Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

By the way, was there ever any objections raised towards Steam Economy Enhancer being a non-skeevy market mod to replace the one that got bought out by a skin reseller?

It requires a plugin along the lines of greasemonkey or tampermonkey, but seems fit for purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jamfrost posted:

I don't get it. Is there a meta-narrative with the supernatural stuff with Far Cry. I thought Brotherhood was about crazy fanatics. Or did I misread?

Also, the thread's new car smell is already gone. :smith:

Someone heard that the drug trips in FC3 were a fairly interesting twist, and that, since every animal now used the FC3:BD innovation, they needed something new. So they thought, hey, what if we do more of that, but a few different variations and with… you know… gameplay attached (and also a separate set of drug trips because you can't stray too far from a formula at UBI).

Also, it served as a neat excuse to make the player use the grappling hook more, and also set up the backstory of one of the quirky minibosses a bit more. Oh, and as the obligatory Far Cry bad metaphor about the corruption of whatever.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 27, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Xander77 posted:

People who played through Far Cry 4: Do you get anything out of seeking out and completing all the Shangri La sequences?

You get something very special that no Far Cry after FC1 provides: a boss fight.

I suppose the other Kalinag-inspired fight is also a boss fight of sorts, but that's still the same game so it doesn't count against that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Xander77 posted:

You're forgetting about all those awesome boss fights FC3 had. Like the guy you fight after he stabs you, and the utterly nondescript big bad business boss, and the giant evil demon, and the Australian rapist...

They kind of broke the pattern with that one though, because I'm pretty sure it wasn't a hallucination.

I suppose the ink demon might count, but that was pretty much just a light gun game. The rest were just QTEs.
This is a a proper '90s-FPS style boss arena. That's got to be worth something, right? Right?

Also, I think you get a fuckton of Karma, which is useless since the AI companions you'd use it for are in every way less capable than your average wolf, tiger, badger or elephant.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Anyone who actually played through FC:B - how the hell do I stealth outposts with hunters in them? There are always two of them covering each other, they spot me the moment I try to stealth or if I kill anyone (particularly the other hunter), they charm any animal I try to send in, and they fade from the radar and pop up behind me the moment I try to stealth-murder the places where they are not (I swear those fuckers have super hearing or something)

Bows or long-range silenced sniping when they're not looking. They will have gaps when they're not directly covering each other, and they'll have to react to the corpse like everyone else rather than spot you from seeing the kill. They're also as susceptible to the rock as everyone else.

Funnily enough, citadels are actually easier than regular outposts as far as dealing with hunters, since they always have some sneaky hiding spot that you can get to where you can just take your time and kill them off without them ever having a chance to see you.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Xander77 posted:

I generally wouldn't ask for help in this thread, but whatever - a whole bunch of people used to ask for help with hexcells, so let's jump of this bridge.

How the hell am I supposed to get to this question mark? Too high for a buzzer, and I can't seem to get to any high spots around / near it.

First, where does the nearby glider get you?
Second, along the edges of the map, there are quite a few of those spots where you have to start from a nearby POI — but still a decent distance away — and then grapple-swing your way along the cliff face to gradually get higher and closer. I'd start looking by the lake/waterfall/village thingamajig to the northwest.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Earlier, I tried to do a takedown from above on a flamethrower guy, went gliding with my suit because I keep thinking it's the sprint button, was lit on fire as I passed him and crashed into a tree.

If you ignore all the story stuff and the standard Ubi sandbox collectathon, FC4 is a pretty good game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Xander77 posted:

I like both of these. Liked them in FC3 as well.

I'd like it more if AJ had a personality to speak of, and it the story wasn't so sparse compared to all the other activities, but still.

Edit - I'd really appreciate the collectathon if I could get my hands on a "spawn a gyrocopter on the spot" mod.

You can get one unlocked for your homestead once you get that far — with fast travel, it's as “on the spot” as it gets. Maybe some of the citadels have them too, once you start taking over those, but I don't remember.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

…and for the love of all that's holy, if you play SWAT 4, get a mod that rebalances what you can carry. In particular, making door wedges easier to carry than a bajillion grenades and mags that you don't actually need.

I think there might be ones that make the shotgun be slightly more threatening than a dry sneeze, too.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Morter posted:

Bioshock 1 could use a remastered in a 'stabilized for 201x systems', but neither of them needed their looks updated.

I think so far the only good 'remaster' game has been Hard Reset.

Depends on qualifies one as “good”, I suppose. The Baldur's Gate updates and some of the Lucasart and Resident Evil remasters were pretty good.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Morter posted:

Well, the invisible qualifier being 'of the ones I've played'. :v:

Pah! This is not the age where you let experience limit what you have a resolute opinion on. :D

Also: have a loot at those if you liked the originals. They're still good games — now modernised.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 2, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Leal posted:

Why does Grid 2 take up at minimum 2 and can go as high as 5 slots on my special offers box on the store page?

It's very special, and it's called Grid 2 — if it didn't take at least two grid squares, then that would just be bad and wrong.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

NBA 2*7 — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=6xG5*Py7WZWW2cdc
ONE PIECE B*RNING BLOOD — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=AeRnc6yX2Ek6*e8Y
*illars of Eternity — DQYGM-IQET*-FCCLI (because clicking the right link is hard).

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 4, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

There's a stealth level.

Both of those are just inherent in the concept of the 00-era FPS.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Oddworld: New n Tasty

I have thoughts on this game.

I never played the original Oddworld, so I hold no nostalgic fuzzle-wuzzles for the source material. So this review is strictly of Oddworld as its own entity.

What it gets right, it gets really, really right - the colors, sounds, and story, even including the hackneyed, trite Captain Planet themes and forced rhyming couplets, are charming to the point of absurd. It's clear that Oddworld is a masterclass in the grotesque cuteness that Jhonen Vasquez and Danny Elfman were also tapping into around the time of the original. And that charm and feel has to carry this game, because the gameplay, updated it may be, does not.

Oddworld is a stealth puzzle platformer. This means lots of slow, precise movements. Oddworld's controls, however, want to be Crash Bandicoot or Sonic - all momentum and buildup/running. While the running animations are impressive, they're useless. You have next to no control over poor Abe as you will have him skidding off ledges, into bombs and on top of armed Sligs all game.

Coupled with stingy checkpointing and awful "load times" (entirely artificial, as you have to watch Abe regenerate), and a quicksave that requires, no kidding, going THREE MENUS DEEP to quickload, means if you don't get the long sequence right the first time, you have quite the wait in front of you to retry.

This is unacceptable. Poor Abe doesn't deserve what is done to him by you in this game, mostly because you are not trying to do it - it just is faulty controls. If you have the patience of a saint, or the willingness to approach a late-90s PSX game as an artifact, not a modern toy, you can get your fun out of it. I did, but I didn't finish because I just couldn't keep going back to the same room and reloading again and again to fail at the last jump.

Godspeed, Abe. May you find your gameplay in the next generation.

Addendum from someone who does hold all the nostalgic fuzzle-wuzzles: everything that is unacceptable about this game is something that was altered or added to the 3D remake and something that the original had worked out perfectly. By eschewing the screen-and-grid based setup in favour of a moving 3D camera and a smoothly animated Abe, there is no longer any tightness and rhythm in how you string together different moves to (not entirely) effortlessly jump across ledges, skip over bombs, and up and down various cover to avoid enemies. The original was about fast precise movement and had a control scheme and an environment that played perfectly together to allow that.

Similarly, the move to 3D replaced bespoke story-telling art with generic and often misplaced assets; it made the game gaudy bright where it should be dark and oppressive; and it removed some pretty significant parts of the movement-puzzle-solving — quite possibly in a failed attempt at counteracting the sloppy controls and imprecise signalling of what you currently can or should do. Animations are arbitrarily sped up or slowed down, seemingly without any thought as to what they're supposed to convey, which further adds to the feeling of slipperiness — stuff that in the original had weight and momentum are now either lazily oozing about, interacting with the world in ways that just look wrong to the eye, or they're just uniformly fast, with no lead-in or lead-out, making them look completely artificial.

If you want gameplay, play the original. If you want good controls, play the original. If you want good graphics, play the loving original — even at PS1 resolution with 2D assets, it looks more believable and coherent and grounded than the exploded Skittles-vomit bucket of the remake.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Yo guys watch me post

I'm posting

Impressive.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Also, unless it's Wold Tour GOLF, it's not really worth watching anyway.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I AM BRAWW posted:

Does Mafia 3 pick up at any point? I've just freed the prostitution house for Cassandra, and the game overall just feels like a sloppy GTA wannabe.

No. But it does get more repetitive and tedious.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Palpek posted:

I guess I enjoyed Alien: Isolation.

I don't know… unless you have two dozen posts to prove it, I just don't know if I believe that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I wish Alien Isolation had an auto difficulty that went up or down depending on how you were doing because it was hard for me to find the right balance between "this alien is real dumb" and "I took a step and now he's skullfucking my corpse."

There is some of that in how the AI director decides the alien's macro behaviour, and if you read up on what the director uses to measure “stress” you can somewhat manipulate that behaviour. It doesn't make a huge amount of difference the way it does in, say, L4D, but that's more because the microbehaviour is that much more complex than the run-at-player-and-punch the zombies had.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

mcbexx posted:

Daaaamn, I just grabbed Rise of the Tomb Raider from the Humble monthly and I'm amazed how gorgeous it looks on high settings and how well it plays on 3440x1440 on a GTX970.
45 fps + GSync make for a nice gaming experience. I thought I was going to be forced into a 1080i upgrade sooner than later, but I can live with this until the next generation drops.

Again, :drat:

That opening sequence in the mountains :monocle:

Not to ruin your plans of delaying an upgrade, but it's worth mentioning that it's a ridiculously well-optimised engine. It's kind of funny how 2015 was a great year in that regard: between RoTR, MGSV and Mad Max, for a while it seemed like gaming companies had realised that making your game fast was an important part of actually making it impressive.

We'll see how long it takes (if ever) for that lesson to really take hold.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

What the gently caress

Eh. It's no more nonsensical than what it was in response to.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Augus posted:

That seems counter-intuitive

It is our right, nay, duty as Steam thread posters to not touch our backlog unless the game can be construed to be bad in a way that lets us complain about it — and be lambasted for it — in the thread. It's the circle of posting.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

What's that Superhero sim game that's supposed to be coming out soon? It's basically just flying around and destroying aliens and spaceships while loving up whatever city you happen to be in.

First person, if that helps.

Megaton Rainfall? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saeYo2A4cik

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dias posted:

The funny thing is that Automata probably outsold whatever expectations Squeenix had for it, so they can't even hide behind that one.

Knowing Squeenix, this is probably why it hasn't seen any additional support. Nothing defies their expectations and gets away with it. :argh:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Ashmole posted:

Is Elite Dangerous any good? I'm trying to find a good MMO. Is Star Citizen playable yet?

E:D is a a modern Elite, with all that entails. If you like Elite, it's good; if you don't, it's not. It is not an MMO, but it is a killer app for VR.
Star Citizen does not exist, and is increasingly unlikely to ever do so.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I know this ship has sailed, but for the love of Ramone, can we stop adding -punk as a suffix to random words?

(The answer is no.) :(

Time to introduce a stop-punk game and use it as a vehicle for you political spiel.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The Kins posted:

Humble Capcom/Sega/Atlus Bundle

Pay $1:
Rollers of the Realm
Zeno Clash 2
Sonic Adventure 2
Bionic Commando
Citizens of Earth

BTA:
Renegade Ops Collection
Sonic Generations + DLC
Resident Evil 4
Dead Rising 1
Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure

Pay $12:
Motorsport Manager
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition

€5 for Dead Rising — is it worth it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

That time again…

Bionic Comman*o — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=cfNSEzBvT*uuHRN*
Citizens of E*rth — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=hKB2XAXTkNqhBbd*
Renegade Op* Collection — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=d*Zeyc58qKX3HK3v
Reside*t Evil 4 — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=*rc8VDx*yuUPVk*K
Sonic Ad*enture 2 — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=*h68e5FSk2hhtstD
*onic Generations Collection — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=tFTww*kMtEkXqteE
Tesla Effect: * Tex Murphy *dventure — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=uurGDyee428RC*vS
Z*no Clash 2 — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=XhY*3VkX6pxyfD2U

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 13, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lyrai posted:

What's the alternative(s) to Steam Inventory Helper? They changed their permissions and now wants to read any and all websites you visit to build a (targeted advertising?) profile on you and I don't want that on a dinky little steam helper thing.

Fedoral Reserve thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/70xofs/warning_trusted_steam_inventory_helper_now/dn6r6hu/

Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and Steam Economy Enhancer works pretty well.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

*iddle-earth: Shadow of *ordor Game of the Year Edition — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=nXVDaddvrzbRSs*8

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Getting on that Heat Signature train:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/TippisBRC/

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

VolticSurge posted:

So, uh, first Goon review of Heat Signature... is pretty negative.

Yeah, but Jeff is gushing and is also always right (unless he's wrong).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Zetsubou-san posted:

when I send a request to someone I go to the friends list and add details to the nickname (username and/or where from), then when the request is accepted, just move to the relevant friend group.

Heat Signature

just rescued strix from a rather large ship with seconds to spare. made my way through with some lucky drops and got to strix with not enough time to get back to the pod. went to the outer hull, shot a window ejecting us both and then remoted the pod to pick us up, 2 seconds before death.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Eyyyy thank you!

Just the other day, I was moaning about how space games never did anything new any more and immediately this game comes along and dickslaps me in the face.

It's a karmic punishment I suffer gladly.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

buglord posted:

I bought wolfenstein TNO because the trailer for the new one looked sick. It's really fun. Does it stay good? I hope it stays good.

It stays good.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

strategery posted:

Why would anyone making a game not back it up in like 20 different places.

Sometimes, game developers are stupid. Other times, people will actually believe the dog ate your homework, so it's worth trying as an excuse.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I like digital versions of board games and games that borrow their trappings. Discrete integers and dice and tiles are much easier to think about strategically and the good ones have mechanical quirks and gameplay that you don't see in more traditional video game genres.

Twilight Struggle for example, is super good

Or Talisman — it's like a clicker game, but with less interaction and player agency. :D

(But seriously, though. Twilight Struggle is brilliant, in both digital and physical form whereas Talisman is… neither.)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Talisman is hilarious explicitly because nothing you do matters. It's the dumbest bullshit all about how anything you try will fail and while everyone's falling over themselves somebody will inevitably win by doing nothing and I love it. It sounds like it should be absolutely miserable but for some reason I just bust up laughing every time.

The one major flaw with the digital edition is that you can't set the number of (human) players to zero. It would be perfect if it weren't for having to actually play it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

lazorexplosion posted:

God drat you humble bundle I would have got it if Shadow Tactics was the headliner instead of trash.

My immediate reaction to next month's bundle. Why the hell would they headline with a game that disincentivises paying for the bundle? :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

dmboogie posted:

survival online zombie shooter like day z

i can’t even remember if it’s bad at what it does, but i am in no way interested in what it does

It's not bad, just wholly dull and uninteresting. It's the awkward middle-of-the-road stepping stone between DayZ and PUBG. They've rebranded it twice now to make it seem interesting, on top of paying all kinds of streamers and community front-people to try to get people excited about it, and all that effort has completely failed to distract everyone from how thoroughly meh the whole thing is.

That said, give-aways:

*ain World — 2MEX9-DJ4PE-HH*80
Guacamelee Su*er Turbo Championship Edition — 609FX-ZBWV*-CXX6K (except with a capital letter, obviously)
The Elder Scrolls Online: T*mriel Unlimited — *PFXY-MQ0VI-3VWQV (same)

ESO Vanity pet: Bristlegut Piglet and 15 days of ESO Plus — 67A5M7YJNN49JXF9NM4W (redeemed on account.elderscrollsonline.com)

The Elder Scrolls: Legends: 2 *ard Packs etc. — 2X3B-*7FY-D8PQ-P7AU-A83D (redeemed in the Bethesda.net client)

Pathfind*r Online Early Enrollment (30-day) — 0daa-44fc-*ff6 (invite code to be redeemed on the PF:O website)

De*d Rising 2 — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=64WVZukrE*4KFXzk
Quak* Champions Early Access plus yadda yadda — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=5kS8D*5Gc5Bq7hSB
Resident Evil 5 Gold Editio* — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=bwGAhSXbck*GYxD8