Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Digirat posted:

it's an ancient perk called Low Profile that completely removes the soft time limit from the game in exchange for every area having a jump suppressor. Being able to take as long as you want in every area and not worry about charging from place to place until the rear end in a top hat lizards show up is great, and I started enjoying the game three times as much the moment I unlocked it. The downside is laughably small compared to the benefit and it really only has a risk of loving you over in the "too close to a star" natural hazards. it is a strict advantage everywhere else.

If you get the ancient perk (Ancient Navigator?) that lets you see ancient depots on the sector map, I would use it and go to every ancient depot you can until you get Low Profile. Ancient navigator was the first ancient perk I got which was really lucky since it let me get the other ancient perks faster

Yeah the only times taking a jump suppressor over an approaching fleet backfired was in specific scenarios (like you said, with the "star" hazard maps) or in places where the game wants to throw a poo poo ton of aggressive enemies at you from the get-go (this doesn't happen super often, but I've been in situations where I was immediately under fire from 7 or 8 interceptors and a Corvette from the moment I jumped in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Digirat posted:

Cloak's nice and all but you need to try the teleporter. it's my favorite equipment in the game and changes absolutely everything. It has 0 cooldown and you can make it drat cheap if you put 3 energy consumption mods on it, which are the only thing you can mod it with anyway. Just want to get to the next POI in the system quickly? Teleport a couple times and you're instantly there. Low on energy and still have more idiots to kill? Teleport away and leave them in the (space) dust. Just saw a bunch of blips of assholes about to drop into the system on top of you? Teleport 4km away and they won't even alert to you when they drop in. The expansion ship can use the teleporter too although I really don't like it as much as the scout.

I don't know if you can telefrag yourself but I've managed to keep it from happening so far, just watch the distance to your target and know how far your brand of teleporter will take you with each button press

Literally the first time I tested the teleporter, I wound up telefragging myself into an asteroid.

So be sure to avoid doing that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

So in Everspace I found the Ancients and after killing the guardian of the station or whatever instantly died. Did I gently caress myself out of something or was that supposed to happen? I was at full health and shields so I wasn't shot down or anything. The cutscene started then immediately cut to the KIA death screen. It was a pretty good run too.

If I'm understanding your situation correctly, no you didn't screw yourself out of anything--at least not permanently. What should happen after you defeat one of those Ancient "bosses" is for you to fly into the central alien structure (the one with the glyphs on it) where you'd obtain a modifier that can be used to enhance your craft on subsequent runs. If you died before retrieving that object, you'll get plenty of opportunities to try it again in future runs.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

kater posted:

I uninstalled Endless Legend. Man for a game that I've been wanting to play for years that was incredibly disappointing. Just constantly seesawing between boredom and frustration.

Out of curiosity, what bugged you the most about it? I'm not an Endless Legend advocate--I currently have it installed but I haven't actually taken the time to learn how to play it (yet)--but I am curious why people give up on it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

snoremac posted:

Any games out there like LISA the Painful or Undertale? I just played LtP and think it's a dang treasure.

Unfortunately I've never found anything quite like LISA the Painful (besides, I suppose, LISA the Joyful). Beyond the legacy inspirations of games like Mother 3, there really isn't anything quite like it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Huh I'd actually heard of Space Funeral, but I'd never looked too closely into it--nor had I seen this "OFF" game. Checking them both out now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Turd Herder posted:

So why is Battle Tech getting such mixed reviews. I have yet to play my copy of it but from what i've seen it looks great.

It seems to have a bevy of technical issues, from what I can tell. Lots of problems with widescreen support, fullscreen windowed, crashing/hang-ups, etc.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I'm curious now, how many wins have there been for casting big names in video games? I can think of Nimoy for Civ IV (and Seaman!)...and then uhhh.... :shrug: Oh, and specifically for voice work, because obviously stuff like Red Alert 3 was :discourse:

Weird, it's almost like you completely overlooked Sir Patrick Stewart (and Nimoy's captain) as the emperor in The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. :colbert:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Roluth posted:

Ehhhhhhhh... I'm still fairly negative on how the perks system works. You pick up scrolls during a run to get passives, and some of them are neutral or downright negative. Some of them are extremely drastic, and you can't see what it is before you pick it up. I don't think that any one of them is run ending, but some are certainly extremely annoying, and two or more at one time turns a run into an extremely frustrating experience. In fact, the best scroll in the game is the one that allows you to NOT pick up bad scrolls. If they took out the outright negative scrolls, I would be much happier with the game. At least in Ziggaurat you have a choice when you get new perks, and none of them are truly negative.

But to be 100% honest, the answer to "What is the best FPS Rougelite?" is "None of them". Ziggurat is still pretty mediocre, and while Immortal Redneck clears the bar on gunfeel, the perk system drags it down. When you have an option in the progression shop to get a random scroll for your next run, and an option to pay more to guarantee an actually GOOD scroll, something has gone wrong.

Eh, I have to disagree. I think the problems with the scrolls system of Immortal Redneck are generally exaggerated, and made by people who aren't entirely comfortable with FPS games and/or the unpredictability of Roguelites (at least from what I can tell on the Steam forums). I can honestly say that in 50+ hours of playing the game, only a couple of times did I find myself picking up a combination of scrolls that turned the game into an "extremely frustrating experience." The vast majority of the time, they just pushed me to modify my approach in a run, or to (temporarily) change the way I played.

I feel that there are several scrolls that need to be removed or significantly modified, like the "amnesia" scroll (which instantly makes the game more tedious by erasing your map) and the scroll that removes all of your weapons except for one (the general consensus is that in a game with 50+ weapons, it's kind of lame to be stuck with only one at any given moment).

But seriously, with the way you'd hear some people talking about scrolls, you'd think they turned your monitor off or permanently reversed your controls. There's certainly some lameness with specific scrolls, but as a system, I'd argue that it adds a lot of unpredictability and welcome challenge to the game. Plus, you know, you can just not pick them up if you dislike the system so much.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 6, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

I'd like to write a little bit about INFRA, as it turned out to be my largest gaming surprise of the last few years. Maybe someone else out there will like it as well and it isn't something that got much attention. It is a very low-key game, strongly reminding me of Uru: Ages Beyond Myst (more-so than any other Myst game) or the non-combat, atmospheric sections of the Metro 2033 series. Quiet exploration of abandoned and decayed industrial locations with a tinge of strangeness.

:words:

Thanks for sharing this with me. I'd never actually heard of this game before, but it seems right up my alley and I'm surprised to see that it came out over two years ago.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Xaris posted:

yes

and there's also Grim Dawn which is good, tho i have some issues and couldn't quite get sucked into it

I'm not a huge ARPG guy, but I tried to get into Grim Dawn and it seemed to be too easy. My understanding is that the "real" challenge comes on subsequent playthroughs, but I felt like I was spending hours just sleepwalking through various mobs and bosses, and it left me wishing that there was some built-in way to start on a higher difficulty, with X-amount of points to invest in building an appropriately leveled character for New Game+.

I'm actually not sure if the difficulty (or lack thereof) is a common thing for ARPGs to do because the last one I played was the original Diablo.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Morter posted:

So I like space games and dogfighting and stuff but most of my love for space games comes from exploring, Getting Cool Gear, and some amount of consistency. Freelancer and Elite: Dangerous, mainly.

I've been interested in Everspace, which is on sale now (at a historically low price) but I'm afraid that with the roguelike/constant death nature I'll be put off. Thoughts?

I loved Everspace + DLC. I think I put maybe a hundred hours into everything. There are a lot of "Roguelikes" and there are a lot of "Roguelites", but there are exponentially fewer 6-DoF variations of either category (and Everspace does it well). Like the other posters mentioned, dying during a run resets you to the beginning of your journey, but there's a ton of permanent progress that can be discovered, bought, and unlocked.

The DLC primarily adds a 4th ship (they're all have quite unique playstyles, so it's worth checking out each of them) plus a handful of new characters who you will occasionally present you with various sidequests throughout the game. DLC content is integrated seamlessly into the base game, so if you figure out that you enjoy it, it'll probably be worth getting the DLC installed sooner rather than later.

I think the biggest complaint I've seen directed at the game is the ever-looming threat of an enormous enemy fleet which, by default, will start appearing in most levels if you hang around for too long. However, there are ways to circumvent this--including an unlockable perk that prevents their appearance but imposes a separate malus on your run. Personally, I never felt like the enemy fleet was a problem.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

dmboogie posted:

everspace seems cool and looks pretty as hell but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to not get shot :smith:

my ship just feels so slow! i can't really do like, freespace-style dogfighting, and just trying to move erratically doesn't seem to be helping either

RBA Starblade posted:

The heavier ship with drones to fight for you felt way more fun to fly and play in Everspace, grind out 10k on easy and try that.

I think I spent half of my total playtime as the Gunship. Initially, I more or less disregarded the fact that it came with a front shield...probably because I didn't know if consumables were important, or if shields were crucial to survivability. I also didn't know how to avoid getting hit and, without conventional shields, die the death of a thousand small cuts by Sector 3.

Once I figured out that a well-upgraded (and well-timed deployment) turret and front shield can essentially render you invulnerable for the duration of the average dogfight, I think it became my favorite ship. I honestly like all of the ships, in reality--they're all perfectly serviceable once you figure out how they behave and what equipment they have access to--but the Gunship still remains my favorite.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

hey why does the loving in-app store just stop working every other day

The Steam app just seems like outdated garbage for me, regardless of the computer I'm using or the internet I'm connected to. It's not uncommon to try checking "activity" feed, only to get a blank page (even though server maintenance isn't taking place); often times the store will effectively freeze when a video on certain product pages fails to load, and the only way to get it working again is to restart Steam. It's generally lethargic, too.

It's only slightly faster and more serviceable than the in-game browser, which is basically rear end cancer.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Oh god, it finally happened. I got blindsided by the youth of today not knowing about esoterica from my own days of yore.

nooooo. :corsair:

In my day, we had a device that rendered images in only one color! And you were happy with it! Now imagine a game that eclipses the grandiosity of "Waterworld", and put it in stereoscopic 3D graphics--suffice to say, you didn't mind all of the red when you could practically feel the saltwater on your chapped lips. And your eyes, how they blurred and burned after thirty minutes! Yet you'd still resist taking turns with your friends, so you'd grit your teeth and fight through the pain like you were trying to see who could hold on to a hot coal the longest.

It's an intensity that goes unmatched to this very day.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 13, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

So semi-serious-sort-of question, do any of you try hard or do anything in particular to focus on finishing one game before moving on to the next

I know the Steam Backlog is real as hell for most people but having so many games on my plate and not being able to choose one is kinda daunting

Personally, I started organizing my Steam library by genre back when I owned maybe 200 games, and I've stayed on top of it ever since. One of those categories is "called "{QUEUE}", which pushes it to the top of the list and contains all of the games that I already own and really, really want to play (basically operating as a backlog).

Like some other posters have already said, I'm also very careful about what games I add to the library--I usually don't purchase Humble Bundles unless 70-80% are games that I legitimately want, and I pretty much never purchase anything just because it's heavily discounted. When a good Steam Sale comes around, I typically limit the number of games I purchase; as a result, games may sit on my wish/watchlist for 12-18 months before I actually buy them (rather than being purchased earlier at a higher price, and then sitting in my library indefinitely).

I think the problem a lot of people run in to is that they compulsively purchase games simply because they're 80-90% off, and rapidly accrue a library of games that is physically impossible to play through. I feel like this partially coincides with people who feel like Steam sales are increasingly uninteresting (to an extent, they are) because those users have quite literally purchased most games they have even a cursory interest in. I mean, nowadays it's not uncommon for me to come across profiles with 2k or 3k games, conservatively.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 16, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A few years back I started realizing that there wasn't any point in buying games I wouldn't play right away, so I cut way back on my purchasing. I barely have 207 games on Steam, and my "Finished" category is over 100 games long. That does include games I originally had on non-Steam platforms or hard media. It also includes two games which didn't finish, but decided were trash and not worth playing. I only got one Humble Bundle.

I've got categories for "Now Playing" and "Play Next" (games I'm replaying go into "Replaying" not "Now Playing"), although lately I've been adding more to Now Playing without getting existing games in that category to "finished". That's partly because I seem to only be able to give a game one month's attention before moving on - whether I finished it or not.

My wishlist is ranked, but I use it more as a thing to remind me to check that game out at some point and see if I still want it. Even when I get "this game is on sale!" notifications in my inbox, I look at them and think "am I interested in purchasing this right now?" and the answer is almost inevitably "I should really finish some other games instead," regardless of how good the deal is.

Yeah that's another thing I started doing, was ranking items on my watch/wishlist and occasionally purging it of things it turns out I don't have a strong interest in. It makes it a lot easier to figure out what I've been wanting to buy when sales come around.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Morter posted:

Good Avatar/Post combo

That's the first thing I thought, too.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

why didn't you just use depressurizer?

Yeah and why don't I just hire a chef to cook my food for me? And a handmaid to raise my child for me?

Because it's important to handle some things yourself, and this is one of those things. Mode 7 probably has thrice the appreciation and understanding for his Steam Library compared to what he would have if he had simply installed some spyware that secretly watched him while he played Bad Rats.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

I can’t tell if you unironically thought these were good comparisons to maintaining a steam library but I am laughing either way.

The truth is that I would be sadder if somebody killed my Steam Library than if somebody killed a hypothetical child I owned. :)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The Kins posted:

Valve's increasingly touchy about games that have official "uncensor patches" elsewhere, most likely due to anti-porn laws in Washington State.

I wonder what's going to happen with that "Agony" game, then. It seems like (from a cursory glance) 60-70% of their audience is buying it for the nudity, and foams at the mouth at any hint of reeling things back.

That being said, I think it's stupid to be upset over nudity in a game, but ambivalent to blowing somebody's head off. That's not exactly a novel position, though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I can't believe nobody's figured out that Steam is just trying to push out the competition before they swoop in with a queer VN series of their own. They want to be the only game in town. The top banana.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

PlushCow posted:

I've tried to get into a couple others this weekend, Cryptark and Brigador. Cryptark isnt really grabbing me but Brigador Ill give more time before I make a decision. There's other poo poo I should play but now I'm thinking about getting back into World of Warcraft and seeing all the poo poo I missed before the new expansion :negative:

I ended up really enjoying Cryptark (haven't installed Brigador yet) but I can see where it may not be the easiest game to get into. For a lot of people, a mission can go sideways very fast if you encounter a hulk with a lot of redundant systems like shields, back-ups, etc.--or the perfectly unfriendly combination of systems that makes it very difficult to get the job done.

That being said, I love the idea of carefully putting together a suit/load-out and executing a perfect mission. Break in through this door, plant a remote-detonated nuke on this system, stealth around and quietly kill a couple of drone factories, and then coordinate attacking two systems simultaneously with the help of the previously planted nuke. I really like the variety of suits, weapons, and items--there's just enough "milsim" to them that feel violent and punchy.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I guess I was really lucky because I binged my way through all three of the most recent Shadowrun games and had zero CTDs (that I can remember) and no notable bugs. In fact, my experience was so uneventful that I was surprised when I heard how people were encountering enough problems to say something about it. I spent a lot of time on a couple of them too, apparently--47 and 63 hours on Dragonfall and Hong Kong, respectively--so I would have figured I'd see something in that time frame.

:iiam:

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 22, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

She Bangs the Drums posted:

Also Valve being characterized as a Start-up when it is over a decade old...

That's understating it. Valve's been around for 22 years, and Steam's been around for almost 15.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

wut

also thats not even dragon age origins, its the character creator

Yeah mine recommended a few of the same games (and "games") as you, including a few that I've already played and beaten--while seemingly ignoring a few that I've bought within the last six months, but haven't played yet. Very odd.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

There's an event? I haven't been on my computer today and the store tab in the Steam app looks normal, would anyone mind explaining the event being referred to here?

Have you recently reset your app? I can't speak from personal experience, but I've often noted that if Steam is open while the store rolls over into a sale or event, it won't update until I exit and reload.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I have 356 games on a 13+ year old account, despite using it all of the time and averaging 50-70 hours/2 weeks. I'd like to think of my profile/library as a temple, and every junk game I add to that temple corrupts it like yet another unqualified lover rooting around in my body. The rest of you are sick, with these 5k+ libraries of garbage. You need the lord god.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Awesome! posted:

you know you can hide any game you want right?

Look, I may be able to hide the copy of Duke Nukem Forever that is in my library, but it's no better than hiding a mole on my body with a bandaid. I still know it's there, and it's gonna kill me one day, and the last time I demanded that Steam remove it from my library (with force) they wrote back and said "No."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Hollandia posted:

Where do you find the Steam account creation date?

Enhanced Steam should tell you what car you could have bought with your vidya games :10bux:

I'm not entirely sure what the "proper" way is, but if you go on your profile and find the badge awarded to you for X-years of service, hovering your cursor over that badge should tell you the day, month, and year the account was set up.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Even his other game, a platformer called "Straima", is initially pretty obtuse and filled with weird dialogue delivered by monstrous acid-trip visages. But...a pretty decent platformer when you get down to it. Definitely going to pick up Skelly Selest in the next couple of days.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Too Shy Guy posted:

Someone sanity check something for me about the end of BioShock Infinite: Is there any hint or indication whatsoever that Comstock and DeWitt are the same person before multi-lizabeth straight tells you at the very very end?

I'm just kind of sitting here in shock that, of all the things Burial at Sea could be about, it's that

As somebody who just recently finished Infinite + DLC... beyond conjecture, I don't think so?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Nothing you could actually figure out I think, but the nosebleeds are the first hint, then there's Comstock making a huge deal about being at Wounded Knee while DeWitt going "I know he didn't do all that because I was there!".

Yeah actually I think your Wounded Knee example is probably the biggest clue. I interpreted it completely differently when I was playing the game, though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Furious Lobster posted:

Nioh's on sale right now and I've been told that such titles won't have discounts during the bigger sales?

This can definitely happen. A couple of years ago, I noticed that the Metro Redux bundle was on sale in the middle of the week--but since a Steam Sale was just a few days away, I figured I'd wait to see how much more of a discount it would get. The price actually went up during the Steam Sale. That's definitely not the only time I've seen that happen, either.

It used to be, during the madness of earlier Steam Sales (with flash 8-hour deals and voting on games to discount) that you'd really be best off waiting for a Steam Sale...but ever since they got rid of most of that, it only seems better to wait for a Steam Sale if you plan on buying a bunch of moderately discounted games (as opposed to a single deeply discounted game during a midweek promotion).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah it'll likely involve the "mystery boxes" that have appeared in various inventories, as well as things to earn (and level-up) a sale-themed badge. The whole ritual of voting on sales, flash sales, teams, mini-games, etc. has basically been expunged from the sales. Nowadays if you see something you want to buy on Day #1, you might as well purchase it immediately because there's basically zero chance of it getting cheaper before the end of the sale. It's actually kind of boring and the 10-14 day length of the sales seems somewhat unnecessary, given the static discounts.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 21, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Palpek posted:

Do people want a sale thread this year or just gently caress it, let the Steam thread handle all of it? I thought it was always good if only to have recommendation lists in the OP and to split the traffic but maybe it's not really needed as sales aren't that big of a deal anymore.

Personally I'd probably just keep it in this thread. You used to have to answer a lot of questions on things like flash sales, when to wait/when to purchase, etc. so it made more sense to split off with a temporary thread. Nowadays it seems reasonable enough to keep it to this thread.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I see why they stick to the two week period for one easy reason: paychecks.

That's the only thing I can think of, honestly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Griefor posted:

It's always just the first 15-30 minutes of the big sales, their capacity is fine at all other times. Of course if I recall correctly, the last time they had a game like this the servers promptly died for several hours rather than just 30 minutes.

Nah, where I live it's routinely unstable and inaccessible for the first 2-3 hours. Like right now I can't even get into the store, and it's been 45 minutes since the sale launched.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone able to recommend Spellforce 3 and/or My Time at Portia?

The former looks pretty cool, and I remember early reviews being positive, but I see it has "mixed reviews" on steam. The latter was reasonable fun in the demo, but I'm wondering how far long it has come in EA.

I can't vouch for My Time at Portia, precisely, but I have been subscribed to its news updates for a long time now and it seems like they've been pushing out pretty sizable updates (that are well-received, if the comments section is to be believed) on a regular basis. If you played the demo 8 or 9 months ago it looks like there's a bunch more stuff that's been added in the interim.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Samuringa posted:

I'm having a weird issue with Everspace. Since it has the options of displaying DS4 icons, I plugged mine, opened Steam on Big Screen mode, activated it and whatnot. The game recognizes it, except the Right Stick. It still somewhat works, I can move my ship, but it won't Invert my Y-Axis for example, and when I use the Right Stick during the Tutorial it changes the icons to Windows keys as if I had pressed one of them. I'm downloading DS4Windows right now just in case, even though I'm reading it's not necessary anymore, because I don't know what the game could possibly have that it specifically doesn't recognize this stick.

Samuringa posted:

Forget it, it does the same with the 360 controller so I'm checking the game Forums for fixes.

Hmmm interesting...for what it's worth, I played the entirety of Everspace on a DS4 through DS4Windows without any issues, so hopefully you have better luck with that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Det_no posted:

Yes and no. Yes because some of the language used in describing skills/skill interactions and other mechanics is extremely convoluted and/or vague.

No because the game ain't really that hard in normal difficulty.

Seriously. Normal difficulty was just way too easy for me, even with the box checked to increase the difficulty somewhat (forget what it was called). I've temporarily given up on the game because I was like level 40 and still sleepwalking through every single encounter. I think I'll give it another shot when I'm really craving an ARPG.

I'm not really sure why a lot of ARPGs/RPGs with multiple playthroughs insist on Run #1 being on the lowest difficulty, so it can waste your time until you unlock the 2nd or 3rd run where the "real" fun begins. Borderlands 2 is another game that comes to mind. I mean, at least games like Dark Souls actively tries to push your poo poo in, even in New Game.