Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Amalur is a perfect game to mindlessly play through while listening to music or a podcast or something. I thoroughly enjoyed wandering around, assassinating various magical creatures and admiring the pretty environments. I skipped through 99% of the story though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Apparently cards from that crappy batman tf2 clone sell for twice as much as your average trading card. Any idea why?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I don't give a poo poo if Valve makes HL3. I mean, I wish they would I guess, but there's so much scar tissue over that wound by now that I feel pretty apathetic about it by this point.

Really I just wish they'd do SOMETHING. They just exist to make money these days. Every single decision they make feels like the end result of a white-board full of dollar signs. And they're not even publicly traded, so they aren't beholden to stock-holders either. It's just sad seeing a company that used to thrive on creating things and pushing boundaries fall back to the safest possible strategies.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

She Bangs the Drums posted:

most companies exist to make money. what the gently caress are you talking about?

The companies exist to make money but, in theory, the individual employees also want to be creatively fulfilled. Nintendo exists to make money too, but they're still open to taking risks with their new IPs.

Sorry if that concept is difficult to understand.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

She Bangs the Drums posted:

did you just say Nintendo takes risks with new IPs? Nintendo? Do you live on the same planet as the rest of us?

Splatoon? ARMS? Wonderful 101? Not to mention that their franchises tend to shake things up at least a little with each new iteration, like with Breath of the Wild.

Compare that to how many risks Valve has taken recently. The last game they released that was even a little risky was loving Portal.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Orv posted:

They make new IPs, but they're first party Nintendo games, they're going to sell anyway, it's not really a risk.

Maybe, but I could say the same thing of Valve. If they released a new game with some thought and creativity put behind it, I'm sure it would sell like crazy. But doing something new would take 25% more effort and potentially make 5% less money so they don't bother.

They also seem to want to find ways to make a bunch of money off zero effort. The DotA card game, for example, is going to make them absurd amounts of money because people will be buying millions of cards off the marketplace and guess who gets a nice little cut of each purchase? It just feels scummy as gently caress.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

If anyone is unaware, a huge new patch is dropping for Total War: Warhammer today. It brings a new faction, the Norscan, and does a lot to make the Empire less pathetic and chaos less crappy to play. On top of that, it's adding a ton of changes to all existing factions and a bunch of the legendary lords are getting entirely new skill trees.

Full patch notes here:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/the-foundation-update/

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Started up Hellblade last night and played for about an hour. So far, it seems pretty interesting. I like how they represent schizophrenia in that there are voices that are encouraging, questioning, doubting. Sometimes they all speak up at once, sometimes it's just one or two at a time, and when Senua actually has thoughts of her own it cuts through everything else. There are a few other presentation things that are really unique and cool but I won't spoil them.

The gameplay itself is fine. Combat is flashy but extremely easy. The parry window is gigantic and attacks are massively telegraphed. The puzzles don't do much for me but they seem to just be excuses to get you to explore environments a little more, since the solutions are almost given to you.

Worth checking out I think. If nothing else, they're doing things with their sound design, mocap and...other elements that nobody else is doing right now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Only thing I don't like about hellblade is that it sometimes screams into your ears. One time I kept dying on a section (because I didn't realize there was a run button) and I was grimacing in anticipation of the extremely loud noise in my left ear when it would reload.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Alien Isolation is the only game in that bundle that I might pay money for, and even that seems like the kind of game that will bore me after a while.

Dead by Daylight looked sort of interesting but I am always hesitant of buying into multi only games, especially since ending up in the humble bundle probably means your community has evaporated.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Did he have this planned out years ago? Or did he just recently write this? The fact that Valve never finished that story is really annoying. I know it's played out to wish for HL3, but the argument that no one wants single player shooters anymore is just wrong. Doom and Prey are prime examples of single player shooters that people love. But I guess Valve doesn't make games anymore.

There is a place for the single player shooter still but valve has its eyes set on dollar signs many orders of magnitude larger these days.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Steam is a good service but its runaway success early on has stifled competition and made valve extremely boring Gabe Newell is literal Satan

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Do you have to provide proof of employment to post on Glassdoor? Or could some nerd post reviews on there under the guise of totally being Gabe's favorite coder?

Also, for people upset about the theoretical ending to HL3: I remember reading a little while back from some valve guys that it was always the intention for Gordon to get picked up and dropped off somewhere else at the end of each Half Life story. He's designed as the most pure blank slate for the player to inhabit, having no purpose other than driving the next shooter valve wants to make (lol)

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 25, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Shogun 2 is fun as gently caress. I like Warhammer but it doesn't have half the fun poo poo that game had.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Like what? The only thing I can remember WH not having is naval battles, and those are a drag to play in Shogun 2

Way more interesting city fights for one. There was a ton of variety and each one required different strategies. Warhammer is either wide-open field or one of two castle types.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Original Sin 2 is out in 10 days and I am hype!!

:same:

The stuff that's in the EA build is good but if it's anything like Original Sin 1 all the best stuff is yet to come.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hey all, I'm trying to build a simple web program that will let the user filter through their steam library based on certain tags.

The roadblock I'm running into is getting access to the tag data for a particular game. I've been diving into the steam api and googling a lot but so far haven't had much luck. Anyone have any insight into this? I'd like to get ALL tags for a game, including user-generated ones.

edit: I did manage to find this in the api:

[{"id":2,"description":"Single-player"},{"id":22,"description":"Steam Achievements"},{"id":28,"description":"Full controller support"},{"id":29,"description":"Steam Trading Cards"},{"id":23,"description":"Steam Cloud"},{"id":15,"description":"Stats"},{"id":25,"description":"Steam Leaderboards"}],"genres":[{"id":"1","description":"Action"},{"id":"23","description":"Indie"},{"id":"3","description":"RPG"}],"screenshots"

I'm not sure if these are "tags" or just general steam information though. Or if this includes user tags.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 27, 2018

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

EightDeer posted:

Serious question: What does your program do that http://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/ doesn't already accomplish?

Maybe nothing? I'm not building it for public release, just as a side-project I can talk about in interviews.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Can I get some thoughts on Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition?

I know there were originally issues with the story and pacing of the game, is it any better these days? I like action rpgs and the combat looks pretty fun (kind of like Dragon's Dogma?) and $25 for the game and dlc looks like a good deal.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

How is NIOH as a game? Every time I try to read up on it all I find are arguments about whether it's too much like Dark Souls, not enough like Dark Souls, better than Dark Souls, worse than Dark Souls etc

Is it just a fun and good game to play in its own right regardless of Dark Souls?

Does not compute

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

The Yahwg - CYOA playable with up to I think 6 people on single controller.

The yahwg was an interesting concept but felt a little half baked. Like it could've been really cool if the devs had been willing to write like 10x as much as they did. My friends and I played though it (which only takes like 20-30 minutes) and wanted to go again but it turned out we'd seen pretty much everything there was to see.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I really need to play this game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Today I spent over an hour watching an anime based on the game ffxv because it's apparently required viewing to understand the events of the game. What are you doing japan.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I brought the game for like $2 when it was bundled with literally like 80 other games years ago.

Same. I'll definitely pay full price for any dlc they put out though because what little I've played of CrossCode was super impressive.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Seconded. I didn't actually finish Subnautica, but I'm fine with that. It's a game that's way more about the journey than the destination. But I've never played a game like it that so perfectly encapsulates the experience of being the first human to explore and thrive on an alien world.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I've been enjoying FFXV a decent amount. The combat is pretty bland but it's cool to see the little team animations when your bros come to back you up.

My absolute favorite part is the photography system though, where one of your party members takes photos of whatever you did that day. Sometimes you just get a picture of a bush or something but occasionally something truly magical will float up, like the super angsty mc face-planting in front of a low level enemy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I will always* love and protect my stupid, precious boys

*when I actually get back to playing this game

It's funny I actually never save the posed pictures but the incidental ones are my faves.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Was hoping someone with experience using SteamLink could answer this for me: I have been playing FFXV with the SL app on my tv, the tv is hard wired my PC is running over wireless. Most of the time I'm getting a solid 50-60 fps, but every 30 seconds or so I lose a ton of frames, dropping to like 5 fps for a few seconds, before it goes back to 60. I've tried messing with settings and it hasn't made any difference. It seems like a network issue, but then why would it be perfect except for dropping like crazy consistently every so often?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

So I think I figured it out, I cleaned up the path between my router and computer to strengthen the quality of the 5ghz connection and that seems to have fixed the frame drops. I need the 5ghz to get the necessary speeds for streaming but I guess the signal wasn't strong enough to maintain the quality of the connection.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just popping in to say I'm loving ffxv. This game real fun.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Anyone have any tips for the landings in Steep? I'm trying to follow the stuff I've read and hold grabs until the last second while not trying to get too crazy with rotations and I'm still blowing every landing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Azran posted:

Before the sale ends, any games like Trine 2? As in, platformers with local coop.

Ms. Splosion Man. She loves you.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/105420/Ms_Splosion_Man/

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

So I checked a video and apparently G-Force in Steep is basically a punishment for ever going for a dangerous trick. If you don't land perfectly (which is quite likely and more likely based on the complexity of the trick) you'll take G-Force, which is essentially like damage. If you don't slow down and regen, you'll get KO'ed and have to watch a ragdoll for a while.

This is a mechanic that forces you....to be less rad....

If this isn't the most rear end-backward thing for a snowboarding game I've ever seen I don't know what is. gently caress realism, get that poo poo as far from this as possible.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 4, 2018

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Croccers posted:

Let go of your spins/flips earlier, your peep will continue to autorotate at a slower speed but they'll end up in a landing position. Also check the options to see if the Safety Flip option is on (stops you from flipping if you don't have the height)

Not on Steam yet but there's Session in the works. Super early EA still.

Ok so if I understand correctly you want to let it go before your landing, but not too far before or it'll kick into the "oh poo poo I'm falling" animation?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Artelier posted:

On the other hand, Heat Signature

which isn't really an rpg and its implementation is great but yes otherwise agree

You just reminded me that I needed to buy that. I just checked and there's no Switch version which seems a shame.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Been playing some Heat Signature and enjoying it so far, although I do wish it had a bit more structure to it in terms of storytelling. It's cool that each character has their own little sub story but that seems to mostly just be flavor text.

Is there any benefit to stealing ships if the mission objectives don't specifically call for it?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I would say that Bulletstorm is less "rip-and-tear" than Doom. You do a whole lot of murderin' but you're supposed to be focusing on how to maximize points. So instead of just shooting a guy in the head you may shoot a drill through his chest and send him flying into his buddy, then the kebab of bodies flies into a cactus.

Thanks for the answers on Heat Signature everyone. One other question: how common are deaths in this game? I'm still pretty early so I haven't faced any particularly hard missions, and even when I have gotten caught I haven't had any problem killing my way out. Is it normal to switch characters because of a death or should I just be swapping when I feel like it?

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 6, 2018

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I just tried to blow up a turret with a shotgun. It did not work.

An elite guard heard me and teleported in to investigate. I couldn't use lethal weapons but I had a wrench in both hands so I just chucked them both at his head and he went down before sounding the alarm.

I have 35 seconds to reach the extraction target.

This game is cool.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

lol I just killed one of my characters by shooting a shotgun and then teleporting in front of the bullets on accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

For this sale I picked up some stuff I was looking for and a few things based on the thread....

Dragonball Fighter Z
Injustice 2
SuperHot: Mind Control Delete
Nioh
Let Them Come
Bayonetta
BattleTech
Prey
Megaton Rainfall
Sol Survivor
Tesla vs Lovecraft
CastleStorm