Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

il_cornuto posted:

Wait, was yestedays "present" on the Humble advent calender thing actually just a helmet for Vermintide? Like, just a helmet for a dwarf and nothing else?

Getting disappointing garbage is keeping with the tradition of advent calendars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

il_cornuto posted:

Wait, was yestedays "present" on the Humble advent calender thing actually just a helmet for Vermintide? Like, just a helmet for a dwarf and nothing else?

A helmet of impeccable craftsmanship, named in remembrance of King Zaladrin of Karak Azgaraz. The father of Thuringar Orc-hewer, the current king of Karak Azgaraz, Zaladrin fell victim to goblin assassins after leading his throng to a glorious victory against the Bleeding Moon tribe at the Battle of High Mere. Karak Azgaraz is located south of Ubersreik, and shares much common history with the imperial town. In 1707, the throng of Karak Azgaraz defended Ubersreik against the orcs of the Ironclaw tribe, but were forced to retreat. During the Great War Against Chaos, King Zaladrin marched all the way to Kislev to aid Magnus the Pious, and could therefore not spare any warriors for Ubersreik when the town was once again under attack from the greenskins. In recompense, Zaladrin sent his finest craftsmen to rebuild Ubersreik's walls and construct the bridge over the river Teufel.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Karak Azgaraz

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

A helmet of impeccable craftsmanship, named in remembrance of King Zaladrin of Karak Azgaraz. The father of Thuringar Orc-hewer, the current king of Karak Azgaraz, Zaladrin fell victim to goblin assassins after leading his throng to a glorious victory against the Bleeding Moon tribe at the Battle of High Mere. Karak Azgaraz is located south of Ubersreik, and shares much common history with the imperial town. In 1707, the throng of Karak Azgaraz defended Ubersreik against the orcs of the Ironclaw tribe, but were forced to retreat. During the Great War Against Chaos, King Zaladrin marched all the way to Kislev to aid Magnus the Pious, and could therefore not spare any warriors for Ubersreik when the town was once again under attack from the greenskins. In recompense, Zaladrin sent his finest craftsmen to rebuild Ubersreik's walls and construct the bridge over the river Teufel.

Oh so it's a well made helmet with flavour text. That's OK then.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Scalding Coffee posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/463530/Empires_of_the_Undergrowth/
Game closest to a Sim Ant 2 (SNES version) is up for Early Access.

Holy gently caress, I didn't know that I needed this back in my life. :anttony:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I remember playing the PC version of simAnt as a kid and the red ants driving themselves to extinction while my glorious black ant army conquered the house on their own.

Did the game have difficulty level and I was playing on “dumb” or was the AI just that bad?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that's ... a lot of money. On the other hand, ~110/year isn't that extravagant.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I have an 8 year old account and $16,447.37 total spent.

$1,447.77 worth of gift purchases!

I uh. I shouldn't have looked.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

double nine posted:

that's ... a lot of money. On the other hand, ~110/year isn't that extravagant.

Yeah, that's not much at all. If you had a tracker for time/money spent on all things over the span of 10 years, all the numbers would look terrifying.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I have spent eight million dollars on costume DLC and de-censor patches

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Going to check when I get home, my guess is about €1500.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, that's not much at all. If you had a tracker for time/money spent on all things over the span of 10 years, all the numbers would look terrifying.

Brb, gonna cut down on bread and booze for more vidja games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

double nine posted:

Brb, gonna cut down on bread and booze for more vidja games.

Spend less on candles, you'll be fine

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Leave it to goons to direct me to the accounts page for a depressing morning, although technically not bad over a decade. I have a Switch now and haven't touched a PC game in a few weeks, so hopefully that helps me get through the trying times of the Steam Winter Sale.

Edit: Plus I would hope Pillars of Eternity 2 still comes out early 2018, so I'll have that to tide me over.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 4, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, the total number is scary, but ~350 bucks a year for a regular hobby is actually pretty cheap all things considered.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Does that tracker account for bundles and card money?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

now I wonder if such a thing exists for GOG and how terrifying that number is.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Spermanent Record posted:

Does that tracker account for bundles and card money?

I don't know about card money, but it's based of the Steam record of what you actually spent on each product, so it should count bundles and discounts.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Charles Get-Out posted:

I don't know about card money, but it's based of the Steam record of what you actually spent on each product, so it should count bundles and discounts.

No don't say that. I was hoping someone would pop up and say it doesn't count discounts, or says you paid full price when you use retail keys.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Y'all can remind yourselves that people out there spend more than this on individual phone games, and then either feel better about yourselves or weep for humanity as a whole.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Yeah I've spent less in 10 years of playing steam games than some people spent THIS WEEK buying fake land and ships in a Star Citizen.

I know a guy who's wife left him because he spent over 15k on the Diablo 3 auction house. Imagine being that guy when they disabled it, lol.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

quote:

So there's been this guy who's already spent 450,000 yen on maxing out Scathach in Fate/Grand Order, the mobile Type-Moon title set in the Fate universe (Fate/stay night, Fate/hollow ataraxia, et cetera.)

https://twitter.com/Pchan_kokoniiru

He also runs a livestream where he was streaming some of this. (note: this is a ban spree after people started to flood and calling him the King of P2W and stuff like that.)

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm27794483

Basically, the bottom line is that the game uses a 'gacha' system - aka those capsule toy machines - he had to roll 5 copies of the same card which is estimated to be about 0.65% drop rate. You need to fuse the same card to gain a level, and it powers up your super for combat.

He had only hit 4/5 by spending that money ingame, so he asked his stream followers to lend him money to get the final level since he appears to have already spent his entire life savings.

Someone lent him 500,000 yen yesterday. He's gonna try and do it.

(He stole money from his parents before running away to an internet cafe, supposedly, on top of this.)

For context, 500,000 yen is about 4,100 USD. The total spent would be about 7,800 USD.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=189264983

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Really Pants posted:

I have spent eight million dollars on costume DLC and de-censor patches

I did the same, but with hookers and blow

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rookersh posted:

No don't say that. I was hoping someone would pop up and say it doesn't count discounts, or says you paid full price when you use retail keys.

No idea what exactly it's tracking and how but it definitely won't know how much you paid for a game outside of Steam.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Terminally Bored posted:

Try clearing your cache.
Like Chrome's browsing data? No idea why that would matter, but I tried it, and it didn't.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Mine's not working either, Enhanced Steam or not. Maybe something broke with the recent currency change over here.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Deakul posted:

Holy gently caress, I didn't know that I needed this back in my life. :anttony:

Ya this game looks rad. Early accesses makes me feel uneasy though. Hope it is released soon.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I played through Furi last year on PS4, and decided to pick it up on PC because I really enjoyed it, and it was on sale, and I saw there was some DLC for it.

I've since played through it on normal, and then again on Furier. I got the speedrun achievements last night (holy poo poo the base game feels so much easier coming off of Hard). I'm planning on doing one more run through the story on normal to clear out the achievements for the bad ending and the A + S ranks, but I'm wondering how feasible it is to get an S rank on Furier. It's the only achievement that feels like it might be out of reach. I rarely screw up a parry anymore, but some of the bullet hell phases on Furier are real motherfuckers. Does anyone have on tips on S-ranking Furier? I'm guessing I should just go into practice and try to master each fight before I load my save?

Oh, and I still have to do Bernard. I hosed up and lost on his second to last phase last night, and the fight is so long I didn't have it in me to give it another shot.

I'm glad I picked it up for PC. Playing at 144hz is a real treat.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I do think there should be some kind of legal restrictions to help stop people literally spending their entire life savings on a video game, given that it seems pretty likely there is some kind of mental illness or other therapy worthy problem there. I'm sure some of the big spenders are just really rich people who like wasting money, but I feel like a not insignificant percentage are actually just addicted or whatever.

Actually, do gacha style games fall under gambling laws?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I use ESR Firefox, so I can't see those purchases on Steam games.

Fat Samurai posted:

I remember playing the PC version of simAnt as a kid and the red ants driving themselves to extinction while my glorious black ant army conquered the house on their own.

Did the game have difficulty level and I was playing on “dumb” or was the AI just that bad?
The PC version was barebones and awfully repetitive. The AI is nonexistent and the only challenge was laser spider. The SNES lacked some QOL features, but it was fully fleshed out with a bunch of scenarios the PC version sorely lacked.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

I do think there should be some kind of legal restrictions to help stop people literally spending their entire life savings on a video game, given that it seems pretty likely there is some kind of mental illness or other therapy worthy problem there. I'm sure some of the big spenders are just really rich people who like wasting money, but I feel like a not insignificant percentage are actually just addicted or whatever.

Actually, do gacha style games fall under gambling laws?

As I understand it, gacha games pre-emptively pulled out of Europe thanks to the loot box scandals.

I mean. They are literally gambling, so they should.

e: Here's the thread for discussing gambling in gaming.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Interesting thread, thanks for linking it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

No idea what exactly it's tracking and how but it definitely won't know how much you paid for a game outside of Steam.

I'm glad it doesn't because the "in-game purchases" field would have me :smithicide: for certain

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I don't have a problem with publishers / devs selling cosmetic items, but as soon as you start selling anything that affects leveling or gameplay, it starts to get really scummy. Blind boxes are also scummy, even if all they contain are cosmetic items (unless there's no way to pay real money for them). Just let people pay money for the thing they want to buy and be done with it.

I do miss the days when you could just download user-made high def skin packs for your favorite game. I also understand that this is a concern for cheating and whatnot (for instance, changing all player skins to neon yellow in CS, or whatever).

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

The rather excellent World in Conflict is free on uplay: https://freetrial.ubisoft.com/promotions/wic/12

(I think it's the full thing, rather than just a trial, per Watch Dogs)

e: Black Flag will be free on Dec 12th.

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 4, 2017

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Jesus, $3,085 is a lot more than I expected to spend on steam in the last 8 years. Comes out to about one $30 game a month. I probably haven't touched at least half my backlog for any significant amount of time. I'm sure steam is thrilled about this extension!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just looking at your transaction history and adding everything up.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just looking at your transaction history and adding everything up.
Yep. It also doesn't differentiate between Steambux vs actual cash (or marketplace profit).

95%+ of my total money spent was with free money I made on the marketplace.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, just got the awesome choice in Grim Dawn of picking a skill that shoots out 3 barely visible globs of light that do piddling damage and stun enemies for 1 second, versus shooting out 1 barely visible glob of light that does piddling damage +10% and doesn't stun enemies. I don't think I've ever been happier to request a refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

no one uses https://www.mysteamgauge.com/ ? it tries to reconcile between what you spend on your account and what it's worth