Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is Civ 6 worth it at 40 bucks? It feels like it's taking ages for a good sale for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks for saving me forty bucks on Civ 6 guys! Too bad about it and Beyond Earth; Civ 4 and 5 are some of my favorite games. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Urban Empire's not very good right? It's got 2.5 stars everywhere but I've never heard anything about it. The idea of a citybuilder where you only have partial control sounds really fun though. The thing I've learned from Tropico and Banished is that they're too easy because they're too solvable, but games like Sim City and Cities get boring for me because they're largely just about making a huge city; a lot of the incidental stuff sort of doesn't matter.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

you can also solve this issue by not playing this intensely bad game

Actually, it's good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Glare Seethe posted:

I really enjoyed climbing stuff in the early Assassin's Creed games because the movement/parkour was a major part of the gameplay and fairly innovative at the time, and because of the historical landmarks. Looking up at Giotto's Bell Tower and thinking "yeah, I'm gonna climb that" and then doing it and being rewarded with a superb view and a bunch of new map markers was great. It obviously lost its luster somewhat as Ubisoft ran it into the ground as a mechanic but I still think it can be good in the right setting. I actually haven't played any of the recent Far Cry games so I dunno how it works there but I can't imagine it being as exciting as climbing the Sistine Chapel or whatever.

I used to replay rear end Creed 2 and rear end Creed Bro pretty regularly (Revelations had too many annoying gimmicks but it was fun), Black Flag was good but I have no real desire to play it again although I'm playing Freedom Cry right now, but the series sort of just poo poo itself at 3 and at that point I realized I'm good on buying new ones.

I still get a laugh out of the one Ubisoft tower in AC3 being a small flagpole on a hill because as it turns out Colonial Boston doesn't have loving anything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghostlight posted:

The betrayer was inside you the whole time.

Speaking of which it's been years now but it's still a bummer how mediocre Betrayer ended up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Azran posted:

Ironically, I think my gf is going to go with The Sims 2. What are the best "build a town/city" games on Steam?

Cities Skyline, Tropico, Banished

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sivek posted:

I tried Nongunz from the humble monthly and it's not even worth the 80mb download. It's been a while since I played such an immediately unenjoyable game.

From what I understand of the game that seems to be the point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

King Keltair posted:

Just did this last week myself - you have one or two more templars to kill plus the guy that betrayed you, then you go back to mcguffin palace to face off with the last guy.

Then, the final real world sequence, after which a return to the animus gives you the ending. Depending on how much travel time or real world hacking you do, you could be as close as an hour to the end credits. I know I started to rush and fast travel at that point myself, because I started playing DOOM and knew that if I didn't finish now, I would never come back.

Final rankings for Black Flag:
Open world pirate simulator - Incredible
Real world nonsense - not bad and actually kind of funny?
Main plotline and following missions - uuuguhuguugu

I say this every time it comes up but Assassin's Creed: Black Flag's plot is hilarious because it's a tragedy about a man trying desperately to escape from the plot of Assassin's Creed: Black Flag and ultimately failing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Too Shy Guy posted:

The Void was restored to Steam last year. And you can count me among the folks who liked Knock Knock for its atmosphere and never figured out how the gently caress any of it worked. It's a long, repetitive game that you can render unwinnable so it's... actually a lot like their other games but worse in regards to obfuscation and repetition.

Knock-Knock's pretty cool but I apparently only beat it when I did because of a bug where you don't run out of sanity. Hiding is completely useless too.

quote:

I played it a little ages ago but had issues with the "draw to use spells" mechanic. The drawings were fairly simple, but I couldn't get them to register right. I ended up putting it down in short order because of that.

I bought the game because of that LP posted earlier and also ran into the problem where I couldn't reliably draw anything. It also has trouble running on later Windows OSes iirc.

I wonder if after they finish remaking Pathologic they'll ever revisit The Void.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 13, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way if you have it and didn't notice, Halcyon 6 updated with a "lightspeed edition" that overhauls the game. It cuts the grind in half and adds a bunch of stuff apparently (I only played the original for a few hours). It's free if you own H6 already.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My only real platforming problem with Doom is that I'd get so wrapped up in ripping and tearing I wouldn't notice I was ripping my way off a cliff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a few years old at this point but if anyone wants a good co-op game Gauntlet: Slayer Edition's pretty good fun. Especially when you dick everyone over and shoot the god damned food.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Borderlands 2 was a lot of fun the first time through NG+, then the DLCs turned it into a garbage show. Especially as the dual-wielding dude because surprise you can't kill any of the snipers now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finally, another good Sonic game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barry Convex posted:

oh, hey, someone put an MLP diaper pedophile game on Steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH2VcyIlqiQ

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OneDeadman posted:

Symphonia is fine. It's a bit dated mechanically, but it's still a fun game to play.

The plot's loving terrible though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ymgve posted:

Are the Dead Rising 1 psychopaths supposed to be garbage bullet sponges? Especially that motorcycle chick - only way I could kill her was by cheesing geometry and shooting her after climbing on poo poo.

I played DR: Remastered when it came out and forgot how loving obnoxious that boss fight is when you can't just grab the real mega buster to deal with it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xander77 posted:

The leap from "why would you need more than 20 save slots" to "why would you need more than 1 save" isn't really that great.

Having nineteen backups versus having zero is pretty different.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 20, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is on the 360, but either Fable Anniversary just sucks or Fable 1 really doesn't hold up anymore. I know the remastered graphics suck, but the load times are pretty bad too (and loading is every thirty seconds, these are short zones). I know the Steam version has an additional tweaked difficulty mode but it's sort of just boring now, too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just use my luggage combination.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is ESO worth ten bucks if you're a fan of the series or not really?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cool, I'll pick it up!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Malloc Voidstar posted:

The Ep3 NDA supposedly ran from 2007-2017, so this year is the first year he could legally post it.

There's something hilarious about how the ending is "you lose" followed by "the resistance might still be going on, who cares" and nothing getting answered.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lyrai posted:

Actual content: http://store.steampowered.com/app/434460/Rock_of_Ages_2_Bigger__Boulder/
Is Rock of Ages 2 any fun for someone who played Rock of Ages 1 for a few hours, kind of liked it, but didn't feel like there was any reason to stick around?

I liked Rock of Ages but I really want a game mode where you just be the boulder. Putting defenses down wasn't that interesting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For anyone who kickstarted it, it looks like the remake of Pathologic is now just going to be Pathologic 2, and come out in 2018. Pathologic HD is on Steam as its own thing, along with the demo they released earlier.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

QuarkJets posted:

Infinite's ending was dog poo poo. It felt like it was written by someone who thought they had a grasp of what "infinity" means but really, really didn't.

It was amazing just how poorly the devs and writers understood the concepts they were exploring.

quote:

now there's a good game. im gonna cum

The original was so good but I don't know where I'm going to find the time to play OS2.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 5, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really expected to love Hollow Knight but just found it kind of boring instead. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really want to grab OS2 but XCOM 2 and Destiny 2 have devoured my time.

OS1 is one of the best RPGs I've ever played though, but I don't think I'd ever replay it due to its length.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Digirat posted:

Don't forget kirby air ride, a very underappreciated racesim

Kirby Air Ride was great. I got an insane amount of time out of that game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I might as well bring it up here as the general pc thread but man Cuphead is looking incredibly boring to play.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Imagined posted:

I heard Lawbreakers is having a free weekend and I'm mystified that it's not already F2P.

It feels like if you're not Activision/Blizzard or EA, if you're making a multiplayer-only FPS it's practically suicide to not go F2P nowadays, aside from a few extremely rare exceptions like Destiny and PUBG.

Did anyone think that Lawbreakers WASN'T going to be dead on arrival?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's October so I guess I'm going to replay the FEAR series again and jumpkick spooky ghosts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DatonKallandor posted:

Nioh is fantastic and if the port is decent it's a must have for character action players. It's like Dark Souls with most of the jank removed.

It's not much like Dark Souls at all.

quote:

Dark Souls and Two Worlds created the word jank.

Ahhhhhh, taint!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought Hollow Knight was boring tbh. It is pretty though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Seventh Arrow posted:

What's the best Fallout game to play a melee character? Not a sneaky one, though...I'm thinking more of a run-and-punch/bludgeon type character.

New Vegas has the most punch options but Fallout 4 has the most broken melee perks, especially if you abuse VATS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

Wow that must have super flopped.

There were layoffs at Volition due to it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tippis posted:

Or Talisman — it's like a clicker game, but with less interaction and player agency. :D

(But seriously, though. Twilight Struggle is brilliant, in both digital and physical form whereas Talisman is… neither.)

Talisman is hilarious explicitly because nothing you do matters. It's the dumbest bullshit all about how anything you try will fail and while everyone's falling over themselves somebody will inevitably win by doing nothing and I love it. It sounds like it should be absolutely miserable but for some reason I just bust up laughing every time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tippis posted:

The one major flaw with the digital edition is that you can't set the number of (human) players to zero. It would be perfect if it weren't for having to actually play it.

The one time I did something that mattered it was to move the grim reaper to the player in the lead, who killed him due to a bad roll (he got to re-roll and rolled the same thing lmao). We all shouted at him to get back in the bucket with the rest of the crabs.

We didn't finish playing that game. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kibayasu posted:

All the DLC's have something to offer above the rest.

Dead Money has the best characters, atmosphere, and narrative.

Honest Hearts has the best... potential. That sounds like a bad thing but my biggest complaint with Honest Hearts is that its over before you know it. Honest Hearts feels like a concept and location that could be expanded into an entire game. Multiple tribes, a location like Zion could have endless snaking canyons/caves/cliff trails, isolated pockets of vegetation/animals/people. Talking with Joshua Graham was really good too.

Old World Blues' strength is obviously is humour and Fallout is the perfect setting for some classic Mad Science.

Lonesome Road is harder to quantify because it biggest strength depends on how attached you are to playing as a character in Fallout. If you go through New Vegas thinking "What would I do here?" instead of "What would the character I'm playing do here?" then its probably not going to impact you much because the dialogue with Ulysses is just going to sound like philosophical nonsense. As the name implies its a (mostly) linear path which sounds bad but it did also let Obsidian create some of the most unique ruined cityscapes New Vegas had.

Lonesome Road really needed a dialogue option where you explain to Ulysses what couriers actually are.