Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

DA:I is remarkable for being one of the most boring games I've ever played. There's nothing obviously terrible about it - it's not particularly buggy, it looks somewhere between okay and pretty good, the writing is all competent. It just totally fails to give you anything to see or do that's in any way interesting. An endless series of map markers with text written by someone who loved tolkein but only ever read the appendices. It's utterly paint by numbers, they didn't even try and put anything new or different in there. I played it through completely maybe 18 months ago, and then forgot it so completely that I was willing to have another go 6 or so months ago, and having put 70+ hours into it once and then played the first 12 or so again, I can honestly barely remember a person or event from it.

ME:A is the same game but in space. It's probably strictly speaking a slightly better game just because a cover shooter makes for more engaging gameplay than a hotkey MMO, but that's the faintest praise in the world. Despite that, I came away from it much worse just because I like ME a lot more than DA - ME had an interesting world and characters with personality, even if the story writers poo poo the bed a little, whereas DA was always just a D&D game set in Oblivion's version of Cyrodiil. Andromeda was such a waste of potential, whereas I kind of expected this of Inquisition.

Neither of them are actually awful games as such, but I can't imagine anyone having enough spare time and money to make playing them a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

The initial period of Stardock gave them a lot of goodwill since they were one of the first to push non-DRM stuff and not to treat their customers like criminals. Then the whole lawsuit happened, which resulted in Wardell coming off as a huge dbag, including the bees stunt.

And then they released a really broken and unfinished game (Elemental: War of Magic) that was so bad they scrubbed their entire "Gamer's bill of rights" stunt from the internet as fast as leftists disavowing previous support for Venezuela.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I had forgotten about Elemental entirely. Jeez, what a mess.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

BobTheJanitor posted:

If you have the upcoming System Shock remake on your wishlist, get used to the idea that a wishlist icon may be the most you ever see of it. I hadn't really been following it much outside of seeing their initial kickstarter pitch video and thinking 'wow that looks great'. (But not actually great enough to drop backer money on, because I've done the kickstarter dance enough to be wary of new studios with big ideas)

I loved SS2 and could never get into the first one, so was very keen for this. The demo was great, but the kickstarter wanted $50 for the game and there was no way I was dropping that sort of money, and definitely not ages before the game was out. And now they hosed up what seemed like a straight-forward plan to just copy an existing game. Knobs.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Azran posted:

I had forgotten about Elemental entirely. Jeez, what a mess.

I've still got the special edition copy I ordered because at the time I'd just discovered SoaSE and was like "Stardock is remaking Master of Magic? gently caress yeah I'm on board for this." Mainly I've been using it as a reminder on my bookshelf be wary of preorders, but recently I've been tempted to send it off to some youtuber like LGR in exchange for them doing a review with a nice clickbaity title like "Brad Wardell's Betrayal" or something, but from a quick check of the Stardock forums you apparently can't register old copies (the special edition came with a separate digital key along with the CD key in the box) to Stardock accounts any more so I guess that wouldn't work.

The paperback tie-in novel, with DLC that was never released IIRC, appears to have been removed from Amazon.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I feel bad for Overgrowth, they were making it for so long and it seemed to be a real labour of love and by all accounts it's just kind of... there?

On the other hand the developers came up with the humble bundle so they're probably fine.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I feel bad for Overgrowth, they were making it for so long and it seemed to be a real labour of love and by all accounts it's just kind of... there?

On the other hand the developers came up with the humble bundle so they're probably fine.

Yeah the two main Wolfire dudes are rich as gently caress now, so Overgrowth just being fine/kinda mediocre is whatever.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

I've still got the special edition copy I ordered because at the time I'd just discovered SoaSE and was like "Stardock is remaking Master of Magic? gently caress yeah I'm on board for this." Mainly I've been using it as a reminder on my bookshelf be wary of preorders, but recently I've been tempted to send it off to some youtuber like LGR in exchange for them doing a review with a nice clickbaity title like "Brad Wardell's Betrayal" or something, but from a quick check of the Stardock forums you apparently can't register old copies (the special edition came with a separate digital key along with the CD key in the box) to Stardock accounts any more so I guess that wouldn't work.

The paperback tie-in novel, with DLC that was never released IIRC, appears to have been removed from Amazon.

DLC for a book?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Digirat posted:

DLC for a book?

A book that came with a code for DLC. Elemental was such a massive failure that the DLC never materialized, though I believe the novel did.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

All Walls Must Fall (review link) is looking fun, anyone have played it? From the description it sounds like a mix of SuperHot and Invisible Inc which sounds right up my alley

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's cheap as gently caress and cool enough an idea that I just went ahead and bought it. Strix did a review a page or two back

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If you want some EA schadenfreude, read up on the making of DA:I sometime. It was such a clusterfuck.

Highlights are the devs being ordered to use Frostbite, then realising it's almost entirely built for FPS rather than an RPG (so there's no provisions for characters having an inventory, parties, character equipment) and being informed mid-way through development that the game had to have a feature-complete release on 360 and PS3 as EA was sure that the PS4 was going to flop.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Every publisher seemed convinced that the PS4 and XB1 were going to be gigantic failures and I’m not really sure why.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Barry Convex posted:

So from early impressions, it sounds like the Yume Nikki re-imagining has ditched the open-ended, non-linear exploration of the original game in favor of grafting the IP onto a linear puzzle-platformer along the lines of a much lower-budget Inside or Little Nightmares. That's a shame.

has not been my experience at all, do they work at polygon?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Zetsubou-san posted:

It's a running theme in many of the negative steam reviews

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Every publisher seemed convinced that the PS4 and XB1 were going to be gigantic failures and I’m not really sure why.

Why would anyone buy a new console when the entire industry is clearly migrating to all games being on phone/tablet?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Zetsubou-san posted:

Hmm, can you elaborate? Well, as much as you can without spoilers.

Some people seem more favorably inclined towards it than others, but "low-budget linear horror puzzle/platformer a la Inside, Limbo, Little Nightmares, etc." is in line with every impression I've seen thus far.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 24, 2018

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Kevin Palpatine posted:

mods, pls punish appropriately

He's not wrong though. Spector's involvement is a pretty big red flag, he's basically on the same level as Peter Molyneux and Tim Schafer.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think, judging by some of their other games like Receiver and Low Light Combat, they're more interested in the broader aspects of game design and building the tech for it than actually completing a full-length product.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Barry Convex posted:

Hmm, can you elaborate? Well, as much as you can without spoilers.

Some people seem more favorably inclined towards it than others, but "low-budget linear horror puzzle/platformer a la Inside, Limbo, Little Nightmares, etc." is in line with every impression I've seen thus far.

i've only played through one door but i know i didn't do everything i could do in that area, a part seems to need an ability i don't have, someone wants an item i haven't found. sure, the main path through that zone might have been side-on, but the side areas were a mix of both that and free-roam

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ceyton posted:

He's not wrong though. Spector's involvement is a pretty big red flag, he's basically on the same level as Peter Molyneux and Tim Schafer.

loving what?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ceyton posted:

I wouldn't say that at all, but the thing is with Spector and a lot of these old heads that are getting dredged up for their nostalgia value is that they haven't shipped a game in a good long while. The reason Prey is so good is because Arkane have been on this grind for the last decade. I think Spector is a very talented designer but he probably should have just kept teaching.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah you shouldn't be excited purely for a game because Person Who Made Good Game is attached to it, but the comparison to Molyneux is very probably the stupidest post I've seen in the Steam thread, which is a hell of an achievement.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Well now, let's have a look at what games Spector has directed in the last 17 years:

- Deus Ex: Invisible War (ugh)
- Thief: Deadly Shadows (flashes of brilliance, but otherwise meh)
- Epic Mickey (uuugh)
- Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (there was a sequel? Huh.)

So he made some fantastic games long ago, but his latest (but granted not-so-recent) stuff has been a lot of disappointment and wasted potential. So why is a comparison to Molyneux and Schafer so ill taken?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ceyton posted:

Well now, let's have a look at what games Spector has directed in the last 17 years:

- Deus Ex: Invisible War (ugh)
- Thief: Deadly Shadows (flashes of brilliance, but otherwise meh)
- Epic Mickey (uuugh)
- Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (there was a sequel? Huh.)

So he made some fantastic games long ago, but his latest (but granted not-so-recent) stuff has been a lot of disappointment and wasted potential. So why is a comparison to Molyneux and Schafer so ill taken?

Because he doesn't go on record and lie about his games regularly? He doesn't over promise and under deliver constantly? Like I get what you think you're saying but it's a terrible set of comparisons, Spector has traditionally been pretty up front about his work. There are plenty of other developers/designers who also made good games two decades ago and have made bad games or no games since without becoming bastions of mistrust. Some of them would even be better comparisons to Molyneux than Spector, and worked on Wing Commander. Or Ultima! :v:

E: And in case the joke isn't obvious, Shroud of the Avatar is releasing for real pretty soon, you really really shouldn't buy it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/MangaGamer/status/967167775759392775

It's not out quite yet, but :woop:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Orv posted:

Yeah the two main Wolfire dudes are rich as gently caress now, so Overgrowth just being fine/kinda mediocre is whatever.

its not whatever for me, who preordered it a decade ago and got something terrible!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Zetsubou-san posted:

i've only played through one door but i know i didn't do everything i could do in that area, a part seems to need an ability i don't have, someone wants an item i haven't found. sure, the main path through that zone might have been side-on, but the side areas were a mix of both that and free-roam

Okay, so it has some backtracking and isn't strictly point-A-to-point-B linear, and I know from the last trailer that it has some areas that are free-roaming 3D rather than side-scrolling 2.5D, but as best I can tell, it still has defined objectives, an order in which you're supposed to complete things, the frequent prospect of death, and other traditional video game-y elements (puzzles, platforming, basic stealth) that were completely absent from the original.

I can't attest to the overall quality, as I haven't played it yet, but I don't see how its design isn't much closer to the likes of Inside or Little Nightmares than that of the original game.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 24, 2018

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ceyton posted:

Spector is the only Origin alumnus that still hasn't made an absolute complete fool of himself. If nothing else, he retains some kind of air of sensibility due to this sentiment:

Orv
May 4, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

its not whatever for me, who preordered it a decade ago and got something terrible!

I think maybe there were some signs along the way that might have prepared you for that eventuality, my dude. Mostly the ten years.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gromit posted:

I loved SS2 and could never get into the first one, so was very keen for this. The demo was great, but the kickstarter wanted $50 for the game and there was no way I was dropping that sort of money, and definitely not ages before the game was out. And now they hosed up what seemed like a straight-forward plan to just copy an existing game. Knobs.
:same: SS1 is just way too dated to have fun, even for nostalgia purposes. I think it would have been easy+cheap to just remake it + few minor changes and would have been finished by now. Not sure why they even decided to change engines, that also seems stupid. Ah well

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

ME:A is the same game but in space. It's probably strictly speaking a slightly better game just because a cover shooter makes for more engaging gameplay than a hotkey MMO, but that's the faintest praise in the world.

Neither of them are actually awful games as such, but I can't imagine anyone having enough spare time and money to make playing them a good idea.

It is not a cover shooter only though. The game doesn't force you to play behind cover all the time. Other than a few tougher enemies you can pretty much go god mode as a vanguard/adept. Never understood people who played ME as a solider type. It is probably the most boring way to play the game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Ulio posted:

Never understood people who played ME as a solider type. It is probably the most boring way to play the game.

For my last play though I decided I hated waiting for cooldowns on powers, so I just rocked adrenaline rush on solider and shot gunned everything in the face at point blank.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

:same: SS1 is just way too dated to have fun, even for nostalgia purposes. I think it would have been easy+cheap to just remake it + few minor changes and would have been finished by now. Not sure why they even decided to change engines, that also seems stupid. Ah well

The original alpha teaser was drat good because it was a direct transplant of the first game, including aesthetics, but with a modern UI, modern controls and a few new details like more exterior views of space.

Then when the kickstarter went insanely over what they expected, they basically decided to try and make a completely new game sharing the name and general plot which fell apart as they weren't budgeted to do that in the first place.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Digirat posted:

They were able to make ME3 in unreal engine instead of frostbite being mandated, which forced them to reinvent the wheel in a hundred different ways

At the same time, the outright offensive balance at launch and revelations like the reason shotguns were so weak out of cover being because they were designed as "in cover" weapons made it clear that the devs themselves had no loving idea what they were doing, and had possibly never actually played a shooter before

The shotgun thing is blown so out of proportion it's ridiculous. What actually happened is that they gave shotguns the same accuracy buff when used from cover than every other gun gets, and balanced around that. Obviously that's not how people use shotguns, but it's not the reason they were weak. They were weak because all guns were trash, and almost all powers were trash. That's why both guns and powers got buffs that started at 100% increases and only went up from there dramatically. They also had the standard Bioware programming dumbness, like nerfing specific multiplayer mechanics based on the singleplayer difficulty setting of the host (and yes, it's still P2P, probably the biggest flaw of the game).

Current version has strong guns and powers that are fun to use, and one map that could have been the blueprint for the rest of the mutliplayer mode if EA hadn't shut down the studio. But even with bad guns and bad powers, the multiplayer was stuff great, because it's just ME3 multiplayer without the dumb keybinds and with a shitton of added mobility.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm kind of feeling ambivalent about it. It sucks that we're probably never going to see the full game done in the style of that original demo, as an actual remake with updated graphics and a modern interface. However, it also means we don't get whatever generic sci-fi shooter they were going to make with the System Shock name slapped on top of it, which is probably a good thing, and leaves the miniscule chance that someone in the future picks up the rights to the original and makes a proper go at it.

Yeah I was keen to play a modern version of the original game, but if that is NOT what we were going to get then it's probably for the best, plus as others mentioned, Prey exists and that is a wonderful spiritual successor to SS.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
There is a fun fighting game in Overgrowth, letting you sneak assassinate or berserk massacre small hordes of evil and quisling mammals, but you have to get through a fair few tough jumping puzzles to play it through. There is also a level editor so you can likely get fights that are non jumping puzzley, and a randomized arena mode.

Speaking of, I am good at getting humble monthlies that have things I already have. https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=zX5Hc(first letter, first word of my review)p6nMG(fourth word, second letter)4szM

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

vorebane posted:

There is a fun fighting game in Overgrowth, letting you sneak assassinate or berserk massacre small hordes of evil and quisling mammals, but you have to get through a fair few tough jumping puzzles to play it through. There is also a level editor so you can likely get fights that are non jumping puzzley, and a randomized arena mode.

Speaking of, I am good at getting humble monthlies that have things I already have. https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=zX5Hc(first letter, first word of my review)p6nMG(fourth word, second letter)4szM

Cheers. I liked Lugaru back in the day, guess I can find out how this ended up.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I’m about 20 hours into Subnautica and it’s great but I feel like I’m hitting a wall. I think I’m kinda towards the endgame but I still don’t have a Cyclops and hunting down the last two pieces is tedious as all hell. I also feel like the story sort of ended 10 hours ago which is a bit of a bummer. I know what I have to do to progress but the mystery and danger are gone so it feels more like work.

Also there’s definitely some clunkiness with some bits:
  • Why do freestanding structures share hull integrity? Building a moon pool next to my base shouldn’t make them both fall apart
  • Why do duffel bags exist if you can’t carry them when there’s stuff in them?
  • I wish you could turn off machinery instead of dismantling it. Having a water purifier drain energy is brutal
  • Why does the propulsion cannon exist? It’s a bad weapon and there are like five places you need to use it to move boxes so it’s basically a lovely key that takes up 4 inventory spaces
  • It seems completely arbitrary and random as to which fish you can catch or eat and which you can’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am getting back into Hollow Knight. Question about the current DLC: Are they like unlocked after beating the main game or are they added like additional areas you can explore? From the descriptions it sounds like the later.