Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Happily the Lugaru campaign is remade for Overgrowth, it was a good time when I was waiting for the actual campaign to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Unlucky7 posted:

I am getting back into Hollow Knight. Question about the current DLC: Are they like unlocked after beating the main game or are they added like additional areas you can explore? From the descriptions it sounds like the later.

They're seamlessly incorporated into the world.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yodzilla posted:

So I’m about 20 hours into Subnautica and it’s great but I feel like I’m hitting a wall. I think I’m kinda towards the endgame but I still don’t have a Cyclops and hunting down the last two pieces is tedious as all hell. I also feel like the story sort of ended 10 hours ago which is a bit of a bummer. I know what I have to do to progress but the mystery and danger are gone so it feels more like work.

Also there’s definitely some clunkiness with some bits:
  • Why do freestanding structures share hull integrity? Building a moon pool next to my base shouldn’t make them both fall apart
  • Why do duffel bags exist if you can’t carry them when there’s stuff in them?
  • I wish you could turn off machinery instead of dismantling it. Having a water purifier drain energy is brutal
  • Why does the propulsion cannon exist? It’s a bad weapon and there are like five places you need to use it to move boxes so it’s basically a lovely key that takes up 4 inventory spaces
  • It seems completely arbitrary and random as to which fish you can catch or eat and which you can’t

I'd be curious where you are that you think you are close to endgame. Once you find a single piece of a thing you need, other similar pieces can usually be found in the same biome or area. I just beat it last weekend, and I was pretty satisfied with the story up to the end so don't worry about that (unless you are further than I thought in which case, nevermind!).

The base structure thing is a little weird. I found with just a few reinforcements I could build almost everything I needed in just a few rooms. Foundations are another cheap way to add some reinforcement. As for the purifier, once it fills up with salt and water it should stop. I agree about the propulsion cannon, although I can think of at least one other limited use for it that involves getting something you can't reach without hurting yourself. The modified version is pretty decent for self defense if you every bother with it. It's sort of arbitrary, but if you scan all of the fish the edible ones will be listed in a different category than the inedible ones. The rays for instance supposedly have poison skin or something.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

C.M. Kruger posted:

The paperback tie-in novel, with DLC that was never released IIRC, appears to have been removed from Amazon.

Nah, you can buy Elemental: Destiny's Embers on Amazon as a $5 ebook. You probably don't want to though. The heroes are trying to build a wall to keep the bad dark-skinned races out of their country. That's literally the plot.

A review I remembered is now gone, but I found it via the Wayback Machine -- look for a snapshot of http://www.unamommer.com/?p=109 in about 2010. A few quotes of the book from that review:

Brad Wardell posted:

He yanked the sword out of the first one’s throat and swung it at a second, the nearest one to him, gouging it in the shoulder, and the thing screamed, and slashed at Calis’s blade ineffectually, and Calis slashed again, and caught the creature in the face, and blood gushed, and it screamed a second time, and stumbled, but that was all Calis saw.

Brad Wardell posted:

A moment’s embrace, a few words of good-bye, and then she— and Mirdoth— were gone, and it was just the two of them— Tandis and himself— remaining in the Hall.

Brad loving Wardell posted:

His face twisted into an ugly sneer. And then, without warning, he slapped her. A backhanded blow much harder than the one she’d given him. It spun her around and sent her hurtling to the ground.

She landed hard and felt the sleeve of her gown tear.

She stood up and ripped it the rest of the way off.

“You want a fight?” she said, and took a step toward Jacob.

Yes -- it's all like that. I had an actual paperback copy of it, but I burned it or fed it to badgers or something.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Stationeers worth a go?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

The shotgun thing is blown so out of proportion it's ridiculous. What actually happened is that they gave shotguns the same accuracy buff when used from cover than every other gun gets, and balanced around that. Obviously that's not how people use shotguns, but it's not the reason they were weak. They were weak because all guns were trash, and almost all powers were trash. That's why both guns and powers got buffs that started at 100% increases and only went up from there dramatically. They also had the standard Bioware programming dumbness, like nerfing specific multiplayer mechanics based on the singleplayer difficulty setting of the host (and yes, it's still P2P, probably the biggest flaw of the game).

Current version has strong guns and powers that are fun to use, and one map that could have been the blueprint for the rest of the mutliplayer mode if EA hadn't shut down the studio. But even with bad guns and bad powers, the multiplayer was stuff great, because it's just ME3 multiplayer without the dumb keybinds and with a shitton of added mobility.

Shotguns weren't notably worse than anything else that wasn't a sniper as they were all fighting for space at the bottom of the barrel, but the devs absolutely said that shotguns were the way they were because they were designed as cover weapons, which was what made it clear that they didn't know what they were doing

I somehow forgot about the host's singleplayer difficulty setting affecting multiplayer difficulty lol

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Yodzilla posted:

So I’m about 20 hours into Subnautica and it’s great but I feel like I’m hitting a wall. I think I’m kinda towards the endgame but I still don’t have a Cyclops and hunting down the last two pieces is tedious as all hell. I also feel like the story sort of ended 10 hours ago which is a bit of a bummer. I know what I have to do to progress but the mystery and danger are gone so it feels more like work.

Also there’s definitely some clunkiness with some bits:
  • Why do freestanding structures share hull integrity? Building a moon pool next to my base shouldn’t make them both fall apart
  • Why do duffel bags exist if you can’t carry them when there’s stuff in them?
  • I wish you could turn off machinery instead of dismantling it. Having a water purifier drain energy is brutal
  • Why does the propulsion cannon exist? It’s a bad weapon and there are like five places you need to use it to move boxes so it’s basically a lovely key that takes up 4 inventory spaces
  • It seems completely arbitrary and random as to which fish you can catch or eat and which you can’t

I'm willing to give the propulsion cannon a pass just because it's so satisfying to hoover up one of those obnoxious four-legged crab things and fire it out far to sea with this great *THOOMPT* noise. :shobon:

But yeah, other than that, I leave it at home unless I'm going somewhere where I know I'll need it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Uhhhh... what?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Where is da Free Man!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR77mEK8AEE

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Stationeers worth a go?

Stationeers has a very cool base that in a year or two will be a game I recommend to basically anyone with any level of interest in base building or tech mod Minecraft stuff. Right now it's got anywhere from five to fifty hours of gameplay, depending on how deep you want to get on messing with atmospherics (spoilers: probably about five hours for 99% of people) and is super cool, but I'd probably wait for more content.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Unlucky7 posted:

I am getting back into Hollow Knight. Question about the current DLC: Are they like unlocked after beating the main game or are they added like additional areas you can explore? From the descriptions it sounds like the later.

It's seamless integration into the existing game. I just finished up Hollow Knight and it was a blast, just a fantastic game that more than lived up to the hype.

From the reviews page:

"avoid this garbage fire at all costs and please kill yourself if you actually think supporting this is a good idea"

:stare:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh come on, how bad does a free mod need to be to get that kind of poo poo heaped on it?

what? :prepop:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Zereth posted:

Oh come on, how bad does a free mod need to be to get that kind of poo poo heaped on it?

what? :prepop:

It's not Free, Man.

:buddy:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Hell yeah! Novectacle does great stuff.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

As I get through the plot of Celeste I'm getting really loving angry at the writers and I can't quite pin down why

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Ciaphas posted:

As I get through the plot of Celeste I'm getting really loving angry at the writers and I can't quite pin down why

"isn't it precious how she has depression?"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mutant Standard posted:

"isn't it precious how she has depression?"

more specifically the implication that such a thing is so easy to get past and overcome or even cooperate with, yes, when in reality the sadbrains are a viciously unrelenting beast that will settle for--and goad towards--no less than death or total dissolution via alcohol or other drugs

it's almost loving offensive

but hey what do i know i'm probably just overthinking things as usual

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

huh, guess I know why i'm mad at the writers after all :v:

drat fine challenge platformer game, though

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I died like 3000 times fighting that depression, so wouldn’t say the game implies it’s easy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i knew some loving smartass was gonna reduce it to that joke

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

and yet you did nothing to stop them

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

How's All Walls Must Fall? The Eurogamer review makes it sound brilliant, but this is the first I've heard of it.

The story is a trip. You'll need to play it a couple of times to get the whole thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This probably won't be up for very long, considering it's apparently full of stolen assets, both from commercial games and from other Source mods, and even from random Garrys Mod add-on garbage.

Also things like uncompressed textures for no reason, bizarrely hi-res textures for tiny props like keypads, and a final level that's missing most of its textures, but those are less pressing issues and more just funny.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 24, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Meanwhile at My Summer Car

-Added strawberry field for picking strawberries

-Added wasps, also note that player has a wasp sting allergy

-Added grandma, if you follow her conversations correctly you will get more money

-Added general conversation agreement gestures (when not too drunk), default button "K"

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Did anyone play the new sword art game? I hear you can make your own character, can I finally smooch kirito

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Chad Jihad posted:

Did anyone play the new sword art game? I hear you can make your own character, can I finally smooch kirito

I tried it. It's a janky poorly designed mess with plain broken AI.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SelenicMartian posted:

Meanwhile at My Summer Car

-Added general conversation agreement gestures (when not too drunk), default button "K"

Inspired. :golfclap:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Picayune posted:

I'm willing to give the propulsion cannon a pass just because it's so satisfying to hoover up one of those obnoxious four-legged crab things and fire it out far to sea with this great *THOOMPT* noise. :shobon:

But yeah, other than that, I leave it at home unless I'm going somewhere where I know I'll need it.

Generally I only took it along when I knew I was looking for wrecks to explore since there are a few nice things that you can't get to without it (kind of like the laser cutter).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'd be curious where you are that you think you are close to endgame. Once you find a single piece of a thing you need, other similar pieces can usually be found in the same biome or area. I just beat it last weekend, and I was pretty satisfied with the story up to the end so don't worry about that (unless you are further than I thought in which case, nevermind!).

The base structure thing is a little weird. I found with just a few reinforcements I could build almost everything I needed in just a few rooms. Foundations are another cheap way to add some reinforcement. As for the purifier, once it fills up with salt and water it should stop. I agree about the propulsion cannon, although I can think of at least one other limited use for it that involves getting something you can't reach without hurting yourself. The modified version is pretty decent for self defense if you every bother with it. It's sort of arbitrary, but if you scan all of the fish the edible ones will be listed in a different category than the inedible ones. The rays for instance supposedly have poison skin or something.

Did they nullify the need for reinforcements and base repair from Early Access? I seem to remember stuff breaking and getting wrecked by fish all the time early on but now I can build 1200 meters down and it seems the same as building on the surface.

As for where I am in the story I’ve entered a number of alien buildings and (I guess) I’m looking for the cure so I can shut off the cannon. I think I’ve completed the story following the other team that was trapped and got the orange tablet schematic. For the rocket I’ve built the base, gantry, and thrusters but need to delve into the lava zone for the fuel tank stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

To the folks who like the fault visual novel series:

Mhakna Gramura and the Fairy Bell is a side-story to the series, presented as a in-universe fairytale. It's short, nonlinear and cheap.

quote:

Started as a project commemorating the “fault series” selling over 300,000 copies worldwide, “Mhakna Gramura and Fairy Bell” is a spin-off Cinematic Novel produced with newcomers in mind. Reading through the original fault series is not necessary. Styled as a children's book with over 150 unique pages of art drawn by Hare Konatsu and animated by Saketai, music scored by Foxtail-Grass Studio, and a story written by the series' author Munisix, “Mhakna Gramura and Fairy Bell” is a bittersweet children’s story about happiness and what it really means to grow up.

The story is about 90 minutes long and features no choices. Please do not purchase if this is not appealing to you.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Yodzilla posted:

As for where I am in the story I’ve entered a number of alien buildings and (I guess) I’m looking for the cure so I can shut off the cannon. I think I’ve completed the story following the other team that was trapped and got the orange tablet schematic. For the rocket I’ve built the base, gantry, and thrusters but need to delve into the lava zone for the fuel tank stuff.

If you've been to the primary containment facility in the absolute deepest section of the game and gotten the cure, then your done with the story, but you said you didn't have the cyclops yet so I don't think you have? Unless you somehow did an endurance run through the depths with the prawn and no sub support, which is terrifying. Though if you've been to the Degrassi base in the deep grand reef I'm pretty sure that is indeed the last bit of that story thread you'll see.

As for base damage, seabases being hurt by wildlife got removed, though they can still get hosed up by being built too deep without enough reinforcement; seabases are basically indestructible to outside forces now. On the flipside however, the days of the cyclops being an indestructible mobile base are long gone, it can be completely wrecked now.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Jawnycat posted:

If you've been to the primary containment facility in the absolute deepest section of the game and gotten the cure, then your done with the story, but you said you didn't have the cyclops yet so I don't think you have? Unless you somehow did an endurance run through the depths with the prawn and no sub support, which is terrifying. Though if you've been to the Degrassi base in the deep grand reef I'm pretty sure that is indeed the last bit of that story thread you'll see.

The Cyclops is not really that necessary. I completed the story with no Cyclops with very few issues. Enemies don’t really do that much damage to the suit; even a grab attack by the big enemies will only do 15%. You do need the grapple arm and upgraded boost jets, and it helps to practice combining the two to gain momentum.

e: I should mention I built my main base by the blue tree right at the Seamoth’s crush depth, and I went back up with the Seaglide to get the PRAWN. You can barely make the trip with the biggest oxygen tank.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 24, 2018

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yodzilla posted:

Did they nullify the need for reinforcements and base repair from Early Access? I seem to remember stuff breaking and getting wrecked by fish all the time early on but now I can build 1200 meters down and it seems the same as building on the surface.

I actually played it in early access before they added bases, so I'm not sure. In fact, I think it may have been the base patch that convinced me to wait until release to play it. I was having fun, but I didn't want to burn out on an incomplete game. In my experience with the release you're right that the depth doesn't really seem to matter, only the number of structures you build. I built a pretty substantial base 1000 meters down or so and it didn't seem much different. I came prepared with a lot of lithium and lead for reinforcements and foundations that I never actually ended up using. I generally only build my bases in relatively safe areas so I've never worried about fish attacks, though I watched a 'base building' youtube tutorial that seemed to indicate that most of the fish don't really care about your base, just you (and your vehicles, particularly if they are on and/or lit up).

I'm adding spoiler tags for others reading, not because of any spoilers for you. For me, the game was most interesting when I was about where you are. I found the stuff super deep dangerous stuff incredibly fascinating and had a blast making an outpost what felt like far far away from my original base. I spent hours and hours of gameplay without ever seeing the surface, and it was weirdly refreshing when I eventually ended up going back 'home'. The cyclops + prawn combination was probably my favorite in the game. There is definitely still a fair amount of story stuff and if you get confused I recommend re-reading the data and clues you found at the enforcement platform for some clues over what 'story' thing you should look for next (you're definitely on the right track). Also radio beacons and stuff like the proposed Degassi habitats that you found will still point you in the vicinity of things to check out. If you get really stumped you can ask and I can probably give you a couple of clues to follow without outright spoiling it for you.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The cyclops isn't necessary for completing the game, but I loved it and took it anywhere I could as a portable staging area for storing resources, charging up, and filling up with food and water. An alternative is building a few outposts around to store stuff, recharge, and build upgrades so you don't have to travel all the way back to the shallows every time.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Double Punctuation posted:

The Cyclops is not really that necessary. I completed the story with no Cyclops with very few issues. Enemies don’t really do that much damage to the suit; even a grab attack by the big enemies will only do 15%. You do need the grapple arm and upgraded boost jets, and it helps to practice combining the two to gain momentum.

It's more about that nagging feeling of maybe having not packed enough spare energy cells, or food, or water and worrying about that slow, inevitable death nearly a mile down, a maze of near pitch black (With filmic mode on) caves between you and the surface.

So long as you do plan out supplies or set up waystations on the way down, yeah, it's no big deal, but if something does go wrong in the deep, your pretty boned. Especially since I don't think the prawns inventory is recoverable when it's destroyed, unlike the cyclops, where you can loot it's wreck. But a cyclops-less challenge run does sound interesting, something to try for my next go at the game I think.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Jawnycat posted:

Okay cool so yeah that side story is done. I just started building a base in the lava zone. I park my seamoth by the tree and just swim down and it seems to work well so I might just march my prawn suit down too because I don’t really need it anywhere else.

There’s warpers goddamn everywhere though which is a bummer but other than that it doesn’t seem too dangerous.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Slow day today, huh? Here's an odd little title I got from Curator Connect that you can peruse to pass the time.

0. Tiny Barbarian DX
1. Shank 2
2. Odallus: The Dark Call
3. Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones
4. Squishy the Suicidal Pig
5. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
6. Vessel
7. Owlboy
8. NOT A HERO
9. Castle of Illusion
10. Flinthook
11. Crab Dub
12. Omegaland
13. Another Perspective
14. Omega Strike
15. Clash Force
16. Mercenary Kings: Reloaded Edition
17. The End Is Nigh
18. Save the Ninja Clan
19. Timen runner
20. DevWill
21. Bloody Trapland 2: Curiosity
22. STANDBY
23. Ghoulboy

24. Kautic

Sometimes it’s enough for a game to do things just a little bit different. There are plenty of indie platformers out there where you shoot fireballs at monsters, fight elemental bosses, and roam open levels, enough that you can easily get sick of that format. But Kautic does all that its own way, with that reckless indie abandon that separates little gems from their unremarkable peers. Unfortunately, it also falls prey to that all-too-common pitfall of really questionable design decisions to go along with its uniqueness.

Kautic, as the game’s subtitle will cheerfully remind you, is the Bald Wizard. I have no idea how his hair situation impacts his spellcrafting but he can shoot fireballs and jump like a wire-fu artist. He has returned from a wizardly sojourn to find his townsfolk turned to stone by a great evil. To restore them to life he’ll have to purge the surrounding lands of said evil, including four great elemental beasts who are in no hurry to be dead. Along the way he’ll battle through hordes of familiar monsters, maybe collect a few hidden relics here and there, and probably get very, very lost a few times.

Beyond running and jumping and shooting, the main challenge in Kautic is finding your way around. There’s only one path out of your village (which you are going to get extremely familiar with), but it branches regularly into high and low paths. Eventually you end up with a small network of levels sprouting from the village and terminating in the four bosses you must defeat. Obviously in your first outing or two you’ll have no problem locating *a* boss, but after that it might take a few tries to locate the others on your hit list. Each one contributes to the completion rate of the game, along with the first kill you get against each enemy type. It’s an interesting way to track that sort of stat, and your restoration of the town is dependent on it as well.

The moment-to-moment gameplay is jumping and shooting against simple enemies you’ve probably seen before. You’ll battle giant plants that spray damaging spores, birds that swoop down upon you, worms that burrow up beneath you, and so on. Their patterns tend to be pretty apparent but they’re not all designed equally. A few like the worms and the ghosts can appear in ways that make them impossible to avoid, guaranteeing you’ll take some damage. Your life bar is extremely generous but it will get whittled down on your runs and there’s no way to refill it, and you have a limited number of lives before you get booted back to town. The difficulty levels only affect how many lives you get and I strongly suggest you stick with Easy your first time, which gives you three chances per outing.

These are the design decisions I mentioned earlier, the ones that tug at what’s otherwise a pretty solid little platformer. Understand that the core is indeed solid, with tight controls and a nice, big jump and a weapon that’s limited but effective. But the actual encounter design and level layout hint at inexperience in the genre, a weakness in crafting truly fair and logical challenges. Once you locate the bosses you’ll find them fairly simple to beat, and I was able to clear out all four within an hour. After that, though… I have to be honest, I couldn’t figure out how to beat the game! I tried some less-explored paths in the world but kept getting funneled into the same empty boss rooms. Nothing in the town seemed to change, so whatever it is I’m supposed to do to win may not be signposted clearly enough.

I didn’t find any of these issues deal-breakers with Kautic however, not even my confusion over the endgame. There’s a certain charm to it, from the familiar enemies and their simple pixel art to the tight controls and exploration. You’ll need to have some patience and understanding to get the most out of this one, but if you’re looking for an indie platformer you should be coming armed already. Kautic is built from pieces you’ve seen before but remixes them in new ways, just new enough to help it stand out. Be ready to do some searching and contend with some jank, but don’t be surprised if it’s pretty fun, too.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Does anyone remember seeing an indie nautical game come out in the last two-ish months, it looked like it was mostly trading/turn-based stuff with really nice hand-drawn cards for most of the UI? I swear I saw it in passing, but I neglected to wishlist it and can't remember the title for the life of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Omi no Kami posted:

Does anyone remember seeing an indie nautical game come out in the last two-ish months, it looked like it was mostly trading/turn-based stuff with really nice hand-drawn cards for most of the UI? I swear I saw it in passing, but I neglected to wishlist it and can't remember the title for the life of me.
This one?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/621220/Nantucket/