Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It would not be worth it to spend any money on lootboxes, even for the purposes of speeding up Act 4. Better orcs or gear will not actually make doing the missions faster or easier, if you don't have the combat down by that point you will die a lot and if you do then having legendary orcs will not add much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Yeah, that makes sense. I hear about people with ridiculous leveled fortresses or armies, and assumed they did the pay to win. Maybe they just grinded the hell out of it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

EVERSPACETM is beautiful and a great product of UE4's graphics but wow does it feel bullshit far too often. The format of the game feels like it was made for me and it's really fun a majority of the time, but then when you lose it's so sudden and frustrating that it ruins most of the enjoyment. I do not know how to predict or what to do when it randomly makes 5 ships including an elite appear right on top of you with no warning.

On my most recent run I did great and got nearly twice as far as my next best, halfway through sector 5, but then lost when it spawned in an enemy whose shields started and finished recharging faster than I was physically able to remove them with my weapons. Every few seconds it would blink somewhere behind me which gave it the mere second and a half it needed to get its shields back to full with nothing I could do. I spent at least a minute on this one ship before four more ships randomly spawned in next to me all at once, and that was that. Awesome.

Making a loss feel like it wasn't bullshit and was avoidable if you had done X, Y or Z is an important thing for a roguelite (or any game, really) and everspace fails hard at that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

Infinite use revolver + infinite use guitar.
Unless things change substantially in the PC version I believe infinite guns are actually quite a bit weaker than their ammo-using counterparts. This is however not true for melee weapons.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kragger99 posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I hear about people with ridiculous leveled fortresses or armies, and assumed they did the pay to win. Maybe they just grinded the hell out of it.
I think there are level 540 forts at most. Poop-sockers have everything maxed and you can't pay for faster levels beyond buying XP boosters which only double your custom XP gain for two hours each at over 70% per mission, but the Act 4 invasions give out tons of XP. In the end, they still have only one option out of three for each Warchief that regular players know ahead of time and that is for each fort. 7 orcs at level 60, times four-five forts, and the bodyguards on each map.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So if I really enjoyed engaging in the open world stuff in Shadow of Mordor, I should love Shadow of War right? Been playing through Mordor again and everything that isn't plot related is just so goddamn fun. Easily in my top 10 games of all time. The negative thoughts about War have made me hesitant to shell out the money for everything, especially since Mordor is forever on sale at $5 for the whole game + DLCs
I am still finishing up the story stuff in Act 2 and almost have all the upgrades you can get for all your army/forts which are still level gated, about 70000 regular cash and a dozen gold boxes I bought with gold from the dailies, community events, and pre-order stuff. The game opens up if you do the story stuff in a couple hours to get to Act 2, where you eventually brand captains and be able to do multiple challenges a day to get gold and build your army based around how many levels you have and unlocking level gated Warchief positions. Beating the Overlord challenge gives you enough gold to get half a dozen boxes of several player level-centered items/orcs in a package you should hold off on opening while you unlock more stuff as you progress in the game.

There are several ways you can get boxes that involve tons of murder and helping or destroying the stuff your friends put effort into it. All the money you put into each fort are one time payments, so you will eventually be buying dozens of silver boxes with all that leftover money costing 1500 each and using those garbage captains as chaff for attacking online forts, while your good captains are defending the forts and won't die from other players.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 23, 2017

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Lately I've been playing Paint the Town Red custom maps and it's quite a development to witness from "irish bar simulator lol!!1" to "Well everyone is still the same but set on incredibly detailed maps of towns and apartment complexes." The Kershner maps are well worth a play, specially on how the Sunday map goes on... and on, and on.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I never expected to hear about Paint the Town Red again. Woah. Still EA though.
-
E: Actually, the loot boxes that I opened (with the 500 they give you) helped me greatly by giving me gear at my level which kept my damage output up. I was also the type to recruit/shame orcs almost 90% of the time instead of killing them, so I wasn't doing death threats for better drops.

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 23, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DrNutt posted:

AH, I'LL BUY IT AT A HIGH PRICE!

not at all an exaggeration. I was trying to keep the volume down so as to not bother my gf last night and the merchant was easily the loudest thing in the game.

HEH heh HEH, thank you.

Kragger99 posted:

Cheat engine. AFAIK the only server-checked thing in SoW is the premium currency.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Jamfrost posted:

I never expected to hear about Paint the Town Red again. Woah. Still EA though.

Yeah for quite a while it was stuck on coding maps and other stuff (So the STEAM forums for it were full of map suggestion ideas and character model ideas) until an arena mode was added, which sort of gave it a bit more content. (There's another official future update for "Beneath", which is gonna be a dungeon crawler with skills and items), but... the custom map ordeal more than makes up for it for now.

Some of them are relatively straight forward in terms of design

But then you get to some of the more ambitious ones like the Kershner ones. I mean seriously. The Siberia and Sunday ones are the ones I'd pick if I wanted to sell someone in this game.

The only major issue is this game being slow due to non-optimization! But otherwise, the sheer amount of extra maps being made make this well worth your time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
oi you fucks is danganronpa 3 decent or is it a disaster like that side-game that i was unfortunate enough to learn about

like i'm not gonna buy it now because i have way too many games on the backlog but i finished 2 on a whim and it was good so i wouldn't mind going for another round of super high-school fucks getting murdered eventually

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Nippon Ichi Software was nice enough to give me a key for this one to include in my month of spooks, and I ended up liking it quite a bit. I think I got it because the sequel comes out tomorrow.

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold
2. Rusty Lake Hotel
3. Rusty Lake: Roots
4. Left in the Dark: No One on Board
5. Daily Chthonicle: Editor's Edition
6. Eleusis
7. Dead Effect
8. Dead Effect 2
9. State of Decay
10. Dead End Road
11. Goetia
12. EMPORIUM
13. F.E.A.R.
14. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
15. F.E.A.R. 3
16. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
17. Bloody Streets
18. Layers of Fear
19. Dark Fall 2: Lights Out
20. Painkiller: Black Edition
21. Doorways: The Underworld
22. Doorways: Holy Mountains of Flesh

23. Yomawari: Night Alone

Cuteness and horror go together like chocolate and orange; not everyone is going to appreciate the combination, but those that do find it delicious. I’m not talking about an adorable doll coming to life and murdering people, I’m talking about adorable characters struggling against adorable antagonists. Cuteness doesn’t take me out of the moment, instead I find it enhances that key element of horror where you are faced with something familiar or comforting that has been corrupted in some way. Yomawari: Night Alone does just that, taking charming doodles and drawings and teaching you to fear and distrust them. It might also teach you to hate them, but with enough patience you’ll find a fine tale of terror here.

Your button-eyed, bobble-headed protagonist is out walking her dog one night in a place she very obviously should not be. A sharp, tragic shock follows that leaves the little lass all alone in the night, searching for her missing family. Her search takes her all across her darkened neighborhood and the surrounding rice fields, forests, factories, and other haunted places. She’s not really alone though, because on this particular night there are more spirits out than munchkins on Halloween. And these are out for blood, not candy.

The game plays out over seven chapters, each one starting from the relative safety of the little girl’s home. She’ll decide a goal for herself, usually following a lead into a specific part of her town, and then you’re left to guide her. The map is quite open, moreso as you get into later chapters, so there’s plenty of exploring to do if you’re up for finding weird monsters and collectibles. In addition to the dozens of items you can find, there are certain spirits you can only encounter in specific places or under special conditions, as well as ones just hanging around to creep you out.

This gets at what’s so special about Yomawari, and why its atmosphere is so effective. The open map allows you to go wherever you feel like and see what you want to see, and early on it’s going to be confusing and terrifying. The narrow, twisting streets of rural Japan can hide all sorts of secrets, with mysterious shrines and suspiciously vacant lots right in the middle of neighborhoods. When you find a new place or encounter a new spirit, you’re not going to know how safe you are or what you might uncover if you delve deeper. Hostile spirits are often obvious but others might simply stand around, staring at nothing, or vanish without a trace. They’re as mercurial and unpredictable as you might imagine ghosts would be, at least until you learn their habits.

The game mechanics support this feeling of unease, but can also turn it into one of frustration. When you get near a spirit you’ll hear your heartbeat, rising in intensity as you draw closer. You have a generous sprint meter for scooting around town but it drains faster the closer you are to monsters, making escape a difficult proposition if you get too close. You can also hide in bushes and behind signs, obscuring your vision and leaving you to judge when it’s safe by how hard your heart is beating. And then you have usable items like rocks and salt which can distract or slow enemies to help you slip away.

All of this is great, but it’s not applied in a very well thought-out manner. Most of your usable items are hard to use effectively and some are only effective on one or two enemies. Some enemies can be evaded or juked easily while others will pursue you relentlessly. And sometimes the rules themselves break down, with no heartbeat for spirits that charge out of nowhere, or pounding heartbeats for ones that are completely benign (as far as I know). These outliers produce memorable moments of terror or dread, but can frustrate when they lead to death. If something catches you, you die and head back to the last shrine you stopped at or checkpoint in story-heavy areas. One-hit kills are always a recipe for aggravation, and a few of the “boss” spirits can be extremely hard to avoid until you get totally familiar with their encounters after a dozen deaths or so.

There were a few spirits, the Grudge girl (of course there’s a Grudge girl) and the factory thing in particular, that made me consider giving up on the game. But these moments of frustration are surrounded by creepy hikes through the Japanese countryside, skirting past drowned spirits and human-faced dogs to find cryptic notes scribbled in crayon. The bizarre, otherworldly appeal of Silent Hill and Siren is here in small places, obscured by the soft shapes of your doll-like protagonist and the sketchbook weirdness of the spirits after her. It’s hard to tell if you’re wandering a haunted town or haunted by your own demons, and that uncertainty is what draws a lot of people to Japanese horror in the first place.

I was honestly surprised at how often Yomawari could startle me, with spirits bursting out of alleyways and narrow escapes being far too narrow for comfort. But I was also surprised at how often it could frustrate me, when I had to repeat those escapes a dozen times or retrace steps over and over. You have to approach it with the right mindset, one ready to learn the quirks of quirky horrors and comb the streets for lost shoes and dolls. With a warm and inviting art style and delightfully sharp sound design, it’s a great package to spend hours wandering around in. Yomawari features some quality weird horror from Japan in a dark, colorful world to explore, and that’s plenty to keep me poking around.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Dias posted:

oi you fucks is danganronpa 3 decent or is it a disaster like that side-game that i was unfortunate enough to learn about

like i'm not gonna buy it now because i have way too many games on the backlog but i finished 2 on a whim and it was good so i wouldn't mind going for another round of super high-school fucks getting murdered eventually

Consensus is that it has some of the best writing/murders/trials in the series, but the very final hour is so divisive it leaves many going either "Holy poo poo this is awesome!" or "Holy poo poo gently caress this series forever!" with no room in between. If you liked the 2nd one you're likely to like most of this one at least.
But it is certainly not even close as terrible as Ultra Despair Girls.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
For people who like the Zachtronics stuff, Human Resource Machine and the like, check out Silicon Zeroes. I just started and I'm really liking it so far. It's about cows.

quote:

"The best game about CPU design that I can imagine." -- Zach Barth (SpaceChem, TIS-100).

I has a demo as well.

Edit: We should have a megathread for these types of games, a lot of them are too niche to support a thread alone, but a place for the genre would be cool. But I'm already behind with the one thread I maintain and don't want to take on another.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 23, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So, if just the title sets off my "too anime for me" alarm, I should give it a pass, right?

If you don't have some appreciation for dating sims I don't think the game is going to work nearly as well for you. It plays on the tropes that dating sims fall into, as well as the tropes the girls typically fall into as well. For instance (spoilers for post-crazy poo poo) one of the girls, Yuri, is the really shy girl trope. And most of the time she does what those type of girls do, and will shyly look away, or become embarrassed and turn their heads to the side, etc. Frequently trying to not look at you. At some point after things start to go crazy, she basically breaks her "programming" to go up close to the screen and her eyes become wide and bloodshot and just stare at you, saying how she just wants to keep looking at you. Cause she can't normally.

Now that particular part is creepy on its own just cause of the way it looks but it works a lot better when you're familiar with the tropes. The whole game is like that. It does a bunch of meta stuff but unlike something like Undertale where it's all pretty general so anyone can appreciate it, I think you specifically have to somewhat appreciate dating sims/visual novels to really get the most of this. Although there's a thing near the end that I think anyone would find cool/interesting

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I don't entirely agree, the only visual novels I've played are the Zero Escape series and the Danganronpa series and I enjoyed DDLC. I've also only watched a couple of animes - Studio Ghibli stuff and Akira - and read no Manga. I'm sure I would have got more out of it if I actually knew what tropes the girls fell into, but to take your example for, um, example - the shy girl turning super obsessed and staring at you was creepy enough without needing to know that there's a shy girl trope. The game does make each girl's defining characteristics clear after all.

All that said, you have to be able to put with an hour or so of decently written but almost completely straight dating sim type stuff in order to find out if you actually like the rest, so if you really don't want to do that I can't blame you. The game definitely looked like something I'd never dream of playing, and I'm glad I did, but I'm willing to take a chance on pretty much anything if I hear enough praise for it, and while I don't really engage with much anime stuff I'm not deathly allergic to it like some people.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GhostDog posted:

Edit: We should have a megathread for these types of games, a lot of them are too niche to support a thread alone, but a place for the genre would be cool. But I'm already behind with the one thread I maintain and don't want to take on another.

There's a puzzle game megathread of sorts in Imp Zone

but yeah, there are really only individual threads for new Zachtronics games

Anyways, I came here to post about Engare, which just released today. It looks weird and gorgeous.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Anyone play Monolith and have opinions? It is the chrono.gg deal today.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

GhostDog posted:

For people who like the Zachtronics stuff, Human Resource Machine and the like, check out Silicon Zeroes. I just started and I'm really liking it so far. It's about cows.

I has a demo as well.

This game has a thread already, and is made by a goon

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Dias posted:

It's good, but there are a few things happening in it that made some fans really hate it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

il_cornuto posted:

I don't entirely agree, the only visual novels I've played are the Zero Escape series and the Danganronpa series and I enjoyed DDLC. I've also only watched a couple of animes - Studio Ghibli stuff and Akira - and read no Manga. I'm sure I would have got more out of it if I actually knew what tropes the girls fell into, but to take your example for, um, example - the shy girl turning super obsessed and staring at you was creepy enough without needing to know that there's a shy girl trope. The game does make each girl's defining characteristics clear after all.

All that said, you have to be able to put with an hour or so of decently written but almost completely straight dating sim type stuff in order to find out if you actually like the rest, so if you really don't want to do that I can't blame you. The game definitely looked like something I'd never dream of playing, and I'm glad I did, but I'm willing to take a chance on pretty much anything if I hear enough praise for it, and while I don't really engage with much anime stuff I'm not deathly allergic to it like some people.

Well that's why I said it won't work as well, instead of not at all. Like my example like I said is creepy but it feels a lot more effective when you're familiar with that girl's trope.

I think the biggest hurdle like you said honestly is the hour or two you spend before getting to the stuff the warning before the game is about. If someone doesn't like dating sims/visual novels at all I can see them struggling to get through that. Although even in that part of the game there's hints and forshadowing and stuff if you're looking for it.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Some one spoil the doki doki game for me please
not the arabian mario one

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kly posted:

it looks like a vn, but its actually good

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kly posted:

It delves into mental issues like depression, anxiety, and what happens if the fourth wall shatters and you realize the author of the game you're in screwed you over.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

This game has a thread already, and is made by a goon

Thanks, didn't know that.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Kly posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836996

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

It delves into mental issues like depression, anxiety, and what happens if the fourth wall shatters and you realize the author of the game you're in screwed you over.

Tell me more about the spoiled part, im curios about it but not enough to put in the time to play or read/watch an lp of it
From the bits nd pieces ive read is it a character in the game can reprogram it and it messes with other characters?

Kly fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 23, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kly posted:

Tell me more about the spoiled part, im curios about it but not enough to put in the time to play or read/watch an lp of it

BIG SPOILERS FOR DOKI DOKI LITERATURE CLUB

Okay! As you play through the game - it's a typical school romance visual novel where you join the Literature Club and spend time with one of four girls. You choose to show them your poetry, hang out, learn about them, eventually lead to a romance, and prep for the school festival.

BIG TWIST SPOILERS FOLLOW AND ENDING SPOILERS PLAY THE GAME FIRST

Then your best friend, and the girl who talked you into joining the club, commits suicide by hanging herself. You naturally flip out, and the game ends...and on the main menu screen the new game button is glitched. It takes you through the game again, but that girl is just glitched out, and there's some creepy moments and a few jump scares because something is obviously messed up here. Only... the fourth girl, who you couldn't really hang out with - your choices wound up being your best friend, the short girl, or the tall girl, but not Monika - well, she seems to notice that things are messed up.

Things...get worse. The tall girl's mental illness gets intensely bad, and it turns into a horror game for a bit when she stabs herself, and then - Monika stops the game, and talks to you in private. Not you the character, but you the player. She explains that she was trying to change the game so that you wouldn't hang out with the other girls - see, she made their illnesses even worse so they'd be too insane to want to hang out with - so you'd choose her. But you didn't/couldn't.

So she hacked the game, deleted everyone else, and now it's just you and her. You...and her. She has like 40+ conversations that you can have with her about different topics, but it takes ages to get through them all, so you're probably going to do the heavily hinted meta thing and go into the game's files and delete her.

Boot the game back up, she freaks out, vanishes, and you... can start a new game! Your childhood friend is back, Monika is gone, and... well, it devolves into chaos for a short scene as your childhood friend, in lieu of Monika being there, has realized that she's a character now too, and things go crazy. Monika comes back somehow, the game ends, and there's a really touching credits song about Monika's feelings about the whole mess.

It's basically pretty elaborate for a free visual novel, with some cool effects, a good perspective on mental illness before spoilers take over, and given that it's like 2-4 hours in length, easy to experience! I enjoyed it, I hope whatever the team does next is good, and I hope the fandom doesn't go insane.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

I has a demo as well.

This is really cool. I love all the conceptual stuff behind programming and computer science... not so much the work to actually do stuff, so these games are rad

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kly posted:

senpai notices you

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Really Pants posted:

senpai notices you

:aaaaa:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

BIG SPOILERS FOR DOKI DOKI LITERATURE CLUB

Awesome, thank you, thats exactly what i was looking for. Sounds neat.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kly posted:

Awesome, thank you, thats exactly what i was looking for. Sounds neat.

:cheers: Happy to help!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hope the fandom doesn't go insane.

Good luck with that.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Chin Strap posted:

I really like Monolith. It's biggest strength is that its very concise. There's less content than in something like Binding of Isaac, but what is in Monolith is very good and even, there is no chaff. The gameplay is tight, the dressing is very charming, and the soundtrack rules, if the trailer looks fun to you I'd say you'll get your five dollars worth for sure.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Important life advice: do not engage with the fandom.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there is a little more to it but that's the gist

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is Bomber Crew good? I was all set to get Silicon Zeroes but then this game seems pretty cool too

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is Bomber Crew good? I was all set to get Silicon Zeroes but then this game seems pretty cool too

It is very good.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

Nippon Ichi Software was nice enough to give me a key for this one to include in my month of spooks, and I ended up liking it quite a bit. I think I got it because the sequel comes out tomorrow.

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

23. Yomawari: Night Alone

Yomawari Stuff

Basically felt the same way about it. The intro is quite well-done and made me want to play more but the gameplay mechanics are so frustrating. In particular, I remember having to redo the factory escape scene about a dozen times. I even looked up a gameplay video to make sure I wasn't missing something about it, but no, there's just a really small margin of error for that section. I think NIS realized this was a problem for the game overall and that's why dying has so little negative impact for the most part.

I was kind of excited when the sequel was announced because the bad stuff about Yomawari seems easy enough to fix, but early reviews I saw a couple of months ago for the jp release seem to imply it was more of the same in frustration level, which is too bad. NIS seems to specialize in games that interest me just enough to push through the frustration to play them. The Firefly Diary is probably the most annoying and frustrating game I've finished in years but the story hooks are quite interesting and it's worth a try for anyone that can put with copious amounts of bullshit. This type of stuff is the main reason I haven't tried A Rose in the Twilight, which is supposed to be a similar game.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

probably game of the year