Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Xaris posted:

Has anyone tried Foxhole? I've been reminiscing and being nostalgic about good times playing Infantry Online in 00-02 and was sad that we'd probably never get another real top-down shooter that was even slightly popular again but this looks promising (minus lack of jetpacks, masers, exoskeletons, infiltrators, solo medic 30k bounty runs). Looks pretty good, I think I might give it a go despite being early-access still, just wondering if anyone else has any insight into it.

I tried it out a bit before returning it because I liked the premise. Like players say, you can immediately drop in and start helping out your team by way of combat, supply running, resource gathering. That said, I gave it up because there was a lot of busy-work to be done most of the times, and in order to be really helpful, you should be using a headset and communicating. But all in all, I found there was way too much downtime, and resource gathering/ferrying materials felt more like a job than an actual game. Theres a dedicated Foxhole thread here in Games where you can get varied and better opinions, but that's my 0.02c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Just bought Tower Unite and its cool and good, but the server populations are rather low and considering its still alpha, could potentially be DOA by the time it actually releases?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Pretty much every AAA singleplayer game I've played in the past year has been pretty to look at, but completely uninspired in gameplay and a predictable hollywood-esque storyline.

Not necessarily bad games, but the second I think "I've played this before", it falls deep into the backlog.

I wish I was a console gamer in 2016-2017. Breath of The Wild looks pretty sick and so does Horizon.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Andrast posted:

Well made difficulty settings can solve this problem. Bayonetta has a ton of depth but I don't think anyone is going to have trouble with the easiest setting in that game, where the game almost plays itself.

But again, doing good difficulty settings is probably a ton of effort.

Even though I like being a dumb tryhard by playing games on high difficulties for ~nerd cred~, I'm really happy to see a trend towards "Storyline Mode" difficulty settings. A buddy of mine was interested in playing The Witcher 3 after seeing me play for a while, but has 0 competency at gaming. He didn't do so well on the default difficulty, so we switched it to the lowest, and from there he was able to experience the joys of that game without having to worry about combat so much. Videogames are cool and good, and I think its cool when you can get people who normally play candy crush into playing something a bit more involved, even if they don't go neck-deep into stats and mechanics.

I think the problem with dumb AAA games is not the difficulty, but the absolutely mortal fear of risk. I think its only gotten worse now that AAA games have sky-high production values. I cant blame devs and publishers for wanting to play on the safe side when dropping huge amounts of resources into a game, but I also cant blame gamers for reflexively ignoring 2017 sci-fi milshooter action game with cyan/orange cover art.

e: also I dropped like 10 hours into BF4 this weekend so maybe take my opinions with a grain of salt.

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 20, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Luminaflare posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is up with these things? I went to a couple of physical stores this weekend and at least one wall would be lined with these things.

I like how Funkopop messed up with the most basic aspect of its PacMan rendition.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I think a big part of "management" that PC is lacking are a bunch of limiting scenarios where you have to be creative. Some sort of constraint or limiting factor worked well in RCT1. (Or my favorite, Arid Heights, where you had unlimited cash but had to fight the temptation to make a grand, disjointed park, and rather build slowly).

PC is a cool and good game but I don't think I can binge it again without a bunch of lovingly crafted scenarios.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Hey so i have a hard time feeling anything but boredom when I play most AAA FPS games. Everything is pretty dull and I'm pretty much pretty much ready to toss the genre aside.

But holy moly Prey is a LOT of fun and for some unexplainable reason I feel completely absorbed into it. This is also probably me being dumb but there's this unexplainable familiarity to Half Life 2. Despite it being a linear game, there's so many different ways to go about doing things. Difficulty is pretty consistent so you're not curb-stomping everything 6 hours in. I'm cautiously optimistic that the game won't throw me a rotten egg of an ending.

I forgot what Good Story Driven Games feel like. Is this even real?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
also should I scroll up and read what terrible thing thing Rimworld guy said/did? Or should I assume he's like many video-game related people where they grow up in some upper class white suburbia and thus are really bad at societal issues?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Games For Windows Live was the only service that made it much easier to pirate a game since legitimate versions had awful hoops to jump through. Pretty shocking level of incompetence there.

Unrelated to GFWL, I gotta hand it to EA for making it undesirable to pirate The Sims 4. If you connect to their severs in-game, you can seamlessly download houses, individual rooms, sims and objects from one giant community browser. This isn't an essential part of the game; you do all your building and simming offline if you have a pirated version. But the browser is such a nice quality of life feature improvement. You might want to pirate an expansion pack, but now your legitimate base game is locked out of paid features.

I guess you can argue all day about the virtues and problems of DRM and whether it protects sales, but EA has come a long way toward enticing players to buy a game, instead of the terrible mid 2000s practices where Spore had some lifetime limit of 5 installations :pwn:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Phlegmish posted:

e: I do realize there's no accounting for these things, I bounced off of the Bioshock series pretty hard, even though it's so critically acclaimed. The only one I finished is Infinite, which goons love to poo poo on.

Bioshock infinite convinced me the series was originally meant to take place in the floating islands of racist Americaland, and the two other titles were weird & inferior spinoffs. Infinite's ending was kinda played out and groanworthy, but that was the wildest ride.

re pillars: seems to be everything I wanted in a CRPG. But somehow it forgot to be interesting.

buglord fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 4, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
All my GFWL games on Steam got patched automatically. I can dark souls in peace now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

Also you can use a sweet nerf gun to open several locked areas

w

what

are you kidding me

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Kibayasu posted:

If he is talking about cystoids throwing a random box or anything else that happens to be nearby is also effective.

They're most annoying when you're in a Zero G area where the helmet cuts off your peripheral vision and you're having to do inverted 360s since they can float behind you in all directions. Yeah they're trivially easy to dispatch but by late game they're a speed bump annoyance when flying.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
For being in faux-alpha, Rimworld is really good. The caravan mechanics need some fleshing out, but it's basically a feature complete game. I'd recommend it to anyone who wanted to play dwarf fortress but were turned off by the obscene learning curve and calculator graphics.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

skeletronics posted:

I started Prey on hard and don't regret it
Samesies. Hard is borderline annoying starting out because kinetic attacks from Phantoms shatter you extremely easy. On the other hand, I still think its a viable difficulty level because clearing a room in a roundabout way is a lot of fun.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
The last leg of the game was tedious, yeah. My character was developed enough to handle all them, but I also had enough health and speed upgrades that it was way less tedious just to zoom past them while chugging down apples.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Horizon Zero Dawn PC port when

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Anyone play Dead By Daylight?I forgot why I passed it up originally. I picked it up after trying it during last week's free-week.

It's a 4 against 1 survival game, but it actually feels fairly balanced and enjoyable. Survivors are trapped in some area/stage, where they have to escape by opening up one of two exit gates. Before they can open the gates, they have to power 5 generators scattered around the map. The killer, on a team of his/her own, has to sacrifice survivors to the sky gods in a pretty involved ritual manner. Game ends when the map is cleared of survivors (whether they leave by the release of death or by gate/hatch). There's a lot of little design decisions which prevent poor play on both teams. Wildlife loudly follow around survivors which camp in areas. There's 2 exit gates and 7 generators, so the killer cant feasibly hold the objectives captive (like playground kids playing freeze tag).

I dunno, it feels like a really well rounded game and pulling off daring escapes incredibly rewarding. The pubbie community is actually great too. Plenty of times, you'll get players that are in a position to escape and win the match, but instead risk their lives helping someone out across the map. Good game is good.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah I figured they were doing it to get points. But it's a good system!

I played as a killer and pretended to be AFK up to the point where all 4 survivors were running around me and touching me with gestures. It was incredibly funny to suddenly strike the unfortunate person who got too close.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I bought wolfenstein TNO because the trailer for the new one looked sick. It's really fun. Does it stay good? I hope it stays good.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
why does wolfenstein TNO guy whisper creepily to himself all the time

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

The Joe Man posted:

Don't you remember all of the constant armchair philosophy and unnecessary introspective monologues while finding toys for a retarded man from the original Wolf3D?

It's a callback to that classic gameplay.

that came out before i was born

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I bought multiple copies of the bundle because I unironically love Wurm Online and want as many friends as possible to get into it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

The Steam Link is apparently 90% off

There's a shipping charge though. Its like $13 to get it to your front door.

e: the incredibly first world problem, but still a problem nonetheless, of not wanting anything during a Steam sale :negative:

buglord fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 23, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How is Kerbal Space Program now? I know they have a demo of a super old version, and it turned me off because it was so unpolished and the tutorial was hard to follow.

Is it easier to get into now? Judging by the steam reviews, the game is digital crack. But I don't want to browse youtube for tutorial videos to play a game; I already own enough Paradox games as it is.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

pmchem posted:

What are the best japanese games / rpgs on sale?

What’s the best Japanese games/rpgs for someone generally allergic to :swoon:anime:swoon:

Like I can play it in a living room and it doesn’t resemble doki doki literature club. Basically, I want an anime gateway drug because I feel like I’m missing out with good Japanese games. I already own dark souls, that emo robot baby got backup drive game, and dragons dogma.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How in the world do you buy individual episodes of Hitman 2016?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

I think there was a dude a few pages back that had a snowmobile accident a while back and broke his arm and hand, he was asking for some stuff to play with that in mind.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
No answer on if Hitman 2016 can be bought in episodic pieces? I’m gunshy about dropping 60 for the bundle which can’t be parted, seemingly

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

The Kins posted:

They removed the a-la-carte option a while after the final episode was released. The free demo contains the two small tutorial missions along with all their side-challenges, so you can get enough of a taste to know whether you want more.

Gotcha. So its not really on sale then is it? $60 for the full pack. Steam says -20%, but I get the impression that only refers to the saving of buying in a bundle, not due to any sale.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

i cackle like a hyena every time I see this. Farcry 2 has been my favorite farcry but the game tries so hard for me to hate it, and succeeds. One too many mechanics that were slightly infuriating because they had bad values (Guns decay incredibly fast, AI will follow you for miles without giving up, cleared outposts repopulate too quickly, unholy amounts of driving because fast travel doesnt exist, malaria getting old half an hour in...)

I'd buy the heck out of a remaster/directors cut version where they fixed the worst offenses.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
any tips for deus ex hr directors cut? im hateplaying it just to get it out of the way..

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Immediately after that I played through Prey and finished it in a week and half, if you haven't played that I would start that instead.
Yeah I played Prey to completion first, and it like the first incredible non-Paradox-map-game, game ive played in at least two years.

Meanwhile im also playing Night in the woods and its easily the most charming game ive played since stardew valley.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How in the world do I save in EYE Divine Cybermancy? I've restarted a mission 3 times now because my progress isnt saved when I leave.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Accordion Man posted:

Gain brozouf.

I tried hacking some dude through a wall but he hacked me instead and I was running around with some smiley face taunting me for 5 minutes until I figured out I can hack myself. Then an ATM killed me. The game has serious jank, some which seems intended and unintended. But despite looking like a PS2 game, the music and setting is atmospheric as hell.

Any recommendations for other super-atmospheric games? I played Stalker for hundreds of hours too, probably the most immersive FPS I’ve played of all time.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I feel like theres an entire goldmine of videos out there of people trolling these serious dudes. I vaguely remember some dude finding a way to kamikaze other players, but this was eons ago.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
my summer car isnt on finnish sale :smith:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Despite The Division feeling like a conservative American’s wet dream, this has been a lot more fun than Destiny 2 currently is. I really can’t explain why despite the gameplay being very similar on the surface

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Carecat posted:

The Division is a better game but the combat isn't as fun, it's more difficult, the theme park nature and lack of interaction/variety feel more obvious in a real world setting and there's nothing very exciting about the exotic gear.

They are limited due to the realistic setting but copying Guild Wars 2 and making the world way more dynamic, with changing territory and world events would have been more interesting instead of patrols of mobs and dungeons. The Dark Zone could have been a few years ahead of PUBG but the combat doesn't feel as satisfying and it's more unbalanced.
I guess the opposite is true in my experience with Destiny. I dont see nearly enough "modern day" RPG type games so its an easier sell for me. All the destiny 2 guns felt like generic scifi guns, but also I totally get that having 3 variations of an AK-74 in this gunporn game isnt exactly a good counterargument. I ended up getting the game for $15 which will be a fair tradeoff provided it keeps me occupied for the next few weeks.

Some of the worldbuilding and backstory feels kinda stupid and poorly thought out at times, but maybe, like you said, it sticks out more because of the 2017 america setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I feel like Burnout Paradise went too far with the open world and instead it just sort of distills the the fun instead of adding to it. Also that horrible DJ makes the game several magnitudes worse than it already is.