Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Steam games are pretty cool except when they're not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Leal posted:

Hello steam thread, can you recommend me the game with the best anime tits?

Unfortunately the answer is not Hatoful Boyfriend

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

What's under Simulation - Penguin?

Is it Sedna's World?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

Disgaea, dood!

Sounds like you've gotta fix that then

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Would you believe that Sedna's World is actually fun?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hey I haven't checked the steam thread in a while I wonder what they're talking about

Zetsubou-san posted:

you posted that under the wrong account, firstaidkite

Oh hi

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Please do not insult duckfarts by implying that they are me

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If anybody here is ever looking for a metroidvania style game, I suggest looking into Mystik Belle. It isn't perfect, it's flawed, but it is a relatively small and short sorta metroidvania/adventure hybrid and it is also cute, good sprite work all around.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Big! Big cleaver killing all my friends. Couldn't stop him, had to run away. Couldn't save them. Trapped in a room with so many bodies... so many friends... NOOOOOOOOOO!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DancingShade posted:

If that happened routinely in every game we would never have seen wonderful things like the second life safari.

I imagine second life safari involved a little more than just following someone around and letting other players know where a streamer was at so the streamer would die and lose, being unable to participate in the game anymore and giving the game a bad reputation :v:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

massive spider posted:

That's a way cooler ending than the ROTJ good guys win and the ewoks/vautigaunts throw a party for you thing.

Would it be as cool if you had to wait a decade for it and play through a whole video game lasting several hours building up to that point and then going "nevermind"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Man sometimes I wish my eyes didn't just immediately glaze over when playing shmups because stuff like this game here (Senko no Ronde 2) look really cool.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/574160/Senko_no_Ronde_2/

I have no clue what's going on in that trailer though and I can already tell that there's no way I'd be able to follow the action well enough to be able to play it. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqfQsRj5wSQ

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

That statement doesn't hold much weight due to the fact that it comes from the guy who also recommended Man'O War: Corsair.

What's wrong with Man O' War: Corsair?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Are you referring to the midwife irt enemy changes? Or something else?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Contents of this bundle:

Lots of anime games

and this

:thunk:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Disclaimer: early access

http://store.steampowered.com/app/701080/Supersonic_Tank_Cats/

This game looks cute and fun. It is a kart racer about playing as cat tanks.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Turd Herder posted:

Wonder if they will offer the game for free to the people who bought a life time membership to torch light :D

What?

Are you thinking of hellgate?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is the pre-sequel just the regular version or is it a goty type version that includes the dlc?

I suspect it's just the vanilla version but I'm hopeful it includes the dlc

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Digirat posted:

Borderlands 2 says "plus DLCs" under it and the pre sequel does not so it's probably just the base.

drat :( Oh well

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Krieger noooo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Croccers posted:

Young Krieger.

I'd watch it.

Nah, he doesn't have the stache to be a younger Krieger.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Too Shy Guy posted:

The only game I can think of with a worse ending was Jericho, just because it went to great pains just to NOT explain or resolve anything.

SOMEBODY didn't play the wii exclusive Overlord prequel.

....which isn't surprising, really. RIP Overlord

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Doki Doki Literature Club is... something. The meta stuff is definitely creepy when it wants to be, but I kinda wish it didn't use themes like depression, self-harm, and suicide for what amounts to cheap shock value.

What felt cheap about it in your opinion? I thought it handled it fairly well since the meta stuff was intended to amplify the already-programmed neuroses the characters suffered from and serve as a way to comment on the hellish existence they have. At least, that was my reading of it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There should be a diablo-clone about pirates, voodoo, the caribbean, and all that good stuff so that they can list their genre as "arrrpg"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

This is almost as bad as this insanely stupid post:

Wow rude >:[

Justin_Brett posted:

Would actually love this.

:hf:

We need more pirate-themed rpgs that are good. For every skies of arcadia it seems like there are maybe 2 or 3 ravens cries

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tenik posted:

I'm surprised that reference wasn't loss in the geometric translations.

Oh god dammit

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hell, people do insane things even when the game isn't free.

Speaking of not-free games, I recently completed the video game Cats Are Liquid.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/498330/Cats_are_Liquid/

It's an okay indie platformer game with a good amount of content and it's only 99 cents but it went really downhill for me in the last 3 or 4 worlds.

So basically the concept of the game is "you are a cat that is a fluid, you can turn into gas to float and turn into liquid to squish under things and eventually you even befriend a silent square that helps you push buttons"

There are various bits of text along the way, just bits of dialogue written on the level backgrounds, all stuff from the cat's point of view where it is just the cat going "hey the rooms changed again" or "man that room sure was weird" or "I don't like this liquid orange stuff, it hurts" or "I can't wait to escape this maze"

That's all fine and dandy, I didn't pick up the game expecting a stellar story. The fact that the dev had the cat making comments about the levels was just a thing that was there, didn't add much to the game but it didn't take away from it either.

Until the last quarter of the game when (ending spoilers because who knows, maybe someone will wanna go into it blind) the game starts to take away abilities from you and the cat gets depressed as a result and starts to feel worthless and eventually notices that the outside world is empty and so you get to the exit and the cat knocks the exit door into a pit and the game has you sit there reading the inner thoughts of the cat who was just wishing everything would start over and that they want to stay in the maze forever and then spikes drop down and kill her. Then you unlock an additional short story world where it is 1 being arguing with another about how the "purple one" made the square that helped out the cat and that the purple one is in charge of the maze and was trying to torture the cat and that the cat was placed into the maze by the cat's owner after the owner felt sad because the cat reminded him of the cat's previous owner who was a friend of the current owner but had passed away and by the time the extra levels get around to the characters talking about wanting to do something to fix the problem, the game fades out because it is too later and the game is going to keep getting reset or whatever the gently caress was going on.

Basically, bunch of attempted plot hooks in the last quarter of the game, none of them actually interesting, all of them causing me to like the game less and less because it felt like the developer wanted to try to have an artsy indie game with a deep story but clearly couldn't write one and ended up just throwing a bunch of poo poo at the wall and hoping the players will piece it together into something cohesive.

I still found the gameplay enjoyable, though, so if you're bored and want some time to kill and want an ok game that kinda looks like they're trying to ape Thomas Was Alone a little bit, then you could certainly spend 99 cents on worse stuff.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I hate when indie games do this crap so much. What could it possibly stand to gain from having a hook like that? Why ruin a good thing right at the very end?

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and that's perfectly fine. It's okay for your cigar to be a cigar. Your cigar doesn't have to be deep and full of last-minute twists about how the cigar hates its life and has been hoping to escape since the start but now feels completely useless and wishes for death.

Games, man. Games are weird.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGDQ7WY7_Ig

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I may do a more in-depth write-up later when I'm not tired on why this is a good game, but if you are a fan of CYOA games, I highly highly highly recommend Open Sorcery

Just a heads up: it is entirely textual. It's done up like a computer program. The writing is very good, though, and more than makes up for the lack of graphics.

It's short, it's cheap (only $0.99), and it has a lot of replayability. I think it also has a demo.

Like I said, maybe I'll do a write-up later on going into detail what makes the game so good, but until then, I hope you can trust me when I say that it is a good game and is worth playing if you like choose your own adventure RPGs/interactive fiction.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Xander77 posted:

It's (near-enough-to) my birthday, and as usual :siren:I'm handing out gifts:siren:.

Add me:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77

Tell me your SA name, and you'll get something good (unless you don't).

In return, please do a short writeup of the game, or ride the Gift Train.

Happy almost birthday!

I hope the gift train works well for you this year and doesn't result in any refunded games. :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Excelzior posted:

also that plot :cripes:

What's the plot?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Alright, so for Xander77's birthday, he gifted me Catlateral Damage and asked that I write a post about it. Here's a post detailing Catlateral Damage and my thoughts on it based on the ~30 minutes of it I've played so far.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/329860/Catlateral_Damage/

ABOUT THIS GAME posted:

Catlateral Damage is a first-person destructive cat simulator where you play as a cat on a rampage, knocking as much stuff onto the ground as possible. See the world through the eyes of a cat! Like other first-person games, you can walk and look around, jump, and crouch. Unlike other first-person games, your primary weapons are your two cat paws, which you can use to swipe at and knock objects onto the floor.

Play from the perspective of a crazy domestic house cat.
Destroy precious collectibles and expensive electronics with your little paws.
Make a mess of every room in the house, from the bedroom to the kitchen.
Procedurally-generated houses for endless replayability.
Loads of collectibles, unlockable cats, and power-ups.
Over 230 photos of real-life cats to find and collect.

So I know a few people who would look at this game and assume it's some kind of goat simulator thing where it's a broken game and the appeal of it is for streamers to stream it while reacting to it, but I am going to have to disagree. From what I played, I found something far more in-depth than a simple rear end in a top hat physics engine. Sure, it's not super deep, but there is definitely more going on than you'd first expect.

In Catlateral Damage, you play your choice of cat from a variety of unlockable cats (unlocked through completing various achievements) and your goal is to take anything that is not on the floor and put it on the floor. This is done through a variety of ways. Using left click and right click, you can swat with your left paw from left-to-right and right paw from right-to-left respectively. You can also stick your paws out with Q and E, doing what almost resembles a sort of "punch" and, if you do it fast enough, looks like you're doing a fist of the north star kinda thing with your paws. These push items straight ahead rather than off to the side like the swats. You can also use the dedicated meow button (F) on smaller items to pick them up and throw them or use the item to push around other items. Lastly, you can just run into an item and it'll get knocked over if it is big enough.

Honestly, this game reminds me a lot of Katamari Damacy. Though they both have different sense of progression, they are both games that pit you against a timer and ask you to go interact with as many objects as possible, sometimes having little bonuses along the way for specific objects. I think in a lot of ways Catlateral Damage would appeal to a fan of Katamari Damacy. They aren't the exact same game but it scratches that same kind of itch in my opinion.

So let's get into the gameplay. There is a litterbox mode (sandbox mode) that I haven't played but I can only assume that you aren't timed and you can go into whatever level you want and just screw around. Levels are randomly generated based on a combination of the level type (whether it be the mewseum, supermarkat, house, etc) and the room layouts. I don't know if the levels themselves have a fixed floorplan, but at the very least the item arrangement is random.

Objective mode is different. In objective mode, you pick your cat and you're dumped into a level. Your cat has a grievance with its owners and decides that it is time to make a mess. From here you start the game proper, just batting stuff off of shelves, knocking over electronics, getting into fridges and cabinets, etc. You are timed during this and are generally given some kind of goal like "knock of X amount of objects" with some bonus objectives like "knock over this specific object." During play, you'll find various glowing items that you can interact with, such cat toys and toilet paper. Upon interacting with these sparkling items, a present will appear containing an upgrade. I am not certain if these upgrades persist from game to game or if you lose them when you restart objective mode, but these upgrades are still useful regardless. They can increase your jump height, swat power, your speed, stuff like that. There are also powerups that are temporary that will max out one of your skills, though these powerups seem to only be given out as rewards for events. Speaking of, during the level there will sometimes be an event. I'm not sure if the events are based on the bonus objectives or if they're just random or what (I apologize, I feel like I should know but I just don't) but when an event happens, you'll be given a small timer to clear the event. The two events I've seen so far were "kill the red dot" and "capture the mouse" and I'm not sure if there are any other events but they certainly help break up the flow of things.

Lastly, as far as collectibles go, there are photos of pets as well as unlockable cats. Cats serve as separate skins, I do not believe they have any unique properties to them. The photos are just photos, they're not super important but they're easy to unlock and they're nice to have because, hey, pictures of cats are good. The way you unlock photos is by finding a photo during a level and knocking it on the floor.

So right now the game is selling for $2.99 and it has some dlc in the form of a $0.49 soundtrack and some free VR support. I can't comment on either since, unlike Katamari Damacy, I felt like the music was serviceable but didn't really stick out, and I have no means of testing out the VR so I don't know how good or bad that is.

Personally, I'd say if you are a fan of Katamari Damacy, a fan of photos of cats, a fan of roguelites that let you carry over upgrades from one run to the next, or are otherwise just interested in a cheap and cute game, I would recommend picking up Catlateral Damage. It is adorable, it has cats, the achievements aren't super annoying and they also serve a purrpose, the unlockables are good, going fist of the north star and just punching a ton to knock over stuff is cool, and the objective and litterbox modes provide a way for people to play who prefur either a more objective-oriented style of play or a more gently caress-around-and-knock-poo poo-down type of thing. There are people out there who are very cynical about stuff like Catlateral Damage, but I can say with certainty that it is just a sincerely good game about cats being assholes, and for $2.99, it's a title that you'll no doubt find to be charming, amewsing, and all around a much better use of $2.99 than various other cheapo games on steam lately such as the deluge of censored pawno games.

In closing, I present to all of you a bunch of screenshots I took while playing. :)

:rip: Nippy, a cat I don't know, but undoubtedly a good cat.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thank you very much to FutureBoy for Dr. Cares - Pet Rescue 911

My fiancee loves these games and she's gonna rescue the gently caress out of that dog.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Is that recycled assets from Heart Medicine?

Same developers, same art style.

Similar minigames even!

Though I meant to post that in the steam gifting thread. Whoops. Sorry :sweatdrop:

e: well I guess same publisher rather than same developer but the publisher likely provided them with the same artists and stuff they use themselves so...

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 25, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Okay serious question, who decided that we needed a video game in the year 2017 based on the loving Love Boat

Is there a Love Boat revival or something going on

http://store.steampowered.com/app/748150/The_Love_Boat/

Why does this exist? I'm sure it's a fun game since it's gamehouse and if you like one of their games then you'll like all of them but still, what a weird thing.

The trailer has a goddamned laugh track in it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is Dr. Cares in the same Ludonarrative Universe as Heart's Medicine/Delicious/Fabulous, though, that's important

Yes, Emily comes running in at the end of the first level with her daughter and is all "help our rabbit, he is sick"

and I guess Emily is running the cafeteria in the Love Boat so now we've expanded Delicious! into that universe.

Is there anything tying the Love Boat to St Elsewhere, I wanna know how deep this goes

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Bad dogs with guns.

The only counter to a bad dog with a gun is a good dog with a gun.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

yegods posted:

Thanks for screwing me, bud. Here I was going to escape the winter sale with just a few items, and now I have to nostalgia buy The Love Boat. But wait there's more. The Love Boat is included in the Delicious pack, and I now have to buy all the Emily games I'm missing. le sigh.

Haha welp

It's not even discounted right now since it came out on the 1st of the month. Sorry.

I have like absolutely zero connection to the Love Boat whatsoever so I see it and I'm just like "haha what lol"

Now, if GameHouse had the rights to something like Cheers then I'd be proper hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

gamehouse presents delicious tim allen's home improvement

Challenge Level: Complete the day without hitting Tim's head off of the pipe more than 5 times