Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Any opinions on:

Starbound
Observer
The Forest

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Early Access: Objects in Space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdoD9N6iYHA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/824070/Objects_in_Space/

So this is a really interesting game. It has only 2 full time developers and 1 community manager, but has essentially been a passion project for them for the past 4-5 years. Think submarine combat game with ship piloting and combat of The Rocinante in the Sci-FI TV series The Expanse.

No viewscreens, no windows except for a very small one that shows next to nothing, and all driven on systems like an Apple II. You basically haul cargo in your ship from one space station to the next while getting money to upgrade your current ship or buy a new one. The actual engineering management is pretty in-depth where taking damage from torpedos or asteroid strikes can blow circuits in your nav sensors, helm, main engine, reactor, rotational RCS engine, comms, etc. You're then scrambling trying to repair these things on the fly with extra components or getting the drat things in enough working order to at least get you back home to a space station before a pirate blows you up.

It's still early access, but the developers on the discord talk to the community on a daily basis, have been patching it really frequently, and seem to have a general vision forward as where they want to go. I guess a long term goal is to make the entire star system multiplayer to an extent as well.

It's still really janky, but has a basic mainline story quest system in place, side missions, bounties, etc. I expected to get ripped off but have ended up spending like 15+ hours with this thing so far. The sound track is also loving incredible with tons of ambient synth tracks playing in the background.

It kinda has an old "Earth and Beyond" vibe to it but just not multiplayer and with 90s graphics.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

grrarg posted:

Thanks for that. I hope you will let the thread know how it turns out. I looked into the game when someone first posted about it and got scared off by the devs' previous early access stuff.

Objects in Space is 'good'.

It's good in the way that you should pick it up if you want to support a very tiny indie developer trying to make a really fleshed out space ship rpg with somewhat detailed subsystem mechanics. The almost $20 price tag sucks, but these guys gotta make money to keep development going beyond the initial release.

The Aussie Dev team is really responsive and have a discord where you can basically chat with them directly during most times of the day and will give you live updates on patches and builds like:

"gently caress me. We were gonna push this beta build live but then I tweaked something in space ship x's color pallet and now everything is completely broken and we don't know why yet and that's not good. Sorry guys, patch will have to wait until tomorrow."

Never seen a developer that readily chat with fans.

Probably not a good pick up if you are expecting a feature complete game with minimal bugs and good graphics. The foundation of what they got right now though is really solid; it just needs to be expanded on much more. I dunno. I jumped in expecting a complete dumpster fire and refund and have so far put something like 15 hours into this game and counting. Also, it looks like these guys have a somewhat decent publisher this time around versus trying to self-publish with their prior games.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Any opinions on Tyranny ???

About to pull the trigger on this one as it's developed by Obsidian and the story seems pretty interesting and unconventional compared to every single other RPG out there.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
So this is on Kickstarter with a free playable demo and coming out on Steam end of the year (beta early August).

Really digging the soundtrack with this game so far and the entire dev team consists of 11 Frenchies that are really into Dune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An317hx2LQA