Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm not convinced if it doesn't hold up to redwall's standard of a ferret decapitated on every page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yeah there's no good weapons like the shotgun that instakills most of the enemies in the game when built for it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leal posted:

Isn't Titanfall 2 dead like a week after release?

What? No? The new coop mode they just added is great and I'm having no trouble finding games.

I got it for $20 on sale which is worth it for the fantastic campaign alone, add in coop and it's unexpectedly one of my favorite games to come out in the last year. If it's on origin access then yes, get origin access. I didn't know they had a $30/year option, I've just been subscribed for the $5/month which is already incredibly good for the games they have on there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PerilPastry posted:

Is Borderlands 2 worth it if you're a weirdo like me who prefers single-player?

I enjoy it solo but only as the mechromancer. After playthrough 1 I found the game's scaling issues hit the other classes I tried way more and make it pretty unfun, while the mechromancer stays fun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Make no mistake, TF2's community is small compared to most AAA shooters, but that doesn't really matter when you only need 4 people to have a complete game. I didn't have much trouble finding games in vermintide during its lowest point when it had under 400 concurrent players.

It might be a different story if you bought TF2 solely for the competitive modes since you need more players for a full game and I imagine the players are mostly pros now, but respawn said august had the most concurrent players since 8 months ago or somesuch so it's not about to vanish.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gort posted:

TF2 is not a good abbreviation for Titanfall 2

ok

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there a reason why the cook serve delicious guy had to release right then? Because it sounds like he is uncomfortably willing to sacrifice his health and well being to meet a deadline...when he's in charge of the deadline since he's independent, and even with that much sleep loss he had no option but to release without a fully finished product anyway

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Looks cool but apparently requires java, which I refuse to install.

Is this a joke or do you legitimately run literally nothing but what, .net programs

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I still get recommended anime games because STALKER call of pripyat is or was tagged as anime

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I liked persona 5 so I'll allow it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Azran posted:

Darkwood: anyone got tips? I feel like I don't know what should I prioritize/accomplish as soon as the game begins.

Yeah, I think the less you know about the game the better, but here's some advice. To get off the ground you really need some wood and nails, which will let you build a nail board (your first weapon) and barricade your windows so you can keep things from getting into your house at night from most angles (obviously barricades aren't invincible but you want the warning).

You also need gasoline, because you have to keep the generator running at night, and it runs your sawmill which is used to turn logs into wood planks. You'll find gas cans in lots of places just by exploring, but wood and nails tend to be found particularly in logging areas--check your map regularly to know where you are. You want to find a landmark that looks like a pile of logs on the map. Time does not run when looking at the map or your journal.

Every night you survive, you get some free reputation (basically money) with the trader. I recommend prioritizing stuff you need to upgrade your workshop and your inventory size when thinking about what to buy from him.

Hope that's not too vague but your map won't have landmarks in the same places as mine, and the game really shines when you don't know what to expect.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gonna restate how great darkwood is since it was mentioned again

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Should probably only show you the review % for reviews in your language at the top of the page, or at least make that a toggle set to true by default

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Other than mimics there is only one straight-up jump scare in the game.

You will know it when it happens because it will get you good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dias posted:

I ate that one super good, I wasn't even mad.

Normally I hate that kind of thing but something about how utterly shameless the one in prey is, combined with the fact that it's the only thing in the game like that, meant I couldn't even get mad at it. I got owned

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Except nobody counts that because they are obviously not the same thing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Really Pants posted:

what's so bad about racist games

Mario Kart and F-Zero were great

Don't forget kirby air ride, a very underappreciated racesim

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Consumers shouldn't give a hot poo poo about Ubisoft's or EA's bottom lines either through their own services or copy protection and I question the opinions of anyone that says 'my dude its fine!' because the only reason why Uplay or Origin exists is for Ubisoft and Electronic Arts to make more money. Do they offer anything for the end-user now? Without defaulting to company profits?

Yes origin access is great.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No. It just bungled its marketing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morter posted:

I asked someone if I should get Dishonored 2, and they said that I shouldn't if I didn't care enough to beat the first one, because they're almost exactly the same game, engine/features/QoL wise. That true?

Depends why you stopped playing the first one. It's pretty accurate but dishonored 2 has about four times as many nonlethal options, mostly because just about every trigger that lets you instakill someone with your sword now gives you the option to knock them out instead. If you wanted to do low chaos in dishonored 1 but got bored of your options being "choke a dude out or rarely tranquilize one" compared to the twenty different lethal attacks you had, dishonored 2 will feel a lot better.

The graphics are also way better than the muddy-looking mess of dishonored 1 and it has more memorable levels, so it may hold your interest better even though the gameplay is about the same.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Excuse me, registering here just to self-promote is frowned upon, mister. :mad:

(Also please play and review Darkwood)

Seconding this, I finished it last week and what a great game. I'm going to play it again sometime since the map layout is random.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Don't worry about installing the game on an SSD anyways, my PSpoor with stock hard drive takes all of two seconds to load after a death which shows up from software pretty hard. There's one lengthy load to start a level and the performance from then on is fantastic.

I really wish I could figure out nioh. I found it a frustrating case or wanting to like a game but having a hard time actually enjoying it. The game explains fuckall and things constantly happen that make no sense or seem inconsistent with the game's rules as they are presented. I got to halfway through the game and put it on hold because I just had no idea how the game's rules even worked anymore.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Seriously though, every game with fashion barbie needs to do nioh's thing and let you make any piece of armor look like any other piece of armor you've found. Thats great.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

God, I was just thinking about playing Stalker again. I've got the first one and Clear Sky, but which one holds up best? And what about essential mods and such?

Call of pripyat is the generally agreed upon one

If you don't want a kitchen sink ukrainian madness mod like misery or redux, just grab one of the big weapon packs like arsenal overhaul or CoPWP.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Also look into atmosfear and autumn aurora for graphics/weather improvements.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

It generally is easier yeah, because the enemies don't cheat. They have a (visible) stamina bar to manage and can't just infinite-chain attacks. The initial hump is way worse than any Souls game though (except maybe Bloodborne?) because they frontload the 2 hardest bosses to the first two missions, a point at which you don't have access to most of your skills no matter how much you grind (because they're story locked). By Act 3 you've got options coming out your rear end and things feel a lot easier.

I have seen enemies attack with no stamina multiple times, as well as tons of other things that seemed like they broke the rules based on how I understood them (and the game does fuckall to actually explain the intricacies of these things if they are more complicated than what it tells you in its very limited tutorial). Crap like that made me distrustful of any mechanics I thought I understood and left me without any idea how to actually get better at the game. I've never played another game like nioh where I felt like I understood it less and less the more I played it. By the time I put it down, 5 minutes couldn't go by without something happening that made no sense to me, like blocking an attack and losing a chip of stamina when I previously blocked that exact same attack and lost all my stamina.

I found it a lot harder than the souls series and bloodborne after awhile since I can actually understand what the hell is happening in those games, poise notwithstanding.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

William knows how to understand japanese because a chill ghost cat shows up to help him for reasons I can't quite recall and makes him spontaneously know the language

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nioh plot is just stuff happens for no reason randomly, so it probably didn't get explained.

Well let's be honest, "a ghost cat happened" with no context is a way better reason than anything else they could have come up with or tried to explain

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Xaris posted:

Immortal Redneck update just dropped to include an Infinite Pyramid. Nice to see them still supporting it, but I wish they'd loving kill the vampire trait. I almost don't want to even try it because I know I'm going to get it :argh:

Thoughts on this game overall? I like the idea of a roguelite FPS from ziggurat but I hated how much RNG could bone you in that game, where success on hard difficulty felt like it came down to not getting screwed on awful room modifiers/blessings/duplicate weapons. Redneck looks a lot more interesting with its room layouts but I don't know how its RNG works.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Good this thread was missing witch hunts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Steam just downloaded 4.3 GB of divinity 2 for me. I can't find info about a patch or anything. What is this?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oh right I forgot I wasn't following it on steam.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

You're dispensing an absyrd amount of jystice there

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orv posted:

So you can twist the corpse around as it grotesquely spurts blood from it's slashed arteries. That early level where you get to the camp with the watch tower and are given a knife, I jumped up on the watch tower and slit the guys throat, and then just sat there going :stare: as he continued to gush blood for about three minutes with an ever spreading PS2-era blood decal.

I play a lot of violent games but a video I saw of overgrowth years ago where a bunny slit another bunny's throat seriously bothered me more than anything I've played. The way it modeled the blood coming out in spurts was nasty as hell, ugh.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Is the pre-sequel just the regular version or is it a goty type version that includes the dlc?

I suspect it's just the vanilla version but I'm hopeful it includes the dlc

Borderlands 2 says "plus DLCs" under it and the pre sequel does not so it's probably just the base.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The four gameplay DLCs are definitely worth playing (some would debate whether that's true of hammerlock's but eh). But the game isn't exactly short without them.

My advice is not to bother with anything past TVHM (playthrough 2). If you have a good setup like anarchy gaige then it's really fun up to there but they cocked it up bad past that point.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orv posted:

It's just 'u' you dumbos!

Some people just aren't good at reading the sybtext.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I don't get the love for Campaign of Carnage (beyond Mister Torgue being funny). Captain Scarlett also didn't make a big impression on me. And both of them suffer from not scaling to endgame on the first playthrough for some unfathomable reason. Hammerlock's would be alright if not for the annoying enemies, IMO.

I agree that torgue's is the least interesting because the areas are a lot like the ones in the base game, but :torgue: is enough to carry it. Scarlett's has some fun areas like the pirate cave and the washburne refinery, and the reward for finishing it is great. But yeah, it's weird that they are always level 15 in normal mode but start at your level in TVHM, so you pretty much have to do them in TVHM for any kind of challenge

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, being sandwiched literally a week between Battlefield and Call of Duty releases probably didn't help matters much there. I think it had much bigger marketing issues that no amount of exploitation could have solved.

This is one of the most tragically dumb things EA has done recently. They even own one half of that sandwich and they still decided to ruin the game's chances at success, which blows because drat titanfall 2 is great.

In spite of the game's small population I'm still having no problems finding frontier defense games so I'm gonna remind everyone with any interest to try titanfall 2 because the campaign is fantastic, frontier defense is a great co-op mode, and it's on origin access so you can get it for really cheap. Can't commend on the competitive MP since I haven't tried it but I can recommend it for everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok so I tried titanfall 2's competitive tonight and now I can recommend that too