Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Star Ruler 2 is a great take on space 4x and Distant Worlds will always be at the tippy top for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Pathos posted:

I’m pretty sure the answer to this is a big no, but are there any Tactics RPGs that compare favorably to Final Fantasy Tactics? I’ve played Disgaea (1,2,5) and they’re good but absurdist. I really just want FFT2, but I doubt that will ever exist and all the Kickstarter knockoffs I’ve seen have been dogshit. Is there anything, by chance, that I’ve missed?

Check out FFT 1.3 and other romhacks at ffhacktics. That's what I've resorted to.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Seriously if you're jonesing for more FFT check out http://ffhacktics.com/

There are dozens of patches that do everything from making the game actually difficult to full conversions.

Here's where you'll find a bunch of info on FFT 1.3 (difficult, rebalanced, etc.) specifically: http://ngplus.net/InsaneDifficultyArchive/www.insanedifficulty.com/board/indexd616.html?/forum/13-final-fantasy-tactics-13/

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Jamfrost posted:

I'm the player that doesn't engage with the maps very much. Although the new expansion might change that in the future when I decide to create a new character (backlog, backlog, backlog). I'll also probably talk to all the NPCs again. The game is about how much you can get away with your reckless theme/character gimmick until you need make adjustments for me.

Agreed with the story comment, however the most recent expansion has given you a reason and incentive to not repeatedly run the same map over and over again.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Rimworld is a VERY good game and the modding community is awesome and large. I put about 400 hours in with just these mods:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Turd Herder posted:

Anyone play the side scrolling RPG that just left early access Regions of Ruin It looks like its getting decent reviews. But one thing that sells me is there are no procedural generated levels. All of it is hand crafted.

It's super buggy (menu issues) and I couldn't get into it for the 15 minutes I tried it. I'll check it out again in a year.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

There was a game that was posted in this thread less than a year ago that was kind of like a wizard builder where it had like a hundred schools of magic and you start as a lowly wizard and work your way up. I may be completely off on that. I think ti was a remake of an old game, or an expansion to an older game. It was mostly text based but it had old school graphics. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

The words Open Sorcery made me think of it...

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah this is it! ...but it doesn't look as interesting as it sounded in my head. Thanks

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

If you signed up for the Disgaea 5 beta, they are sending out emails.

Hell yeah!!

MOTHERFUCKER

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ghost of a Tale, Tooth and Tale, what other games where you can be a mouse?

Ratz: Instagib

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

On the other hand, there's Star Ruler where if you don't put enough thrusters onto a design then, when the ships hyperdrive into a star system, they all fail to brake properly and proceed to dive into the sun.

Star Ruler 2 is soooooo good. Being able to fling planets around the galaxy using the specific FTL travel option that let's you fling stuff is such an awesome mechanic.

And it was made by a goon!

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

Had this pop up in my discovery queue today and thought it looked interesting, Persona-styled Korean X-COM clone but it's also taking a leaf from Final Fantasy Tactics apparently.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/470310/Troubleshooter/

Albus Bernstein

.......lmbo

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've been watching a tutorial video series, but migod the UI is so hard to read. Stellaris has problems but I can understand things at a glance (mostly) compared to DW.

Fortunately it's worth learning the UI and the game mechanics since the game is so great. Unfortunately the complexity of those two things turns a lot of people off before they have a chance to experience said great game.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've been banging my head against it for three hours so far, piecing together what I like and don't like and how to play.

I think the automation is a problem, weirdly enough: because I can automate so much of the game, it feels like I shouldn't bother playing? Like, why should I meddle when I'll screw up the AI's perfect plans.

Manual play is the best way to play it...but it's also the only way I've played it so there may be some bias. I used this guide: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3508583 when I first started playing to learn the ropes. I'm pretty sure the author intended the "Manly Man way to play" to also include women...

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

But I already bought D5 on sale and preloaded it... :(

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Orv posted:

Mount & Blade is a definite chunk of its DNA. You go around, hiring up dudes, all of whom function like M&B companions instead of troops, they all have XP, health stats for every organ and limb, and they all have combat statuses like cowardice and bravery. The world is static, though I believe NPC/mob spawns are not. Like you said there's also base building, supply chains a la (though not as complex as) Stronghold, a dynamic trading economy across the world.

The game is one of those things that everyone who's ever had a favorite game has said "I can make a video game, I've got all these rad ideas" except maybe one in a million people actually go through with it, a definite passion project. There is a serious enough base of people who love Kenshi and have been fanatically playing it for the past decade, but it is an absolute mess of a game without question. Should you play it? Probably not, but like I said, there's probably someone on these forums for whom it's the perfect game.

I guess it all boils down to what you're prepared to tolerate in terms of rough edges for a unique experience. I can't argue with the complaints about Kenshi's flaws, but then I ride a 50 year old Triumph and its a similar experience. People often come up to me and admire it, and ask about owning one and are put off by the price you pay in blood sweat and tears . I had a girlfriend for years who was sex on a stick, my junk has never forgiven me for dumping her, nobody could believe my luck, but I tired of dodging crockery. If you want easy go buy a Big Mac, but it hardly counts as a gourmet experience. You don't get to have your cake and eat it in this life I'm afraid, and if you haven't learnt that life is a compromise yet, prepare yourself for a steep learning curve.

edit: ok I admit that's a comment on a 500 hour negative review

Garfu fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 3, 2018

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Solvency posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Kenshi? The first review for the game really sparked my interest with it's open world and the ability to actually have an effect on the world.

I love it. I played it for 70 hours in about 10 days. I only stopped because my heavily modded save got corrupted and kept crashing in the same spot otherwise I probably would have went 100+ in 2 weeks.

You don't have any effect on the world though unless you download a specific mod that let's you clear out cities and have other factions take over. It's not currently in the base game though.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I don’t think anyone’s played it. I ended up watching a bunch of let’s plays and grabbed it based on that, but won’t get a chance to play it until the sale is over. The biggest complaint I’ve come across is a lack of end game content which seems like what the last two updates before it leaves early access are going to address. They’re going to add a super high level part of the map in the next update and then the final update is all going to be faction related. Stuff like groups reacting in deeper ways to their leaders being killed and choosing a new one, the ability to take over existing cities instead of just building your own and such.

I played about 70 hours of it recently. It took around 40 mods to make it and keep it interesting for me. Agreed its definitely lacking in end game content. It's pretty great though, just extremely janky like others have said.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Endless *egend - J0X0J-X6LA*-9PL7R
Black*ake - A62V8-H70PQ-AN*9B

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

jokes posted:

Just wanna say I bought a game called "Rise to Ruins" on a lark and ended up going to bed at 3AM last night because I couldn't stop playing. It's basically a dwarf fortress/gnomoria game mashed together with tower defense, also kinda like Black and White with the god powers tied to your magical god cursor.

Anyways, it was $5 and I feel like poo poo because of it and I highly recommend it.

Rise to Ruins is very very good and is a steal at $5. I paid $10 and I'd easily pay $20 for it. I have somewhere around 50 hours in it and it's still early in development with a lot of additional features planned.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

CH2 is boring and shallow. The "giant poe-esque skill tree" is a bunch of nothing. Wait a year for a few more features to be tacked on.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

trapped mouse posted:

Of course. It doesn't go on sale ever, and once it gets released the price actually increases. I was waiting for it to be released because I assumed at that point you wouldn't need to download so many mods to have a decent time, but...

Doesn't sound like that's the case. It sucks, because it sounds like my kind of game, but I hate that idea of figuring out which mods are basically required, which ones end up making things less enjoyable for me personally, and which mods are basically just cheating.

On a completely unrelated note, nobody look at my playtime for Mount and Blade: Warband

There's not much in vanilla that needs to be 'fixed' by mods. There are a ton of mods that add some QoL things and content, but the base game is extremely solid. You're doing yourself a disservice by not playing Rimworld if you're interested at all in those kind of games. It's very very very good and made even better by the mods and the modding community.

edit: no mods are required

source: me, 1k+ hours modded and unmodded

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Absolutely play Starsector after the next patch (should be coming any day now...). While the game is very playable in it's current state, the next patch adds colony management and conquest.

100% Mount & Blade in space and it's really really really good. Some of the best AI and gameplay dev out there.

Also a very active modding community for a game in development and not even on steam yet.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Chronicon is a VERY good 2D Diablo3/PoE/Division2-like ARPG. It's very deep and rewarding and the item customization is pretty great already. There are 'Rift' type end game dungeons with a whole lot more planned for 1.0 release. I'd highly recommend it if you're into those games.

I've played a lot of PoE/Diablos and it's scratching the itch. Perfect casual looter game at the moment.

Like all games in the genre it starts off a little slow until you get some items and some power and then eventually you're clearing entire dungeons in ~10 seconds and zooming around everywhere.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

double nine posted:

Has X4: Foundations been improved since launch? I remember reading that it still needed a lot of work - UI issues mostly, and some bugs iirc - but that the core gameplay was solid. Has this been improved sufficiently to merit a purchase?

Long answer: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870121

short answer: No

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Starsector is an absolutely amazing game with an even better modding community. It was worth the price 5 years ago. It will be on steam eventually but is in a fully playable and feature rich state right now. We'll worth it.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

VodeAndreas posted:

5 years? You're new to the game then :v:. I bought in in Feb 2012 and have put hundreds of hours into it over the years.

Fantastic little space sim that is fairly flexible to either being the big hero blasting everything yourself or sitting back in your big cruiser watching the action and letting your turrets do the work.

:smug:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

Now that there's a bunch of Starsector, uuuh, sons? in the thread, are there any must-have mods I should install from the get-go?

Pretty active thread with all of that info and a lot of people eager to give suggestions: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Ya BMT Micro is one of the oldest buy-game-directly-from-website payment processors around. Haven't had any issue with them.