Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How the gently caress is everything Dark Souls related on sale but Dark Souls 3's DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's not a coincidence that the thing you most want to buy is the thing not on sale.

True, but what's weird is that the "Complete Edition" is on a super discount as well.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I missed the days when Valve made videogames.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

But it's still not cheaper than the DLC - you're basically getting the main game for 50 cents if you're willing to pay for the full-price DLC.

drat Souls series with its legs!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is Cosmic Star Heroine any good? I remember it getting a lot of hyped but it released and...nothing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Beelerzebub posted:

Any good (J/S/C)RPGs or RTSs you all would recommend on the summer sale?

Trails in the Sky.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Beelerzebub posted:

I already own them. I'm actively awaiting the release of the Zero translation.

Edit: and all of the Ys games as well before someone says that.

The Last Remnant was good when I played it a few years ago.

Lisa is a good "not Mother" type JRPG.

Buy Xenoblade on Nintendo eShop then emulate it on Dolphin is another suggestion.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Here's some of my hidden gem picks

Aurion- A 2-D beat-em-up-esque Action RPG made by a team in Cameroon set in a fantasy world inspired entirely by cultures all over Africa. Writing starts off rough but it turns into a genuinely good JRPG style tale.

Is this game good or is it only notable because it's the first ARPG (African Role Playing Game)?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

One more question about Prey, is the map design like System Shock 2 or Bioshock?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

I never played it, but from the quick look that came out a while ago, it looks like a good game that is maybe held back by its limited budget/the fact that this is the team's first game.

From the quick look I got the vibe that the game plays a little bit like a Vanillaware game with the way combat is designed. The thing that turned me off is some of the artwork feels a little budgety/reminds me of Flash-style animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuMiSDjJL4o

Thanks.

Frog Act posted:

Imo it is much more like bioshock except for a few segments, and also the space segments

Samuringa posted:

It's very open-ended, although the main story does nudge you through a specific path there are multiple ways of accessing whatever goal you're trying to achieve.

I just really enjoyed System Shock 2's labyrinth liked design.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Small list but I think it is good, any opinions?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Naar posted:

Did you try the demo? I thought it looked good from the store page, but didn't enjoy the demo at all.

Koburn posted:

D&D is a clunky mess, try the demo first to see if you can put up with it.

I enjoyed the demo. Just wondered whether or not the game gets long in the tooth.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Definitely get Trails in the Sky. Cold Steel is definitely not as good as Sky, but it is not "total poo poo, refund immediately".

Yeah. Cold Steel isn't bad but from my time with it it was just another JRPG. Sky on the other hand is something special.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sky may have mediocre gameplay but the map design is fantastic. Great sense of exploration.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What's the soon to be hottest new indie game out now?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dungeons & Darkness is fun as long as you can get passed the horrible combat. But even then so that kind of makes it appealing in a way.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is CrossCode worth playing yet or is it still in early access?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Xaris posted:

iirc they're working full-steam ahead for a launch this fall. I purchased it already but have been waiting to really dig into it until launch, but it supposedly totally playable

I brought the game for like $2 when it was bundled with literally like 80 other games years ago.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Too Shy Guy posted:

Aquaria is a gorgeous, sprawling one set under the ocean, and Odallus is a retro dark fantasy one that'll definitely push your NES Castlevania buttons. I've reviewed both if you need convincing.

Blast from the loving past.

Aquaria was like the first ambitious 2D indie game ever.

While the game is certainly nothing special today, it was amazing for its time. Especially since the only other 2D game with such effort was Odin Sphere.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 27, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

iconoclasts

I heard that this is more puzzle-adventure than action-adventure.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Huh, didn't realize Zone of the Enders 2 was coming out on Steam. Seems like it's slated for a September 4th release.

I got excited until I saw $30.

nekoxid posted:

All I want is a good MGS PW port for PC.

Pretty much this. The only Metal Gear game I haven't played. I heard it's bad though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Should I play Prey in Survival mode or not? Is it better?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Prey reminds me of Metro 2033. It initially released to disappointing commercial and critical acclaim, but overtime garnered a strong cult following.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Prey's name probably did it a bigger disservice than anything, which is kind of a shame since (in a vacuum) Prey is a pretty cool thing to call your game.

I thought it was a reboot of that weird mediocre Native American FPS with vagina doors.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Unless I missed something the critical acclaim for Prey was huge from the start, it's just that nobody actually expected it to be System Shock 3.

The game averaged 80 or so. Which is considered "good" but not "great".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prey_(2017_video_game)

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, but it hurt the game's image a bit. If you were a die-hard Prey fan you were mad they just repurposed the IP, and if you weren't a fan but were vaguely aware of it, you might have assumed it had something to do with the old game and ignored it until told otherwise.

I mean...THAT Prey was seen as mediocre. Reminds me of Ubisoft and Red Steel 2.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

They should have called the game "Shell Shock" or "Status Shock" or something similar.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

System Failure
System Critical
System Third

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Am I just really bad at Prey? These phantom monsters keep killing me. I'm at the Trauma Center right now.

Deformed Church posted:

Hellblade is my 2017 GOTY and is 40% off. Go get.

What is Hellblade about? All I know about it is that it promonately features a a Scottish woman from Braveheart.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So Prey is awesome and is literally what I wanted "story focused" FPS to be.

Very little hand holding, lots of freedom, very atmospheric, punishing if you aren't careful, etc.

It really is System Shock 3.

Though to be fair, I still prefer System Shock 2 so far.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Shadowrun: Returns was pretty cool for the first couple of hours. But then gets insanely boring. The game is also linear to the point where it's almost a JRPG. It scared me away from the series to be honest.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Lorini posted:

Steam to provide steam spy alternative. Developers were using SteamSpy for market research but now Valve says they plan a replacement. Hope it's still open to players as well.

SteamSpy was fantastic. But this will be pointless of it isn't open to everybody (e.g. first time indie developers).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What are people's opinions on Steam's storefronts floodgates? Do you mean more with the "let everything through" train of thought, or agree more with Jim Sterling that the storefront is a giant wastepit that needs to be cleaned?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What's better A Hat in Time or Super Mario Odyessy?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Get Witcher 3 from GOG so the developer gets more money.

Also, you actually own the game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is going against enemies in Prey suppose to be so tough still 8 hours in? It seems I'm always low on resources taken them out. Does this game take the Metro approach in terms that you are almost always vulnerable?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zereth posted:

Have you been upgrading your weapons? How are you fighting?

Because no, it gets easier as you get more skills and upgrade your weapons and so on.

I mean things get easier, but it still seems relatively difficult to kill the phantoms.

I have been upgrading my weapons.

Bad Seafood posted:

Have you remembered to recycle young man? :colbert:

I have been up until pretty recently because once you get to Abornaum (sorry for spelling) I can't find a recycling machine.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Have you been upgrading all your weapons, or focusing on one or two? Because I've found it's better to stick to one or two and max those out. Plus, don't be afraid to get powers. Psyshock + upgraded shotgun is a great combo, as is shotgun + combat focus.

Yeah I've been upgrading shotgun and silencer. But I often only have so much ammo.

I mean the game isn't that hard, I was just wondering if it's suppose to mirror Metro in terms of combat, or of I'm playing it wrong.

Edit - I'm at Gunsmith 1 and have two psychic attacks unlocked. I've unlocked Hacking the most as I'm about to unlock Hacking IV.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 30, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zereth posted:

Do you have Combat Focus? The damage bonus it gives (it might require upgrading it past the base level) helps a lot. Turrets aren't great but collecting the local turrets and setting them up in the same spot can help you save ammo by luring enemies into them.

The stun gun is also really good, and note that upgrading its ammo capacity is actually upgrading its efficiency. You put the same amount of Electricity in it, but get more shots out of it. There's a few types of enemies it actually outright damages in addition to stunning, too.

Oh poo poo. I gotta try this.

Thanks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

One thing to note about turrets - be careful how you place them; if you've got some Typhon powers, they will consider you a target as well. That being said, they are generally easy to avoid.

In addition to what everyone else said:
-Sneak attacks are your friend. There's very few enemies capable of surviving being brained by a wrench from behind. The stealth pistol ain't too shabby either.
-The gimmick glue gun is actually really useful in combat as well, its ability to tie enemies down to buy you time to move in with the wrench is utterly indispensable against some enemies. And even the boltcaster can kill certain enemies... And distract the rest.
-You don't always have to fight; you almost never have to fight on anyone else's terms. Prey is chock-full of environmental hazards, pipes that spew fire, electricity, explosive containers... the environment is your most powerful weapon.
-If all else fails, just run. There's no shame in stealthy scavenging; you will be back later to bring the pain.

Thanks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

In Prey can I save Dayo Ingew. That one African guy who was trapped in that cargo thing in space? I managed to find him and open the door but...yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

James Woods Fan posted:

Pretty sure RPS voted Devil Daggers GOTY recently...

Is this game really that good? It just seems really repetitive random generated maps from the trailers/reviews.