Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

WTF.
https://fineleatherjackets.net/monkeyinflation

I'd also link the "Free Games (that used to be not free) thread in the OP, just because the Steam thread is the de-facto "gaming in general" thread atm.

More Far Cry: Brotherhood impressions.

I deeply, genuinely, sincerely utterly hate the save system in this game.

There's a mission in the game that sends you to Shangri-La. First, you have to climb up to a house at the top of a mountain (none of the nearby spawning locations have a gyrocopter, so either fly there from far away, or slowly climb).

Then you have to make your way from the house to an island more or less nearby (2-3 minutes). Then you have to kill the guards and climb around some more inside a cave. Then you access Shangri-La, and have like 10 minutes of cutscenes before you get to play.

As I was playing the game specifically noted that it was making a checkpoint IN Shangri-La. Regardless, I also saved manually before quitting.

When I came back to the game, it dropped me outside the cave that would lead me to Shangri-La(!). I was in no mood to go back to it through 10 minutes of cutscenes, so I decided to loot some items nearby. Even though I was allowed to wander around while I was heading towards the cave, now that I actually gazed upon it, I wasn't allowed to stray - the game smacked me on the hose failed the mission, and respawned me right back at the cave entrance.

Fair enough, I just quit the loving mission. Wandered around the island for a bit, looted everything worth looting, then headed back to the cave. "Oh, you're gonna play it like that", said the game. "Well, you don't get to access Shangri-La by just waltzing up to the cave that contains the entrance, gently caress you very much. It's blocked until you start the mission properly. Go back to the house in the mountains, THEN go back to the cave, then go through Shangri-La, and never even DREAM about quitting the game when you haven't completed the mission."

Eat my poo poo, Ubisoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

What is Far Cry Brotherhood? Google turns up nothing by that name.
It's the new cool word for Far Cry 4, which is totally going to catch on any day now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

People who played through Far Cry 4: Do you get anything out of seeking out and completing all the Shangri La sequences?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Far Cry 4 Brotherhood (I'm still trying to make that happen):

I just played through a mission from Longinus that sent me into the Himalayas (a separate location you teleport to by E-ing a Sherpa).

Even though it was marked with an L on the map, it apparently didn't count for "seek and complete 1 Longinus mission (marked with an L) to be eligible for this upgrade".

The moment it was finished, three more missions popped up within walking distance.

The first one was from Hurk. It was about stealing a monkey idol... in the Himalayas.

And the next mission was about stealing a Blood Ruby from a mine... in the Himalayas. And was hard as gently caress, and probably intended to be completed later in the game.

One chance to guess where the final new mission wanted me to go.

The game loves to constrict what you can and can't do any time there's a mission happening, but it completely fails to suggest a reasonable mission / free roam progression. I know people hate tutorials, but introducing a new activity every few missions would have made sense.

Also, AJ is amazingly goddamned stupid and personality free.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tippis posted:

You get something very special that no Far Cry after FC1 provides: a boss fight.

I suppose the other Kalinag-inspired fight is also a boss fight of sorts, but that's still the same game so it doesn't count against that.
You're forgetting about all those awesome boss fights FC3 had. Like the guy you fight after he stabs you, and the utterly nondescript big bad business boss, and the giant evil demon, and the Australian rapist...

They kind of broke the pattern with that one though, because I'm pretty sure it wasn't a hallucination.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tippis posted:

Also, I think you get a fuckton of Karma, which is useless since the AI companions you'd use it for are in every way less capable than your average wolf, tiger, badger or elephant.
Hey, karma also gives you shop discounts! Because if there's one game that's really stingy with money, it's Far Cry Brotherhood.

The least they could have done with AI companions is given them different weapons. If the upgraded GP dude rocked a sniper rifle / grenade launcher, rather than the same lovely AK, he probably would have done some damage, if only by accident.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Rookersh posted:

It cuts all the fat off around the edges of Far Cry and just refines the good stuff. It's no GOTY epic tale or anything, but if you just want to play Far Cry and conquer outposts and murder dudes it's probably the best of the 3.
B-but... you still get to climb caveman towers to light beacons or something, right? I can no longer imagine a proper FC experience without that very important and rewarding activity.

Anyone who actually played through FC:B - how the hell do I stealth outposts with hunters in them? There are always two of them covering each other, they spot me the moment I try to stealth or if I kill anyone (particularly the other hunter), they charm any animal I try to send in, and they fade from the radar and pop up behind me the moment I try to stealth-murder the places where they are not (I swear those fuckers have super hearing or something)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 29, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jamfrost posted:

A very confusing one.
It's the same game in a slightly different setting with basic quality of life improvements. It's quite possibly the most blatant Ubisoft ever was about recycling.

It came up several times on the first pages of the FC4 (happy?) thread, and stuck with me enough that I recalled it the moment I started playing.

Edit - No one is particularly confused when I refer to "rear end Creed".

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 29, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I wanted to link the RPS review, but it was removed from youtube due to nudity.

I got an 80% off coupon for Pressure Overdrive, which seems pretty fun. Someone take it, please?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 2, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

FC4, probably, because that's a thing that happens there. Often. (Well, it does, assuming you quit the game)

I generally wouldn't ask for help in this thread, but whatever - a whole bunch of people used to ask for help with hexcells, so let's jump of this bridge.

How the hell am I supposed to get to this question mark? Too high for a buzzer, and I can't seem to get to any high spots around / near it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Once again, gently caress you, Ubisoft. LET PEOPLE SAVE IN YOUR loving GAMES.

I just crashed near the end of a long mission. Oh, that means I left the game while playing through the mission, and will need to restart it.

Eat shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, Ubisoft designers.

Edit - why the gently caress do I have the usual mission control radio, but have to drive to the middle of nowhere in order to the instructions to start a mission on the other side of the map?

Editx2: Holy poo poo, I will NEVER be able to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC5f-ChLiA0WiFnyx78miTOw?videos

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 31, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Hav posted:

If that's where I think it is, look for a series of ledges that lead around there from the place further up.
Got it. A zipline there also led me to that journal across the river. My mistake was searching for a way up from the west.

Also, for the first time while playing this game, I felt like a true pro gamer. Took on a propaganda center, messily butchered the defenders, mined the whole place, threw a bunch of C4 packs, blew them all at once, grenaded a helicopter, and took out those soldiers who survived the mines with a rocket launcher, while on a zip line. Not really "put this on youtube" quality, but impressive enough, given my meager skill level.

Earlier, I tried to do a takedown from above on a flamethrower guy, went gliding with my suit because I keep thinking it's the sprint button, was lit on fire as I passed him and crashed into a tree.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 31, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tippis posted:

If you ignore all the story stuff and the standard Ubi sandbox collectathon, FC4 is a pretty good game.
I like both of these. Liked them in FC3 as well.

I'd like it more if AJ had a personality to speak of, and it the story wasn't so sparse compared to all the other activities, but still.

Edit - I'd really appreciate the collectathon if I could get my hands on a "spawn a gyrocopter on the spot" mod.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 31, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Really Pants posted:

If you like Trails in the Sky or anime bullshit in general the first Trails of Cold Steel should be coming to Steam tomorrow, with major graphics upgrades and more than 5,000 extra voiced lines compared to the original PS versions.
How does it compared to either of the first two TitS / Valkyrie Chronicles?

I just started playing the third TitS entry, and then just... felt like playing literally anything else, instead of slogging through another hour-long cutscene of wacky hi-jinks so my tolerance might be fairly low.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

I can't think of any door that's entirely just wacky hijinx.
The first door. AKA the only one I opened before "yeah, I'd honestly rather be playing / writing a guide for a 20 year old RPG".

I'm seriously loving Betrayal at Krondor's open world design, by the way. Yeah, it has some shortcomings. It looks like poo poo - not even "by today's standards", it came out looking like poo poo, with a horrible 3d world, and ludicrous actors in ren-faire costumes. It's slow. It has no quest markers, and you have to write down everything you're told, as there isn't even a quest journal.

But it allows you to get out there into the wide open world, and do whatever. You want to wander in the entirely wrong direction, and get to the chapter 1 goal by going around the map? You'll get your poo poo pushed in, but you're free to do so.

Particularly dangerous enemies don't have a big skull icon above them - you'll just know that they're dangerous by the number of enemies you see, and by the way they kick your rear end when you first try to fight them. And you don't arbitrarily do scratch damage against them just because they're "too high level for you" - get enough buffs going and spell things up so that you get the first strike, and you still have a chance.

You can find a shop that sells the third best weapon in the game right next to where you first start. Do you want to grind long and hard enough to get it? It's entirely possible, and nothing will tell you "wait for level 30 before you're allowed to use this weapon". I managed to have my entire party clad in the second best armor and wielding the third best weapons (all blessed with the strongest bless type) before the end of chapter 1. The game didn't give a poo poo - it knew it had more than enough surprises in store for me.

The Witcher 3 should be getting levels in enemy encounter design and loot systems from a game that came out in the 90's, is what I'm saying.

Terminally Bored posted:

Don't you have a tower to climb somewhere
I just gyro-coptered onto 90% of the towers in the game, once I figured how to do that. Primal apparently doesn't have any towers. Too bad, so sad.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 2, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Really Pants posted:

Assassin's Creed is waaay more anime
It will be if you ever get to assassinate Juno with the power of friendship.

Kneeing the Pope in the balls isn't nearly anime enough, even when he does a Sayan powerup.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Do we have a mostly dead "co-op with goons" thread hanging around somewhere? If not, is it worth creating one? Goons are notorious for being absolutely fantastic partners in co-op and multiplayer, after all.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I think the discord server has more or less replaced that.
Was ist das, and where do you find it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I started with Rome: TW, and must have invested hundreds of actual hours into it over the years.

But then I bounced off every single TW since. :(

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, okay. I apparently own Rome: Total War, so I'll install it and give it a shot. I also have the Warhammer one, but that's like, 20+ gigs and I'm not yet sure if I want to install that much for a game I probably won't dig. Maybe Rome will change my mine!
Start with the Julii, both the short tutorial campaign and the first "proper" campaign. They have the best balance of difficulty for a first playthrough.

And remember - the AI is really bad at handling a good defensive position, but you won't really master the game until you learn how to charge, flank, and roll a superior army piecemeal.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

i cleared a game of shogun 2, but that realm divide... was it the first total war game to do that? 'cause that poo poo is nasty.
Civil war in Rome 1.

I bought Wolfenstein: The Old Blood from WinGameStore in the 24th. Signed in with facebook, paid with paypal. Apparently paypal was a bit slow on processing the payment, only sending me the receipt on the 25th.

After the purchase was stuck in "processing" for a week or so, I've emailed their support. Still not reply, the purchase is still being processed.

Don't buy anything on that store.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

Dunno man, PayPal has also been a steaming dumpster fire for years. I have like...6 or 7 credit/debit card that have expired over the last 10 years and yet I can't remove any of them because I have "pending payments". I haven't bought/sold/whatever anything through PayPal in maybe a year and a half. It's loving bonkers how bad PayPal is.
I bought a bunch of games codes over the years, never had a problem with paypal. Never mind that as far as paypal knows, the payment was authorized without any problems.

Also, a week is more than long enough for a support person to get back to me with "paypal hosed something up on its end".

So I'm pretty sure that the store is poo poo.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Morter posted:

I don't know why you did (Not saying you shouldn't have, just saying I dunno what would make one/the benefit of it)
I'd rather tap the "sign in via facebook" button than create a new registration that I'll have to remember later.

Edit: Just checked back.

quote:

Adjust Order #1255711

Failure:
Paypal Proof of Payment

In order to process your order, WinGameStore is requesting additional security information to verify ownership of the PayPal account used to place the order.

Please take a scan or photo of a government issued ID and upload it using the link provided.
Oh gently caress you. Not even "paypal failed to pay" - it paid promptly and on time.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 6, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Once you have them, start building a few units of Equities/Velities.
I never really found a use for Velites. (Or any of the javelins troops) They're so low-range and do so little damage even when flanking that another unit of proper infantry always seems like a better investment.

Equites are also a bit meh, fleeing whenever anyone looks at them funny. You need a few to run down fleeing enemy units / isolated ranged troops, but no more than that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Also both are useful for campaign movement speed. Your army composition determines your speed on the world map, so if you build nothing but legions, you'll move super slow. Even a few units of both can give you almost double the campaign movement speed.
90% sure it's the slowest unit in your army, not the average speed of all the units.

(Easily measured by adding one catapult to a large army, then separating said catapult from the army and seeing that the catapult moves at the same speed)

Rookersh posted:

Settlement fights for the Romans mainly, which you do a lot of as Julii. Getting attacked by ranged units does absurd morale damage in Rome 1, so it's an easy way to turn a chokepoint into a morale spiral deathtrap without losing as many fights. It's also a really good way to help break poo poo like Greek States/Seleucid lines because of the free morale damage.

Equities are important for running down fleeing units in open battles and flanking behind the enemy since the again, huge morale debuff for the enemy when you do that. Also they upgrade into some really powerful units.
Yeah, but default Roman units have missile weapons, far more powerful than Velites.

Also, you don't "upgrade" units in Rome 1. Any Equites you recruit will remain Equites even when you have the option to recruit actual heavy cav.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 6, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Bundle stars summer sale is live.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

HGH posted:

Quoting this from the RPG thread because I know I've seen complaints about how slow the Trails games are here a whole bunch.
k. How?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah for some reason it never grabbed me back in the day. It was fine enough to play through now I guess even if I think the end boss rush is a pile of horse poo poo.
For some stupid reason, I decided to go for the best ending on my first playthrough.

That was a very poorly thought out idea.

Mind, it was one of the few platformers / metrovidanias that I played almost all the way through, so I guess it's pretty good regardless.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

kater posted:

How far from the end of AC4 am I if I've just completed the drunk sequence? I thought I was at the end of the game and... then that happened. Stopped playing for two weeks and when I went back to it the next mission is a boring tailing one and I quickly stopped playing again. Am I close enough to the end to just get there quickly?
Be more specific?

Meanwhile, I'm trying to create a steam guide for another random old game, and it keeps failing to upload. Refreshing just fails the creation again, going back and trying to resubmit gives me a "That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author." message.

The only threads I found that even mention failing to submit content refer to Shadowrun UGC and very large files.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 8, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

The only thing I know about enslaved is in the post mortem for the game, there was a writer asking why the hell the lead character was such an rear end in a top hat and the designers being surprised because they thought kicking slaves to death was him being a badass.
Link please.

Also, is Cargo the latest game from the Pathalogic people? Seems... appropriate.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

Bit of a random question, but can anyone who has Sorcery! 1 & 2 installed at the moment tell me if it also gives your CPU a bit of a workout?
I don't have it installed atm, but I played a LOT of Sorcery, and it never gave me trouble. The worst was a bit of stuttering during pans across the 3d map in Sorcery 4.

This makes me want to replay Deus Ex. Again.
http://www.speedrun.com/run/z1315dgm

How many games have the systems in place to let you get through the game without ever using a single inventory item / weapon / skill?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 12, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

New Vegas had a bunch of invisible walls on basic hills within the gameworld, because they placed strong enemies in certain places and, left unrestricted, would saunter off and kill everything in the area. I think that's what ropekid said when asked about them.
When I asked he said something about... the engine being unable to handle drawing too much of the world at once when you stand on top of a tall place, I think?

Anyways, you can use a mod that removes most of these walls with no ill effects.

In more urgent news - I think this thread once featured the way to move steam guard from one device to another without disabling it and your ability to trade. Anyone remember how that worked?

Drifter posted:

lol equating any sort of physicality to playing videogames. A better comparison would be playing a round of Simon Says/that Twist it Bop It toy or some silly bullshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKIiUsbOO24

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

This is probably what they had intended to release in the first place until Sony shoved them out the door before the game was ready.
I'm pretty sure every single post you made about NMS was "yeah, the game is fine, I don't know why anyone is complaining".

Turning that around to "yeah, the game is fine NOW" is a bit...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you're playing Pillars, just turn the difficulty down. There's not much really enjoyable about the combat. The writing varies depending on who's being written. Some are great, others are forgettable to bad.
Someday (when I actually get a character / companion min-maxing guide, instead of a bunch of howler monkeys shrieking "just play whatever, she'll be right"), I'm going to go back to Pillars and at least make it into the first town.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Have you considered the possibility of the howler monkeys being... right?
Given that it took me like a minute to kill each wood beetle, no.

It's been a month, and WinGameStore actually processed my purchase. The key was apparently to send them an email with a profane rant about how poo poo they are.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 15, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

I finished the Sorcery! series just now and it was supremely excellent up to the middle point of the 4th part, when it nosedived into a frankly infuriating loop of tedious repetition and trudging through the same encounters over and over again trying to find whatever needles you missed in the metaphorical haystack. I actually thought not having the rewind feature would be fun and good, especially since I rarely used it throughout the series to improve outcomes, opting to roll with whatever consequences my actions had. But it turned out to be a huge weight on the game's design in my opinion and it's such a shame. The game world is already less interesting than the second or third parts, and the way to make progress more opaque, so having to continually go through the same bits repeatedly just made it ten times worse.

Still, as a whole the series is excellent... just be wary of that fourth part, I guess.
Kiiiiiiiiinda what I thought.

If you don't rewind your encounter with Libra, you can get into the inner city, buy all the crap at the bazaar, meet Libra, and have a save / rewind point for when you're actually in danger of dying. Doesn't necessarily make the towers of magic any better, but still.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jamfrost posted:

I don't understand "aleatoric," even after looking up the definition. Can I just sub unpredictable with it?
Randomly generated.

Rogulike dark souls influenced early access MOBA microntransactions.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Finished the main campaign for Far Cry 4, going through the DLC. (Still could use a co-op person btw).

Anyways - "Valley of the Yetis" has the hero crash into... the titular yetis, obviously. And their valley. It's a frozen mountainscape populated entirely by cultists and monsters.

So I go through the starting mission (naturally enough, it's an hour-long mission that crashes at the very end and I'm forced to restart the whole thing).

I'm out and about in the valley, dodging yetis and shooting insane soldiers... when a Sherpa (travelling merchant) just strolls on by, and my only interaction prompt is "buy some poo poo?"

I know AJ is a sociopathic murderous retard who is befret of personality or curiousity, but how the gently caress do you include a non-hostile person and completely ignore the obvious "what the gently caress is going on here? How do I get out of this valley? What are you even doing here?" questions?

(A while later, I'm apparently telepathically informed that a farmer wants me to defend his Yak herd from some leopards. I never actually get to interact with the farmer in any form, I just know)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 17, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

that's fine because no one sane is hitting their friend limit anyways. nobody actually knows or regularly plays with that many people.

I have 65 friends and my friends list already feels a bit bloated to me, I don't really know almost half these people.
I hit the limit after trading for a while + the first time I gifted goons on my birthday. Started regularly purging my friends list after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Have you ever actually loaded a save from 20+ saves ago?
This kind of logic is how we end up with Ubisoft / modern AAA gaming's "nah, we'll just handle your saves for you. If you want to go back to a specific moment, just replay the whole game".