Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Xander77 posted:

Far Cry 4 Brotherhood (I'm still trying to make that happen):

I just played through a mission from Longinus that sent me into the Himalayas (a separate location you teleport to by E-ing a Sherpa).

Even though it was marked with an L on the map, it apparently didn't count for "seek and complete 1 Longinus mission (marked with an L) to be eligible for this upgrade".

The moment it was finished, three more missions popped up within walking distance.

The first one was from Hurk. It was about stealing a monkey idol... in the Himalayas.

And the next mission was about stealing a Blood Ruby from a mine... in the Himalayas. And was hard as gently caress, and probably intended to be completed later in the game.

One chance to guess where the final new mission wanted me to go.

The game loves to constrict what you can and can't do any time there's a mission happening, but it completely fails to suggest a reasonable mission / free roam progression. I know people hate tutorials, but introducing a new activity every few missions would have made sense.

Also, AJ is amazingly goddamned stupid and personality free.

Pretty sure that upgrade is locked behind doing 2 Longinus missions (you can always double-check using the progression screen); the game's smart enough to tick the number down. The blob of Himalaya missions in that area are all DLC, hence the quick and dirty placement and weird difficulty spike.

Not sure what you mean about the mission stuff. There's probably some exceptions to it but generally if you walk into a building and talk to someone via cutscene, you're locked into the mission and should probably go do it. Otherwise you can run around doing whatever with zero restriction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Some other interesting stuff that popped up today:

Top-down brawler/shooter Redeemer. Looks like it could be fun.

And Hob, an action adventure game from Runic. Which I'm sure mentioning won't bring up the same tired argument about whether or not Torchlight 2 is good. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ulio posted:

So the saints row humble bundle looks pretty meh apart from risen 3 but they added the entire Sacred Franchise. Are those any good? I remember hearing good things about the first two.

According to the description it doesn't actually include Sacred 1 because ??? Though earlier today I'm pretty sure it didn't even list Sacred 3 in there so who knows.

Edit: It's mimicking the franchise bundle on Steam, which doesn't include the first game either because apparently Strategy First still has the distribution rights to it.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 2, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kragger99 posted:

Is the single player fun? I've never played them, so I'm not sure if they are MP only.

I'm not sure what the MP situation even is for SWAT 4 anymore because GameSpy, but it has a hefty chunk of SP content with two campaigns (original + expansion) to work through. It's definitely fun, but can sometimes get a bit fiddly due to the technical aspects of the game. Sometimes the hidden math decides a suspect won't surrender even after you shove a can of tear gas down his throat and tase him in the balls, he takes a shot at your squad and down goes Reynolds, you shoot him in the head in retaliation, and then you get penalized for using lethal force and also for not picking up the gun he dropped which physicsed its way into a dark corner somewhere.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Eh, underneath the art design Bioshock 1 has some pretty muddy UE3-ness going on. I could see the value in polishing that up to make the game look even better on modern machines. It just sounds like they failed to actually accomplish that, at least not without loving everything up in the process.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Im_Special posted:

So hows Killing Floor 2, worth getting if I didn't find KF1 all that great? Are they going to milk it with future DLC?

It's more polished and pretty than KF1, thanks to time spent on animations and the gore system. A lot of mechanical stuff is more surfaced and in the case of the melee class you can actually actively block and carry your swing ala Chivalry now instead of taping down the attack button and face-tanking everything. Classes now have an A/B skill tree to make (non-permanent) choices in every five levels instead of everything just being incremental stat boosts. Difficulty scales up by adding more mechanics and more dangerous enemy variants instead of just cranking up the spawn numbers and HP on everything. Instead of taking the loads of DLC route, they're going the Steam Market way this time - lots of random cosmetic drops, crates and keys, etc. All of the actual gameplay updates have been free so far.

With that said, it's still the same basic horde shooter at its core, so if the fundamental gameplay loop didn't appeal to you 2 isn't going to change your mind.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jamfrost posted:

Cave Story + is

A fun action platformer, but not a Metroidvania. :colbert:

Metroid Fusion is a Metroidvania, but a terrible one. Double :colbert:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yodzilla posted:

and better menus

Oh, did they finally fix the UI stuff? Everything else makes it look like it might be worth picking up at some point but if inventory is still awful to use then no sale.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It also got a re-release on consoles that fixed the combat, so there's that I guess.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BirdOfPlay posted:

I played it a little ages ago but had issues with the "draw to use spells" mechanic. The drawings were fairly simple, but I couldn't get them to register right. I ended up putting it down in short order because of that.

Yeah and fumbling the inputs means you end up wasting a shitload of color and probably put yourself into a dead man walking state within the first five minutes of the dang game.

Pretty sure there are still patches kicking around that reduce the overall difficulty, but I think I'll stick with watching the LP.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I burned through Victor Vran and ultimately came out the other side a bit disappointed. Not enough content and the core mechanics are novel but ultimately didn't feel fleshed out enough, IMO.

So against all sense I decided to go back to an old, forgotten friend: Borderlands. As in, the first game.

And...I'm having a load of fun??? While I never hated the game, I remember the early parts being a huge slog, with every single boss fight being a time-consuming clusterfuck, but I've only encountered one significantly bullet-spongey encounter thusfar. Since I only ever played in co-op up until now, I'm led to conclude that the co-op difficulty scaling is probably busted beyond all belief. The fact that you also have to choose between doing quests in order of difficulty and be fairly challenged or do them in order of convenience and get your teeth kicked in probably doesn't help either.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Captain Foo posted:

what

You're the only person I've ever heard day borderlands is better solo, and I've played a lot of it both solo and co-op

I'm not necessarily saying solo is strictly better, but co-op seems to introduce a lot of compounding elements that make parts of the game way more of a pain than they should've been.

Admittedly, in the case of BL1 especially, back in the day me and my co-op partners were not aware of the finer details of how guns worked because the game does a poo poo job at explaining things. So imagine thinking that, for instance, lightning weapons are functionally useless if you're not shooting at something with a shield, sticking with 1-2 weapon types per person due to weapon XP and classes suggesting you do so, and being forced to split the drop pool four ways regardless.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Do note, Dear Esther is the progenitor of the genre, so there is some jankiness before the Stanley Parable and Gone Home guys came along and perfected it. It has some issues, mainly with a lot of bullshit "well why can't I step over this knee-length thing" and "why do I walk so slow" but it is still just fantastic and haunting and does some stuff to increase replayability.

There's also something to be said for Dear Esther being more of a mood piece rather than a full narrative experience.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Captain Foo posted:

yeah that's one of the huge flaws of BL1 I have to admit, is the weapon XP system that really, really wants you to pick a weapon type. Good news, though, that means you're never competing for weapon drops.

Shock weapons are worthless except at one specific point in the game, explosive weapons are basically always worthless. Raw Damage is best, followed by fire and then chem, unless you're in one specific area and then you definitely need chem unless you've got a super-powered damage gun and even then you probably want chem.

The problem is that divvying up loot by weapon type is a terrible way to do it because the game has a bad tendency to go streaky with chests. I distinctly recall entire sessions where every chest was sniper rifles and shotguns, leaving my character in the dust. It also restricts your ammo pool.

Shock and explosive weapons are perfectly fine and have their place, it's just that due to questionable design fire and corrosive are never not useful. Due to luck of the drop, my best guns for a good chunk of the early game were a lightning SMG and a x4 explosive revolver. More to the point, figuring out the best gun for raw damage is difficult if you don't understand how elemental procs work. Though currently I'm at the point where I've overtaken the leveling curve so I can usually just Rambo everything with a good plain SMG (and the game hasn't started dropping the really game-breakingly good fire and acid stuff yet).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ikari Worrier posted:

And horrible freshman year creative writing.

For the record I genuinely love the genre as a whole and would rank Gone Home as one of my favorite games of all time, but I bounced off Dear Esther HARD. I can't deny that it's a pretty game but having Discount Liam Neeson narrate a crummy story whose twist is guessable 10 minutes in while you're forced to walk at a snail's pace between the 800 invisible walls is not my idea of a good time.

I am both often thick and haven't played it in years, so... Dear Esther has a twist? :confused:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cowcaster posted:

susie sumner isn't supposed to have arms and legs 0/10 fan art

ヽ( '▽ ')ノ

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also unlike some other games that have lots of secrets locked behind a single ability (think the doors you have to open with electrobolt in Bioshock or several of the alternate paths and secrets in Deus Ex Human Revolution), just judging from what I've read you have a pretty good mix of options for dealing with obstacles in Prey, so you're even less likely to spec your skills incorrectly.

For instance, extra lifting strength isn't the only possible way to get large objects out of your way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Phone posting but

http://store.steampowered.com/app/650810/IMPERATUM__A_Scifi_Diablolike_ARPG/

"Pro Social and Health Mechanics - Being a gamer in 2017 is hard. There are so many good games and so little time it can be hard to pull yourself away. We feel that as developers it is part of our ethical duty to encourage gamers to make healthy choices. To that end we have been implementing and testing systems within the game to encourage players to make healthy choices. Let us know what you think!"

Gotta give an ARPG some credit for not going with the whole "sooooo addictive!!!" schtick.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Holy poo poo.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So I ended up continuing my descent into Borderlands madness by following the first game with the Pre-Sequel, because I've played entirely too much of 2 already so better to give that a little more time.

I uh, was not expecting the Claptrap DLC to be incredibly sad and depressing. :smith: And that's after the main game itself was really drat dark.

It's going to be really weird going back to the early parts of 2 where it's jokey jokes and dumb goofy bullshit.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 28, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean, other companies are already slipping this kind of stuff in. Paradox and Colossal Order have "Content Creator" asset packs built by modders and sold at a premium for Cities: Skylines. Though so far they've only produced two of those versus what is sure to be an unending flow of fresh game slurry for diehard crazies to buy up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rookersh posted:

There's a difference I think.
:confused: The Cities: Skylines stuff is basically 1:1 the same situation. The asset packs are literally just a limited number of mildly fancy building skins for a fiver, and just like Bethesda games the workshop is packed full of the exact same type of stuff for free.

And in theory the whole point of this new scheme premium mod strategy is that they're doing exactly what you're suggesting, partnering with professionals and talented mod makers to monetize the good stuff, instead of letting literally anyone on Steam slap a price tag on their horse vaginas. Which isn't particularly far off from Valve's long running exploitation of talent to fill the TF2 store anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if they hold back on more substantial content until they see the adoption numbers they want to justify the cost of additional QA time on full-fledged mods. Until then, dress-em-ups.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 29, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What if an early access survival game was also an esport?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What's supposed to be the problem with Denuvo again? I feel like every time the grouching rears back up the only answers are based on hearsay and rumors from years-old Reddit posts.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Another classic piracy-outer was when pirated copies of Garry's Mod would crash with a particular error message followed by a seemingly random string. Except that string was actually their SteamID, so when they complained on the forums they set themselves up for a laser targeted ban.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

IronicDongz posted:

like 90% of the people I know who say that still don't actually buy games whether they like them or not

The fun part is suggesting that there's a third option beyond either buying or pirating a game and having them treat you like you're insane.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sininu posted:

turning off v-sync outside of the game (ingame v-sync is borked to the max) but they didn't help.
Ended up uninstalling it. :(

Dunno if you just mistyped but it's the other way around. Turn in-game v-sync off, then enable it outside of the game via the GPU control panel.

Only other thing I could dig up was to set the game to high priority in the control panel.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wouldn't say this month's bundle is terrible, but it's definitely not as impressive as they've otherwise been lately. I'm worried for next month too. Rise of the Tomb Raider has been pretty cheap on the regular.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Unbalanced posted:

The rest of next month's bundle could be Indiegala tier crap and you'd still be getting Rise for cheaper than it's ever been on sale. Not sure what there is to worry about.

sauer kraut posted:

Just the base game

That's exactly what I was concerned about. I remember getting the complete package for Rise for $20~ so just the base game for 12 is nowhere near as amazing as it might sound.

Maybe I'm just biased though because I also didn't think Rise was actually that great.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
People probably stuck with only two weapons because most of them are mediocre or awkward Vox/Founders sidegrades, and the weapon upgrade system means you get more benefit out of doing so. Weapon upgrading, like the other legacy mechanics (garbage cake), should've been ejected and the game would've been better off for it.

Though I never thought the combat was bad, I was always just sour that I paid for a Bioshock game and I got something almost completely different.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

GreatGreen posted:

Borderlands 2 started out being a very good game. It was really pretty and the gunplay/exploration was fun.

It was Borderlands 2's endgame that was absolute poo poo.

First of all, to complete any character build, you had to play the 60-hour campaign at least 3 times. But, it didn't matter because by the time you got there, even with an optimally min-maxed build, literally every enemy you fought was the worst kind of bullet sponge that took at least 3 full clips of ammo to kill no matter what gun you were using. Oh, and you die in 1-3 hits. Not bursts, hits.

Borderlands 2 is the best example of the developers obviously not playtesting an endgame I can think of.

For a moment I thought "aha, somebody else who agrees about the endgame" but then you were talking about the additional playthroughs which basically nobody except diehard crazies actually enjoy. I just beat the main game as part of my series replay last night and the final act's side missions are pretty bad and feel rushed.

"Completing" a build is a pretty subjective thing. For a single, casual playthrough you get more than enough points to reach one of the big capstone skills and that's perfectly good enough. If you're insane and need to have every last skill point and get yourself decked out in legendary items farmed from raid bosses, then you will certainly pray for death.

Edit: In fairness, it also depends on what class you're building for. You have to suffer through a lot of bullshit to get melee Zero to a workable point, whereas anarchy Gaige is arguably good to go with just the single point you need to unlock anarchy itself and just gets better from there.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 4, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean, they literally sell the level cap increases in DLC alongside stuff like the dumb endgame raids that all but require the extra stats. :v:

I've always laughed when, after you beat the final boss, the game has the audacity to tell you that "The real Borderlands starts HERE!" and tells you to go start playthrough 2.

Edit: It sounds like we actually play these sortsa games the exact same way. And now that I've gone back and looked at it, I done hosed up and thought you got your capstone a good six levels sooner than you actually do. Never crossed my mind since this recent playthrough has been with an anarchy build so I haven't even cared about any capstone skills.

Edit2: Oh, I see. I got confused because both BL1 and TPS have you cap off your build at 25 where it feels exactly like you want, having your power and getting to use it for the last fourth of the game. Meanwhile 2 forces you to wait.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 4, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Bioshock's combat feels about the same as Dishonored's combat (or System Shock 2's, obviously, but I wanted to use a more contemporary example). IE, made for ambush tactics and quick fights but absolutely awful if/when you're forced to stand around and just trade hits with somebody. Thankfully once you start stacking research bonuses, tonics, weapon upgrades, and ammo types you can blow pretty much anything's head off with the revolver or even the wrench. If it isn't already being hounded by security bots and turrets because you obsessively hacked everything on the map.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 4, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Guy Mann posted:

They made SWAT 4, a game defined entirely by its gunplay.

Is this supposed to be some kind of bad joke?

Also because I'm currently experiencing this, I can say one of the the worst things about Borderlands and how it scales poo poo is that they never pulled their heads out of their asses and made the DLC scale properly, even though I'm pretty sure they totally could.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also you know something has gone wrong when they outright give you a free weapon swap speed bonus as well as a bunch of tweaks to slag on higher difficulties because they want you to be slagging every single enemy forever.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 5, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hollenhammer posted:

This is why I prefer to play Pre-Seq. Also the glitch weapons are cool and so are the lasers in it

Yeah those are both good fun, and I eventually developed an appreciation for ice as well. Mainly for the hilarious things it does to airborne enemies.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I love the inherent contradiction between "this is just something temporary I slapped together" and "well, actually, according to the research and data I dug up, bi men effectively do not exist".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I loved how much TPS used linear map layouts closer to the feel of traditional FPS levels. It was a breath of fresh air compared to Gearbox's endless, endless re-use of the same basic sprawling outdoor loop with spokes design.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ledenko posted:

Slapping something together quickly and doing some quick research into it is not mutually exclusive.
I'm not saying he's right and it's possible I'm advocating for an utter shithead devil but at the time, his responses seemed rational to me and it didn't seem to me like he was pushing an agenda. I still had people I know who've never even heard of the game slam the dev because an article told them there was in fact an agenda and he hates everything.
It just seemed disproportionate :shrug:

I wasn't referring to simple quick research, I was referring to how hyper-defensive he got about it while hiding behind whatever nonsense data he was using. If he was planning on throwing out the old system anyway, why bother tripling down on how he was just following what the data said?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Quoting the BeforeIPlay wiki on this:

quote:

- Truth and doubt were originally coax and force, and a fair number of Cole's reactions make more sense (or only make sense, in a few cases) if you assume that's what they still are.