Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Really Pants posted:

I finally reached 70% completion and got the option to turn off multiplayer weapon & armor limits in EDF4.1. I wouldn't recommend any sane person try and go for that, but being able to use all those endgame nuclear missiles and city-leveling grenade shotguns whenever I want is pretty awesome.

I used cheatengine to do this 0 seconds into the game and I would definitely recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Dyz posted:

Are you old enough to remember beanie babies?

Well...

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm old enough to have forgotten about them. drat what a weird time

This.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Hopefully Fear Effect's revival goes well. Still waiting on Sedna.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

I tried Fencer once and gave up trying to aim for 70%, unless I wanted to spend every level dead.

Shield Reflect is your friend. It's not just for dash canceling; I'm convinced the whole reason they called the class Fencer is because you're at your best when you can parry and counter enemy attacks. The only ranged attacks you can't reflect are Deroy leg lasers, and some of the Earth Eater turrets. Hectors, spiders, bees, black and gold ants--an Ion Mirror Shield or Reflector can shut them all down completely, even the king and queen bugs.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYwZ6GZXWhA

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I'm not extremely into Age of Empires but holy poo poo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

kxZyle posted:

I'm not extremely into Age of Empires but holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/AgeOfEmpires/status/899722586136879104

e: Whoops I missed his youtube link

Either way, cool!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Too bad it's by Relic though. :sigh:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Of all loving games to see a remake, I never ever suspected it would be the original Fear Effect.

http://www.pcgamer.com/fear-effect-reinvented-is-a-remake-of-the-cel-shaded-action-game/

Sooner or later all these studios must realize they are sitting on a pile of untapped money and will starting spending a decent bit of cash to update and port their games to modern consoles/PC and just watch the money continue to roll in over time and see a spike/surge every time there is a steam sale. I'm more surprised the people holding the licenses/IP to a lot of the classic dreamcast games haven't gotten on board with this more. There are probably a good 10-15 games that would probably end up selling 100K copies over the next 1-2 years

Virtual On(online matches would probably be a big selling point)
Echo the Dolphin (epic difficulty beautiful aquatic setting)
The Evolution RPG series (its gamecube remaster)
Maken X (fps but swordfighting)
Omikron The Nomad Soul (David Bowie!)
Shenmue (build hype for game 3),
Skies of Arcadia (loving day 1 purchase even at $30 no matter what also owned directly by Sega and they are really into PC releases nowadays)

and any number of the various fighting and schump games that the Dreamcast was famous for.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Virtual On. Ohhhhh maaaaaaaannnnnnn.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Jamfrost posted:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/AgeOfEmpires/status/899722586136879104

e: Whoops I missed his youtube link

Either way, cool!

Available only on the Windows Store! (probably)

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

pentyne posted:

Omikron The Nomad Soul (David Bowie!)

This is actually already on Steam.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jamfrost posted:

That game was goddamn amazing and would be an absolute joy with some modern controllers

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

Too bad it's by Relic though. :sigh:

Lol, that's what makes me interested in it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

Lol, that's what makes me interested in it.

Even after COH2 and DOW3?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That game was goddamn amazing and would be an absolute joy with some modern controllers

It was released on XBLA in like 2007 tho? :confused:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Being burned out on fantasy and futuristic sci-fi media I finally want to give the Shadowrun series a try. I have

-Shadowrun Chronicles Boston Lockdown
- Shadowrun Returns
- Shadowrun: Dragonfall Directors Cut
- Shadowrun: Hong Kong Extended Edition

Going in with no background or info about the games other then people have posted before to skip Shadowrun Returns is there any particular game mechanics to be wary of and are there worthless skills/classes that offer little to no use and just make the game artificially difficult?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I still can't believe they remade Flashback and it turned out so bad. I would have loved an actually good remake.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

pentyne posted:

Being burned out on fantasy and futuristic sci-fi media I finally want to give the Shadowrun series a try. I have

-Shadowrun Chronicles Boston Lockdown
- Shadowrun Returns
- Shadowrun: Dragonfall Directors Cut
- Shadowrun: Hong Kong Extended Edition

Going in with no background or info about the games other then people have posted before to skip Shadowrun Returns is there any particular game mechanics to be wary of and are there worthless skills/classes that offer little to no use and just make the game artificially difficult?

returns isn't bad, just not fully-formed. You should play Returns up until you don't care/get sick of it and move on to Dragonfall

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Flashback just seems cursed for whatever reason. A bad early-3D sequel, a canceled bad GBA sequel with terrible art, and a bad remake.

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

Didn't aoe2 already get a definitive edition?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Deakul posted:

Even after COH2 and DOW3?

CoH2 only had a bad story. It was otherwise an OK game. DoW 3 was bad conceptually, it's a well made game otherwise. If they just follow the AoE formula, it'll be good and well made.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

returns isn't bad, just not fully-formed. You should play Returns up until you don't care/get sick of it and move on to Dragonfall

There's apparently a magic end game ultimate weapon that you have to use on the final boss/es in Returns and if you don't have anyone able to effectively wield it then you have a really lovely time trying to beat the game with a super low accuracy and hit %. I know in some thread or another someone posted a character build for getting the most out of the in game system but also spec'd towards that end game weapon class so you don't hit a brick wall. Worst case scenario I could just cheatengine the game but whenever I do that I lose a lot of enjoyment from playing it unless the storytelling is solid.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Flatulance-a-lot posted:

Didn't aoe2 already get a definitive edition?

I assume this is the "includes all DLC" kind of Definitive re-release. Yes AoE2 HD got DLC.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just play Dragonfall or Hong Kong. Returns is garbage

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

pentyne posted:

There's apparently a magic end game ultimate weapon that you have to use on the final boss/es in Returns and if you don't have anyone able to effectively wield it then you have a really lovely time trying to beat the game with a super low accuracy and hit %. I know in some thread or another someone posted a character build for getting the most out of the in game system but also spec'd towards that end game weapon class so you don't hit a brick wall.
Shotgun, I believe. Shotguns are pretty good regardless.

Anyways, we have a thread and a wiki dedicated specifically to the whole what should I know before I play game X thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Of all loving games to see a remake, I never ever suspected it would be the original Fear Effect.

http://www.pcgamer.com/fear-effect-reinvented-is-a-remake-of-the-cel-shaded-action-game/
Hell yes. More people deserve to experience that insanity.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Okay after writing and rewriting this over the course of the past day, I'm just going to finally post it and hope that it's good enough, so here goes:

So true to my word I've given Dear Esther another chance. Since the last time I played it the Landmark Edition came out, so I decided to play that version. Didn't mess with the director's commentary, though, since honestly while authorial intent can be fascinating and all I figured it'd be beside the point when it came to re-evaluating my thoughts on the game's writing. Before I get to that, though, I'll touch on the game's other facets.

Now I can still say that Dear Esther's environmental design is excellent and I'm still amazed that they were able to pull all of it off with the Source engine originally (Landmark Edition switched engines to Unity for whatever reason). Still wish I could move at a faster pace than a brisk walk, granted, but to be honest it feels like (though I'm not certain) they might have tweaked the walk speed from the original version slightly since movement felt less ponderous to me. I could just be misremembering how the original functioned on that front, though.

The music is also great, and I admit that it's something I didn't pay much attention to during my initial playthrough some years ago. It matches the tone set by the environment perfectly. If I have any problems with the music is that sometimes, if you're not advancing the story beats as fast as the game would like, the music just trails off and dies and the ambient and environmental sound effects honestly aren't really up to the standard the music sets in comparison. The narration is fine but doesn't especially do much for me, personally. I'll be honest, though, I'm not sure if that's because of the actor himself or the narration the actor is tasked with delivering

I don't deny that the writing for Dear Esther qualifies, under most definitions, as "literary." With its recurring motifs with regard to its underlying themes and narrative, wedded with its use of metaphor, it checks off the noteworthy characteristics for that style of writing. But simply using metaphor and motif doesn't automatically make your writing artful or insightful. The game's writer seems to be afraid that some of the central points of the narrative could potentially be misread or misinterpreted and thus repeats certain motifs in a rather artless fashion. It's not necessarily a bad thing to make it clear that there was a car crash and that a drunk driver was perhaps involved,, but rewording and restating that point close to a half dozen times before cutting to a literal underwater recreation of the crash is a bit much, as if the writer is grabbing you by the shoulders and shaking you while going "HEY DID YOU NOTICE THE CAR CRASH IMAGERY YET?"

Earlier in the thread, my interpretation of the story as the narrator in purgatory, having perished in the car crash along with Esther and Paul was questioned and dismissed, but to me that interpretation still has merit. If anything, it's a rather charitable reading. If the setting is to be taken more literally and the narrator has isolated himself to a somewhat remote island and driven himself mad with grief and guilt by obsessing over the events of the afformentioned car crash, then the symbolism present in the island environment ceases to be metaphorical and instead becomes aggravatingly literal. You have to be careful when constructing metaphors since if you're too on the nose you can wrench the reader out of the narrative. For one in particular that was eyerolling to me, there's the fact that the scholar Donnelly and the shepherd Jakobson, both also inhabitants of the island, also happened to share last names with Esther and Paul respectively, which is heavy handed as metaphor and completely beggars belief as literal happenstance.

Mostly, regardless of how you're intended to interpret the events that unfold, I still couldn't connect to the game on an emotional level. The narration feels too clinical and detached most of the time, which I feel is less the fault of the voice actor and more the prose underlying it. That's not the case 100% of the time, of course, as there are moments when the game breaks free of its ponderously purple prose to deliver genuine moments of pain and pathos (such as the narrator suddenly, in an impulse borne of anger and frustration, pondering how many bodies flung into a chasm would fill it or the final confession during the ascent that there was never a drunk driver, implying that the narrator blames himself for the crash) More often the prose is just content to ponderously meander into digressions that don't go much of anywhere. Maybe it's that I just favor economy of prose and thus the approach doesn't speak to me personally, who knows.

I suppose my overall opinion is less negative than it was when compared to the first time I played the game, and I feel like some of my negative reaction came from playing Dear Esther after playing Gone Home first, a game whose approach to writing and especially interaction with the environment I greatly prefer. I can see now that Dear Esther is trying for something different and wanting the game to be more like Gone Home was probably asking too much. Still, I personally would have a hard time recommending Dear Esther as anything more than a curiosity at this point. Important to the development of the genre, certainly, but surprassed in almost every respect by other games that followed.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Really Pants posted:

I finally reached 70% completion and got the option to turn off multiplayer weapon & armor limits in EDF4.1. I wouldn't recommend any sane person try and go for that, but being able to use all those endgame nuclear missiles and city-leveling grenade shotguns whenever I want is pretty awesome.

Is there a cheat of some kind to allow that? All my friends gave up on EDF because those limits made it unfun for them.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

It was released on XBLA in like 2007 tho? :confused:

The XBLA release did not do split screen local. Other than that it was a fine port with sharper visuals and a solid framerate.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

poo poo yeah, I don't give a gently caress about Starcraft getting updated but AoE is my poo poo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

Is there a cheat of some kind to allow that? All my friends gave up on EDF because those limits made it unfun for them.

I'm sure Cheat Engine could do something, but I'm sorry to say I couldn't tell you what.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

poo poo yeah, I don't give a gently caress about Starcraft getting updated but AoE is my poo poo.

Ya I can't count how many hours I spent on Aoe2 and AoM. 3 was fine but not my favorite.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

"Morgan Freeman, Morgan Freeman. Morgan Freeman!"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

coolusername posted:

So, I need your help. I am trying to do a relatively simple task: Take the games I have downloaded from steam, put them on my external, and pull them out of my external when I want to play them. Because it takes me three thousand years to download anything on my lovely internet with a download limit, and while I have terabytes of external storage, my laptop only has a few hundred gigabytes. I have googled the methods given, and it has been a spectacular failure in every sense of the word.

I tried installing back ups to external and then reinstalling off back ups - no go, steam refused to recognise back ups existed and instead triggered an internet download.

I tried the method of copy+paste the entire folder. Nope! This several gigabyte folder I'm looking at which is full of game files? Clearly not the game, steam refuses to recognise the files and triggers 'let's download it from the internet' whenever I hit the game. From the folder. In which the game is fully downloaded and all the files are staring at me.

I decided to uninstall from that laptop to prevent any broken half-downloaded files.. without realising that steam was syncing between both libraries, and steam decided to uninstall my perfectly good copy from my other computer. So now not only is it not working on my new laptop, I have to redownload it entirely.

Please give me the step by step loving guide to this simple task, in the smallest and least technical words possible, for I am clearly a neanderthal banging at these video games with a rock.

it may look like it's downloading, but it will 'download' it superfast because it's just checking all the files in the folder.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

I didn't believe you, but, there it is.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Crabtree posted:

Also, which one of you wants to make your own Jurassic World Park?
i suppose this is acceptable in place of dino park tycoon remastered

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Really Pants posted:

I'm sure Cheat Engine could do something, but I'm sorry to say I couldn't tell you what.

I'm a dumb idiot who can barely work cheat engine and all the cheat tables I've ever found for EDF don't change the percentage, unfortuantely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

anilEhilated posted:

Hell yes. More people deserve to experience that insanity.

Fear Effect, Fear Effect... I vaguely remember that title back around 2000, why is that...

Oh yeah.