Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Oooo boy the final fight and ending of Hellblade made me cry like a loving baby. That music during the fight, goddamn.

GOTY as far as I'm concerned. The combat is bare bones but I didn't care because the animations were so good and the emphasis on position and timing meant I walked away from every battle sweating bullets.

Also watching people fight looks boring but once you are actually behind the controls I found it a lot better. You really need to make some snap decisions later on, on how to approach some encounters. Especially in tighter areas. It's not groundbreaking but it worked for me.

*edit* Also the facial animations were so good I honestly thought the main character in cutscenes were FMV until I realized that would be impossible with the way the camera pans around and zooms in without cutting away. That is some scary good tech they got.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Hellblade's combat sucks if you don't learn the different movesets and combos.

Like if you hold LB it modifies all your movesets and can be pressed mid-combo to change things up and increase damage.

Or the fact that melee attack modifies combos as well and that doing a melee attack mid-combo can extend a combo. Or that against most enemies if you parry them (always be parrying) and then do a melee strike you can do a heavy stun and wail on them for quite a while.

Of course the game tells you non of that so most people just spam light and heavy attacks over and over. Once I actually looked up the combat specifics I was breezing and carving my way through enemies.

Big tip: Use your melee strike button liberally. It throws enemies off-balance and lets you extend combos.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Oh god, why did I buy 20XX? Procedural roguelike megaman game should have clued me in right away so I only have myself to blame.

Nothing is balanced. I consistently get tons of damage powerups to the point where I can one shot every enemy then run into bosses that take ages to whittle down. I have so much money at all times that I can empty all shops and vending machines no problem, causing me to stack up on dozens and dozens of upgrades.

That's IF the level generator doesn't gently caress me and create a level that is either literally impossible to complete (a jump that can't be made) or spawning platforms and enemies in such a way that I'm forced into taking damage so much that unless I get enough hp upgrades to tank I just have to concede the level.

Also there are bullet hell bosses in a game where your hitbox is absolutely not designed for dodging bullets.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm out of the loop. What makes NISA bad? (I'm assuming lovely ports?)

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
What I love about rocket league is how chill everyone is. I've scored against my goal more times than I can count and just get a bunch of "Wow!" and "Nice Shot!" spammed in chat with no one getting angry. I hate multiplayer games but RL really warmed up to me.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I just noticed Hero-U came out of nowhere and I loved the Quest for Fire games! Let's check out the trailer....

:stare:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
The only thing I really hate in dead cells is the spartan shoes spawning at the start instead of literally anything else. God what a poo poo item.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Any opinions on Phantom Doctrine? Reviews keep mentioning enemies shooting through walls and being psychic knowing where you are which sounds awful for a stealth-based game.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Is Rising Storm 2: Vietnam worth it for $10? Looking for a decent multiplayer shooter after playing BF1 over and over.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Is NBA2k19 worth it if I just want to play offline/single player? Leery of buying because holy hell I've never seen a game get so many negative reviews but a lot of them are about the multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Sinking city is rough in places but god I'm loving it. Not for everyone but if you like their Sherlock Holmes games then you should jive well with SC.

Met a fishman that carves toys for children and it was the :3:-ist thing.

Sucks that it's an epic exclusive for 1 year as almost no one knows it's even out. If you do play it make sure to find as many fast travel points as possible and do the main missions up until you get a shotgun asap to make combat less of a pain. Also throw explosives at everything when possible.