Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Tangential to Steam, but does anyone have any PC speakers they'd recommend? I have a great headphone setup but sometimes I just don't feel like wearing the things.

Get yourself a couple of these puppies on e-bay, don't mind the weird UK plug they come in US plug types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

QuarkJets posted:

Get yourself a couple of these puppies on e-bay, don't mind the weird UK plug they come in US plug types

Oh my god you stole these from my basement, admit it!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

QuarkJets posted:

:vince: mine are called Trust but otherwise the same. At least 15 years old.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Highly recommend A++++++++++++++++++++++

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is the DLC for Nier Automata worth it? It's on sale for 50% off.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'll be honest I was rather thinking something I could run over to Fry's and buy :v:

(nostalgia tripping a little bit on those speakers though, dang)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Paradox games play basically like a turn-based game like Civ despite technically not being turn-based. It works really well and I'd suggest trying it
I did, that's the problem; there's always the feeling that I'm either not doing enough or letting something slip by just by inattention in the long periods of nothing happening.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I can't imagine the electrical draw on those things, no thanks :). I use Klipsch speakers and they are nice, noting that I'm in a bedroom where noise isn't a problem.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm using a set of 2.0 Bose speakers I got like 10 years ago at this point and they still get the job done when I don't want to wear headphones. I keep thinking I should upgrade but if I want any real fidelity I just throw the headset on.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Had anyone played Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare? As far as I can tell it's 1990s balkans mount and blade

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I’m still using my Klipsch Promedia 5.1’s from 2001. Had a nerd solder new caps on the amplifier after it died in 2010. Still going strong.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
an important milestone for my youtube

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the wd2 protag is such an amazing dork and I love him even if I can't remember his name for the life of me

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

the wd2 protag is such an amazing dork and I love him even if I can't remember his name for the life of me
Marcus.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Ciaphas posted:

Marcus something. He's great and somehow fits in most items you can buy for him.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

not sure how i feel about getting spammed about online activities though

also i wish you could turn off notifications from like the music app etc

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

DatonKallandor posted:

I've had hours of fun with it, but it's absolutely not done. You can get one or two runs out of every patch if you have some people to it with and those runs are really fun. Playing it solo is very difficult though.

Sounds like I'll keep it on my wishlist and wait until it's a little further done before trying to get my friends to buy it. It does look like a lot of fun.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Morter posted:

Marcus something. He's great and somehow fits in most items you can buy for him.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ciaphas posted:

I love the Marcus/Wrench interactions because they're both huge loving nerds but they're earnest about it, and they know how bullshit the stuff they enjoy is, it's not just pointless wanking.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Det_no posted:

So I wanted a cheapo game to pass the time and ended up getting Regions of Ruin, cause it looked interesting and it's currently a mere five bucks.

Tried this out, seems decent enough for $5. Stealth seems broken as hell with some enemies unable to detect you behind a tree while you stab them to death, and some monsters just dont care about their hitboxes so I can get all up in their personal space and be immune to damage because their attacks start too far out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

I’m still using my Klipsch Promedia 5.1’s from 2001. Had a nerd solder new caps on the amplifier after it died in 2010. Still going strong.

I’ve been using the 2.1 version for about a decade. They’re awesome.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Samuringa posted:

I love the Marcus/Wrench interactions because they're both huge loving nerds but they're earnest about it, and they know how bullshit the stuff they enjoy is, it's not just pointless wanking.

it's like if big bang theory was a good idea and also wasn't poo poo, or something like that

wrench is a great character :shobon:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Tried this out, seems decent enough for $5. Stealth seems broken as hell with some enemies unable to detect you behind a tree while you stab them to death, and some monsters just dont care about their hitboxes so I can get all up in their personal space and be immune to damage because their attacks start too far out.

Stealth never seemed to favor me so I'm rolling deep with my posse

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

corn in the bible posted:

I think it's bad because stellaris was already bad and tedious and it don't fix it. People who like Stellaris are like weird aliens to me :shrug:

Yeah, I'm the same, though I recognize that I'm the alien here. The thing is I absolutely adore EU3/EU4 and CK2, but Stellaris is just completely not my jam

I think for me it's that so much of the game feels so arbitrary. It's like they never had a core philosophy while building the game and instead chained together a bunch of ideas they hoped would work.

Small example: Civilian and Military ships have a bunch of weird differences between them. Civilian ships are built via "spaceports", military ships are built via "star bases". Civilians can't be designed and are always built with the latest updates - they even upgrade in space for free. Military require designing and manual upgrading for a cost.

Like I said, it's a minor example, but indicative of the entire game. Most mechanics are explained via "well, that's just how it works" as opposed to something that feels natural or intuitive

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Whats a good fighting game on steam. Something that has a huge player base and maybe goes as far as ESL.

I use to love smash brothers on game cube and I'm familar with 2d fighting games like street fighter. What do you recommend goons?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Turd Herder posted:

Whats a good fighting game on steam that has a huge player base

I have bad news

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Samuringa posted:

I have bad news

Is it terminal?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

Yeah, I'm the same, though I recognize that I'm the alien here. The thing is I absolutely adore EU3/EU4 and CK2, but Stellaris is just completely not my jam

I think for me it's that so much of the game feels so arbitrary. It's like they never had a core philosophy while building the game and instead chained together a bunch of ideas they hoped would work.

Small example: Civilian and Military ships have a bunch of weird differences between them. Civilian ships are built via "spaceports", military ships are built via "star bases". Civilians can't be designed and are always built with the latest updates - they even upgrade in space for free. Military require designing and manual upgrading for a cost.

Like I said, it's a minor example, but indicative of the entire game. Most mechanics are explained via "well, that's just how it works" as opposed to something that feels natural or intuitive

idk, that seems to be a good way of emphasizing ship roles. Civilian ships have their own applications completely separate from military ships, and the same with transport ships which have their own screens. Plus I appreciate not having more ships on one gigantic shiplist. Late game stellaris' ship builder can have a lot of different specialized ship designs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

idk, that seems to be a good way of emphasizing ship roles. Civilian ships have their own applications completely separate from military ships, and the same with transport ships which have their own screens. Plus I appreciate not having more ships on one gigantic shiplist. Late game stellaris' ship builder can have a lot of different specialized ship designs.

Yeah. Lord knows I don't want to have to deal with recalling a science ship back from across the entire galaxy so it can get some new thrusters. They cut out the busywork - it's a little abstracted, and I have NO idea how my scientists are getting to their ships instantly, but... screw it. Sometimes something has to be dumb and unexplained to make the game fun.

Stellaris, in my humble opinion, has so far nailed the balance between simulationist and abstraction, ala Civ games.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Turd Herder posted:

Is it terminal?

You can have 2 out of 3. There's Tekken 7, Injustice 2 and MKX on the 3D side, Under Night Very Long Name, Melty Blood, Skullgirls, BlazBlue and KOFXIII on the 2D side, and DBZFighterz & Guilty Gear somewhere in-between. Now, huge player bases...

Although I am far from a Fighting Game expert, someone else could chime in and give more detailed info.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Samuringa posted:

You can have 2 out of 3. There's Tekken 7, Injustice 2 and MKX on the 3D side, Under Night Very Long Name, Melty Blood, Skullgirls, BlazBlue and KOFXIII on the 2D side, and DBZFighterz & Guilty Gear somewhere in-between. Now, huge player bases...

Although I am far from a Fighting Game expert, someone else could chime in and give more detailed info.

Don't some of those newer games have crossplay with consoles?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

You also have Brawlhalla which is basically a F2P SSB clone.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Samuringa posted:

if you want a game you can play randos in: Tekken 7, FighterZ, maybe Injustice 2 (the NRS community is mostly on consoles afaik)

if you want a game you can find discord buddies for: pretty much anything in that 2D list except KOF13, and only because 14 on Steam and 98 on fightcade exist, also Guilty Gear

if you want a game literally just for single-player content and local button-mashing, because the competitive scene is Elvis-dead and nobody plays it on PC at all: MKX

e: this isn't meant to warn you away from MKX necessarily, if you've got buddies in person or you like story modes you'll actually get a lot of time out of it; it's just that the PC port was incredibly bad when it first came out, and in spite of the XL update fixing it, the community had already basically moved on by that point

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah. Lord knows I don't want to have to deal with recalling a science ship back from across the entire galaxy so it can get some new thrusters. They cut out the busywork - it's a little abstracted, and I have NO idea how my scientists are getting to their ships instantly, but... screw it. Sometimes something has to be dumb and unexplained to make the game fun.

I completely agree, but that's also my point! Why reduce micro for one class of ships but not the other? Why make me have to keep two systems in my head at all?

Similarly, sectors were meant as a way to manage large empires ala vassalage in CK2, yet I spent way more time microing my drat sector AI than I ever did planets I managed myself. I never used sectors for their intended purpose - I only made them to satisfy the planet cap requirements

Then you have diplomacy. You're lead to believe there will be complex interactions based on your traits and ethos, but that's all just behind-the-scenes pluses/minuses to your relationship number. That's it. There are almost zero meaningful ways to interact with your neighbors.

It's really not a bad game, but it's all just so disjointed and I don't really get why it's so popular

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

WarpDogs posted:

I completely agree, but that's also my point! Why reduce micro for one class of ships but not the other? Why make me have to keep two systems in my head at all?

Similarly, sectors were meant as a way to manage large empires ala vassalage in CK2, yet I spent way more time microing my drat sector AI than I ever did planets I managed myself. I never used sectors for their intended purpose - I only made them to satisfy the planet cap requirements

Then you have diplomacy. You're lead to believe there will be complex interactions based on your traits and ethos, but that's all just behind-the-scenes pluses/minuses to your relationship number. That's it. There are almost zero meaningful ways to interact with your neighbors.

It's really not a bad game, but it's all just so disjointed and I don't really get why it's so popular

Because combat ships are actively used for combat, microing those can be important when it comes to wars. Upgrade in the middle of a war? Pay to have top of the line ships? etc etc, those are interesting choices as compared to your science, army and colony vessels.

I'll give you sector and diplomacy - those need a major rework, or something. Like, they're okay but deeply flawed and need work to approach good.

But let me get to my central point: it's popular because it's a Paradox 4X Space Sim, with one of the easiest UIs to parse I've ever seen in the 4X genre. Even if you ditched the reputation, expectation and everything that comes with being a Paradox game - it's an interesting 4X that's easy to play. It absolutely nails early game exploration and being the little power in the universe, its flavor text is outstanding, and through the jank and unfinished stuff there's something worth playing. Toss in the active devs and I can see it doing decently well if it had been produced by an unknown.

Or, Stellaris aside, what else are you going to play that hits the same areas nearly as well? Endless Space 2 has been a whiff, and I'm struggling to think of anything else that's both modern and good. (To the peanut gallery: Distant Worlds Universe is good but not! modern! And the UI is bad!)

e: I could be talking out of my rear end, belated warning. I'm half asleep here. But I did really enjoy Stellaris and I'm gonna play more of it this week when I have time.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 23, 2018

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oh look, I'm the first person to write about this here again, what not a surprise!

Looks like the next Princess Maker game to come to Steam is Princess Maker 5, not 4. That was a surprise, but a smart decision, IMO, as 5 is much bigger than 4, and will probably sell better. The translation is surprisingly not a hot mess, more like a warm mess. It's worth noting that a near 100% English patch exists here (that's what I've been using for the past couple years), so hopefully someone will rig a patch to replace it on the Steam one.

Anyone interested in a thread? I'm a really big fan of the series, and am happy it's coming to "English" even if the translation is problematic.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Deakul posted:

You also have Brawlhalla which is basically a F2P SSB clone.

i was going to ask if anyone itt had any takes on this but then the words "F2P" sunk in. old habits die hard i guess

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stexils posted:

i was going to ask if anyone itt had any takes on this but then the words "F2P" sunk in. old habits die hard i guess

the heyday of Korean F2P games is over, all the current stuff that anyone plays has sane monetization

from what I'm aware Brawlhalla uses the League of Legends "rotation of free characters, use in-game points or cash money to buy them forever" thing

e: yeah, it's that plus you can just perma-unlock everyone (including all future characters) for a one-time $20, and everything else on the cash shop is cosmetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sininu posted:

Don't some of those newer games have crossplay with consoles?

Only Street Fighter 5 does, and SF5 is bad.