Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I love Dark Souls to death (:v:) but it doesn't have any roguelike elements. It might scratch the same itch but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I like Hollow Knight a lot but some enemies are just so tedious to deal with and it sours the experience a bit for me, especially coupled with some long corpse runs when going to back to bosses. Same for barebones fast travel system but I've heard they're doing something with that in the latest update so we'll see.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Fargin Icehole posted:

I tried the Surge Demo. I am a huge Dark souls fan, and I gave Lords of the fallen a chance...Surge just feels like a really incomplete Lords of the fallen. Not being able to switch to other enemies (instead targetting body parts with joystick swipes) effectively makes the stupid Dark Souls 2 style ambushes a real pain in the rear end.

Good news: you can switch to other enemies.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I finished Prey last week so let me gush about it. That game was an absolute delight. I loved the creepy atmosphere achieved in no small part by the wonderfully brooding ambient music, loved reading the various logs and watching/listening to past events, discovering the network of relationships on the station and that they didn't just handwave the reasoning behind the whole Neuromod stuff.

The architecture of the station was something I think they really managed to put together well without forgetting about essentials like food, water and living quarters that although completely unnecessary for a game to explain were a nice touch that made it feel truly lived in and designed by someone to be self-sufficient. I already mentioned the music but it's actually the whole sound design that's well done. For example the sound that plays after clearing the area gives you a nice feeling of accomplishment even long after you are already so powerful that enemies are just minor obstacles.

I have played a human powers-only my first time so I can't wait to get back into the game some months later because I heard they play pretty differently. I had zero knowledge of the game prior to playing and I so glad I avoided all the potential spoilers and videos because discovering it for yourself made is so much better for me.

A few pages back someone posted the text from Before I Play which while not revealing anything major would still take away some of the wonder of discovering it for yourself, I think. That's why I've avoided any spoilers in this post in case someone feels the same way.

TL;DR: If you like games with well-realized worlds and plenty of attention to detail that don't lack in other areas like music, sound or atmosphere, this is the game to play.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 10, 2017

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Samuringa posted:

It's amazing because if any studio came out and said "We're making System Shock 3", no one would believe it'd live to the legacy, and then Arkane comes out of nowhere with this and blows it out of the loving water.

How's the loading time on PC, btw? The last hours on the PS4 were a bit grating.

I guess I'm not a very representative sample because I have a NVMe drive. The loading times vere a few seconds tops throughout the whole game. I imagine regular SSDs are very similar, though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

John Murdoch posted:

I'm not sure why I wasn't expecting Watchdogs 1 to lose coherency as it rolled into the endgame, but...yeah. And then the game just kind of ends. Except it doesn't. But then it does.

I got it for free and I bowed out after like an hour because of the super lovely rubber banding and psychic police.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

John Murdoch posted:

It's almost like they can track your car via the ctOS. :ssh:

Seriously though, the wanted system is badly explained and poorly thought out. The scanning phase is boring because it's either easy but takes too long to go away or is borderline impossible and you might as well not bother trying to duck the scans. Getting scanned doesn't really matter because you're vastly better off getting into a police chase because it's incredibly easy to sabotage pursuers and then just drive out of the search radius (or just get on a train). It's slightly trickier at the very start of the game but once you start unlocking all of the hacking tricks suddenly every street has three different ways to end a chase.

The ctOS thing would make sense but if I’m not completely mistaken it’s not explained anywhere at the beginning of the game, right? And rubber banding is a problem
not only with the police. I was chasing some ordinary car with a stolen super sport and I swear that wreck of a car had better acceleration than me!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

John Murdoch posted:

Was only a joke. The rubber banding is an on and off thing. Just as often as the game decides "oop, it's too easy" and has the tailing target speed up for a few seconds you can catch up with them and pin them to a wall and just sit there while the hack completes. Also due to the rubber banding, other mechanics, and the fact that the driving model is kinda bad, you rarely actually want a sports car because raw speed will almost never matter whereas something that can take a few dings, won't spin out, and can turn on a dime is king.

Right :doh: Thanks for the info, I might give the game another go.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Even though I am a big fan of both Dark Souls and Dishonored, I didn't buy the sequels at release because both of the predecessors were sold in such a way that you were overpaying a lot in the end if you wanted all the DLC. Which is to say, I'm looking forward to buying Dishonored 2 Definitive Edition and Darks Souls 3 GOTY in the upcoming sale. :getin:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

exquisite tea posted:

Dishonored 2 has no DLC, and it + Death of the Outsider were bundled for $26 during the Black Friday sale.

I’m not sure what’s your point. There is no way to know at release whether a game will have DLC. Both Dishonored and Dark Souls 2 had 3 pieces of DLC and the latter even got re-release which still cost you 20 bucks just for a few more changes even if you already owned the base game and all the DLC.

The only reason I didn’t buy both during Black Friday is I just both Prey and was playing that. With Winter Sale just round the corner there was really need for me to buy it then.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Fargin Icehole posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF2y31Kt8KE

I loving love this song, it goes so well with the huddled masses of 2097 Rengkok south. Went really well when you're just walking around, seeing a crime scene.

Ruiner is good if you do a little bit of a grinding for points on previous points so you can have some fun.

That's pretty cool, I didn't know they hired such a prominent musician to do their OST.

e: apparently they didn't, it's from his 1994 album; still cool, though!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

admataY posted:

Anyone have any experience with ELEX ? Should I expect gothic 2 good junk or Risen 2 messy junk ?

It's decent enough, certainly feels more polished than Gothic 2 and actually adheres to modern standards and expectations, for example when it comes to control scheme. I thought the faction system was so far the most diverse in any of their games but also way more forced when it comes to characterization. If you like Gothics and Risens you'll like this, too, because it's quite literally an evolution of what the company's been making since Gothic 1 and any player familiar with their previous work will immediately recognize their common features, for better or worse.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

BexGu posted:

Heads up for any one that was looking at Dead Cells during the Winter Sale: The game is going to be moving to a $19.99 base price point after the winter sale is done. Right now the game is already one of the slickest platform rogue-likes around with even more features coming so you can't go wrong if that gene interest you.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dead-cells-getting-an-early-access-price-bump-in-january-devs-far-from-finishing-the-game/

If they just keep the game in EA forever I guess I'll never play it. But they haven't been on Steam too long so there's still a good chance they won't be another forever-early-access fuckup like Project Zomboid (5 years and counting, yay).

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
That’s what I heard about Sundered but YMMV.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Mutant Standard posted:

i really hate the enemy design in prey

like i think i get what they were trying to go for - maybe they're suppose to interdimensional beings that third dimensional species can't fully comprehend, but they end up coming off as really dumb and boring blob monsters.

Couldn't disagree more. Blob monsters were done before but I think Prey nailed them. Seems to me like incomprehensible horror is not what they were going for since the whole theme of the game is about the similarities between humans and them (even the basic monsters are called mimics!) and merging of the two.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
gently caress cryptocurrency mining, man.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

The Kins posted:

Just announced: Yume Nikki: Dream Diary, a 3D remake of the RPG Maker classic under the supervision of its reclusive creator, featuring stuff cut from the original. It'll be out on the 23rd of February for $20.

Dream Diary: Dream Diary

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I guess it makes me an entitled manbaby but I wish this Humble Monthly included both DLCs for Dark Souls 3 and not just one. They just can't help but keep selling it to people piece meal until the very end or something.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Griefor posted:

I think the revenue model of a lot of the big ticket stuff on the monthly is to sell the base game for cheaper than it has ever been (many early unlocks have been games previously only available at +), but through that increasing the market for DLC. I think if Humble wants to include all DLC a lot of those devs/publishers would have been a lot less eager to deal with them I expect.

It's not that I don't understand why, it's that I just don't wanna deal with piece meal DLC bullshit ever again.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Game is giving me, always, more female characters than males. I have no problem have one female in the team, but I just don't wanna play that game only with women. I wanna have men squad. Go F yourself with this for-feminist-discriminitaion-of-others... Even list in the barracks is ALWAYS 70-80% of female, rest are males. After.. I started game with (again) 3 women and 1 man. Stop. Uninstall. I am sick of this c*ap, when I am forced to play with women only, in situacion whe it doesn't fits. This game is so ridiculous because of that... I wanna see women around to world figting more than men and be happy about that and men reading news papers. And not having a problem with that. They will be quickly running back for peace and kitchen and men being protective 'cuz they are... men? Today world is F up comedy and theatre and crying for privilieges. Not saying that I am against it, but stop overreacting. Omfg. And I am gay. But this is too much. Game, with 1/4 of men.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
It was indeed an XCOM review, specifically the Enemy Within version on the Google Play store.

fake edit: maybe the enemy is the woman in all of us, makes you think

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
The graphics at actually pretty good even for 2018 but due to console limitations it’s impossible to see. This is from seeing some of the 4K shots that someone took while playing it in the emulator.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I think a new player has a close to zero chance of ever finishing a Dark Souls game without rolling. I don’t know specifically about DS3 because I only just started it but from playing all the other games in the series I know there are enemies and situations in which shield is completely useless either due to attacks going through it or missing the only piece of equipment that would help in that situation (funnily enough both apply to the Smelter Demon and its blue version later which can’t be easily cheesed with shield unless you have the Gyrm Greatshield). I mean you CAN but can a new player?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
From what I’ve heard Kingdom Come is super buggy and the world is largely empty and non-interactive but pretty, and the story is interesting and fun.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Ciaphas posted:

haha, scrolled past the YT preview and jesus i'd forgotten how oversize her bazongers were

Forget dual pistols, this is the true loss of the new Tomb Raider games

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Mechanically they're pretty different but (I guess not only for me) they feel like a Soulsgame which you cannot say for a lot of other games whose mechanics are much closer to the original games. Collecting currency that is lost upon death but can be retrieved from where you died, benches serving as a bonfire lookalike, enemies re-spawning when you die, the interconnected world (mainly a staple of the first Dark Souls, really), the general atmosphere of exploring a place that has been lost to some tragedy and the storytelling feels very close to the first game as well. Maybe I forgot about some things but those would be the major ones, I suppose.

Hollow Knight is not 2D Dark Souls but it comes pretty drat close without feeling derivative at all.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
The first four games are somewhat worth the $12 I'd say, never heard about the rest except for Lara Croft GO which is pretty boring.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

al-azad posted:

I don't have a 4K monitor but blurry pixels means whatever renderer they're using maxes out at some value (probably 1080p) and the rest is your monitor stretching it out to fit. The graphics should be sharp especially on a monitor which has a higher ppi than a TV.

Play Chrono Trigger on an emulator like Higan. Those squares are so sharp you could cut your finger on them.

I actually played some SNES games using Higan on a 32" 4K screen recently and I can say without a hint of irony that they looked really good for being 20+ year old games.

As a minor aside, Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei has really good music, drat. Good thing it was fan-translated so more people can see where Megami Tensei started as a series.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
What are good general gaming podcasts that don't focus on only one platform and don't go off on half hour tangents? I really liked Achievement Oriented but that one seems to have ended. The Level is okay but they don't have enough things to discuss. Giang Bombcast seems recommended a lot but I after trying it several times most of the episodes are about random stuff. I care mainly about PC, Nintendo and Playstation but I don't mind hearing about other gaming-related things.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Three Moves Ahead, Watch Out For Fireballs.

e: I recommend these because the games they covered are varied - but not in single podcasts. Every podcast tells you upfront what it's about, and they tend not to wander off on tangents much at all. Good commentary, and generally interesting analysis.

Oh, I believe the Watch Out For Fireballs dude is also the organizer behind the The Level (which I like but wish they hade more things to discuss weekly). I'll check it out and see if it suits my needs because I noticed one is more retro-oriented and the other is focusing on strategy games. I don't dislike either but first and foremost I want something that focuses on the current stuff with the rest on the side.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

No Cartridge is really good

Thanks, I'll give it a listen. In the description it mentions releasing stuff six times a week but the podcast itself (I looked it up using Pocket Casts on my phone) there are maybe like 2 episodes per week. Is that something that changed over the course of its existence or am I missing something?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

SirSamVimes posted:

Heh, another free game being sold for actual money on Stea- wait, they put it up for still free? Huh, that's neat.

I don't really see a problem with having a paid version on Steam to support the development. A lot of games do it while still keeping the free version around (TOME, Transcendence, Unreal World).

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I have to agree. I played about 15 hours of The Surge before getting bored but that was not the problem that made me drop it in the end. It's literally as if you could chop enemy's hand in Dark Souls to get their sword/mace/whatever. Unless your brain is completely broken you won't feel any compulsion to do it more than once. Especially since you can't sell loot in The Surge.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
So what's the spoiler-free word on Pillars of Eternity 2 so far? I know it literally unlocked a few hours ago but I'm curious.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
The shooting was pretty good but it had the most hilarious non-ending I've even seen in a game.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I like the Rage 2 trailer. As much as you can like something that doesn't really tell you anything about how the game will actually play, anyway. After Doom and Prey being really great I have moderate expectations that Rage 2 won't suck.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Ciaphas posted:

So semi-serious-sort-of question, do any of you try hard or do anything in particular to focus on finishing one game before moving on to the next

I know the Steam Backlog is real as hell for most people but having so many games on my plate and not being able to choose one is kinda daunting

I only buy things I want to play right now and only after I finished the previous game or refunded it or stopped playing it for good. I also don't buy mediocre games and multi-player games because they just clog up my backlog and make me feel like I got some chores to do.

The last point is more of an example of things I usually don't enjoy so it will vary from person to person. You have to know that if, for example like me, you don't enjoy puzzle games no matter how good, just don't buy them! Case in point, Talos Principle still sits in my library with like 20 minutes played.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 16, 2018

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
So apparently Dark Souls remastered is still tied to the frame rate but now it's 60 instead of the original 30. That means anything lower than 60 will make the game play slower.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Xenonauts is really bad even for an indie game, the graphics are decent, especially the 2D artwork-style backgrounds. The gameplay is stilted as hell, repetitive because of serious lack of content and slow.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Vampyr actually looks pretty decent if flawed in some areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lidwgHSddIQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
The company owner is human trash and I can't for the life of me understand why anyone with half of a brain doesn't do any research on them before signing up. When the Stardew Valley signed up with them I was really sad because he succeeded big time on his own and he doesn't need leeches like Chucklefish piggybacking off of his success.