Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Hey, remember that Shadow of Mordor sequel you guys were so hyped about. Well it's got loot boxes:

:regd08:

Putting aside how lovely it is, why even do this on PC? Are they just gambling on people not knowing Cheat Engine exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

So Elder Scrolls Online has me download 60 GBs from Steam... and what launches after that loving herculean task is an installer, which says I need to download another 87 GBs. I don't even have that much space remaining on my loving SSD, so even though I apparently already have most of the game's data (according to the forums) I can't actually finish the install without buying a loving external HD. Great loving job guys.

I'm so glad Steam isn't doing anything about wildly-out-of-control download and install sizes, especially when the game doesn't actually require nearly that much space and it's 100% dev laziness/stupidity, like 33% of DOOM's install size being uncompressed foreign-language audio that you don't even need because you can select your language ahead of time.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

EtG is a Good And Fun Game... as long as you cheat like a motherfucker. If you're finding yourself spending too much time with the basic weapons or just not having fun in general, use Cheat Engine to spawn the occasional Rainbow Chest and see if that mixes things up for you. It sure did for me!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Xaris posted:

Wait, what?? Platinum Games was in danger of closing? i can''t believe that :ohdear:

Yeah, unfortunately their games just don't sell very well :(

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

PerilPastry posted:

Is Borderlands 2 worth it if you're a weirdo like me who prefers single-player?

I'd pick it up at SOME point, it's a good-ish game if you use Cheat Engine to fix item rarities and don't ever play UVHM.

Edit: Mechromancer is definitely the best class if you're going to play solo, just FYI.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Zereth posted:

Note that in the very first townlike area I talked to a dog and got a quest and a key to use in said quest from him. It seems like Pet Pal is even more useful this time around than I remember it being in 1.

Not to mention the ability to marry off a party member to an aristocratic slug monster.

Also, Undead get an item late-ish in Act 1 that lets them impersonate dead NPCs. You can even play as an Undead Elf which lets you eat dead people AND cut off and wear their faces, for the full Hannibal Lecter experience!

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely things I'm not too fond of in the game, but the sheer amount of stuff to do and reactivity to experience, just in Act 1 is loving bannanas.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

But drat, have you seen Telltale's sales figures lately? The new season of Batman is currently at 20K Steam sales while the spin-off season of Life is Strange is on about 250k.

Telltale are pretty much dead in the water and they've overpromised big time to their many, many licensees.

And yet Walking Dead Season 3, a sequel that AFAIK no one wanted, bafflingly sold ten times that.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

I doubt it's one person so much as an entire board room jerking off to the download numbers for mods while imagining people will pay up like they do for serious DLC for all their little mods.

What baffles me is more why they don't start a game with paid mods. You could box Fallout 4 with a fart and the fandom would have glossed over that in a hurry. Once people accept it, it becomes a lot easier to work from.

They're almost certainly going to do this with TES: The Next One or whatever, but it wont change the fact that they just aren't willing to put the effort into making it work. If the prices are as high and the quality as low as what we've seen in Fallout 4 then people are going to make better free mods just to spite them.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Would grim Dawn be worth a grab at $8 on GOG? I know this is the steam thread but I figured some of you guys have bought this at some point and played it to death.

Absolutely, it's so loving good.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

you're right I have no idea about the game and no one has bothered to actually say anything good about it besides "buy it, buy it, hype, ascii art, barf, early access, hype, game buy it"

I don't really 'get' sports games, like in general, but I don't spend four consecutive posts talking about how they must be poo poo ripoffs because the only alternative is that maybe people have slightly different tastes then me.

Like, it's a game where you murder robots and steal their parts and become a terrifying frankenmech, if that doesn't appeal to you (or you have some burning, all-consuming hatred of ASCII graphics) then maybe... it isn't for you? Either way it isn't worth getting this worked up about.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Okay, am I crazy or are most of the games in the Halloween sale... not actually on sale?

Edit: gently caress, they fixed it IMMEDIATELY after I posted that. Oh well!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

is it one of those dumb indie games whose developers kept the difficulty in line with their own skill at it while developing it?

There's one "optional" platforming-dungeon in the endgame that utterly sucks, and you need to beat it to see the 100% ending, but other then that I found the game pretty drat enjoyable.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

white palace owns except for the spear corridor which is annoyingly specific to get through

Yeah, that specific part is what made me put down the game for like two weeks. I eventually got through it legit but I’d encourage anyone who isn’t enjoying it to just use Cheat Engine, because it almost single handily ruined an otherwise excellent game for me.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks. Seems like I should prioritize Physique. Can I dump stat Spirit if i'm not planning on going magic?

I certainly wouldn't dump it completely, because a piece of gear you want to wear in the future might have a Spirit requirement. Still, you get a chance to respec even your stat points in Ashes, so it's not a HUGE deal.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

Is there any way in grim dawn to skip veteran straight to the next difficulty? Or do I have to run it even if I do a lot of arena?

The Grim Dawn thread has a downloadable template for a fresh Ultimate character in the third post, I don't think there's one for Elite yet but it never hurts to ask!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

No 'La Cucaracha', no sale

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

How's the DLC for Darkest Dungeon?

If your main takeaway from the base game was "These bosses aren't nearly bullshit enough" then you'll love Crimson Court!

Seriously though, it adds a lot of fun content but also a lot of infuriating bullshit, at very least don't go into it blind unless you're okay with losing multiple high-level parties.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

The game itself is pretty awesome, with the caveat that you kind of have to be okay with losing characters you've put a lot of effort into and occasionally abusing the mechanics (hire a fresh party of adventurers off the wagon, send them into a dungeon with minimal supplies, collect as much treasure as possible, fire all of the insane or stressed-out ones when they get back, rinse and repeat). Definitely play on Radiant, it isn't even 'Easy Mode' it just reduces grind and it's loving great unless you're a masochist. Also don't get the DLC until you're already familiar with the base game (and know if you'll like it), it adds one new hero who's fairly OP but otherwise is all expert-level content and it will wreck your poo poo if you're just starting out.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Unbalanced posted:

This line of thought is incredibly stupid and I really hope you don't view the world this way.

To be fair there definitely are creators who insert their creepy fetishes into their works with no real justification (see Piers Anthony for a well-known example), and this fits all of the typical signs: it's not foreshadowed at all and comes out of nowhere, it doesn't match the tone of the rest of the game, and doesn't add anything of value to the story. Like I'm not saying for sure if the creator is a rape fetishist or if he's just trying way too hard to be edgy, but 'heres a whole bunch of rape right in the middle of this generic platformer' doesn't say good things about him regardless.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

To the people who recommended Card Quest, thanks! It’s my new ‘thing to play while listening to podcasts’ game, and addicting as gently caress.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I got it too, and MAN this game is really hard. I've only ever managed to get to like the fifth map on one adventure with one character. I can't seem to ever get ANYWHERE with the wizard while the ranger just wrecks everything.

For the wizard I have to admit I cheated in one run just so I could get a FEW items with him, but by pure happenstance I got an almost-complete set of great items: all 3 fire spell sets, the pyromancer robes, firestones and salamander pet. He went from being the worst character by far to my favorite once he became an unstoppable living firestorm (that occasionally either self-destructs spectacularly or has to let enemies maul him for a turn or two). Almost all of them are in the Dwarven Mountains (Mountain Pass - Old Mines - Mushroom Caves - Dwarven Caves - Dwarven City), and I think the last piece is in Undead's Burnt Town, if you're interested.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm trying to pick through the character generation stuff I havent even started yet.

I wont hesitate to recomment Starcrawlers though for dungeon crawler action.

Seconding this, I've only played through one of the routes so far (Workers United) but it's storyline was remarkably deep and well-done. If you're looking for a slick, modern dungeon crawl one you can't do much better.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

cerious posted:

UnderRail is $6, go buy it

Underrail is a game that I WANT to wholeheartedly recommend, but honestly it’s slightly hard. I WANT to say it’s like Fallout 2 got a proper sequel, but it’s more like a Fallout 2 sequel done entirely by one person, with all that entails. Mechanically I feel it’s very solid, there are a wide variety of enemies that you can kill with guns, knives, sledgehammers, fists, bombs and psychic powers, and a huge amount of feats make each of those play in a fairly unique way. There’s an involved crafting system that you might enjoy if you’re a deranged sperg like me, or can be ignored entirely. There’s a wealth of side content: a bloodsport arena to become champion of, a war between fascists and anarchists to become involved and a dump fancy apartment to buy and spruce up, not to mention a HUGE, almost unreasonable amount of ‘wilderness’ areas to explore and kill randos in. That being said the story was written by one person, and it shows: most of the characters have the same ‘voice’, lots of humor that misses the mark and, worst of all, several storylines that just sort of abruptly end, with no resolution and characters just telling you to ‘come back later.’ Still, it’s a very solid isometric murder/ hoarder simulator, and while the story may not set the world on fire, it should at least keep you moderately entertained, and at six bux it’s absolutely worth it.

West of Loathing is sort of it’s mirror-twin: it’s mechanically nothing to write home about (combat is painfully easy if you’re a wizard, painfully dull if you aren’t), but features easily the best humor I’ve ever seen in a video game. It’s full of great, well-thought-out puzzles: dealing with an infuriating ghost-bureaucracy, exorcising a hellish pickle factory, finding the dark secret of a creepy carnival and purifying your bowels 1800’s-style. It also has a running joke involving spittoons that might be my favorite sequence in a video game ever. Even with the mediocre combat I have no problem wholeheartedly recommending this one, you owe it to yourself to check it out!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Ragequit posted:

It's Thanksgiving! If you PM me a message with what you are thankful for (as well as include your Steam profile), I’ll pick a few good ones and send along a little something from your wishlist. The deadline is 12:00 AM CST, which is three hours from now. Whether you celebrate Thanksgiving or not, I hope you all have a solid weekend and are able to spend some quality time with family and friends.

This has been a pretty rough year objectively - my best friend developed terminal cancer and my mother (who I take care of) has had increasing difficulty speaking and making simple decisions. However, this has also really shown me how lucky I am; so many people lose loved ones suddenly, without a chance to say goodbye or get closure, and yet I've had a great deal of time to spend with the people I love and just be there for them. Losing them might be painful, but I'm so loving lucky to have even have them in my life in the first place that I all I can feel is gratitude. I get to hang out with a friend I deeply and truly love, and spend Thanksgiving with the best parent I could have asked for; how many people get to say that?

Here's my steam profile, but you don't have to get me anything, I just wanted an excuse to type that out.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I strongly recommend Heat Signature, and would definitely ditch The Forest. Other then that I'm not of much use :(

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

strategery posted:

Just out of curiosity what is bad about the forest?

There just wasn't much to do when I played, felt very early access. However, I just checked and that was two-ish years ago, and the game has (shockingly) been continuously developed since then, so my opinions on it aren't actually very relevant.

Anyone else have any recent opinions on The Forest?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I just realized that I've accumulated a HUGE supply of cards, what is the best way to sell them all? Ideally I'm looking for something that can automatically set prices, there's like ten pages of them so doing that manually would be a nightmare.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Turd Herder posted:

Drats that one I really wanted too. Why is it a mess?

MASSIVE, totally unreasonable amounts of grinding. Like you'll see a gun you want, but it requires three Golden Whatevers. Golden Whatevers are a rare drop off a very difficult boss, so you have to kill this boss like ten times (and die a whole bunch in the process) to get a single gun that's only a moderate upgrade of what you currently have.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Anyone buy Tiny Metal? Looks like a PC Advance Wars, which I'm all for.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/751500/TINY_METAL/

Don’t buy this, it was funded via a Kickstarter scam. The dev ran a kickstarter that was wildly successful (I think it was Project Phoenix, an FFT spiritual successor?), raised over $1m in funds, then immediately diverted all that cash to Tiny Metal, the game he actually wanted to make.

Edit: see Kickstarter thread for more info

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

BexGu posted:

Finally looking at picking up Witcher 3: Game of the Year Edition and I know every one goes on about the story but how is the combat? Would it fix that "Lets kill some big monsters in a Action RPG" itch that Dragons Dogma did?

Also I don't know how long each play session would be, is it easy to pick up were I left off after not playing for a day or two?

Aside from not climbing all over monsters the combat is pretty similar, I definitely prefer it over DD. The game also uses plot recaps to disguise loading screens, so at very least the main plot won't be that hard to pick back up. Definitely get the Show All Quests mod though, it can be easy to forget about sidequests in an area unless they're on the map.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

FastestGunAlive posted:

Any recommendations on turn-based strategy (fantasy genre)? Preferably where you can actually move troops around for combat. I've got Fantasy General in mind but not necessarily an exact copy if such a thing doesn't exist. Not interested in Dominions and I found the King's Bounty games to be incredibly dull and shallow. Not looking for smaller scale tactical/strategic RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics. I've got Sovereignty: Crown of Kings on my wishlist but opinions are mixed

On the RTS front, I'm going to pick up SpellForce based on the praise everyone has given it. In my head I'm imagining it similar to Warlords Battlecry 3 (and now I want to go replay that as well).

If you've never played Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (get the gog.com version) then try that immediately. If real time with pause instead of turn-based combat isn't a deal-breaker then Total War: Warhammer is loving fantastic. Otherwise I think the best you're gonna get are fantasy 4x's (Age of Wonders and Endless Legend), but both of those left me pretty cold so ymmv.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Kevin Palpatine posted:

so how is the telltale batman game? or did no one play it lmao

like on a scale a 5 reeking dumpsters - 1 dumpster being "even rats avoid it" and 5 dumpsters being "there could be multiple dead bodies in there"

By the end of episode 3 I was thinking 'I would probably be having more fun playing anything else' and the first half of episode 4 did nothing to disabuse me of that notion, so I just uninstalled then and there. Like Season 1 I liked some of their ideas (reversing the Joker/Harley dynamic and making her the badass criminal was a nice touch, or at least would have been with better writing) but the execution was poor at best. IMO their worst sin is that they spend way too much time making Joker out to be pathetic and incompetent to then turn him into a credible threat (it was his 'I'm EVIL now!!!' scene that made me give up and move on), but then again I feel the same way about Kylo Ren and some people apparently love him :shrug:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, I don't think Starbound is complete garbage or anything, in fact it's pretty close to being great! The only problem is that the main dev consistently makes the worst decisions possible - removing fun stuff like sand-mining and the good grappling hooks, adding in pointless grinding everywhere, nerfing all the actual sci-fi stuff (guns, jetpacks) in order to get people to use the lovely melee - and his bad decisions and hatred of fun nearly counteracted the work of a lot of talented people who worked on the game. It's too bad you can't play it without giving Chucklefish money, but the same is true of Stardew Valley, so :shrug:

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 11, 2018

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Did this game end up being good? I remember reception when it came out was kind of middling but it got some big 2.0 update?

I haven't played it recently, but it was worth at least 3$ when I did. It wasn't GREAT and I remember it being kind of swingy (you can gain/lose units due to random events, so you'll be doing fine and suddenly your best car that you've built up all game is destroyed or whatever), but at that price I'd absolutely pick it up.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Shaking lemur butt posted:

Well that's just... even weirder :confused:

It's a system clearly rolled out with little forethought or testing, it wouldn't shock me if they went live using placeholder foreign currency numbers that some intern banged out in half an hour. The good news is they might fix it at some point!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Mr E posted:

Is the DLC for Darkest Dungeon worth picking up along with the game?

I'd strongly recommend playing DD first and seeing if you like it, aside from an extra character Crimson Court is aimed at people who've mastered the base game already. It's a decently fun game, as long as you play on Radiant Mode and don't mind occasionally (okay, frequently) dying through no real fault of your own.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Im_Special posted:

Hows Torment: Tides of Numenera? It has mixed reviews, is it worth jumping to the $15 tier for it?

Much like PS:T, as a traditional RPG it kind of sucks. Class balance and progression is garbage, the combat system never even comes close to reaching it's potential and quickly becomes repetitive... I could go on, but I won't.

Also like PS:T (although to a lesser extent) it's much better if you take it as a storygame with an RPG clumsily attached. The characters are pretty solid, the worldbuilding is fantastic and you're encouraged (and occasionally even rewarded) to accept failing a quest instead of reloading for a 'better' ending. Just make your character a Nano and take Mind Reading and the ana-something skill, the stuff you get from those two are some of the best writing in the game and they're things the game should really give you for free, much like Pet Pal from Divinity.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, I was really enjoying Tesla vs. Lovecraft until I hit the Etherial Docks level, at which point it turns into unfun bullshit.

The solution to that (and every) level is to die/reload over and over until you get the Repeater Shotgun and Hasty Reload x2 or x3.

There are things about Tesla VS Lovecraft that I like, but the balance is definitely not one of them. Whether you succeed in a level comes down more to what weapons and perks the game gives you then any degree of skill. It's one thing to have the earlygame weapons be kind of trash (which only really applies to the Shotgun), it's entirely another that almost all the defensive/utility perks are pure loving garbage and only there to prevent you from getting too many damage upgrades.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 23, 2018

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Orv posted:

They're describing it as a story driven XCOM-esque game.

I for one have exactly zero problems with the sudden explosion of XCOM as a genre. :getin:

I know, right? Between this and Mechanicus AND Battletech I'm loving stoked, 2018 is gonna be an amazing year for strategy AND CRPGs.

VV Edit: Jesus. I mean, I'm sure just statistically speaking one of these games is going to get delayed till 2019, but even THEN it will be an amazing, unprecedented crop.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I picked up Injustice for $5, but I can't stand the dial-a-combo bullshit. Injustice 2 is more of the same, right?