Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Reality Loser posted:

I'm selling some stuff using the mobile app, and it's making me confirm my listings... using the app :yum: How did steam get this stupid.

Credit card/account fraud was getting to the point where it might affect Valve's relationship with the credit card companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I don't even know how the gently caress this poo poo works now. I have the app on my phone and I signed in using the security poo poo from it and I still have to wait a week or two for things to get listed?

That happens any time you make a change to your Steam account security. Don't uninstall the app or you'll be waiting 2 weeks to settle in again.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Reality Loser posted:

It's not two factor authentication if I'm selling from the app, and then confirming from the app, is what I'm trying to say.

Yes but you're associating Steam with a real phone number and if you have it turned on the phone is part of the 2-factor for your account. Maybe it doesn't make perfect sense but they did state the reason they implemented all this bullshit was to put up barriers to trade scams and credit card fraud. They want to make sure it's really you putting up that $300 CS:GO skin on the market and not some third-world scammer that stole the account. The fact that it makes it a PITA to sell your $0.10 trading card is just an unintended side effect.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yami Fenrir posted:

People still look at review scores? I thought people realized they were worthless by now.

I don't. I mean, I'd be wary of anything that was lower than 70% but anything above that is probably very playable and just down to personal taste how fun it is. A lot of games I'm very interested in get mediocre scores and a lot of things I don't care about get very high scores.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

People seem to have more complaints about HOI4 so there's that to think about.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

I'm just going to assume it's 50% because it's 0% "chance" the first purchase and 100% "chance" on the second. That's how percents work, right?

Can you actually get 2 copies if you buy two 50/50 keys, because it sounds like you get one 'guaranteed' copy and a random key, all for the low low price of $5 above retail

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Nope, buying two gets you the game, guaranteed, and the extra key. How much is pubg normally?

Like $30 in the US

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I want to play a game with a lot of fiddly mechanics and maybe some emergent gameplay. Something like Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Crusader Kings 2, or even a big MMO style RPG with a lot of subsystems like Skyrim or something. Something that really triggers my inner autistic train child. What do you got for me, Steam Thread?

There's no such thing as too huge and janky for me.

Dominions 5? Factorio?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I think Dark Souls pretty much takes the cake for games that have to be played on a gamepad.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Ok so I have a problem.

Every. Single. Time. I try to run any game on Steam... any game, I get a UAC prompt for Steamservice.exe to run as an admin with an admin account password prompt. Selecting "Always run as administrator" doesn't work because it still demands a password for running as an administrator.

I know the admin creds on my computer but I always work from a standard user account for obvious reasons.
In Windows 10, is there a way to somehow store the admininstrator account name and password for a single exe file, then have Windows just automatically run the file as that account and fill in those account creds just for that specific executable every time it's run?

Don't run everything from a standard user account? I don't think that's really necessary for security because anything trying to make weird changes will give you a UAC prompt even as local admin.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

I'm not an authority on computer security but this feels like it's bad advice. Aren't there risks to always being logged in on an admin account?

It's not like running as root in Linux. You still get UAC prompts for making important changes and Windows is still going to safeguard you from deleting critical files. Running as a normal user is just an increase in hassle for marginal benefit when you're talking about your gaming desktop.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

if you only have a single user account on windows, it's an administrator account, which is not the same as Running As Administrator.

Ah, I didn't know there was a difference since it says 'Administrator' under my username. I do indeed only have a single user account, never had any problems that way.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 16, 2018

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What exactly is the incentive for publishers to use a platform that lets users resell their used games?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

boar guy posted:

the cryptocurrency miner you agree to let them install in exchange for the privilege

It just seems fundamentally flawed on like a really basic level. No one is going to use the store without real games to buy and there's a disincentive for publishers to sell their game there even beyond the fact that it's additional work to sell their game there.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I never buy anything from GMG anymore because some piddling little discount isn't worth giving up Steam refunds for.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think I gave up without ever beating the tutorial in Driver.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

bamhand posted:

Why would I care about what Facebook knows about my internet habits?

Because they can sell the information on to whoever they want for whatever use they want. I don't volunteer any more information than necessary to Facebook.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Believe it or not I actually signed up for Monthly just to get Civ VI. I've been wanting to try it and $12 is as about as much as I'm willing to pay for it given its reputation.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Delsaber posted:

Is Europa Universalis 4 good on its own? $10 for the base game is tempting but my interest will probably drop a lot if it needs the expansions to be worthwhile.

I dunno, should be okay but then again people don't just buy the base game for Paradox games and then call it a day.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wish they'd hurry up and release the general Steam UI revamp.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

what if into the breach is bad

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think you guys give the alt-right too much credit. The game has a lot of appeal outside that audience and that's why it's selling well. A lot of people probably don't even know about the drama, I never saw any of it mentioned outside of here.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You sure they're launching from EA in a week, they have a public beta branch available so they might just mean the latest update is going from that branch to the 'regular' client...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Whatever happened to Duel of the Planeswalkers? They were coming out pretty regularly and then sorta stopped.

Replaced with Magic Duels which lasted a few years and now Magic: Arena which is a hearthstone competitor with all the cards going forward but no old cards.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Seems like a really horrible idea. I don't know how an iPhone screen is supposed to compete with kb/m.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

Anybody here playing SYNTHETIK?

It's actually pretty fun, and I've been burned out on alot of roguelikes.

I bought it but haven't had a chance to try it yet, it looked pretty interesting. I bought Soulblight at the same time which seems to be getting panned.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is anyone in here playing Cabals? I'm finding it to be a fascinating mixture of card-game and small-scale tactical game. Matchmaking takes a bit, but it feels really satisfying to play.

Pretty sure this is an old-rear end mobile game despite the early access tag.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The campaign from Northgard is leaving mixed impressions. I did the first mission which is basically 'Send a scout to find the shoreline and build a dock' which like typical tutorial fodder except it somehow ended up taking like an hour because of the two dozen intermediary steps to get there and all the different little timers you need to wait for.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

:lol: I thought that game was about how progressive and inclusive it is?

People can be lovely, hypocritical, etc.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Be extremely wary of a white dude that is overly vocal to a boastful degree about being an ally to women or other minorities, they're probably some kind of molester. Just look at Joss Whedon for example.

There are hypocrites on all sides of the political spectrum. I don't think the solution is to be wary of everyone that claims to believe in something.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was surprised to find out Slay the Spire has sold like 3x as many copies as Into The Breach.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Hasn't Slay the Spire also been out (in EA) longer than Into the Breach has?

I guess the part that surprises me is that Into The Breach has only been a very modest hit. I guess the indie landscape is very different compared to what it was when FTL was released.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think they tried to make another game before Prison Architect but ended up having to cancel it several years into development.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sometimes I pause downloads because I want to play a multiplayer game and 90 minutes later my ping goes to 1000 and I discover it spontaneously started downloading again.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wow, this sucks rear end. I use services like Steamspy all the time when I'm curious how much a game sold or how many people are playing it right now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not really sure who the new privacy settings are supposed to benefit.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I decided to look at Snake Pass on the Steam store and thought 'Hey, that looks cute' and then I'm like 'What the gently caress, I can't wishlist it? What's going on?' Turns out I already owned it somehow, gently caress yeah.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

5-6 hours isn't excessively long for a roguelike. I'd say that's roughly average.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

U.T. Raptor posted:

steamthread.txt

It was bound to happen at some point with 336 Steam games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ulio posted:

Ff is moba lingo for Forfeit, didn't know the term for foot fetish was foot loving good to know.

It stands for Finish Fast in Dota at least.