Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Blattdorf posted:

I'm about halfway through it. It's awesome! Highly polished all around. A must-play for any TD fan looking for something a bit different from the usual fare.

All of the buildings are destructible, and it's not just a PhysX buzzword.

How is the weapon and upgrade variety relative to something like Tyrian 2000? How is the tower variety relative to something like....whatever a good tower defense example is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Pierson posted:

Did anyone get drunk and pick up Warhammer 40: Inquisitor: Martyr? (Good lord that title.)

I'm a sucker for ARPGs and a sucker for Warhammer, but Warhammer games are either "good but ultimately stopped short of greatness by questionable decisions" to "awful over-priced mobile ports". Curious which this one might turn out to be.

I love it, but it's clearly not done. Unless you really liked The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing and the way that game was designed and improved over time (so you know you like Neocores design sensibilities and trust they'll polish for years) I wouldn't take the plunge on Martyr yet. The combat system is loving fantastic though - it's got cover, flankin and destructible environments that matter. Simulated projectiles so more you gotta switch up which attacks you use depend on range and how much of the target is exposed. Oh and it's well written which is something of a rarity for 40k games nowadays.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

borderlands IS bad

It's okay. It did some things that were unqiue at the time and did them badly. Then they never improved on it (except in Battleborn, which nobody bought).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

The guns were boring but they really nailed the powers. It's probably the best wizard simulator out there (barring Dishonored which aims for something quite different).

Magika and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic are both fantastic wizard simulators.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Ah yes, Scorn. HR Giger Presents: A Tool Music Video First Person Shooter.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

il_cornuto posted:

I don't know about required, but I know a lot of people use the Rebirth mod for better graphics. I haven't played it in ages though so there might be something newer.

SS2 was my favourite game for quite a while, enjoy!

Edit: I forgot to mention, Rebirth does change one of the enemy models to be closer to the original concept art, which makes it quite different from what it looks like in the base game, if that bothers you.

They reverted dumb midwife change ages ago. I'd definetly grab some SS2 mods just to fix a lot of the bugs and make it run better.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

And a System Shock 3.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

For a game that appeared to be a cool 60's mod bioshock when they first showed the trailer but turned out to be just another early access randomly generated crafting survival game :v:

Well the reason for the price increase is that they're actually making it a cool 60s bioshock style game instead of a lovely procgen survival game.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I wouldn't wish PubG on my worst enemy. It's only fun when hanging out with friends on voice coms, and there's far better alternatives that let you do that while also being good games.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

gently caress the haters, prey goty

play it on easy, that initial resource hump is steep as gently caress

Play Prey on easy or medium because the enemy design is trash and simply doesn't work on hard. There's enemies that spawn damage fields underneath you, without line of sight and they spawn faster than you can move out of the radius. Oh and they kill you in a few ticks of damage.

Seriously, System Shock 2 doesn't have great enemy design, but new-Prey managed to make far worse ones. It's like they came up with the enemies in a vacuum thinking their gameplay was going to have a fast moving run and gun protagonist and then still put them in the game without any changes when it turned out it wasn't.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

You seem to be kinda bad at games, have you considered a career in games journalism? :laugh:
But seriously, those are really easy to notice and evade, they even get the sound warning and the blinking red exclamation sign. I can understand complaining about infinite military operators with lasers, but typhon aren't a big deal.

Ok now try that on hard in the tiny main elevator exit room or the zero G corridors. The giant operators (whatever the hell they're called) are a lovely enemy design and they combined it with lovely places to encounter them. They're fightable (but still a garbage design because non-LOS attacks utter stupidity) in most areas of the game, but they put them specifically where you can't actually dodge their poo poo.

There's just far too much hitscan and collision and line of sight ignoring attacks in new-Prey, which any sane FPS developer knows are both not things you just throw on standard enemies.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

Somebody talk me out of Origin Access. It's $30 a year for the opportunity to clumsily juggle 3 team shooters that I'm mildly interested in :v:

I just like took a look at it again for the first time in a *while* because they added the Ultimate Edition of Star Wars Battlefront to it, and it's got Titanfall 2 and the base game of Battlefield 1 there. I literally don't have the free time for this much content.

Titanfall 2's campaign is fantastic and the multiplayer is quite fun - don't even have to play PvP either, it's got a nice coop mode. Not sure it's 30 bucks good, but if you can find anything else in that package you are interested in it's probably worth it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Zereth posted:

I think the first one opens with the (dead) villain of the base game literally saying "Nothing makes sense anymore!" and he's correct. The gameplay remains good, though.

And one of them involves playing some random security guard instead of the Pointman, who somehow has the Pointman's bullet time for no reason.

Don't forget that the FEAR expansions also feature maximum steve blum overload. One of them has a scene in which the player (Steve Blum) watches the Villain (Steve Blum) torture a random mook (Steve Blum).

FEAR 2 is weaker in terms of gameplay - the AI isn't as good, the combat encounters are worse, etc. - and it's got a different more console friendly art style, but it has some really good setpieces (Power armor!) and the story is a good continuation unlike the FEAR 1 expansions.

FEAR 3 isn't a FEAR game at all. It's fun in coop as a strange score-attack magic-shooter thing, but it's not a FEAR game.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

When the best compliment they can muster is "they work with a lot of big IPs" you know you're talking to a corporate gently caress CEO.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Sivek posted:

so Konami is releasing Zone of the Enders 2 on PC and VR in spring of 2018

that was unexpected

Wait do you mean Zone of the Enders 2 or Second Runner? Because the former would be crazy.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

The last decently themed police game I played was SWAT4. Sure you can put it on Easy and treat it as an incredibly awkward to control Rainbow 6 but if you want to get the most out of the game you put it on the hardest difficultly and then you basically have to learn to be a perfect SWAT member. Leave nothing to chance, come out with everyone - suspects and hostages alike - alive, follow all procedure with no shortcuts, and instantly react to the unexpected with the exact right amount of force at the exact right time.

It may be incredibly gamey - sending in a 5 person SWAT team armed with nothing but beanbag shotguns and tasers to subdue a group of 15+ people with body armor and assault rifles is probably not going to work elsewhere - but it is a game after all.

The police in SWAT 4 is the police we want, not the one we really have sadly. Fun fact - those developers were working on a sequel to SWAT 4 set in the zombie apocalypse. Same engine, same handling, same team based tactics - just add apocalypse. They were too early for the zombie phase so they didn't get the money.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I might as well bring it up here as the general pc thread but man Cuphead is looking incredibly boring to play.

I think it was originally supposed to be a short boss-fight-only game, so it wouldn't wear itself out.

And yes Shadow of War's crate bullshit is bullshit. Just because the publisher promises pinky-swear that we totally didn't gently caress over the economy, we swear, doesn't make it ok. Even if it's true it doesn't make it alright. From the fact that it's straight up gambling in an unregulated space to forcing the game to be always online, it's just lovely the whole way through, like a layer cake of crap.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 20, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

DaveKap posted:

For the record and, honestly, only tangentially related... The Diablo 3 real money auction house, which took a portion of the money exchanged between players and funneled it into Blizzard's bank (similar to Valve taking $ from every transaction) was supposed to have "zero impact on the game's item drop balance." When the auction house closed, drop rates of good equipment increased exponentially and the game became much more fun to play. I have zero doubt in my mind that the game was balanced with the auction house in mind; a thing that in some ways was a micro-transaction machine for Blizzard.

Don't forget the always online requirement because it's impossible to have an online mode while having an offline singleplayer (ignore that Diablo 2 did it already) which was totally not because they needed to make sure their auctionhouse was harder to mess with. Miraculously the console version of the game, which got made without an auction house isn't always online. But then Blizzard really loves to pretend dumb poo poo they do is because of insurmountable technical barriers, despite having surmounted them in games they made themselves years earlier.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Augus posted:

that sounds pretty sick

Consortium is pretty awesome. James Bond in Iron Man power armor is a great player character, especially since you're not playing him, you're playing yourself taking over his body with no information about the universe. There's lots of fun dialogue and you can even do a Gordon Freeman run ("..." is an option for every dialogue and you can also just let the response window time out) and see what would happen with a silent protagonist. Some wonderful fuckery ensues because certain characters know or might know that you're actually playing a game from a different reality, and one of them can even override what your character says against your will. It gets very meta quickly - at one point one of the characters hears the game's soundtrack playing and recognizes it as video game music because it's jeremy soule. The murder mystery is also quite good and meshes well with the pseudo-time travel you get from playing the same day over and over.

Hopefully The Tower Prophecy continues the branching and meta stuff.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 21, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

DaveKap posted:

A few years back I went to a SquareEnix GDC presentation where they basically stated this is how they develop Final Fantasy games. The art always comes first and I'm not talking about the concept art, I'm talking about in-game assets. If you've ever wondered why the various enemies in those games never seem to really be informed by their environments or lore, this is why.

It's how FPS games used to be made too. Work on all the levels simultaneously, then figure out how to fit them together.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Tafferling posted:

A brief review of super Hydorah

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tafferling/recommended/628800/

I only got to the Warcore assault level, so I did see just one of the new ones. Pretty fun, but the major boon is putting one of the most obnoxious worlds off to the side as a bonus. Its terrible miniboss has been slightly revamped though and now it's much less of a grind.

The Warcore assault is still as wonderful as I remembered.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/628800/Super_Hydorah/

It's still hard as gently caress, but it has a much less punishing difficulty sistem now, you can continue at will at the cost of your score.

Did they rebalance any of the weapons? Some of them were really bad and didn't even have a single stage where they were better than any of the others.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Croccers posted:

I'm interested to know what games have 'meaningful content' locked behind Upoints.
Most stuff I've seen are:
-A single 10 minute mission that doesn't give you anything cool and no-one ever mentions again. (Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, one of the Splinter Cells)
-A gun that's kinda neat at most (One of the Far Crys had the Robocop gun).
-Dress-ups (Gun/vehicle reskins, fashion clothing)

RUSE has units locked behind the uplay points., which is a nightmare for an RTS.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Was that game even that good? I remember it coming out, then nothing. Also I think that was early UPlay so maybe they wanted to try points then found that it wasn't going to work that well.

If you can get it to work nowadays, it's a great game. A really interesting take on RTS, where much of direct combat is soft-kills where the losing side retreats and a lot of the game is setting up ambushes that destroy units outright. Huge focus on recon and deception - all units are revealed in fog of war as either vehicle, infantry or airplane markers so you know more or less where things are coming from, but you don't know what. Add the ability to switch around infantry and tank markers, hide the markers or create fake markers and you've got a lot of bluffing. It's also got great scale and a decent campaign.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 27, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

AC black flag was acceptable but I do hope someone makes a pirate game that doesn't also include climbing a tower or tailing people

Rebel Galaxy is just the ship part of Black Flag, but in space with great music.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Man this looks cool but it also looks like it's probably 90% combat.

Are there not any game where you fly around in space being a trucker or explorer or something that aren't like 75%+ combat? Fightin once in awhile is fine but man the whole genre just seems way too heavy on the combat for my tastes. I guess No Man's Sky exists but ehhhh

I just wanna hit spacestation bars and haul weird poo poo across pretty space drat it

If you really just want to trade Elite Dangerous is what you want. No walking around going into space bars though. X3 is also really trade heavy, but harder to avoid fighting in that in Elite - but you do get to scale up into hiring other people to fly more space trucks for you and even own your won production chains.

Rebel Galaxy is 90% combat. I can also recommend Void Destroyer 2, it's an X3/Freelancer hybrid with some RTS thrown in - direct control ship fighting but you can also work your way up to owning freighters, miners and play a big economy/conquer the map style game.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

oh my god yes we get it, this game got good review scores

this is just like that one batman game that was covered with "GOTY" and award medals

My favorite is when they do that while the game is still months from release.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Apart from the perfomance issues and the riddler challenges Arkham Knight is an improvement on the previous one in every way. The Riddler challenges just seemed really lovely compared to the kind of neat traversal ones of City and the perspective puzzles of whateverthefirstonewascalled. The Predator sections especially feel fantastic in Knight.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

The only AC I've ever played is Black Flag, and I never once felt like I was missing out for not following the series from the beginning because the whole templar/assassin plot was merely a very dull backdrop for jumping rooftops and pirating. The people recommending this poor dude who just wants to play a pirate game to suffer through 60+ hours of Ezio should be arrested for cruelty.

That's because by Black Flag, they had given up on the Templar/Assassin backstory and descended into outright parody. You literally play a QA Tester for Ubisoft in Black Flag.

AC2 is the high point for the Assassins Creed backstory (the ending of the first AC2 is brilliant) before they left it on a cliffhanger and said gently caress it let's just ruin it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The Kins posted:

The worst thing about the Fortnite/PUBG slapfight is that the Fortnite mode was developed by the Unreal Tournament team. Yeah, the same Unreal Tournament that's sat unfinished and largely untextured since 2014.

They have an Unreal Tournament team? I thought the whole point of the new Unreal Tournament was that Epic was saving literally all the money by letting the community do all the work, from modelling, texturing up to game design (cause that's totally not gonna be a trainwreck).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Nioh is fantastic and if the port is decent it's a must have for character action players. It's like Dark Souls with most of the jank removed.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Too Shy Guy posted:

Was Hawken another case of "incredible artists have no idea how to make a game"? Because I remember it looked absolutely amazing in previews and then when it actually launched no one seemed to care.

Yes except it was less "they don't know how to make a game" and more "they made a multiplayer only arena shooter out of it". Hawken had everything except for the game mode people actually wanted, which was singleplayer.

It's the same thing that happened to Dreadnought recently. Amazing trailer -> holy poo poo this looks like an amazing 40k-esque capital ship sim -> oh it's a bad mutliplayer only world of tanks clone -> dead.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 2, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

spudsbuckley posted:

I really enjoyed Nioh but i found it a good bit easier than any of the Soulsbourne stuff i played (every other than DS 2 + 3).

It generally is easier yeah, because the enemies don't cheat. They have a (visible) stamina bar to manage and can't just infinite-chain attacks. The initial hump is way worse than any Souls game though (except maybe Bloodborne?) because they frontload the 2 hardest bosses to the first two missions, a point at which you don't have access to most of your skills no matter how much you grind (because they're story locked). By Act 3 you've got options coming out your rear end and things feel a lot easier.

Black Griffon posted:

God, I was just thinking about playing Stalker again. I've got the first one and Clear Sky, but which one holds up best? And what about essential mods and such?

The third one (Call of Pripyat?) is considered good enough to playable out of the box without any mods. It has some great ones though - there's one that adds the maps of all 3 games together into one giant Zone sandbox that's really good.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 2, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Fallen Enchantress is already the standalone relaunch/fix of the game they just couldn't rescue for ages, Elemental. The current state of Fallen Enchantress isn't too bad. It's fairly competent fantasy 4x, with an unusually robust hero system but pretty generic in every other respect.
Falle? E?cha?tress 0MEK?-RA5ZP-BZ6VH

Sorceror King is fairly similar but more focused on the hero and quest aspects, which is their strong point anyway. So it ends up quite good.

Sins is fantastic and has a great modding scene. It just suffers from an outdated engine that runs up hard into the 32bit and single core cpu limits in the endgame.

GalCiv is supposedly good if you like 4x games that don't have combat mechanics. Personally I think it's pretty awful because of that but your mileage may vary.

Ashes is just super mediocre and there's no reason to ever play it when Supreme Commander 1 exists (and is still being developed by the community via Forged Alliance Forever).

Offworld Trading Company is very clever, but how much you enjoy it in the long run depends on how much you enjoy capitalism sims.

I know absolutely nothing about The Political Machine.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 3, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It controlling your mouse sounds like Steam is loading a profile in which the tilting of the controller acts as the mouse. I think that's the default for steams PS4 profile.

Try launching big picture mode in steam with the controller plugged in and checking the options/configuring the controller profile from there.

Quick way to check if steam is the issue is to try playing something with the controller while steam isn't running.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

il_cornuto posted:

Much cheaper, I actually saw it in a second hand shop window on the way back from a job interview. If I get the job I'll get a new 360 controller straight away! Until then, I can't really afford one.

I tried an Origin game and it worked fine. I've poked around the settings some more, it can't find a profile and wants me to define one but it seems to treat the right stick as pressing buttons as well as randomly scrolling directions. Disabling Big Picture Overlay when using a controller from the desktop seems to have stopped it grabbing the mouse at least. As far as I can tell there are no motion detectors in the controller anyway.

Edit: The problem is, if I don't try and set up the controller through Steam none of my games recognise it, which seems stupid.

Note that the 360 pad has a notoriously lovely d-pad. Depending on how much you're willing to spend a ps4 controller is probably the better (wired) option, but a (wired) 360 pad for PC - which is actually a distinct thing from a console 360 pad - is almost certainly a cheaper option, especially if you don't plan on using the d-pad as a primary control method like in 2D platformers or fighting games.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Question for the thread. Does everyone just use the Steam Big Picture mode for their Dualshock 4 or DS4Windows?

I do it through steam when it's a steam game. One of the sometimes not so nice and sometimes nice things is that you don't have to go into big picture mode for steam to do it's controller shenanigans.

But I've got DS4Windows for the rare cases where steam is either screwing things up or not fixing them. Generally using a PS4 pad is a lot less hassle than a PS3 pad but more hassle than plugging in a 360-for-windows pad - but the PS4 pad has the advantage of being a lot more flexible and working for things that don't have 360 support too. Plus I guess if when you're using steam with it, you could do all kinds of shenanigans with the motion sensors and touchpad (but I've never played a game where I thought "I really wish I could make a macro for x on the touchpad").

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Timeshift also did multiplayer time-manipulation (including bullet time).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

FEAR 1 vs FEAR 2 just feels like the perfect example of a PC shooter vs a console shooter. FEAR 2 is just lacks that certain something that old PC shooters had and embodies all the worst traits of the post-halo console shooter frenzy.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Why is Dana Moore the worst character?

She is essentially your racist uncle + the worst american jingoism + warcrimes are ok if we do it combined into a character the game actively tries to protray as something not utterly reprehensible. Basically the game spends all of it's time making your little terrorist group look like the good guys, despite doing what ISIS and the Taliban do every day, from IEDing military forces to straight up kidnapping and torturing people for funsies. And unlike the last game that did that (Red Faction: Guerilla) you don't play a character with a moral compass actively repulsed by what his allies are doing.

If you can manage to ignore the story and all dialogue, it's a decent game though, especially at <20 bucks. It also manages to have the single best lighting in anything ever. Colours realistically change as ambient lighting goes away, your simlated eyes adjust to darkness gradually, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

They front load a pretty lengthy mostly-batmobile section to show it off. It takes a while before you get back to doing in-door predator sections but they do exist (and are cool because of the new predator mechanics).