Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I dunno, I like Pyre, it looks beautiful.

But it ain't no bastion or transistor. Doesn't have to be the same though, so that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Samuringa posted:

For Honor to get dedicated servers, among other things

There's a lot of words there so basically they're working on it but there's no release date yet.

I'm sorry, but loving WHAT?

They are working on it NOW? On the one game I wanted to be awesome, but wasn't because the mostly multiplayer game has a lovely multiplayer P2P system where you can just completely get disconnected for no reason?

I mean, i'm glad they are working on it, but this kinda pisses me off that they launched the game like this.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
And then the game will be good, right guys?

I remember waiting awhile for Beyond Earth to get better so i can finally purchase it. But now that there's no more new content, well...

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 28, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Holy poo poo I just S-Ranked the secret boss on Furi, that poo poo was pretty good

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Anybody waiting on Absolver? I kinda want to play For Honor but with martial arts

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
At this point, thanks to early access, kickstarters, and steam greenlit, people seem to miss the variety of reasons for thumbs down reviews of people who have played for so many hours.

I think Slime Rancher and 20XX are the only kickstarters that are either finishing up or have finished, and still have a huge amount of thumbs up reviews. Probably because they care and/or are able to deliver new stuff on time.

And i remember a few EAccess games that turned sour, like Darkest Dungeon's corpse design decision in the middle of it, Starbound taking forever and feeling unfinished, Next Car Game taking forever, etc etc.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

SirSamVimes posted:

Everyone should really buy Hollow Knight while it's on sale for $10, it's a wonderful game and the new bosses added with the free DLC are excellent.

Maybe it's just me. I'm a huge fan of Metroidvanias and all that. But with Hollow Knight I am completely lost. I just got the first spell, and I don't know where the hell to go. Am I always going to have the nail as a primary weapon?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm cool with the one weapon though. One of my favorite Metroidvanias is Richter Mode, just one weapon, with style.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

SirSamVimes posted:

That thing from Bioshock Infinite isn't even meant to be a puzzle.

Yeah, right? it's the only note he had to enter a sky world, this isn't loving myst

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Samuringa posted:

I wish I knew how Telltale worked, because their output is baffling. Walking Dead S1 was good and a success, which made them jump to this interactive novel style. Since then, the only thing they made that stood out was Tales From The Borderlands(which is spectacular); everything else ranges from "Eh" to "Never Play It".

Wolves Among Us was pretty good.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Im playing Owlboy and i'm stuck on the pirate ship after getting the last companion. Someday i'll finish it, but there's so goddamn many games out there

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

WOooooaaaaAH gently caress, WHO IS JOHN DOE? He looks l-

Oh my god, really Playstation

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

poptart_fairy posted:

He was called John Doe in the game, not the Joker.

Yeah, I know that and all but.

I don't know, I think maybe yes, this will shape an iconic rivalry no matter what your poo poo choices, don't you think

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I really really really liked VA-hall-11-A, Steam, but that really doesn't mean that I will probably enjoy Gal Gun VR.

I don't understand this thing

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
From a gameplay standpoint, MGSV is loving awesome. 300 hours in and i'm still playing from time to time.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 19, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's satisfying to play but it's far from amazing. It is devoid of any challenge and once you realise that it becomes extremely hollow for a great many people myself included. It's like Just Cause, but more grounded.

Playing it on the PC, and somebody recently released 50 new side ops with a little flavor text, so you get something like "Rescue the Filmmakers" or instead of RESCUE PRISONER 03. They're actually pretty challenging, and when you have all the weapons, you tend to just make your own difficulty if you're bored.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
What the gently caress was with the marketing for Prey anyway? You'd think after scrapping Prey 2's premise of U.S Marshall turned Blade runner after all these years and doing everything from scratch, they would try to sell the game. But no, I heard Prey was coming out like two days before launch.

It was DOOM all over again, except I have not played Prey yet. Waiting for it to be cheaper.

I tried the Surge Demo. I am a huge Dark souls fan, and I gave Lords of the fallen a chance...Surge just feels like a really incomplete Lords of the fallen. Not being able to switch to other enemies (instead targetting body parts with joystick swipes) effectively makes the stupid Dark Souls 2 style ambushes a real pain in the rear end.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Cojawfee posted:

Well it's currently 30 bucks and it's really good.

Speaking of Prey How far can I go into alien mods before the turrets start shooting at me?

It's cheap enough that I am considering one of two options.

One, a game that I've been waiting for years to play, that's prey, for 30 bucks. It's not a sequel to the original prey, but it doesn't have to be. I am willing to try what System Shock would look like this year.

Two, a game that i've been waiting for years to play, that's Hellblade, for 30 bucks. I'm looking for a story, one that has the balls to show stuff you wouldn't show in most forms of entertainment.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

I didn't believe you, but, there it is.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I was completely sold on Dragonfall. Hong Kong i am struggling to complete, i just felt bored solving that mystery with the elders. I can barely remember how far I got on the first one i played, Returns. I think I was supposed to find a decker or something?

But Dragonfall. That one right there is one of the good ones.

Sivek posted:

re: video game ads in the 90's ruled

The top ad might be art and hopefully whoever decided on the the perfect in-game screenshot got a bonus.

C&C, lmao.

Holy poo poo. C&C is my poo poo, and I never knew this was one of their ads.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

nachos posted:

What does shadowrun dragonfall do better to make it consistently recommended over HK?

The story, and the way the game integrates it. It was enough that i was looking past the shadowrun combat system itself and looked at it as a chore rather than something i'll immediately put off and play something else.

Simple answer, but it's true.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Dias posted:

Dark Souls-style procedural roguelike metroidvania battle royale card game MOBA with big ol' anime tiddies.

i call it...the aristocrats

It better come with achievements and actual cards

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
That raises a question.

When a brand new studio or some run of the mill triple AAA does the annoying inception poo poo, it's annoying.

but if it's a studio that did something awesome a long time ago, is it endearing? or is it still annoying.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Palpek posted:

Wait, Bethesda actually added a "Power Horse Armor" as one of the paid mods in the update. It costs $5.

A time of reflection that we went from the very beginnings, which was 5 dollar Horse Armor in oblivion, which pissed everybody off

To this. People are still pissed off, but it's not any worse than what other companies have been parroting all these years.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
As soon as i made it to hell, that's when Shadow Warrior turned me off. I had some colossus boss i couldn't figure out what to do, so i just uninstalled it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

DaveKap posted:

I'd hate to see how you fared with Mario 64.

I barely ever played Mario 64. I played Cruisin' USA motherfucker.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Orv posted:

It doesn't, but it also causes absolutely no issues for a legitimate user, so it doesn't matter.

So why add it on there?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I thought John McCain was cool, thought he made good points and it all went to poo poo when he ditched it all when he ran for president. Will this comment serve as evidence whenever I get off my rear end and make some content that might be good or bad?

I mean look, I watched Yahtzee's stuff when he started out, but lately i haven't watched his stuff. Just because this seemingly jaded prick said he listens to Milo Y, this is when he's bad now?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Shima Honnou posted:

"Behind every racist joke is a scientific fact" ~Milo Y.

I've heard of him before, and yeah he sounds like a real poo poo-stirrer. He does have the right to say it, even if it's dumb as poo poo.

Still, going from that to "And that's why i don't follow a video game reviewer on the internet." Is kinda weird. That is also your right though, just as it's my right to say hey maybe that's wierd. We're going in circles, i'm going to stop now.

SO HEY! Is Absolver any good? I'm in the mood for dark souls but with punching and drunken fist fighting. Also with working servers maybe?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Lyrai posted:

Honest question, why is that a thing? The stereotype of "Latinos just pirate everything." I grew up in Texas so I just always dismissed it as fervent racism that was wholly a lie, but it was an actual thing? Forgive my ignorance, I'm just genuinely curious if it was just easier or if it was a cost thing, since I know companies love to use regional pricing to gently caress over people were they can.

It's not a north american thing, it's a south american thing.

Finding legit copies was a hard thing, and I remember someone from the family bringing in some PS2 CDs for games that just did not work on our PS2 here in the states because they were clearly pirated copies.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
After playing it for a bit, does Pyre count as a VN?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The same way Persona 4 does, yeah.

Alright then, this is my list of great VNs

1)Pyre

2)Va-hall-11-A: Cyberpunk Bartender action

aaaand that's all i got. I'll try STEINS;GATE someday, somebody recommended it to me

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
A fully automatic assault rifle also solves a lot of problems in shadowrun:dragonfall.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

corn in the bible posted:

borderlands IS bad

It got lucky because it was during a drought where people desperately wanted a diamond in the rough loot game, WITH cel shading. I think the last game that did that was XIII and that was a couple years apart

I'm talking cel shaded FPS specifically.

il_cornuto posted:

Borderlands 2 is extremely good.

Bioshock's story was overrated, Infinite's gameplay was underrated.

I did like how there'd be chord struck or a piano note anytime you shot a bad guy in the face

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Dias posted:

Wait, why? The guns don't feel great or even all that distinct, the powers aren't that powerful or interesting and it's a series of arenas that last waaaay too long for my taste with enemies that take waaay too much damage to die. Everyone rates it as "mediocre" and I think that's fair.

Maybe it's because you get a sidekick in the fights that never really feels like she's in your way and bothersome. It felt really satisfying fighting a bunch of dudes, almost running out of ammo, and having her throw a gun at me to continue the action, it felt like it was straight out of a movie.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Justin_Brett posted:

In the end game of Returns I was forced to end a turn instead of killing one of the bugs because the icon for shooting them wouldn't appear, and there was no manual way to target from what I could tell. That engine has always seemed a bit clunky to me.

I had a situation where the AI would not take his turn, leaving me stranded forever.

Luckily this is also the same time I decided to look up console commands just incase, and yeah, I had to kill the guy with a cheat command to keep the game going properly

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Nier:Automata AND Vanquish % off of midweek madness?

Does steam want me to be poor?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Orv posted:

Sadly it's just not good. It was sort of in question with Deadliest Warrior (which I liked a lot but had many problems) but I think Torn Banner doesn't really understand what people at large like about Chivalry. Which is a shame in the extreme.

Half of the fun of playing Chivalry: Modern Warfare seriously was the voices. Taunting and screaming into the fray was so much loving fun.

I'll never forget having one of those moments where i killed three people in a row as a knight. I was at near death after the fight, with enemy #4 showing up with a javelin. I just get up to him and tell him how i tire of mead, and that i thirst for blood. He threw a javelin at my neck mid-taunt.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
That difficulty slider is hilarious and makes light of a serious situation, which is something Trey Parker and Matt Stone have been doing for years.

A basic loving reminder that people seem to miss is that sometimes comedy is making something hilarious out of a serious topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Hated the shock gloves because it threw off the timing i was so used to on arkham city. I did not use shock gloves intentionally and avoided using the concussion grenade, because if you miss, it kills your combo.

Also it's a night and day difference when you saw them pepper their mediocre new animations with the really good old arkham city ones. Still, it's the only game with the challenge map that lets you fight 100 people, and i loved it.