Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Xander77 posted:

It's the new cool word for Far Cry 4, which is totally going to catch on any day now.

I ended up liking Far Cry Primal a hell of a lot more then Far Cry 4 by the by. Maybe try that one out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Far Cry 4 Brotherhood (I'm still trying to make that happen):

I just played through a mission from Longinus that sent me into the Himalayas (a separate location you teleport to by E-ing a Sherpa).

Even though it was marked with an L on the map, it apparently didn't count for "seek and complete 1 Longinus mission (marked with an L) to be eligible for this upgrade".

The moment it was finished, three more missions popped up within walking distance.

The first one was from Hurk. It was about stealing a monkey idol... in the Himalayas.

And the next mission was about stealing a Blood Ruby from a mine... in the Himalayas. And was hard as gently caress, and probably intended to be completed later in the game.

One chance to guess where the final new mission wanted me to go.

The game loves to constrict what you can and can't do any time there's a mission happening, but it completely fails to suggest a reasonable mission / free roam progression. I know people hate tutorials, but introducing a new activity every few missions would have made sense.

Also, AJ is amazingly goddamned stupid and personality free.

Just go play Primal, it fixes all the problems of 4.

Main dude is fine, because he doesn't have a story to tell and fits the role. He's still pretty lite character wise, but he has more personality then AJ and a better personality then Brody.

Side characters are actually largely great, including the dudes I thought I'd hate. I legitimately liked a lot of the story stuff because the side characters actually felt unique to be around. They stopped going so hard into the "wacky" characters and made dudes that are unique but still fun to be around.

Story stuff stops trying to be fancy, you are cavemen, go loving MURDER the other cavemen. Also the other cavemen might be cannibals and crazy cultists, all the more reason to commit murder.

Pets are fun and help in combat.

Combat feels smoother, even with the focus on melee. The actual initial melee stuff feels a bit off because none of the weapons have much weight initially/break super easily, but by midgame the flow is really good. Throwing bee bombs constantly, using your owl to tear out dudes eyes, throwing flaming spears to terrify the enemy, bringing in bears and poo poo. Once you get the 2handed clubs plus the other flow related stuff the combat feels great, as you are largely just knocking tons of dudes around and messing them up with bees. Or you can just use the rapidfire bow which is pretty much a machinegun anyway.

Shockingly there are only like 2 dream sequences, and both aren't FC3/4 style dream sequences but end up being more like flying/running things instead where you roleplay your owl to learn about owls.

The nighttime stuff is great, especially on survival. You basically can't go out at night because the creatures of the forest are large and view humans as a tasty treat. If you do go out, it's terrifying, but the enemy is also really easy to beat in terms of their outposts.

It cuts all the fat off around the edges of Far Cry and just refines the good stuff. It's no GOTY epic tale or anything, but if you just want to play Far Cry and conquer outposts and murder dudes it's probably the best of the 3.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Xander77 posted:

B-but... you still get to climb caveman towers to light beacons or something, right? I can no longer imagine a proper FC experience without that very important and rewarding activity.

Anyone who actually played through FC:B - how the hell do I stealth outposts with hunters in them? There are always two of them covering each other, they spot me the moment I try to stealth or if I kill anyone (particularly the other hunter), they charm any animal I try to send in, and they fade from the radar and pop up behind me the moment I try to stealth-murder the places where they are not (I swear those fuckers have super hearing or something)

There are no towers. You find poo poo by exploring. If I remember right, most side stuff gets popped up when you capture the outpost.

There are bonfires, but those are more fast travel spots/places to survive the nights at. You get the weird pan around camera thing when you light them, but nothing is revealed nearby, you just can hide from the MANY SABERTOOTH TIGERS that are probably in the woods nearby.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Open ended be damned. BJ is BJ. You think something as minor as a nuclear strike on his location would be enough to stop him?

He operates under Doomguy rules yo. 90's action heroes don't stop for nothing.

e: Also TNO literally has a little ending tidbit where you as BJ hear the helicopter turning back around to fly into the induction zone to grab you. Of course you survive.

Now surviving WELL is another story. You start TNC in a wheelchair barely able to function because of the blast, and it looks like you either have to get a new body through some weird science poo poo or taking the magic suit as your options for 2. But you survive the blast for sure.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 31, 2017

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

Will I need to get five gears in every side activity in Just Cause 3 to unlock all the upgrades or can I settle for three or four gears on some of them?

I don't even think you need half of them. I did like 1/5th of the Just Cause 3 stuff, and barely got five gears and I still felt like I had all the upgrades I wanted by the end.

Then again I also thought most of the upgrades were pretty useless.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
hi goons, are you fans of cool and good games.

well i have news for you. whoever now owns the jedi knight licence ( disney? ) finally patched up dark forces 2/mysteries of the sith on steam. they are now the DEFINITIVE EDITIONS, and have a whole bunch of cool features that make them run flawlessly on windows 10.

they also readded the soundtracks, which last i checked got removed due to ????. i can't check the gog versions right now, but does anybody with those versions want to check and see if they also got the soundtrack patch?

either way, all star wars games now work flawlessly, and it's really hilarious playing dark forces 2 in 4k. namaste.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Scott Forstall posted:

i only recently got into Rome: Total War (thanks, Many A True Nerd) but holy poo poo is this game not one of the all time greats? I'm hopelessly addicted

You want to know the saddest thing?

I got "into" Total War with Shogun 2, skipped Rome 2 because the backlash, ignored Attila, and only came back for Warhammer.

After Warhammer was so good, I started going back. Attila looked a little too complex to be fun, and I didn't like the time period. Tried Rome 2 and it's just a slog. Nothing about it is fun, and I dislike every time I loaded it up. Yet I love the time period.

Went and bought Rome 1 because I remembered playing it once or twice back in High School ( and saw people were still playing it to this day ), and easily slipped into a Julii campaign which lasted 47 hours. As soon as it was over I started a Carthage campaign. Then an Britanni campaign. Then a Gaul campaign. Then I used the unlocker to play a Macedon campaign. Then I jumped to Barbarian Invasion and played through as both the Franks and the WRE.

I started a Alexander campaign and am loving every minute of it's bullshit rear end romp through Persia.

It's just solid. It's still one of the best games they've made hands down. Easy to get into, fun, yet just deep enough to keep you going. There's something about playing as the Julii and going into a fight with 500 guys vs 4000 and winning because of ROMAN ARMS/abusing the gently caress out of streets/buildings. It really feels like you are fighting back against these massive barbarian hordes coming down from the mountains to murder everything you love, and you are that last line of defense, yet have the ability to hold because your troops are so good. Then when you finally get to flip the script and be the Gauls, sending waves of unarmored naked dudes into the Roman lines is just as satisfying.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, okay. I apparently own Rome: Total War, so I'll install it and give it a shot. I also have the Warhammer one, but that's like, 20+ gigs and I'm not yet sure if I want to install that much for a game I probably won't dig. Maybe Rome will change my mine!

A few things to consider for your first campaign, just to help ease you in to the Julii.

- Always be building Hastati upfront, you need them for the fighting that's going to go down when you declare on the Gauls. Once you have them, start building a few units of Equities/Velities. Ideally once you've really started moving across the map you can turn Pavatium and Mediolanum into the center of your army recruitment scheme.

- The most important thing is the ability to retrain troops, which is complicated in the early part of the game/early part of an invasion of an area. You need a military building that can create that unit before you get the ability to reinforce/retrain units. Early on when you are focusing on economy and are fighting off multiple armies with only 1-2 armies it might be better to just rely on the slowly depleting units, sending them back home when they get damaged enough ( without the general, just have them walk home by themselves ), and sending up new units to take their place. Later on you'll want to have army recruitment buildings scattered around the center of your provinces so you can rest and resupply there.

- Economic buildings are 90% of the time the best thing. Ports make absurd cash, roads increase the cashflow of everything ( and make getting around very easy ), traders/marketplaces help pay for your armies. You only really need 1-2 cities in a region to be military focused, the rest are fine just building more and more economic/cultural buildings. My usual Julii mess ends up being Arretium builds roads > barracks > archery barracks > calv centers then starts focusing on economy while being my army recruitment zone. Once I take Mediolanum/Pavatium I turn both into army zones because they'll be where everything gets sent from. Once I make inroads into Gaul, I usually set up a new military center in Lugdunum or Massila. Same as you expand Eastward/North.

- The Gauls suck at battle. A single unit of Hastati can take on 2-3 units of Warbands without problem. Up to 5 if they have support from a nearby General/Velities. You will run into a lot of situations where you have maybe 10 units in a town, and get attacked by 2 20/20 stacks of Gauls. Even though the autoresolve says you'll be crushed, you will probably easily beat them if you set up around the town center and just hold the 1-2 ways in with Hastati. Especially if you can kill the enemy general, Gauls will rout cycle almost as soon as their general dies. Just don't fight at the walls, fight in the city proper.

Total War games are fun! And not at all as complicated as people make them out to be in their heads. Just realize you shouldn't be charging dudes on horses into guys with spears/pikes, and you'll be fine.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Xander77 posted:

I never really found a use for Velites. (Or any of the javelins troops) They're so low-range and do so little damage even when flanking that another unit of proper infantry always seems like a better investment.

Equites are also a bit meh, fleeing whenever anyone looks at them funny. You need a few to run down fleeing enemy units / isolated ranged troops, but no more than that.

Settlement fights for the Romans mainly, which you do a lot of as Julii. Getting attacked by ranged units does absurd morale damage in Rome 1, so it's an easy way to turn a chokepoint into a morale spiral deathtrap without losing as many fights. It's also a really good way to help break poo poo like Greek States/Seleucid lines because of the free morale damage.

Equities are important for running down fleeing units in open battles and flanking behind the enemy since the again, huge morale debuff for the enemy when you do that. Also they upgrade into some really powerful units.

Also both are useful for campaign movement speed. Your army composition determines your speed on the world map, so if you build nothing but legions, you'll move super slow. Even a few units of both can give you almost double the campaign movement speed.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Xander77 posted:

90% sure it's the slowest unit in your army, not the average speed of all the units.

(Easily measured by adding one catapult to a large army, then separating said catapult from the army and seeing that the catapult moves at the same speed)

Yeah, but default Roman units have missile weapons, far more powerful than Velites.

Also, you don't "upgrade" units in Rome 1. Any Equites you recruit will remain Equites even when you have the option to recruit actual heavy cav.

Movement speed is a sum of all units in Rome 1. So yes a catapult will be the lowest speed and will slow down the whole army. But a mixed force would otherwise be better. It wasn't until Medieval 2 that they started the idea of "slowest unit dictates movement speed".

You can test this really easily by selecting single units from your army to move. Make a Calv heavy army with a few Hastati. The calv will be able to move past the army borders, but the Hastati alone would move less then the whole army would.

And it's not the damage output of missiles you are trying to inflict, it's the morale damage. The single volley fire from Hastati is really great for a quick lowering of enemy units. It's the constant attacks by javelins under the Velities that causes units to rout though. Because they get stacking morale penalties ( under attack! under attack by ranged! flanked! sides exposed! general dead! ) until they finally rout. Also the damage is not significantly lower. It's 7v11, and the Velities get most of their buffs to their damage, so by r3/r3 it's closer to 10v12, and they eventually do pass the Hastati and become really good ranged units.

Also they do double damage to Elephants and Chariots I just learned while grabbing those numbers.

And upgrade wasn't the right word. I meant after the reforms their barracks turn into Legionary Calv barracks, and Legionary Calv are great. Might as well be building their barracks/them anyways because they are super cheap and fill a niche.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That's the only strike for me against TW: WH. I mean the soundtrack is competently done and appropriate, it just doesn't have the stand out pieces that I still remember from Rome even though I haven't played it in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irXQid4peS0

And yeah, I can play Rome 1, Shogun 2, and Warhammer for hours.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Shirec posted:

Has anyone played The Shrouded Isle? I saw a Quick Look on Giant Bomb and it looked awesome, but I figured I'd ask

It's awesome, but also only 2ish hours long.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I thought the agreed upon translation was PoE = Path of Exile, and Pillars = Pillars of Eternity.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Is ESO worth ten bucks if you're a fan of the series or not really?

Oh definitely. It's totally playable in singleplayer ( I'd argue it's now being developed for singleplayer ), and has a lot of the same writing style/setup as Morrowind. It's a game made for TES fans, specifically the ones that really liked Morrowind.

It's also got a lot of the stuff you love from TES in general. Lot of exploration, finding cool loot, doing cool stuff, side quests, etc etc.

Just realize the starting island for your faction is not super representative of the rest of the game. They tend to be a bit more focused, with extremely short dungeons. Once you get to the mainland things start picking up.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Palleon posted:

How is Elder Scrolls Online if I don't get any of the expansions and mostly intend to play single player? I can never tell with these games if the expansions are mandatory or not to do most things, or if I have to pay the monthly prime fee to really enjoy things.

The expansions are largely unnecessary if you don't plan on doing those things.

The way I talk about TESO with people is think of 3 Skyrims in 1. Each faction has 5 questing zones, and combined they equal the size of Skyrim. So like imagine Riften and it's whole little area as a questing hub. Imagine Whiterun and it's whole little area as a questing hub. Etc etc. Just with double the quests you'd see in Skyrim, because they are trying to fit more into every single zone. And then you have three whole Skyrims to explore in the form of the entire world, because the other two faction questing areas are the same size.

Since you can do whatever quests you want whenever you want ( though there is an overarching story zone to zone ), the world is basically whatever you want to make of it, TES normal style.

The expansions are all additions you may or may not want, but you can always choose that later. TESO base is still a massive game without them.

Imperial City adds the Imperial City again. Which is in Cyrodiil, which is the open world PvP zone ( yet also has all the old cities like Bruma, Cheydinhal, etc etc. Just slightly smaller and largely on fire/enslaved due to the whole THE EMPEROR IS EVIL bit. Without it you can't go into the Imperial City and deal with the fallout of solving the main quest. It's a TES game though, so you probably won't ever see or care about finishing the main quest. It's fun though if you really like small scale urban group PvP. Both it and Cyrodiil are also questing zones mind you, they do the DAoC thing where you have a questing zone also be a murder zone.

Orsinium is fun, but wholly uneeded. You get to rebuild the Orc Capital City, and you get to see it grow through phasing. Super fun if you like Orc lore or want to RP an Orc. Not needed in the slightest if you don't.

Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood add those guilds. You can join them and do quests for them. If your character wouldn't join either guild, no real loss.

Shadows of the Hist/Horns of the Reach are both dungeon DLC. You can skip them until you have a better feel for the game.

Morrowind is bigger Orsinium. You go back to Morrowind, get to nostalgia out, meet Vivec, etc etc. If you don't have that passion for Morrowind it's not a huge loss to skip. If you do have that passion, I'd say skip it anyways and just grab it during the next big sale.

Subbing gets you access to all DLC but Morrowind for free, and also gets you a crafting bag. The hottest hot tip if you do want to check out all that content is to play the game through normally, and if you ever want to do any of the DLC later, just sub for a month and do it all for $15 because it's all singleplayer DLC and you don't need to do most of it a second time.

TESOs sub/store is basically just fluff stuff. You can get a horse by level 5 just by playing no problem. But do you want to spend $10 and get a FIRE WOLF??? ( the answer is probably not, but thanks whales. ).

Morter posted:

How does ESO's combat hold up?

It's a slightly floater TES combat mixed with some one button magic attacks. I think it's fine.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Morter posted:

Cool, thanks for all the helpful responses! :buddy:

Edit: Do people sincerely have fun doing this?

Why in gods name are you wanting to grind to 50 in a game where levels are meaningless.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

INCREDIBLE

RUNE WAS INCREDIBLE. I'M 100% DOWN. LETS DO THIS.

ALSO PLAY RUNE YOU FUCKERS, IT'S STILL GREAT.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mordja posted:

So after seeing it played on Giant Bomb, I'm thinking of giving Path of Exile another go with my brother, since it looks like they made combat feel better than I remember it. I do have one question. Can I get through the main story at least without having to follow some sort of optimal build guide? I'm sure I'd be hosed when it comes to the post-game stuff but I typically make ARPG characters around what I think seems cool rather than maximum efficiency.

Outside of the Rune news, I'm going to say don't listen to these other guys.

All you need to do is make sure you at LEAST have 150-180%ish + Life, and close to/max Resistances. Resistances are super important because story stuff happens that causes your Resistances to get knocked down for awhile.

If you have that, you can build whatever and it'll work. With the FoO expansion there are some people posting videos of builds that shouldn't work being fine for the final endgame bosses now because of the changes. It's just a game that expects you put your points into survivability alongside whatever cool thing you wanted.

It's also super easy to reach both of those numbers for basically every class but the Hunter/Assassin, so go hog and have fun.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, other companies are already slipping this kind of stuff in. Paradox and Colossal Order have "Content Creator" asset packs built by modders and sold at a premium for Cities: Skylines. Though so far they've only produced two of those versus what is sure to be an unending flow of fresh game slurry for diehard crazies to buy up.

There's a difference I think.

Like if you told me Bethesda was going to only be reselling full mods like Enderal for $30, or Wrymstooth for $15, under the caveat Bethesda was going to be vetting them, making sure they worked/flowed flawlessly, and taking a look over them before selling them as DLC, I'd be 100% down. If they -became- Bethesda product level quality by going through this selling process, I could see it being a huge boon. At that point modders could make a name for themselves with their initial mods so Bethesda could trust them to auto vet their next mod, and potentially hire actual real VA or make full sized mods that are of DLC quality without having to worry about the costs/time costs.

This would also be a good way of getting major mods onto consoles. Sure you can't just add something like "Improved Crafting!" or "Pickpocketing for Dummies" onto the consoles, but you can make a "Modpack #1" for $15 that includes most of these mods and Humble Bundle style make the authors some good cash.

The issue is right now it's literally ARTHMOORS DRAGON DICK ARMOR? $2. which loving lol. I am not going to pay some dude nickle and dime IOS prices to make me some lovely rehash style mods I can still find on the Nexus for free.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You didn't know what you were doing. They only way to fail the first handful of interrogations is if you have autism levels of "I can't read emotions on peoples faces."

I beat that entire game and never hosed up. For all the flak the truth/doubt stuff gets, as soon as you realize "lie" means "EVIDENCE TIME" it's basically impossible to gently caress it up.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

There's bug fixing, and there's bug fixing. Yeah fine you need to update on the release day. That's normal, everyone does it. You should have an actual version up and ready to go in advance of your release day though. Nobody should need to be carrying their computer to a friend's house to make a last minute upload. If your game is legit not playable a week before release you should push the date again. If it is playable but not perfect, so what, release anyway, staying up for 36 hours isn't going to fix your game and it's going to make your life lovely.

It sounds like he thought the build was basically 100% finished, and then a beta tester found a game breaking loop. That's what he's fixing now. The bigger issue he's run into isn't fixing the new bug, it's the fact his internet provider stopped existing to upload it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

So what does CSD2 add compared to CSD

a billion more recipes.

challenge modes.

a no story just do chef work mode.

work stations, harder stuff, more challenge.

it's csd 2.0.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

atholbrose posted:

For CSD2, I think you're meant to be doing the other themed restaurants in order to unlock items and build up a war chest for running CSD with... but I could be wrong. The game is really bad about letting you know what it expects you to be doing at any given time...

Yeah, I assume that comes from the emails, which are currently not in.

It's honestly my current GOTY, it's everything I wanted CSD to be and more, and it seems like a beefy awesome game, especially at $13. It just needs another week in the proverbial oven to get the mouse support/emails in.

Like it -starts- at 4 Star Level difficulty from CSD. I can't imagine what it ends at. I'm super excited to find out.

Also DO NOT QUIT WHILE THE PICKLE IS GYRATING is perhaps my favorite loading screen icon.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I really, really, really prefer the story in Bioshock 2, and find the Bioshock 1 story a bit simple, but that doesn't mean it's a bad.

I think one of the big problems with Bioshock 1 ( and KotOR1 to a degree ), is that both are so tied to their central beat that as soon as you've seen it, the rest of the game doesn't really survive past it. I loved both games on my first playthrough, but every subsequent playthrough has found me liking them less and less, because there just isn't anything else there, and they are remarkably shallow outside of that core beat. But maybe this is just because I prefer world building/setting over actual story exposition, and both stories are tied albatross style around the neck of the player rather then the world.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

dmboogie posted:

just the first few hours of divinity original sin 2 are blowing me away - if they can keep up this level of reactivity to your race/traits; this game'll have an absolutely insane amount of replay value

the writing is also a whole lot better than the first game. i actually care about these characters and what's going on! voice acting is v. competent as well

oh you think that's crazy.

if you go elf, you can eat the bodies of the dead and gain access to their memories. which can get you new quests, learn you new skills, and help you through current quests.

I NEVER KNEW THAT UNTIL I FOUND THE ELF NPC. no wonder elves aren't trusted.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Note, this is the guy Zynga hired to slow down it's lovely moneitization, and he did a pretty ok job of righting the on fire ship. He's not the guy that got Zynga into being monetize nonsense.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Original Sin 2 is one of the best games that's come out this year, and that's saying something considering the year. It's a hallmark of CRPG design, and it's something everyone should be playing.

Let me tell you some things that have happened in my game.

- I fed a dog a human leg. The dog told me he was 100% not down with that after he realized what I did and attacked me for it.

- I married one of my companions to a giant talking slug queen, and left him there with her forever.

- Since Undead heal from poison, I took the UD companion and decked him in full plate armor/gave him a 2Hander. He now gets lifestealing thanks to his UD nature/Necromancy skill tree, plus I keep him fully topped off by 24/7 fighting in poison. All our enemies constantly suffer. He constantly gets healing from it.

- I found a giant barrel of "ooze" on a pirate ship, which translates to a giant barrel of poison. It seems to be limitless, so I gave it to said UD fighter and he spends his first turn just dumping poo poo all over the ground he heals from. I've also taken to picking up all the bottles and glasses lying around and filling them with ooze so he can heal by drinking them. It's so heavy he can't carry anything else, but who cares.

- The town blacksmith wasn't giving me the information I needed. So I killed her and had my elf eat her head to gain her memories. I learned what I needed to know from doing that.

- A man approached me near the water and tried to attack one of my party members. Since he was two levels higher then me, I just had my wizard teleport him into the ocean. He drowned to death out there I presume.

- I found chloroform in the game and attempted to use it on an enemy before a fight started. Instead I chloroformed myself, which caused me to pass out. When my character woke back up a companion called me an idiot.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

They should have put the first Original Sin on sale to coincide with the release of two. I probably would have picked it up if only because I'm totally unable to skip ahead in a series and OS2 is getting a lot of good buzz.

As someone who is always the same way ( except with Far Cry and Dark Souls, since they are so disconnected. ), you can start with OS2.

There is even a starting option character that's whole getup is "WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED TO THE WORLD SINCE I WAS HERE LAST. WHAT THE gently caress IS A DIVINE. WHAT ARE YOUR GODS. WHAT HAPPENED TO MY WORLD." so you can even play the character of not knowing stuff.

There is exactly one tie-in OS2 has to the other games ( as exquisite tea said, they are pretty disconnected ), and it's The Divine. Which is something from Divine Divinity, not OS1. And even then, all you need to know is The Divine is as the name suggests a pretty important religious character in the series. If you really must, you can always go grab Divine Divinity and play through that first, since it's both cheap, and still incredible ( it's basically Diablo 2/Skyrim. I'm not even joking. It still holds up as well. ).

The Divinity timeline is weird. Technically it's

Dragon Commander

5k years

Original Sin

1k years

Divine Divinity

20-50 years

Beyond Divinity/Original Sin 2 happening at the same timeish.

5-10 years

Divinity 2

So OS2 only references/is built off of Divine Divinity, not anything else. OS isn't even considered ancient history, it's been entirely forgotten/myth by Divine Divinity/OS2, and Dragon Commander might as well never have happened.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Would there be any way to edit my savefile to be on Classic difficulty?

I mean are you doing alright on Tactician? It just gets easier as you get more powerful anyways. People are just annoyed because it's not the smarter AI mode it was in OS1.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Beat Cop is hardcore racist. This is the Police is complicated.

This is the Police presents the option to be racist, but also presents it as a morally bad choice. It's something your character doesn't want to do, and negatively impacts you in the short term. But the whole setup of the event is that the corrupt mayor is using stuff like that as a cudgel to your character, and by not doing it he gets more power over you. You can stick to your guns and take this hits in other ways ( and the game encourages it, it's the whole point of the game is picking your battles, and that's one I always fight ), and the game is built around what you value more. Do you actually care about the rights of minorities, or when it comes down to it, will you throw them under the proverbial bus for other issues.

It's not a lauded or celebrated thing.

TitP has other issues ( they are from Belarus and don't understand what BLM is, but that's more understandable ), but it's not an openly racist game.

Beat Cop is.

It constantly uses racial slurs against minorities every time they come up. Crimes are more often caused by the black gang. Other characters tell you to just take it out on the black gang, even if they didn't commit the crime because that works just fine for them. The black gang is the group that sets up most of the violence in the game, and when you finally ask them why, they say because looting is super fun and kill whitey. It's a loving awful caricature.

It also has SERIOUS problems with sexual assault/harassment. There is a female detective in the department and every single day the other detectives say really alarming poo poo. The two worst ones I saw early in the game was a guy asking her to stroke his dick during a briefing, and another detective telling her he thinks about her while he "plays with his gun.".

It's not a good game.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The trouble with cop-focused games being made in 2017 is that cops as an institution are inherently racist and politically-charged, so you'd have to have the most deft, sensitive writers handling the topics.

Instead, well, nope.

Although I think Police Tactics: Imperio avoided this problem, but I can't confirm as I haven't played it myself yet.

I liked Police Tactics Imperio because it's absurd. Your are fighting literal drugs Hydra with cops. Normal everyday cops. It avoids the problem by just presenting cops as people that come into work and do their jobs vs basically supervillans. No moral ambiguity needed, you aren't arresting anybody normal, you are arresting supervillans.

Orv posted:

Uh, not that you should, but GMG has SoW with kind of absurd discounts for pre-orders right now on even the fancy editions, what the hell are they doing?

I see 5% off :(.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Who do I have to review bomb to get a goddamn PC port of Shadow of the Colossus?

It's on Playstation Now, and it's also one of the few games that runs flawlessly on PCSX?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Nals

Heat Signature me up goonfriends.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ooh, good to know! I'll check out OS/OS2 soonish, then. ... I mean I'm still reading this LP, it's well done and I'm kind of invested in the plot, so I want to see it all now. And the same fellow LPed BD and D2 as well, so I'm set for covering those games!

Start with OS2, go back to OS1, then Dragon Commander.

If you really like the setting after that, do DD ( Skyrim/Diablo 2 mashup ), BD, then D2.

A bunch of stuff happens in OS2 that makes it the best starting point for the series. It's hard to explain without spoilers, but OS2 isn't really a sequel to DD or OS1 at all.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Does the original F.E.A.R. hold up? That game was fantastic at the time, I full-bore loved it and wouldn't mind playing it again.

Yup, I actually just got done replaying it. Still one of the best FPS games.

I actually like FEAR 2 if you haven't yet. I know a lot of goons hate it, and it's no FEAR 1, but it has it's moments.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Floodkiller posted:

If anyone is interested in puzzle games, one of my friends just released his yesterday: Operator Overload

The objective is to guide the path of the all the launchers into the goals, using 'magnets' to manipulate the path:
https://gfycat.com/OldGoodBlackrussianterrier

There's also a level editor with Workshop integration for quick level making and sharing!
https://gfycat.com/HugeMarriedAsiantrumpetfish

I snagged some Steam keys off of him to pass out as well! I've got six total, so I'll give half to the first three PMs I get and I'll drop the other half here (please quote which one you grab for courtesy, thanks!):

code:
No *u* Allowed:  *M*BK-ZFTCV-ZPPZR
*TAKEN*
*TAKEN*

I grabbed No Fun Allowed, thanks goon friend!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

oh my god yes.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Trick Question posted:

Nioh is great, until the complete lack of enemy and encounter variety gets to you. It doesn't help that once you unlock the cool powers you've already finished most of the difficult stuff in the game.

I've heard it gets more interesting in the ng+ modes, but I couldn't push myself through those last few levels.

If you do pick it up, absolutely do not bother with the side-missions, you'll burn yourself out.

I did every quest in Kingdoms of Amalur.

I 100%ed Mad Max.

Bring it on punk.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
"We don't feel it's a reach for us to say Nazis are bad and un-American," Bethesda VP of marketing and PR Pete Hines told GamesIndustry.biz following the release of the most recent ad. "And we're not worried about being on the right side of history here."

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jamfrost posted:

I'm about five hours in with Shadow of War.

Concerns:

-Every time I boot the game or pause, the game wants to advertise its microtransactions and season pass to me with a dash of news.
-The in-game currency used for upgrades can also be used to purchase chests for orcs. To get to that menu exposes you to the other chests that want your golden real money currency. $99.99 best value for 12,000 coins.
-Collecting the collectibles is busy work and not very interesting despite the lore they attach to it. I do them because they grant skill points or other rewards.
-You climb towers to reveal collectibles on the map, but not instantly. You have to do a dumb mini-game game of hot or cold to pinpoint their locations from the tower's point of view.
-Digging into the menu to find things out can take up a little too much time. It's not as clean as I would like.
-The tutorial sections are jarring and stop you from pressing other buttons at times.
-Sometimes you just end up climbing things when you wanted to vault over the short wall.

Pros:
-I really, really love the orc interactions with Talion. I've seen some fun and new behaviors that make orc slaying more satisfying. And some of those chiefs I can hold a real grudge against. I'm also playing on Nemesis to ensure that I die which happens semi-frequently for me. Hopefully it's not going to be too long before I can start branding fools. I've had my fun with the wildlife though. Ride all day.
-The core of the game is good, just held back by some tedium and other annoyances.
-Some of the new abilities are really fun. I especially like the double jump they have in this game.

The real money currency stuff is so absurd.

I did an online vendetta earlier today and got 500 real money currency. 500 is also the total needed to buy the biggest legendary real money currency box.

The person vengenced me and won. I still got 500 real money currency.

As soon as I realized how easy this poo poo was, I did 2 more vendettas. I am now at 3k gold despite spending zero cents.

I talked to a friend that was in the endgame bit. He did a vendetta then to get some gold. He got 1k gold so it scales up!

I have zero idea why these microtranscations are even in the game. They are utterly pointless. I have a billion legendary weapons already, I do not need more. I also have 4? legendary orcs by the 2nd zone, so why would I buy those either. I want my orcs to be my orcs.

So I'm just sitting here on this pool of gold I could spend, but without good reason to actually spend it on anything. It's really baffling. And then I have to look at the sheer backlash the game is getting for how heavy handed they are pushing this useless stuff, and I really have to wonder whats going on over there. Like it doesn't even feel like an afterthought, it feels like it was just tacked on at the very end and is wholly pointless, yet it's pushed with such an intensity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Overwatch has made easily over a billion, if not billions, largely on account of loot boxes. And that's just for cosmetic gambling with a soft sell, and Valve games have been raking it in for years on similar systems. Of course, a lot of that has to do with it having a huge player bases and a very engaging games on all those accounts, but people are going to follow the leader whether or not it makes sense for them.

That's to say nothing of mobage and other completely predatory game models, of course.

I personally have avoided Shadow of War, even though I really would like to play it, just to see how this all shakes out. Either way, I don't spend money on blind boxes anymore and find them really distasteful. Want to sell me something? Let me know what I'm buying, for gently caress's sake.

I'd argue boycotting Shadow of War at this point only hurts Monolith, not WB.

As I said upthread, the lootboxes are utterly pointless in every sense of the word. There isn't a single reason I can think of to buy them. They were something Monolith included well past the end of the dev cycle and serve no purpose.

Let me actually go into more detail as to why.

Loot is split between categories, with Legendary being the best. Thing is, I am in full Legendary loot by the middle of the first zone. By the time I hit zone 2, almost every piece of gear I got was Legendary gear. The reason why is the game gives you pokemon style orc fighting pits you can use to farm up Legendary gear while you do other stuff ( which also lets you mess with your/world orcs and is decently fun. ). Basically by 10-15 hours in everything you get is same level Legendary gear and you can start playing pretty Ranger dressup by mixing and matching sets.

The item loot boxes do not give same level gear. They give 3-5 levels lower gear, and don't always give Legendary gear. SO THEY WILL ALWAYS GIVE YOU WORSE THEN YOU'D GET BY PLAYING.

But there are Orc boxes! They can give Legendary Orcs!

The problem is once again they don't give same level Orcs. They give Orcs that are 5-10 levels below Tallions Level. So no matter what you need to grind up these Orcs to the level of your current Orcs. Legendary Orcs are not some special class of Orc, they just have less weaknesses/more strengths which makes them "better". But your own personal Orcs can also become Legendary level just by having them train/work with you often so it's ???? level of pointless naming. You also find TONS of Legendary Orcs out in the wilds, I've seen 4 so far and I'm just clearing up the second zone.

Worse yet they are fully random. If you are struggling with an Orc that has a fire weapon, the solution is never to use lootboxes because you will probably get an Orc that's scared of fire. It's always going to be better to use worms/check the world to find an Orc that doesn't care about fire to capture, then to train him up to help you out.

And all of this is tied around the freely given real money currency in game. See the game doles out rmc in pretty even amounts by doing dailies. You can get 50 per daily, so you can eventually save up for the 500rmc you need to buy the BIG LEGEND crate.

Or you can hop into the online mode. The online mode gives exactly 500 rmc for attack/defense even if you lose, so if you do that for 2-3 hours you have enough rmc to buy 20 BIG LEGEND crates. But again why would you the crates suck.