Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Avalerion posted:

But then Overwatch for example does not even have progression.

Yeah the Overwatch thing doesn't make sense to me.
Looks like Belgium isnt gonna get to play Overwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Palpek posted:

It's about what falls under the definition of gambling, nobody's analyzing progression.

Trading card games are the same, they're not addressed yet because nobody brought attention to them. When anti-lootbox laws spread around Europe then yeah, trading cards are probably next.

Fair enough. I think the Belgium ruling a perfect example of government bureaucratic overreach but hey that's pretty much the EU in the nutshell.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Palpek posted:

Why is it an overreach? There are gambling laws in place, if a publisher wants to sell a gambling game they absolutely can sell one, they just need to have it fallow gambling regulations with proper age restrictions, taxes and algorithm control. This isn't some new law being put in place but recognizing that a product was dodging existing laws.

The Netherlands ruling makes sense since it specifically was against game rewards that could be "cashed out". The Belgium ruling does not since it includes games that have no ability to "cash out".
The overreach is defining what is and isn't gambling.
Unless of course in Belgium, slot machine games you can play on Facebook or your cell phone are illegal?

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

DatonKallandor posted:

Every government so far having done nothing is an example of government underreach. Lootboxes are not ok, and never have been. Neither are TCGs.

If they are not ok and never have been why are they ruling on this now, instead of at or before the game release?
TCG have been around for decades. They are suddenly bad now?

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Truga posted:

"People have been drinking and driving for decades, but now it's suddenly bad?"

Someone, probably, around the time that law was being made.

oh yeah comparing drunk driving to loot boxes isn't a false equivalency at all.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Truga posted:

https://www.alternet.org/how-gambling-can-kill-you-faster-drug-abuse-or-alcoholism

e: hint: the person doing the drunk driving in this "equivalency" isn't the gambler.

Ah yes Alternet, the paragon media source. Anyways this derail has gone on long enough and isn't about sweet sweet games anymore.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

The Kins posted:

Ahh, publishers will find a way, and we can all go back to the good old days.

haha dont people Australia pay these prices still?

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Armacham posted:

I don't think I've paid launch MSRP for a game in like 5 years.

This but 10 years.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Bad Seafood posted:

It's been a long time for me as well so I won't claim any special knowledge - though I do still have the documentary buried somewhere in my inbox. I do remember there being a gap between the cast announcement and any further clarification on the matter, however, leading to speculation and begrudging feelings.

Either way, yeah, while I wanna be sympathetic to the dude who poured four years of his life into a passion project, maybe don't blow your budget on some super famous guy to the narration. I guarantee you there's some no-name, up-and-coming voice actor who'll get the job done to your satisfaction for a fraction of the cost.

He could have hired one of the voice actors from Critical Role if he wanted some level of celebrity voices in his game for probably a lot cheaper.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean... someone should probably bring it up to Derek Yu or Alec Holowka. Jenna Sharpe isn't some big name, but Aquaria pretty much launched her career and gave her a platform to be awful, so they should maybe consider taking her VO work out of the game (and possibly hiring a different actress to re-record it if finances allow) so they aren't making the situation worse.

hahahahahaha. Are you taking the piss?
Jesus Christ, people are allowed to have an opinion regardless how terrible it is.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I had never heard of Aquaria until today, should I check it out

yeah its pretty well done for an indie game from ten years ago

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

depending on how the game's coded it might be literally as simple as "patching" the game so that the audio files aren't there anymore.

and i mean, if they're not working together someone's maintaining the mobile versions of the game :shrug: Yu's just a little more easily accessible than Holowka from a quick google

people are allowed to have an opinion, regardless of how terrible it is. people are then allowed to respond to that terrible opinion by going "that's awful, you're a loving idiot" and publicizing that terrible opinion so everyone knows to avoid the shitbag. free speech is not a one-way street and people who believe it is are generally not acting with the world's best interests in mind.

You honestly dont see the issue with encouraging someone you dont know to spend thousands of dollars to erase work someone did decades ago because of opinions they currently hold because you dont agree with them?

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Stexils posted:

since when do people think VAs are influencial

critical role man. It's got people thinking VAs matter(ed)

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

DrNutt posted:

Expecting them to do anything at this point is ridiculous but please don't equate being a loving neo nazi who calls for the genocide of Muslims with "having opinions" and "saying things on Twitter I don't like."

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it” ~Solid Snake

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

QuarkJets posted:

the cost could be no greater than $1 and take no time at all, but your idea would still be moronic. Hypothetically, let's say that the developer decides to go through with your idea; what do you think would happen after that? Would all of her twitter followers abandon her in disgust and turn away from alt-right conservatism forever, or would the act of removing her VO work in a 10 year-old game for political reasons give her a new reason to be in the limelight and result in her having even more followers than before?

no you see its very important to censor speech because nazis and stuff

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is where I stand on the issue.

Sad to hear she's a bad person now, doesn't mean we should burn her previous work, just refuse to support her going forward.

get out of here with your common sense

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Does Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds: Survivor ARPGs? I know they had weapon progression. I dont remember a real loot based system like Diablo though.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Too Shy Guy posted:

Diablo 3 / Path of Exile / Grim Dawn feel like they form the holy trinity of playable / technical / narrative ARPGs which covers every single fan of the genre. The only shame there is that they're all dark fantasy.

Thoroughly unrelated to ARPGs, Dead Cells has a new update that reworks item progression, adds Legendary items, and changes their dumb challenge rooms so that now you get the goodies up front and have to escape alive with them. Also they're projecting August as their full release.

Torchlight came out at the same time as Diablo 3 hit the shelves and since the state of Diablo 3 at launch was hot poo poo most people flocked to Torchlight and sang its praises.
At the time it was a drat good game.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

fez_machine posted:

Noctis
Meadow
My Time In Portia
80 days
Knytt Underground (Most Nifflas games as well)
Fract OSC
Full Bore
Jazz Punk
Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Infra
The Wild Eternal
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles

I second Full Bore. It's got a serious exploration vibe going for it.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Naganted posted:

I've kept Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front on my lists for awhile now waiting the mythical day I have something that can run it, and it's on sale,
https://store.steampowered.com/app/312980/Graviteam_Tactics_MiusFront/

It's half off right now and I've got that mythical rig that can actually play 3d games now, so does anybody have much to say about it beyond the usual tutorial is completely bad and learning curve is a cliff and you will have to do lots of looking up everything you want to know on your own?

I'd ask some specific questions, but I don't really have a clue beyond seeing a cute Marder and then a herd of them in the trailer along with all sorts of other pretty nice looking armor that got me smiling.

Also considering Men of War because someone said it has good destruction in it? I know it won't be Silent Storm level, but I'm curious.
Think I'm just fiending to mess around with lots of Ww2 armor in 3d (especially weird rare and variant stuff, Real Red mod spoiled me eons ago.) and really wanting good damage modelling, totally a simple little thing to ask for, heh.

I love Men of War and it extremely destructible and hits all the points you are looking for, but it is also extremely difficult.
I would suggest playing on Easy. Even then its hard but at least its not ball-busting hard.

Men of War is their latest series of games, but it all started with Soldiers:Heroes of WW2 which actually holds up pretty well for the genre.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

The Huge Manatee posted:

Getting through the game from start to finish isn't particularly complex, but min-maxing or even playing in a vaguely optimal fashion sure is.

What? With skill you dont need to min max anything, just choose your fav weapon type and go to town.
Dark Souls is an entirely skill based game. you can beat it with the wooden sword and poo poo shield from the start if you want to.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Armacham posted:

Wow you sound like a super fun guy

actually he sounds like a douchebag

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Sivek posted:

First steam game for me involves gaining collectible pin-ups through loving npc's.

The more things change on the steam storefront, the more they stay the same.

Witch, er, game is this?

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

"Putting all their eggs into the '[technology buzzword]!!!!' basket in the hopes that they'll magically unfuck everything" is such a perfect encapsulation of the Silicon Valley mindset, and it also makes the behavior of Valve make much more sense to me. They're a startup in the final phase of their lifecycle, where all the visionary people died or left and they're just resigned to rent-seeking behavior, like Microsoft or (recently) Apple.

except Valve is none of that because it is a privately owned company and has none of the typical motivators Silicon Valley companies have, such as being beholden to shareholders.
Also Valve being characterized as a Start-up when it is over a decade old...
finally Valve is based in Washington not Silicon Valley.

If anything Valve is a victim of its own flat management structure.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
maxed out the Spring Cleaning badge, only nets you backgrounds and a special gold feather duster emoticon.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

i'm not trolling when i talk about being better for developers because i have friends who have gotten burned hard by trying to make money from steam

but i am pretty drunk so im probably coming across as really antagonistic im sorry

I buy all my games from this hobo under a bridge

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Tippis posted:

Hell, at least FC1 could conceivably have covered up this behaviour with some silly “geneginered psychic mind meld” nonsense, but the way FC2 enemies instantly know of your location no matter how impossible it should be for them to do so is a large part of why combat, like so many other things, become a slog. It also makes a large set of weapons completely pointless.

This is straight up wrong. I was just playing FC2 a couple weeks ago and I while I was assaulting a plantation, the bad guys were literally freaking out while looking for me. This was after me tripping up an alarm by getting spotted by a bad guy before I killed him quick enough.
You are wrong. You opinions are based off wrong poo poo. Stop posting.

She Bangs the Drums fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 10, 2018

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Every time someone mentions Fallout 76, I instinctively read it first as Interstate '76 and a little blip of hope hits me before my brain auto corrects then I get sad.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Luisfe posted:

Got Grim Fandango, which I already had.

M67KEDEC593955F8AD

cheers for this. I always wanted to play Grim Fandango.

I also tried the Yogcast give away and got Witcher 2. Which is nice since I didn't have it.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Xander77 posted:

gently caress off. 99% of bundle keys come with a steam / uplay key. It's entirely reasonable to require the remaining 1% to come with a visible warning.

it literally tells you on the picture you quoted what you are getting.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

StrixNebulosa posted:

That is the opposite of a warning, that requires the buyer to be perceptive and read patterns and notice the absence when 99% of the time this is not an issue.

And please remember, gamers (including myself!) can be very, very dumb. Humble, in my opinion, would gain more goodwill from their customers (i.e. me) if they had made it more obvious so I wasn't stung by this.

Now, I mean, this issue aside I'm still going to play the game and enjoy it, and I don't feel the need to rebuy it from steam or uplay or whatever, and it works....but I am annoyed that the company is doing something like this, which is, frankly, just this side of misleading.

e: In other words, after buying games from humble for years - in bundles, in the monthly, from the store itself, etc - the storefront broke pattern, in a pretty big way, and did so without specifically pointing out that it broke pattern. To cover their asses, they've got the tiny little icons that for once don't include the steam icon, but those tiny icons don't constitute enough of a warning. I've told Humble this in my email to customer support, and they responded with a help page on how to read the store page, which...

Right.

It's dumb and they're not going to change it, and whatever, I'm only out a few dollars, I have a game I'm going to enjoy, and I'll be more careful in the future.

The company is not responsible for your lack of attention or intelligence.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Light Gun Man posted:

This reminds me, are there any games that are like movie car chase / shootout type poo poo? I wanna chase / outrun poo poo in muscle cars while firing off guns, drat it. I guess there's sandbox as a genre for this kind of but I dunno, I guess I want something that feels more like a 70s car movie or similar. Seems like a good concept for a cheap-price multiplayer game to me.

Interstate '76 on GOG

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Quick math based off that link from a total of about $2500 spent over 9 years says I average about $24 a month on game spending. if you include bundle shopping that most likely goes up to $30 a month.
I have 1334 games. over 9 years that's roughly 12 games a month.
I spend about $2.50 a game.

I also have fun.
Math is fun.

$30 a month at my income is not expensive for this hobby.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I have 356 games on a 13+ year old account, despite using it all of the time and averaging 50-70 hours/2 weeks. I'd like to think of my profile/library as a temple, and every junk game I add to that temple corrupts it like yet another unqualified lover rooting around in my body. The rest of you are sick, with these 5k+ libraries of garbage. You need the lord god.

OK Cream-of-Plenty

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have questions, friends.

Are you at least good at DOTA2?
Please tell me you win all the time.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

VideoGames posted:

I have one, why do you not own rocket league?

uh she does mate

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I understand, it's a multiplayer-only game focusing on sports/physics, and that's not my jam? I could be wrong, but I haven't been enticed over into looking at it.

No, I don't. The list contains games I don't own - I've never touched DOTA or TF2, for example.

ok i get your point, STEAM is broked

edit: leaving this for prosperity since evidently I go to Derek Zoolanders School for kids that dont read good.

Those are your friends.'
Not you.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

(Shadow of Mordor) Oookay... so now I definitely know that the "2 Last Chances then death" thing does not reset if you run off and get herbs then run back in. Good to know. How long does it take to recharge, then?

I'm also fighting a level 20 War Chief (Rukduk the Sadistic (Currently savouring my defeat).
Weaknesses: Fear of Garugs, Caragors, Damaged by Combat Finishers.
Strengths: Invulnerable to Ranged, Ground Pound, Battle-Hardened, Deadly, Charge Attack, Quick Turn, Regeneration. He also has a shield, which means that I can only damage him with regular attacks by getting around behind him, at which point Wraith Flurry works nicely. The trouble will probably be separating him from his horde of underlings chasing me all over without losing my Last Chances. I should also see if I can lead him to a Caragor cage.

just set him up for a Stealth Kill.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
yeah SteamWorld Heist is only $4.95 USD and you all should be buying that poo poo
https://store.steampowered.com/app/322190/SteamWorld_Heist/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

grrarg posted:

The first game is worth playing for the assassinations. They are more involved than in the later games, learning more about the targets and optimal routes.

And you are right that it was very ambitious for its time. People poo poo on the modern-day story in the later games, but the first game does a good job of linking the story, setting and gameplay. Even explaining away game-y stuff like the control scheme as an aspect of the Animus. Face buttons are you controlling Altair's hands and feet like a puppeteer etc. Stuff like that gradually gets pushed out of the later games.

Just have more respect for yourself than to chase the collectibles. They are truly awful in the first game with no way to track them or see them on the map.

The AssCred 1 Menus are also ridiculous. It takes like 10 button presses to quit the game. It's so bad it's hilarious.