Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

:psyduck:

I've seen posts about COE4 in the roguelikes thread, I've watched some videos of it, and drat if I know what I'm looking at.

It's some Hobmark Hammerers and Hog Hussars fighting Monster Boars, and then an Earth Mother casts Earthquake, what's not to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

There should be a game mode where all hell breaks loose and you have to make difficult, unforgivable decisions about who lives and who gets sacrificed to the dinos.

This Jurassic World of Mine.

In my mind this works like a telltale game where you can choose to either save character A or attempt to save character B but they still die and character A survives by themselves but is still mad at you for not helping them instead.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I've put a lot of time into Monster Slayers lately. It's a card based game, which I'm a sucker for, and it does a lot of things just right. I've found myself thinking "just one more enemy" and going to bed an hour later than planned because of this game a couple of times.

As you start a run you have a deck with some basic cards in them. You can find more cards in treasure chests, merchants, or as rewards for leveling up. But you can't edit your deck directly. Every new card is added automatically. So with every card you have to consider not only whether it is useful now, but also whether it will be useful in the future. If you don't like the card a treasure chest gives you, you can choose to receive gold instead, which you can spend on a different card at a merchant. You can also visit a healer and choose not to heal but to have them delete a card from your deck, allowing you to filter out some chaff. As you level up your max HP grows and you get to pick a reward: delete a card, upgrade a card, add a card, increase your AP/Mana (used to play cards). The real meat of the game is not in the fights but in the manipulating your deck into a set of cards strong enough to beat the final boss with.

There's six classes unlocked initially and they each unlock a new class if you complete the game with them, for a total of twelve. They have very varied playstyles and different types of high level cards. There's the Rogue who specializes in cards that allow you to draw more cards, letting you play tons each turn and end the turn with a card that deals damage per card you already played. Just bring enough AP to be able to play them all. There's the Cleric who applies permanent DoTs to their enemy, and spends the rest of their time healing while the enemy slowly dies.

When you lose it's game over, but you earn fame that you can spend on buying upgrades that will make your next character stronger.

If you have any interest in card-based games I recommend you check it out. I got it from a cheap bundle so I'm sure it'll go on sale/into a bundle again sometime.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks for recommending this. I play a ton of deck builder tabletop games so I'm eager to dig into this. I'll post some thoughts on how it handles the mechanic later on. Have you tried the DLC and do you consider it worth grabbing as well or should I just start with the base game?
I've not played the DLC, but am considering picking it up just because I got 30 hours of fun out of the base game which I got from a cheap bundle. There's no time limited discount going on right now and there's no package deal, so why not start with the base game and see for yourself?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Orwell is a cool concept and interesting in an 'insight into the enemy's mindset" sort of way, but one of the gameplay mechanics is the concept of contradictory information that you have to look at to determine which is correct. The thing is, it almost never is actually 'contradictory', at least to my mind. For instance: one of the people you are investigating wrote a blog post about his regret and sadness at the direction a group he formed had gone. Apparently, feeling emotionally responsible for that direction is mutually exclusive with acknowledging that he and his group let themselves be consumed by anger and hatred. Quite literally, the game presents "We let ourselves be consumed by anger and hatred towards those we thought to do us wrong" and "I now see my high aims might well be the cause for all the events of the past months. More than anyone, I feel responsible" as contradictions. :psyduck:

Is that supposed to be intentional, or am I just crazy and those really are contradictory things?
It's been a while since I played this, but does the game really pose this as a 100% contradiction? It's definitely not like the (also cool) game Contradiction where you're supposed to spot the hole in the story someone tells you, it's more about how you can influence the authorities by choosing which piece of information to feed them, and the game makes this obvious to you by making the choice a special type of information where you gather all the possibilities and then choose which to use. At least in my fuzzy recollection it wasn't so much picking which bit is true as choosing which of the bits to feed to the plot.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

code:
                if (xCurrentPos - xTruePos <= 5)
                {
                    xCurrentPos -= 1;
                }
                if (xCurrentPos - xTruePos <= 10 && xCurrentPos - xTruePos > 5)
                {
                    xCurrentPos -= 2;
                }
                if (xCurrentPos - xTruePos <= 20 && xCurrentPos - xTruePos > 10)
                {
                    xCurrentPos -= 3;
                }
                if (xCurrentPos - xTruePos <= 30 && xCurrentPos - xTruePos > 20)
                {
                    xCurrentPos -= 4;
                }

You know you can do something like this:
code:
int diff = xCurrentPos - xTruePos;
xCurrentPos -= 2 + (diff - 1) / 10;
If you want some edge cases to behave a little different from that, make separate ifs for those, don't put the whole thing in a huge list of ifs. With some more adjustments like that the whole class could be reduced to at most 100 lines of code. The whole thing reads like something written by someone who taught themselves C# but never learned actual programming. Being able to program as opposed to knowing a programming language is an important skill if you want to work on a project larger than tiny. This sort of stuff is fine in your first programming assignment but it should not end up in production code.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Just thought I'd post some advice. It takes some level of commitment to be able to write that code you posted so I figured if you're serious enough about coding to learn to write that whole thing you were serious enough to be able to use the advice.

Edit:

quote:

guessed it in one i failed 102 and declined to continue my employable cs education

Okay, then my advice was useless to you, carry on.

Griefor fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 13, 2017

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
The auto-save system in Shadow Tactics is really good! I guess the developers realized that a Commandos style game would turn into a lot of save-scumming (for me it did at least), and instead of trying to prevent that somehow they embraced it and took 80% of the tedium out of it. This was the least fun part of Commandos for me so improving it like this was a great move.

Basically there are two buttons for quick save and quick load, clearly labeled F5 and F8. The save uses three rolling slots so that you can go back further if it turns out you hosed yourself on the most recent one. Quick load loads the most recent one. Additionally, after a minute of play a timer appears, indicating how long it has been since your last save.

It really allows you to focus on the fun part of save-scumming, which is trying out things to see if/how they work and creating room for failure. Praising only the quicksave system is selling this game short but for me it makes a big difference in playability.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

occamsnailfile posted:

The Endless games seem like a lot of 4Xs in that you need to pick a victory type your faction selection favors and focus towards it like a laser. You also end up needing to specialize certain cities/colonies/whatever to certain tasks like 'this one does a lot of industrial production of units' and 'this one (usually the capital) does research', which isn't to say no other cities do those things, but those have the unique buildings that stack bonuses to really pump those aspects. The game provides some tools for comparing and tracking your cities' output, but you may find your own spreadsheet beneficial. Military strategy remains important in this, but ultimately a lot of wars are won by resource superiority.

Or you can play like me on a babby difficulty to just build all the buildings you think are cool and throw big armies at the AI.

With Endless Space at least I lost a couple of times really completely by surprise--the game didn't warn me that the AI was close to a particular victory type and I was just casually paddling around what I thought was my safe space pond, I wasn't under attack, my empire was growing steadily and then boom, game over. Endless Legend worked on that and I didn't run into the same issue. I do appreciate that the games offer victory options that aren't 'conquer all the things' but that means you have to keep an eye on the AI more than I recall with Civ games, and pay attention to those warnings. I hadn't played ES2 yet.

AFAIK, all of these games allow you to turn the different victory types on and off. If you don't want the AI to get a surprise win you can turn all of those types of victory conditions off. Although I see your point that some indicator of how close each faction is to each type of victory is nice to have as well; which many of these games do have. I like that these types of games have evolved to just let the player decide for themselves when the game is over (including letting you keep playing after a victory condition has been met).

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Since we're still talking about FFT-like games and other people have been recommending non-PC games due to there being very few such games available, allow me to butt in with this:

Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment

Available on XBox Live Arcade and Playstation Network. It's shortish, I think about 8-12 hours, but that is not per se a bad thing. I had a lot of fun with it. Though 15 bucks for a short 2010 XBLA game is pretty steep, and I'm not sure if that price will come down ever. I bought it on sale in 2012 I think, probably for about $10.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Isn't Banjo Kazooie like Mario 64, but with puzzle pieces instead of stars? Or is there some other type of collectible there?

I really like the Mario 64 stars style collectible because it's a great alternative to the linear progression most games before it had. It allows you to pick and choose what level/challenge you'd like to play, expanding the options as you get further in the game and being able to skip a level to come back to later if you're stuck on it.

The type most people hate is the hide-and-seek type, where you are at 97/100 and there is zero indication of where the final 3 might be in the entire game world. Although there exist games that hand you enough tools and keep the quantity limited enough to make those not completely terrible either.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I'm so glad someone bought my proof emote, though now things can be certified with Verrit it is a bit outdated

What's it from again? I remember seeing the site it came from, but not what idiotic scheme the "proof" was for.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Kinda weird that they did it that way, isn't it a lot more effective to do $10 $0.50 during the winter sale than doing $1 $0.50 would be? Seems to me a lot of games on Steam keep their base price artificially high just so they can have big discounts which are psychologically pleasing to prospective buyers.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I think the general rule is to only buy the monthlies if you want the games presented. So you're getting 2 games for $12, one of which everyone says is bad (Dawn of War 3)... I don't know about the other.

I've been subscribed to the Humble Monthly for over a year now (on the yearly subscription, so I pay for 11 months and get a whole year, I'm on my second year of that). I feel that, even going in blind like this, I've been getting good value for my money. There's been some disappointing months but overall I feel like I got more than my money's worth. I say this as someone with a broad taste though, if you have a specific taste a grab bag of random games may not be as good for you.

I enjoy getting a couple surprise games every month, with some very nice stuff in there at times. It might not be for everyone, but I've seen some goons buy the scammy key reseller lootbox packs before, and I'd say if you're into the idea of those, the Humble Monthly is a much better way to get a surprise pack of games for $12.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

I really like the Steam Link, but I think my first game to test it out may have not been the best idea. It was Nioh.

hiccups are not something you really want in a game where everything will be ruined if your screen makes a slight delay in a fight. gently caress Dark souls, Nioh punishes the poo poo out of you if you stop dancing to the beat

I love mine but you have to cherrypick which games to play on it. First of all it has to work at all (it got better at this, but there's still games that straight up don't work due to various issues - doesn't boot, not the proper full game window streamed, not recognizing controller input, whatever. And then if something works it better not be something timing dependent. I completed Saint's Row: Gat out of Hell on it so it's not that bad, but you're going to be a noticeably worse player on twitchy games. Basically I barely notice it (but I do notice it), but if a game requires me to react quickly I just fail a lot more than when I'm directly on my PC. Although YMMV, I'm not sure whether my slight lag is due to encoding/decoding delay, HDTV delay, network delay or all of the above.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I read a very positive peyr review.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is Enclave good? I have it for some reason

Steam thread 2018: Is <game> good? I have it for some reason

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

Here, have some option screens

New Tetris lookin' good.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

I guess it makes me an entitled manbaby but I wish this Humble Monthly included both DLCs for Dark Souls 3 and not just one. They just can't help but keep selling it to people piece meal until the very end or something.

I think the revenue model of a lot of the big ticket stuff on the monthly is to sell the base game for cheaper than it has ever been (many early unlocks have been games previously only available at $20+), but through that increasing the market for DLC. I think if Humble wants to include all DLC a lot of those devs/publishers would have been a lot less eager to deal with them I expect.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Fanatical has a bundle going on with Monster Slayers in it. I like this game and have posted about it in this thread before.

That bundle gives you the game for 75% off, plus its DLC, plus a bunch of other games.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

credburn posted:

This looks like it might be fun, but the art style turns me off so much. I've played three or four other games that look and feel exactly like this, though with an entirely different UI and mechanics. I mean, is this made using a kind of Flash-based engine that a lot of people use? It just feels like this should be played in a Newgrounds window.

This developer churns out a ton of games with the exact same art style and most are pretty mediocre. This game is pretty good though. And as Lunchmeat Larry said, all their games are also available as flash games.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Orv posted:

They're describing it as a story driven XCOM-esque game.

I for one have exactly zero problems with the sudden explosion of XCOM as a genre. :getin:

To think that the initial idea for an XCOM revival was to make it a shooter because they thought nobody was actually interested in a legit new XCOM game.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hahahaha, the humble monthly is unlocking three games to start with. :rip: value.

Immediately receive Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst, and Mafia III + Mafia III: Sign of the Times with more to come!

Aren't God Eater 2 and Mafia III supposed to be pretty good? That's what I remember reading about them in this thread.

I'm trying to find out what the revealed games for February are but the humble site has died.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

God Eater 1+2 are real good anime Monster Hunter clones and I'll vouch for them, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Deus Ex on sale for cheap before, and I have no opinion on Mafia III.

Like, go for it, but this bundle is not for me.

God Eater 2 comes with a free copy of God Eater 1 too, so you're getting both of those in the April monthly.

Koburn posted:

and for the April bundle I can confirm that the GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst key also activates GOD EATER RESURRECTION.

C'mon I was just posting that, and you already beat me to the game list. I cannot delete my post which now contains no original content.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Did anyone try this game yet? Asking for a friend.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
The concept of collecting cards in a CCG is still super cool to me, but unfortunately it is never used as a fun free mechanic and always as a way to optimize player spending.

The Shandalar game in the 1997 Magic PC game was super awesome, it still had you collecting cards but instead of asking the player to spend hundreds of dollars you got new cards by defeating enemies, shopping at towns and delving into dungeons for the most powerful stuff.

I also understand the desire to have everything available in competitive multiplayer. Which the 1997 game had, at least, I don't think it had multiplayer but it had an "every card is available" custom game mode against the AI as well. That's the power of doing a digital version of a CCG, you could have a game where there's a card-collecting single player campaign, an every-card-is-available ranked multiplayer mode, and sealed deck/drafting without having to continuously buy new packs to play it. But unfortunately capitalism means we cannot have that anymore as it would not make the optimal amount of dollars.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Just Cause 2 did the achievements for the collectibles exactly right. It has a "Get 50% completion achievement" which meant at 50% I thought good enough, got that achievement, I'm done. There is also one for 75%. There is not one for 100%.

I tend to not go for all of the achievements in most games (like most people) and I know there's a lot of people who will go for 100% regardless, but including or omitting a 100% achievement really makes me feel a different vibe with regard to how much the game expects you to continue to 100%.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I liked shooting dudes with the bow.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

This is why I like to write code that screams bloody murder when it attempts to load a value that does not exist. Just assuming 0 is probably preferable in a production environment but this kind of stuff generally doesn't reach production if it generates a warning of some kind.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

If only there was a data type that only allowed you to use a set of enumerable values, we could even call it an 'enum'. Alas...

What? These are numerical weight values, not enum values, and they are loaded from an external file. If you try to load a value into an enum you still need to define behaviour for "this value does not exist" and my preference is still "generate warning" over "assume default value and keep quiet".

Edit: I guess you mean an enum for the key part of the key:value pair? As I understood it these values were in some external file, not inside the source code, but I could be wrong, I don't know where that list of values came from. I do know that Alpha Centauri had stuff like that in editable txt files so you could easily edit/create factions, which is more like the situation I was thinking about.

Griefor fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 15, 2018

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Orv posted:

The incredibly bad version of TIE Fighter on Steam got an update a couple hours ago with the update text simply being;

"Minor bug fixes and optimized performance, including support for the Macintosh."

Which really gives me a lot of confidence in the people doing the updating, because I had genuinely almost forgotten that the word Macintosh existed. Also the game won't launch because the update removed two files but honestly that's small beans.

Right, but now after starting the game your PC performs better, and bugs in the game no longer occur. Also, the game behaves the same on Mac and PC.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I was gonna wait for Into the Breach to get a bit cheaper before buying it but then I saw that while Steam has it at €15, Humble Bundle has it at €12,50, coming to €11,24 with Humble Monthly discount, so I just bought it.

Now I am tired because playing just one more level at bedtime somehow ended up making me go to bed 2 hours later than planned.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

The Kins posted:

GOG is pretty good, but also has a good deal of flaws. The two that really get my goat:
Their gatekeeping, while keeping a lot of crap out, also keeps out a lot of really good games. Other people have gone over Zachtronics being (briefly) locked out, but I've also heard stories of Dusk and the CAVE shmups getting form-letter rejections without any explanation of where they failed.

Also, many games on the service lack vital patches or entire modes of content for various reasons ranging from "we can't justify the effort to replace the Steamworks API with the Galaxy one" to "getting updates out on GOG is a teeth-spittingly frustrating process".

I also had a refund given in store credit instead of back to the payment method used, but that was for a heavily-discounted game in the midst of a busy sale, so I'll let it slide just this once. Anyway, long story short, you're best using GOG for old games that have long since ceased patching, since that's kind of their field of expertise.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Holy gently caress, Amanita Design actively hates GOG customers, huh? They've gone out of their way not once but twice to gently caress people who bought their games on GOG. It's not even a patching thing, it's a "putting the game on sale for a dollar on other platforms literally immediately after releasing on GOG with content that the GOG version lacks" thing.

e: seriously, what's with that? The other stuff, I can buy being due to incompetence or lack of resources, but this is just straight up a dev being dicks.

I only ever remember hearing the opposite version of this story until now, didn't know it happened this way too. Like for example, GoG has Heroes of Might and Magic 3 with all the expansions, while Steam has the barebones "HD" version. There's a bunch of games that have the better version on GoG but I guess those are mostly old games that were done being patched before GoG or Steam ever existed.

Doesn't Steam have a clause in their contract with publishers that they are obligated to provide patches that appear on other platforms within X days? Specifically to prevent their users from getting hosed over like the GoG games on that link do to GoG users.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Steam Link (what was on sale for $1.10 +game +shipping) is still up and available. Steam Machines were the full fledged linux computers that I thought had already been purged into the memory hole.

The Steam Link has its issues but I've definitely had my $50 worth (got it at launch as I did not expect this product to get early deep discounts on sales like it did) of fun with it. It's a niche product but it's pretty cool.

Anyone have any idea what the status of the Steam Link is? As in, is Valve working on v2, are they gonna keep on trucking with the current one, or is it due for getting killed off?

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Humble Monthly April:
GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Mafia III
Outlast 2
Lara Croft GO
Subterrain
AER Memories of Old
Laser League

Early unlocks for May:
Kerbal Space Program
Dead Rising 4
Ruiner

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

The first four games are somewhat worth the $12 I'd say, never heard about the rest except for Lara Croft GO which is pretty boring.

It's alright, but Hitman GO was much better.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Palpek posted:

I don't get why stories like these are still framed as something surprising in gaming. Yes, you work in a creative industry where you need to balance money spent on producing something vs product quality and how likely you can find an audience you can sell it to. Everybody who makes movies, writes books, designs objects or creates art has the exact same problem. Why this applying to games is some space-brain revelation?

It's not completely unique to gaming though. I read an article once about some couple that started a coffee place. So they're working super long hours, business is slow, and on one such day the guy does some math calculating how many customers he needs per day to stay solvent and is surprised how high it is. They were selling nice croissants but had to switch to cheaper ones because they were selling them at a loss.

It was an interesting read but also baffling how little research they did beforehand. People who are bad at math skip it, figure it will work itself out, and are then desolate when it did in fact not and they are now six figures in debt.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Bastion is a great counter to what the Where The Water Tastes Like Wine guy did. Logan Cunningham seems to be insanely talented but before voicing the narrator in Bastion he had done practically nothing. And Bastion also seemed to be a serious passion project; several dudes working for EA on big strategy games were like "it sure would be great if we had enough time to make our own games", and then they did that.

They did it right with Aquaria, too. There's a single voice actress (Jenna Sharpe) in it, and she's very important and she carries the whole game. The devs had a bunch of trouble casting someone unknown who could get it right but eventually they found someone, and she even sang a song on the soundtrack and it's great. Much better than pissing away half your budget to get some uninterested A-list (yeah right, B-list at best probably) actress to do it.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I'm guessing this is the same Jenna Sharpe with the extremely right-wing twitter:

https://twitter.com/jennavation

The goon support surprises me, but I suppose it's a healthy attitude not to care too much about a good actor's real-life political views.

Pages ago, but for the record: I did not know this. I remembered her being good in Aquaria, looked her up on imdb and that was basically all I knew about her.

Stickman posted:

What does 9/11 have to do with anything? She voiced Aquaria somewhere in 2005-2007 (hence roughly "ten years ago"). Regardless, the original poster's point was that she carried Aquaria despite being an unknown voice actress. Which she absolutely did, regardless of her politics.

It's pretty disappointing that's she's turned out to be a poo poo person, but it's extremely likely that no one knew that at the time (she was what, 22-24?) and most people probably aren't aware of it now. I certainly wasn't.

This, basically.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

Great job digging that meltdown up, only good things will come out of it.

Well, if someone accuses me of supporting someone's hate filled views which I didn't even know about, I kind of want to rectify it? I am perfectly fine dropping it beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

The Kins posted:

Using GOG for non-old games isn't necessarily a good idea, games tend to either miss features or vital patches for some reason or another.

I've seen this list posted before, and it really makes me wonder what the reason for this is? Is there a large amount of effort involved in publishing a patch to GoG? Do they charge for it? It just seems like the amount of effort to upload a patch to GoG should be worth it compared to the effort to actually code, test AND upload a patch to Steam, even if the GoG userbase is much smaller. Also, you avoid bad press like this and it's just the decent thing to do. If it's truly too much to do every patch you can at least do major/final releases instead of nothing after the initial release. So, why?

I guess at least the missing multiplayer ones might be explained by them using Steam-specific libraries to implement it. Or Steamworks for level editing/sharing. But some games have long since fixed glaring bugs that exist in the only version ever made for GoG. In single player games without any Steam specific features.