Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mill Village posted:

I finished West of Loathing. The writing was easily the best part of the game. I think I'll take a break before I try to get the other endings, the game has some issues I hope the developers fix.

I also played and finished it, and yeah, there are some weird things in there and magic is OP like it is in the webgame.

The Military Cemetery has a second puzzle to it that I haven't figured out yet; I think it has something to do with the random wander things you get with the numbers but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Peewi posted:

If a game has sold "a few thousand" on Steam and half a million keys have been redeemed, Valve wanting to look a little closer at it seems very reasonable.

Selling them en masse to bundle sites, most likely. I don't really understand why they'd do this, honestly, especially if the game has cards, since they make money off of card sales.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The mushroom girl in fort darkness sells you one for 1k.

E: also what's wrong with zesteria?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

MGSV is an amazing game that unfortunately just stops before the ending.
I'll maintain that I really enjoyed it and I didn't have an issue with the plot not being weird; the big boss stuff was always more "serious" in tone than snake's adventures.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

There's something I've dubbed the Witch's House test. Anyone curious about it, you should download the game and just play around for a few minutes. Then read the spoiler:

Did you know out of the 12 people I've shown the game to (10-16 year olds), only 2 people were able to figure out that on the first screen there was a path leading upwards?

Are they blind, there's even a sign!! And a road!!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A:I is good, but it went on too long. Also the alien loving cheats during medical, which is really annoying.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gordon and Adrian Shephard can hang out in forgotten protagonist jail.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

mutata posted:

I like mod makers getting money for mods as long as the cut they get is substantial.

It's absolutely something like 95-5 and that 5 is in store currency.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I can't believe they delayed Sonic mania for two weeks to put in denuvo

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Nice of them to add a whole new character for the Steam version.

Denuvo the raccoon isn't even good, he keeps knocking over my trashcans and verifying my files.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They also make a few pretty good jokes w/r/t your new ability to pick the "girl" option.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jeff has said on the bombcast that he doesn't remember the 8.8 scandal, which I find kind of hard to believe.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mordja posted:

Jeff is a grown-rear end man with a house and a wife, why on earth would he remember it?

I mean, it was a pretty big thing in his career? The internet exploded over it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Have you seen the pictures of the AFK bots farming points for chests to sell skirts for $600 on the marketplace. There aren't any new Chinese players. Its getting to the point where 1/3rd of the game is afk and its a lot less fun.

Can you really tell the difference between a camper and an afk dude?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

yes because the AFK guys all get kicked out of the plane at the end of its path and they all drop together

Huh. I wonder if they'll figure out a way to deal with that? TF2 had (still has, I guess) an enormous problem with AFKing for boxes and items, and they never really figured out a good fix.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I thought SpecOps kind of stumbled in that regard too, in that you're lambasted about how you could have stopped anytime mannnn except you weren't actually given the option to stop in the story, except by turning off the game which you can do to 100% of all other games so what point are you trying to make. At least Far Cry 4 gave you a proper out if you just waited 15 minutes, which I thought was pretty cool.

My favorite thing about this is that they actually had a bunch of different endings and there was a button in the pause screen that was basically "exit site and report to CO" and people would pick that after about 15 minutes consistently in playtesting and then bitch about how short the game was.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Confession time: although this image was made jokingly, Kim Jong UN actually does have a Steam account, and I'm one of his friends on Steam. He and I were playing WarGame: Red Dragon just the other day, in fact.

He picked North Korea (as usual) and I picked the USSR. We matched up against some NATO scrubs and after a quick and easy victory, he said to me, "I don't get it Lumpy, why don't more big-shot game developers make good real-time strategy games anymore? This genre still has a lot of room for potential."

I just told him, "well, Kim, it's because a lot of that market has been sapped away by simpler, less macro-oriented strategy games, like MOBAs. Blame the DOTArds." He didn't say much after that, and seemed deep in thought. I doubt he dwelt on it too much.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The main game is just going to be the platform they build their online off of. I fully expect them to do the bare minimum for RDR2, because they've discovered where the money is, and it isn't singleplayer.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think the reason that PUBG was upset was because the advertising for Fortnite specifically compared itself to PUBG by name. That's using someone else's product to advertise your product.

That's 100% legal in America.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Spaseman posted:

Is this a game where sound matters at all? I don't really want to have to explain why I'm playing this kind of game.

I'd say yes?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't think Hollow Knight is very good tbh, because it gives you basically zero direction on where to go.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

dmboogie posted:

game's good, really funny at parts, and has probably the best dialogue/choice system I've seen in any VN (or even in most games, tbh) but it is still like at least 40% sex scene

It's all lesbian stuff too, right?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Way back I heard Homefront: The Revolution wasn't actually that bad. Can anyone confirm or deny?

It's dumb and super janky, but I enjoyed it. I'm also 100% sure the main character is literally mute and not just a silent protag because you never speak or motion that you're speaking through the entire game and it's really, really funny.
e: also the rain effects in that game are loving gorgeous.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I like that you went into this expecting a deep and intricate plot that had heavy commentaries on real world politics, for some loving reason

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tyranny is fun and really interesting but in classic Obsidian fashion the game just kinda ends in act 3.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Palpek posted:

Somebody needs to make a mod that replaces Shelob with a bear.

Tallion and Billy Herrington Take Mordor

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So I'm enjoying Mankind Divided but lol does it have some problems.

The lip sync is completely off, I've run into an untranslated French email, and I'm not super happy with their decision to only let you pick one of the story arcs to complete in Prague at the end of (assumedly) act 2. I do really like the universe and I love how the game is basically letting you see Bob Page and Meghan gently caress everything up and set the original Deus Ex into motion, but it's really spotty.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hey Too Shy, you should go back and do the little secret bit in Arrival, since it's at least interesting.
In the beginning of the game, grab the flashlight, turn the radio on, and then go out and interact with the missing poster twice.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Old World Blues is my favorite. I know a lot of people like Road and Hearts too.

I've never heard anyone say they liked Dead Money the best though (although I appreciate what they went for)

Honest Hearts is my favorite, though I really like what Dead Money was going for.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The only thing Skyrim did that I found legitimately cool was the enormous glowing mushroom and Crystal cave that stretched under Skyrim.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I dunno, it reminds me of Wasted, and that's not a great thing to be compared to.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I fully approve of the "don't mix politics and games" rule.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Net Neutrality affects every single person who uses the internet, US or no, so it's pretty important to talk about it

I don't mind the nn talk since it's game related but it's always funny to see people get salty in here because they're mad they can't post Trump hot takes in the steam thread

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Check the base Windows settings to figure out if it's Steam or Windows that is doing it.

start
control panel
sound
communications

When Windows detects communications activity:

select "Do nothing"

I really hate this "feature", I don't see why it isn't opt in at least instead of on by default and hidden in the sound menu.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

double nine posted:

what are people's opinions on Ruiner, West of Loathing and The Sexy Brutale? If you'd scrap one of those three, which would it be?

West of loathing is amazing, it's super funny. Ruiner is fun. I'd cut brutale, I guess?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DR is bad because half of the gimmick of the writing is starting up arcs for characters and then either immediately or waiting a case to kill them off before they can get any narrative closure. You very quickly stop giving a poo poo about any of the characters, and the entire game is built around those characters, so you can see why it fails at what it's trying to do.

Tenzarin posted:

Thinking of getting AC origins or Shadows of War or Prey, help.

Get prey, prey is super fun.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't really get why the awards aren't specific for time periods. Them being "all games on steam ever" is weird and kind of pointless.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is free on Humble, and it's worth it for that price as a neat little FPS with a team you can order around.

It also has a neat twist! I recommend the game to anyone who is considering picking it up.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

il_cornuto posted:

There's a Nicalis publisher sale on Steam. Don't get The End Is Nigh unless you are OK with it being not as good as Super Meat Boy and also really not valueing your time at all. Possibly do get Creepy Castle, I've heard it's good but short and can confirm that the first 10 minutes are charming.

End is Nigh is good tho!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Another Humble Bundle XMAS bundle

35$ gets you...

Rust
Dungeon of the Endless
QUBE
Garry's Mod

and mystery games

I'd rather throw my money into the loving trash, what an incredibly lovely bundle

The next group of games better be loving amazing because Rust is maybe one of the worst EA scams out there since dayZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

IIRC, The Bureau has been through development hell. The gameplay is nothing special but it tells a pretty good story.

That being said, managing your teammates is a huge part of the gameplay and in the harder fights it is as important as covering and shooting. I don't remember there being any bad class so maybe you just didn't get to the point where leaving them on their own just doesn't work yet.

Basically thinking that it's just a cover shooter and the teammates are there to make the fights look intense is a mindset that won't get you far; thing is designed around commanding them, using them to flank the enemies and so on.

Yeah it's super important to remember that this is a third person tactics game, you really shouldn't rely on the AI that much unless you're busy dealing with something super important, like not dying.

Also don't forget your hat!