Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Samuringa posted:

You realize how much you're asking of us here, right?
Come on, it's Simplified Chinese :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Considering how many people were unsatisfied with this month's Humble, I figure not many of you will care but there are two early reveals and they are...extremely underwhelming

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I didn't play much of Dungeons 1 before giving up on it, but aren't 2 and 3 supposed to be a lot better?

I just finished War for the Overworld (just the base campaign) and had a good time with it, but not so much that I'm that interested in getting the DLC for it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

Come on, it's Simplified Chinese :smug:

I learned Chinese from Sleeping Dogs

"Poke Guy"

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I haven't found any quests in crosscode grindy at all but I also 100% explore every region that i go to because I'm Like That so perhaps it would be grindy for people who would prefer a different kind of experience.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Samuringa posted:

Considering how many people were unsatisfied with this month's Humble, I figure not many of you will care but there are two early reveals and they are...extremely underwhelming

Dungeons 3 is really fun

Armor-Piercing posted:

I didn't play much of Dungeons 1 before giving up on it, but aren't 2 and 3 supposed to be a lot better?

I just finished War for the Overworld (just the base campaign) and had a good time with it, but not so much that I'm that interested in getting the DLC for it.

2 and 3 are completely different games from 1. They adopt way more of the Dungeon Keeper format for managing your dungeons and introduce RTS-style overworld gameplay. I wouldn't play them if you've already had enough of War for the Overworld, though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hidden Folks is fun!

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
(Basically just re-posting what I said on RPS about Star Control: Origins. I'd originally written it after playing for 5 hours, and now that I've gotten sucked into playing 20 hours with the game over the last couple days [pretty much playing non-stop since the release] I still feel the same way.)

Star Control: Origins is really fun and well made. It feels like a modern, updated version of Star Control 2 with a new(ish) story, new races, excellent and hilarious writing, and good space battles in the style of the original Star Control 1/2. The planetary stuff is, in my opinion, better than in SC2 but can still get kinda tedious in the beginning when you’re figuring out what’s worth getting and your ship is still slow and sucky.

Side note: No, I don’t work for Stardock, but I have (for example) made my peace with buying stuff from EA in the past 5 years. And if somebody here is dead set on selling me on the idea that Stardock is worth boycotting in spite of making what may very well be my favorite game released this year, you’re going to have to explain to me how they’re a worse publisher than EA, slayer of studios.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

teamcharlie posted:

Side note: No, I don’t work for Stardock, but I have (for example) made my peace with buying stuff from EA in the past 5 years. And if somebody here is dead set on selling me on the idea that Stardock is worth boycotting in spite of making what may very well be my favorite game released this year, you’re going to have to explain to me how they’re a worse publisher than EA, slayer of studios.

It's a stolen property made by a litigious abusive piece of poo poo who is actively preventing a real sequel from being made?

You're obviously trolling though because the game sucks rear end just like everything else Stardock does.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Armor-Piercing posted:

FWIW I played through Dungeons 3 earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. The humor can be a bit cringy and meme-centric at times, but I thought the game itself was really fun. The campaign did an excellent job of coming up with new and interesting scenarios and I thought the interaction between the overworld and the underworld was a lot of fun.

I will say that there are a few ways to game the AI and make it little on the easy side, but I didn't really mind that as I loved the early challenge of getting my dungeon off of the ground before I inevitably built a fortress of doom and curbstomped the heroes into paste.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
here i wrote a review

Dragon Quest 11 is really good, but it's good in a way that may not appeal to you. If you like SNES-era JRPGS then you'll love this, and if you don't, then you won't. The music is weird and is entirely midi-based, the combat is somewhat basic (though it's fast-paced enough that it doesn't waste your time), and the storytelling is broken up by boat exploration and some light dungeon crawling. It's basically a 16-bit RPG with the graphics scaled way, way, way up, and if that sounds appealing to you then you will, 100%, love this game. Iconic JRPG moments return, but usually without the things that secretly make them a pain in the rear end when you revisit them. The best example of this is early on, when you and your cool thief friend have to escape prison through the sewers. Everyone remembers doing that in Chrono Trigger, but it was in a ton of RPGs back then and it is a memorable thing that actually kind of sucked because, you know, sewer dungeons always suck. Here, it's mostly just a couple cutscenes and a cool action scene with a dragon in it, so you get the cool moment without all the bullshit. You get the nostalgia without having to actually play FF4 again. Also, lots of puns. So many puns

If you got into JRPGs later on and you expect action-heavy combat, or complicated leveling systems, then you might not like it. If you want a game that doesn't have a chosen hero, stay away. The characters are all JRPG party member cliches in a way, but they're well-realized and likeable and they get cool moments and character development and you'll have fun with them so who cares. Chrono Trigger has a bunch of cliches and people think that's the best JRPG ever made! Instead of going for nostalgia by having crappy graphics and grindy combat, this game does it by simply being a good RPG designed in the way they were long ago, with the rough edges filed off. And that makes it special and cool and good.

I guess in a way this is one of those games where a bad review and a good review will be about the exact same things. But I like it and I'm always right, so it gets a 10/10

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Samuringa posted:

I’ve had those in my wishlist for a while, so this actually makes me pretty happy :shobon:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's actually really good; I was waiting for Dungeons 3 to get a sale.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I’ll summarize your review

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ham Shatwich?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tales From The Borderlands is good guys

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I should have clarified when I said "underwhelming", I didn't mean it as they're bad games, but more that they're games I expected to show in a weekly bundle and not a monthly.

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Those new unlocks look nice. I'll probably keep my subscription.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Haven't seen anyone really talking about it, so have my review of The Bard's Tale 4.

I'm liking it, but various design choices and outstanding bugs are making it hard to recommend yet. Game's got a pleasant mix of combat and puzzles, feels like something I played in my past. The combat is fairly non-standard; you have 3+ Opportunity points to spend across your entire party's actions every turn. Bard songs and spells have no Opportunity cost, but they require you to generate spell points during combat. It leads to an odd style where I've been setting up 1-3 people to do the majority of my party's damage with the rest standing around as meatshields or support bots.

The environments I've played through so far are very maze-like and keep various puzzles and secrets. Some stuff you need to come back to later after you've learned a song to do a thing, pretty much like getting a new ability in a Metroidvania. Nothing mandatory to getting to the next plot point has been too hard so far, but there are some optional things I've needed to make a note of for later.

That being said, bugs/design choices are pissing me off too frequently. Save points, which you are encouraged to cannibalize for XP. No respeccing, which sucks with named NPCs having skills you don't need/want on them. No inventory sorting (will be patched sometime?), game optimization is poor (again, working on patches for that), I've lost a skill point on one of my characters, and more. It feels like I'm playing a beta test.

But the game itself is enjoyable as someone who's played lots of RPGs. Hopefully most of the questionable stuff will be changed/fixed in a few months and at that point I'd easily recommend buying it sometime.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Samuringa posted:

Considering how many people were unsatisfied with this month's Humble, I figure not many of you will care but there are two early reveals and they are... pretty cool

fixed that for you

Dungeons 3 is a worthy successor to Dungeons 2 (many of you probably have it nested deep in your backlog), and Hidden Folks is a fun take on Where's Waldo for the whole family.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Impermanent posted:

I haven't found any quests in crosscode grindy at all but I also 100% explore every region that i go to because I'm Like That so perhaps it would be grindy for people who would prefer a different kind of experience.

Yeah I agree, I don't know where people are getting the impression it's super grindy from? If you want a specific piece of gear from a trader you might have to go kill a few monsters, but if you're fighting pretty regularly you probably have enough mats already.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm used to games where "grind" means going through an area once, killing all the poo poo, and that'll leave you ready for the area boss. CrossCode expects you to kill the same few groups of monsters over and over until you're ready to move on to the next groups. It's a goddamn shame because everything else about the game is great, but that one thing keeps dragging it down for me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I'm about 8 hours into Crosscode and I'm already getting kinda bored, which doesn't bode well considering how massive the game world seems. Just finished the first real "dungeon", and it definitely overstayed it's welcome near the end.

It's a really well made game though, the short tutorials for everything are quick and to the point, and the UI is really slick. They put a lot of thought into everything.

Edit: Also gently caress Bergen, that town is a clusterfuck.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

EDIT: speaking of super anime, are any of the anime dungeon crawlers on steam actually good?

We were just talking about those a few pages back! I've been on a big drpg kick lately. Labyrinth of Refrain and Operation Babel are probably your best bets for anime dungeon crawler. As discussed earlier Labyrinth has the typical NIS anime girl art for a few of the classes (which is at least avoidable) and one very uncomfortable scene a few hours in, but I haven't seen anything like that since.

Operation Babel is a lot cheaper and not as slickly produced as Labyrinth but has p much no anime creepiness and is still a fun game. Stranger of Sword City has great art to it but in my opinion isn't as fun as the two mentioned above. There's also Lords of the Seal which is an indie drpg made in RPG Maker by one Japanese dude but I can't speak to the quality.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Really Pants posted:

I'm used to games where "grind" means going through an area once, killing all the poo poo, and that'll leave you ready for the area boss. CrossCode expects you to kill the same few groups of monsters over and over until you're ready to move on to the next groups. It's a goddamn shame because everything else about the game is great, but that one thing keeps dragging it down for me.

I mean, this sounds like it could apply to almost any rpg though? Especially jrpgs.

The enemies are kind of simple so far but I imagine mid-late game ones will be more difficult. And if you don't want to fight, most of them won't even attack you until you hit them first.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Which is fine right up until the points where you have to fight, and you're too underleveled to do anything so you have to go right back to those hedgehags and hillkats. Again.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, this sounds like it could apply to almost any rpg though? Especially jrpgs.

I quit playing jrpgs for that exact reason, and I have no memory of Seiken Densetsu 3 ever playing like that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Which is fine right up until the points where you have to fight, and you're too underleveled to do anything so you have to go right back to those hedgehags and hillkats. Again.

:shrug: all I can say is I haven't experienced this yet, but I also really enjoy the writing so I've been doing a lot of side quests.

Oh also, getting up to A-S rank with enemies that are about your level will almost always result in a level up in my experience

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

BurningCourage posted:

We were just talking about those a few pages back! I've been on a big drpg kick lately. Labyrinth of Refrain and Operation Babel are probably your best bets for anime dungeon crawler. As discussed earlier Labyrinth has the typical NIS anime girl art for a few of the classes (which is at least avoidable) and one very uncomfortable scene a few hours in, but I haven't seen anything like that since.

Have you reached what I'm gonna refer to the "Tower of fetishes" yet? Because the creepiness of the writing really takes off around there.
Also, speaking off, the "main" story seems to detach itself more and more from the in-dungeon story around that point, as if they were written by two different people that suddenly stopped communicating. I had about 3 or 4 "report back to base" objectives at some point that only resulted in some story scenes about one of the main characters baking a cake. Not even any mention of any of the progress in the dungeon itself.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

uhh is that the game with the disturbingly touchy tentacles some goon posted about earlier or is that another japanese dungeon crawler i'm thinking of

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Have you reached what I'm gonna refer to the "Tower of fetishes" yet? Because the creepiness of the writing really takes off around there.
Also, speaking off, the "main" story seems to detach itself more and more from the in-dungeon story around that point, as if they were written by two different people that suddenly stopped communicating. I had about 3 or 4 "report back to base" objectives at some point that only resulted in some story scenes about one of the main characters baking a cake. Not even any mention of any of the progress in the dungeon itself.

I'm in Melm atm, was butting my head vs the troll shaman then got told it was optional so onto Verdant whateverthefuck it's called next. And I agree on the story and dungeon disconnect, the crawling feels only tangental to the storyline right now. As you say feels like two different teams worked on it.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

uhh is that the game with the disturbingly touchy tentacles some goon posted about earlier or is that another japanese dungeon crawler i'm thinking of

That's Operation Babel, one of the early game enemies.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

BurningCourage posted:

I'm in Melm atm, was butting my head vs the troll shaman then got told it was optional so onto Verdant whateverthefuck it's called next. And I agree on the story and dungeon disconnect, the crawling feels only tangental to the storyline right now. As you say feels like two different teams worked on it.

If you're having issues with the troll king, there's two quick hints I can give.
There is a room in the Melm area that has a bunch of enemy orbs that have a high chance of spawning those silver tongue thingies. These are basically DQ metal slimes, and give a whopping 7500 exp per kill. Ignore the karma cost, it's negligible.
Synthesize can basically triple the stats of any given item, and can make your main damage dealers into absolute monsters.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Holy gently caress that piggy is cute from Dragon Quest. I really need this game.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012

Sio posted:

It's a stolen property made by a litigious abusive piece of poo poo who is actively preventing a real sequel from being made?

Aaaaand how does that respond to my point that Stardock still isn't as lovely as EA, which people don't seem to be actively trying to boycott nearly as hard?

Sio posted:

You're obviously trolling though because the game sucks rear end just like everything else Stardock does.

Glad to hear you've definitely played through the game and are in a position to criticize it instead of just repeating poo poo you heard. What did you think of the Trandal storyline? Did you feel bad for the Pinthi or did you agree with the Commander's judgment? What did you think of the changes to space combat and how the flagship upgrades?

</sarcasm>

Like I said, Star Control: Origins is a really good game. People are totally free to skip it if they like, but it's pretty lame to try to argue that you're skipping it because it's a bad game. It's not at all a bad game. It's really fun and well made. Whatever the suits said or did, the devs did really good work. They cared about making a game that could live up to Star Control 2, and it shows.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The changes to space combat are underwhelming and the changes to landers are inexcusable. Also they keep making characters say Hilarious Dialog which is insufferable

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There are enough good games being released that missing a few by companies I don't like isn't a big deal.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

teamcharlie posted:

Aaaaand how does that respond to my point that Stardock still isn't as lovely as EA, which people don't seem to be actively trying to boycott nearly as hard?

Glad to hear you've definitely played through the game and are in a position to criticize it instead of just repeating poo poo you heard. What did you think of the Trandal storyline? Did you feel bad for the Pinthi or did you agree with the Commander's judgment? What did you think of the changes to space combat and how the flagship upgrades?

</sarcasm>

Like I said, Star Control: Origins is a really good game. People are totally free to skip it if they like, but it's pretty lame to try to argue that you're skipping it because it's a bad game. It's not at all a bad game. It's really fun and well made. Whatever the suits said or did, the devs did really good work. They cared about making a game that could live up to Star Control 2, and it shows.

We found the Brad Wardell account

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think the real Brad Wardell would already be threatening everyone

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

maybe don't be surprised at people getting a bad first impression when the first alien you meet is this

hilarity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

teamcharlie posted:

Aaaaand how does that respond to my point that Stardock still isn't as lovely as EA

drat dude you really know how to pick your battles