Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Chin Strap posted:

Lumines Remastered coming to Steam in May. I played the hell out of the original, probably will this too: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/20/lumines-remastered-announced-for-may/

Man, I always wanted this again, but the PC port is supposedly pretty shoddy and I think may have literally never have been on sale.

Xander77 posted:

It's ugly as hell (even by AC3 standards) buggy as gently caress (and that's something I've never experienced with an AC game), and the story is loving terrible and incoherent.

Also from what little I've played, the whole disguise / role system is very much "Man, I can see why you thought this would be interesting and thematic, but it's not fun. I just want to flip around and stab people, is that too much to ask?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The modern stuff in Assassins Creed is shite. Up until Revelations it was an irritating intrusion into the real meat of the game, and then they decided to undermine the final scene with Ezio/Altair by interrupting it by pulling you back out of the machine again.

Thankfully they've jettisoned large parts of it for other games so I can just do what I actually play the games for, which is climbing buildings in important cities during a particular heyday.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jerusalem posted:

One of the AC games introduced the ability to pet cats and dogs (ACIII maybe?) but that has been superceded by WatchDogs 2 in which everytime you stop to pet a dog, everybody in the surrounding area stops what they're doing to cheer :3:
They removed the ability to pet animals in Unity because Parisianers are assholes.

They reintroduced it in Origins, the game owns hard, the best AC imo. You can even pet your eagle and there are like 3 different animations for it.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Palpek posted:

They removed the ability to pet animals in Unity because Parisianers are assholes.

They reintroduced it in Origins, the game owns hard, the best AC imo. You can even pet your eagle and there are like 3 different animations for it.

Origins is by far the best AC since Brotherhood.
Black flag was a good game but it wasn't a good AC game

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

mike12345 posted:

So I'm playing MGSV and Quiet just left me/died/whatever. How far along am I? Really not a big fan of redoing old missions on a higher difficulty setting, feels like lazy padding.

I never got that event before finishing the game so you might be done already, depends how you play. Either way you are a few hours away at most.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Krazyface posted:

You're close to the end. There are 50 missions, including all the remixes. Weirdly enough there are several remixes listed after the proper final mission.

aha, ok.

Det_no posted:

I never got that event before finishing the game so you might be done already, depends how you play. Either way you are a few hours away at most.

Yeah, it's a side mission. It's weird how some of the story-critical stuff is tucked away in side missions. Anyway it's hard as balls, you need to eliminate waves of tanks, some of whom one-shot you. Oh, and there's a chopper.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

DatonKallandor posted:

The Desmond story was the only thing keeping the AC series interesting

Holy poo poo, no

Assassin's Creed should never have had a metaplot, just be a plain historical fiction series

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I think if they had followed up on the early premise of the first games being training for Desmond and then had a modern day entry where he used all the skills he'd learned from his ancestors, that might have been fun. Maybe. But the way they did it was so pointless and boring.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
I, honest to goodness, had convinced myself that Ubisoft was going to Kojima everyone and Watch Dogs was actually the new assassins creed, a fact that would be revealed after the first few hours.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Has anyone checked out this Ash of Gods game? http://store.steampowered.com/app/691690/Ash_of_Gods_Redemption/

I don't know if it was inspired by Banner Saga or is just a copy of it. Hell, if it was Banner Saga with decent gameplay, that's one up on Banner Saga.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Has anyone checked out this Ash of Gods game? http://store.steampowered.com/app/691690/Ash_of_Gods_Redemption/

I don't know if it was inspired by Banner Saga or is just a copy of it. Hell, if it was Banner Saga with decent gameplay, that's one up on Banner Saga.

I looked into it to see if it also had that thing where no matter what the turn order is always a friendly unit followed by a hostile unit. Didn't find any concrete mechanics, but they keep mentioning that smaller teams have some kind of turn-order advantage which doesn't really fill me with confidence. But hey, maybe I'm reading it wrong, I'll wait and see what people say.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I just got a 25% off token for it somehow so how's the story of Divinity Original Sin 2? I loved the gameplay in Original Sin 1 but just bounced off the plot and characters entirely when you were just arbitrarily teleported into a big wizard's tower and told "world in danger, go save it".

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I bounced off D:OS in exactly the same place and loved D:OS2. It's still very combat focused, but the plot is pretty good and does a better job of hooking you in (your first task is to escape a prison island, then there's an interesting twist on the "chosen one" idea). If you do pick it up, use one of the prebuilt characters (you can still heavily customise them, including choosing if you want them to be a fighter or a wizard or whatever weird hybrid you like), they come with unique backstory that offers interesting interactions throughout the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

fivehead posted:

I, honest to goodness, had convinced myself that Ubisoft was going to Kojima everyone and Watch Dogs was actually the new assassins creed, a fact that would be revealed after the first few hours.

The way Bellweather is described, it's basically only a few small steps removed from Templar mind control anyway.

Once again expressing my displeasure at AC, Watchdogs, and Farcry not canonically sharing a universe despite easter eggs implying otherwise. :argh:

Also clearly the ultimate culmination of it should be Hurk showing up in all three series. Including his ancestors in whatever historical period a given AC is in.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

John Murdoch posted:

The way Bellweather is described, it's basically only a few small steps removed from Templar mind control anyway.

Once again expressing my displeasure at AC, Watchdogs, and Farcry not canonically sharing a universe despite easter eggs implying otherwise. :argh:

Also clearly the ultimate culmination of it should be Hurk showing up in all three series. Including his ancestors in whatever historical period a given AC is in.

At least we get Predator/Alien and the Clancyverse sharing a universe instead which is just as hilarious.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

John Murdoch posted:

They ultimately are basically iterations of the same game with how homogenized a Ubisoft game becomes over time. You could definutely milk the dlc packs of hacking with assassins or some other dumb poo poo with Hurk throughout the ages showing up in gemetic memory of Asscreed or whatever.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how does the egyptian AC stack against this trend? people were pretty jubilant about it when it came out, is it a trend break?

Orv
May 4, 2011

double nine posted:

how does the egyptian AC stack against this trend? people were pretty jubilant about it when it came out, is it a trend break?

I mean the people that like Ubisoft's formula are pretty okay with whatever, but will also happily bitch about bad entries. People that don't like Ubisofts formula will never be happy with anything they do.

Origins is fantastic, and if you haven't played an AC in years, or haven't played one ever, it's a great place to play an AC and then absolutely hop back off the train if you found yourself satisfied with it.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I think pretty much everyone has played one Ubisoft game too many too quickly at some point. It was definitely AC: Revelations right after Brotherhood for me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Origins is an action rpg.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I was pretty burnt out on AC, I never beat Unity cause it was really samey, and Syndicate took me a really long time to finish... I think it took me at least 2 years to finally beat it and by then I was just so done with AC.

But then I played ACO and couldn't put it down until I beat it, so far I've got 115 hours with it and I still need to beat the 2 expansions.
It changed enough that it was refreshing and the setting was really engaging for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah that was kind of unfair of me. There are definitely people who just hate Ubisoft because reasons, but most people have totally justified feelings regarding burn out since yeah, they are markedly similar.

That said Origins is as much of a shake up as any of their games have ever had, in not just gameplay and design but also their philosophy with regards to content and player involvement. It's still superficially an AC game, you run around on roofs and you jump on dudes and there's some vague Templars and Assassins stuff, but it's mostly just a giant sandbox in Ptolemaic Egypt that has a cool story and good combat attached.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 24, 2018

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
origins is good

but they're still batting like .300 on making good ac games

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The only bad ACs are Unity, 3, and 1

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Any goony opinions on River City Super Sports Challenge or River City Melee? Indiegala has them in a bundle, and just wondering if they'd be worth it as a lark for my couchplay night with friends, or if they're as low-effort as they look.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

corn in the bible posted:

The only bad ACs are Unity, 3, and 1

I feel like Unity would be really good if the person playing it never played an AC before or they had a really long break between entries.
Its biggest crime is just being more of the same only now it has skill points and you can play dress up with individual pieces.

After I beat ACO completely I'll probably go back and give Unity another whirl.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Deakul posted:

I feel like Unity would be really good if the person playing it never played an AC before or they had a really long break between entries.
Its biggest crime is just being more of the same only now it has skill points and you can play dress up with individual pieces.

After I beat ACO completely I'll probably go back and give Unity another whirl.

Arno is a blank slate who never accomplishes anything. He doesn't even get to do revolutionary stuff because Both Sides Are Bad in that game so he's just kind of around, doing nothing much, while other people have exciting adventures.

At least ac3 has Haytham in it

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Anyone have a review on Ni No Kuni II?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/589360/Ni_no_Kuni_II_Revenant_Kingdom/

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's crazy how many little details and systems AC:O features. When Ubi takes longer to develop a game in the series it's obvious that some of their development departments have nothing to do so they just keep adding details on top of details. I wish the game got better writing, cinematic direction for sidequests or more complex facial animations instead but hey.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Palpek posted:

It's crazy how many little details and systems AC:O features. When Ubi takes longer to develop a game in the series it's obvious that some of their development departments have nothing to do so they just keep adding details on top of details. I wish the game got better writing, cinematic direction for sidequests or more complex facial animations instead but hey.

I like the writing in a fair amount of the sidequests. And the main quest at least is simple, rather than being some incomprehensible conspiracy bullshit

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

They're on a good streak lately, AC:O, Watch_Dogs 2 and the new South Park are all great.

More people should buy W_D2. It has a decent story, great dialogue, likable characters, it's genuinely funny and you can play it either causing total mayhem or going stealth (with full equipment going along with those). The multiplayer stuff with co-op missions, chases, invasions and pvp on the go when you feel like are also fun as hell. It's the best GTA-like in recent years imo.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Palpek posted:

More people should buy W_D2. It has a decent story, great dialogue, likable characters, it's genuinely funny and you can play it either causing total mayhem or going stealth (with full equipment going along with those).
It's also locked into non-English localized versions in some regions.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I found it pretty boring tbh. I don't really want to put myself through a crash course of pop culture of yesteryear to get all of WD2's jokes, but I'm sure they were very biting and witty. And besides causing cars to turn 90 degrees, what could you do around the city that was fun I haven't already done in GTA 5?

The fashion options were stellar though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Watch_Dogs 2 could easily have been the cringiest poo poo but the cast is genuinely likable and the game has a real earnest, goofy sincerity to it. The game handles its topics fairly well and is far more open in calling out bullshit in modern American society where most AAA games would chicken out and shy away from. (i.e. Like Ubi's own Far Cry 5.)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Playing it right now and from a technical standpoint the port is flawless so far. Runs really well, game looks great, sounds great too.

From a gameplay perspective, the combat is actually pretty good for jRPG fair just a tad bit easy. Wish they had a difficulty slider or option in game. Some reviews have said that the game takes elements from Dark Cloud (an old Level 5 IP) and Suikoden 2. Which the story had the political intrigue that S2 had, NNK is basically a fairytale but hey different markets and targets. Very wholesome and kid friendly, except you know the whole nuking of of a modern city and the president shooting a stinking rat-vole-rodent piece of trash right in the face when he saw it

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Edit - yeah, the fact that the RL portion of the story blatantly has no goal now and is just going to keep meandering for as long as there are more AC games is probably my biggest problem with it. Ok, I'll take it on faith that some people were into Desmond's story, for some goddamned reason. Is anyone really into wandering the Ubisoft offices and hacking computers? Why?
Juno. Desmond released Juno at the end of 3 was apparently a big deal. Juno is some evil BEFORE HUMAN person that hates humans and wants to control everything.
Apparently Juno is trying to do something evil but even after four games of REAL LIFE sequences (Haven't played Origin) she hasn't managed to accomplish a single loving thing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
March of 2: Electric Boogaloo

Day 1: The Journey Down: Chapter Three
Day 2: The Fault Series
Day 3: Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Day 4: Off Peak and The Norwood Suite
Day 5: Spycraft: The Great Game
Day 6: Beeswing and Dujanah
Day 7: The Sexy Brutale
Day 8: Herald: Books 1 and 2
Day 9: Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet
Day 10: Choice of Robots
Day 11: The Majesty of Colors of Remastered
Day 12: What Remains of Edith Finch
Day 13: Gorogoa
Day 14: Full Throttle Remastered
Day 15: #WarGames Season 1
Day 16: Gray Skies, Dark Waters
Day 17: Paradigm
Day 18: Aviary Attorney
Day 19: Open Sorcery
Day 20 : Jazzpunk: Director’s Cut
Day 21: Broken Swords 1 and 2
Day 22: Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People
Day 23: We Know the Devil

Day 24: J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars

JULIA: Among the Stars is the crowdfunded remake of Czech developer CBE Interactive’s game JULIA and was released in 2014.

JULIA is a sci-fi first person adventure game that opens with the protagonist, Rachel Manners, awaking from cryosleep. Rachel is a part of Earth’s first expeditionary force to a distant galaxy. Rachel instantly finds the expedition ship damaged and in need of immediate repairs due to asteroids. JULIA, the ship’s AI, had activated when the ship was damaged and the two work together to fix the ship. Rachel soon finds out that she, JULIA, and the ship’s sentient exploratory rover, Mobot are the only beings left on the ship, the rest of the human crew having mysteriously disappeared. The trio began to investigate the disappearances and it leads them across this strange new solar system where many secrets await them.

JULIA is a first-person adventure game. The game primarily has you play as Mobot through proxy as he is the only one of the trio that can land on these alien worlds. Rachel tells him where to go and JULIA advises in any way she can. The game has an in-universe hotspot button as
Mobot has a scanner that shows what he can interact with. The beginning of the game is more about exploring and inventory puzzles, but as the game goes on there are and more logic puzzles, this is where the game stumbles I feel as the puzzles get worse as the game progresses, to the point where some late game puzzles feel straight up trial and error. There is also these engineering puzzles that I found annoying, though that may just be me.

Now while it’s true I don’t think the puzzles aren’t very hot I still liked the game and one of the big reasons why is how it successfully captures the spirit of 90’s first person CD-ROM era adventure games I feel. The planets are interesting to explore and gorgeously atmospheric in their own ways, it nails feelings of isolation and wonder. The game has a real sense of adventure and I wanted to see what secrets the planets were hiding. The writing is also quite solid, the trio have good chemistry with each other. One might find the conclusion of the main mystery of what happened to the crew to be predictable but JULIA does an interesting twist on how it plays out. The game has two endings depending on the decision make at the end of the game and both of them are bittersweet in their own ways that I like.

Despite any flaws JULIA is a fun and engaging space adventure.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

More people should buy W_D2. It has a decent story, great dialogue, likable characters, it's genuinely funny and you can play it either causing total mayhem or going stealth (with full equipment going along with those). The multiplayer stuff with co-op missions, chases, invasions and pvp on the go when you feel like are also fun as hell. It's the best GTA-like in recent years imo.
How bad is the UPlay? I just wish they gave up on that poo poo and started integrating their games into Steam instead.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

anilEhilated posted:

How bad is the UPlay? I just wish they gave up on that poo poo and started integrating their games into Steam instead.
It's alright nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

anilEhilated posted:

I just wish they gave up on that poo poo and started integrating their games into Steam instead.

Nah, gotta monetize that user data.