Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

IIRC the speedrun for the game legitimately uses the peasant mob strategy to defeat him early and win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man I love the retro trend of updating old art styles. I never thought I'd actually be nostalgic for this era of graphics, but man, with some good art direction, anything can shine.

this is something I appreciated about AMID EVIL; the game’s pixel filter and low res models and textures could have just been an excuse to have low-effort graphics under the guise of aping old shooters, except it was absolutely done as a stylistic choice and the game’s art direction is top notch in its own right. so many good visual features like the sun going out after you kill the sun boss and the skybox spinning below you, the parts of arcane expanse where you climb up into water floating above you, etc.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bardeh posted:

I just loaded up Talos Principle because it's on Game Pass, and it's the first game ever to give me motion sickness. I had to turn it off after ten minutes. There's even options in the menu to reduce motion sickness, which tells me the devs must have been aware that it's a problem, but none of them seemed to help much. Something to do with the really smooth movement, maybe?

The game has a third person mode, see if that improves it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Good. Streaming services are a way to funnel money from customers to greedy corporations. You mean I get to pay a monthly fee AND full retail price for the privilege of not actually owning my games, AND I get unnecessary latency issues as well? Sign me the gently caress up!

even if streaming actually worked perfectly it would amount to more erosion of consumer control over what they own and more power in the hands of corps. Stadia failing is a good thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Amid Evil question: I decided to try playing it classic Doom style with pistol start for each level, but I couldn't find any weapon pickups in the second level. Will all the levels involve a lot of running around with the axe before I can find a ranged weapon?

the game already starts you with no weapons but the axe at the start of each episode so I'm not sure what you're trying to do.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Is deep rock galactic anything as a single player game? All my coop buds are either deep in school work or job crises atm

it’s entirely playable singleplayer as it scales the number of bugs to number of players, and playing solo also gives you a robot that can do the basic jobs of other players on command. however I wouldn’t really recommend it as a solo game since it really is a game about chilling out with friends. there’s a couple of goon groups for the game and the experience of joining public games is also perfectly fine normally.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

buglord posted:

Disco Elysium is an overrated VN for CSPAM memers, don’t play it

well poo poo, sounds like something I've overlooked unfairly

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

kater posted:

Someone tell me a cool game from this year. I've played Disco Elysium, Dicey Dungeons, Baba is You, Sekiro, and DMC5.

blasphemous

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Junkie Disease posted:

any good pve games with a sense of progression out there thats online coop and not 40+ bucks? Vermintide is just dull as heck

HELLDIVERS but only if you have friends to play it with (needs level of coordination you can’t guarantee from randoms)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Veotax posted:

There is actually talk that Bioware might be working on Final Fantasy XIV-style re-working to try to save the game.

https://kotaku.com/sources-bioware-plans-a-complete-overhaul-for-anthem-1839892415

I have doubts it'll actually work though, what happened with FFXIV was insane.

this is not possible. anthem is so much of a trainwreck that almost every conceivable part of it would have to be rebuilt to end up with a good product, and this would have to be done with the same people and the same tools that produced the original trainwreck. I sincerely hope they don’t try because trying to salvage anthem will do nothing but make the lives worse of everyone who has to touch it. leave it as a cautionary tale and move on

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

can’t believe sony and microsoft are killing console gaming with these outlandish 30% cuts

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

tbh after all the videos I saw, I was extremely disappointed how well the game worked for me on ps4. almost no bugs of any kind. I found a way to make a minor physics miracle happen by eating soup in a certain way but that was the best I could manage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Misc good indie games to look at that should be fine on a weaker laptop:

Dead cells
Nuclear throne
Void bastards
Blasphemous
Ori and the blind forest

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I played it, you honestly didn't miss much, it is much shallower and samey than the description promises it to be. I gave up on it before the return period was even up.

void bastards on what it sounds like you played on normal difficulty at depth 1 is maybe an overly mild intro to the game which does not push you into the good decision-making and tough situations that make the game so engaging to navigate on Hard Bastard.

you have an incredible number of takes about things you barely engaged with from one angle before dropping.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

in general I recommend anyone starting void bastards for the first time to begin on hard, and then hard bastard after that. normal overflows you with resources too quickly and so you rarely have to make very tough decisions. Hard is better but can still get comfy at points. Hard bastard is best but just not a good idea to start without knowing the game since it requires getting past the start of the game with 16 bullets and a single jump of spare resources.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97rzGX8vVCM

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Everything the Ashen partner AI does, the Code Vein AI does better.

how did this game turn out in the end anyway? It came out and then I pretty much stopped hearing about it, and while I can tolerate anime enough to call persona 5 my GOTY the year that came out, god drat was there a dangerous concentration of anime on display in code vein

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Andrast posted:

Speaking of games with "Age of" in the title, is Age of Wonders: Planetfall any good? I'm wondering if it's worth going into since it's available on the xbox game pass

Yes but start with age of wonders 3

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FanaticalMilk posted:

Is this the same one by Night Dive where the head of the studio said something like, "We got in way over our heads, this was our first actual game development and we didn't account for how much more goes into this compared to the ports we've done in the past. This has been a huge money pit and we've run out of new ports to prop up the development, we need to reevaluate everything from the ground up."

not exactly. it was that they overscoped after they moved to unreal and saw everything they could do with it, and had to reevaluate because it pushed them over budget while they couldn’t find a publisher to fund them. from what I’ve heard they are back on track but I don’t know what they got their funding from after that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Dishonored 2 is 75% off...goonpinions? I liked the first one quite a bit, although it was kind of stupid how (major spoilers) most of the main characters end up betraying you.

It’s arkane’s best game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

god, I’m loving up everything in disco elysium so bad

I’m the trainwreck of a human the game promised me I could be, but unintentionally

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

It looked like UnderMine has... idk if there is a short and pithy name for this... character improvement between levels, like Rogue Legacy*; BoI and EtG had unlocks but IIRC you couldn’t specifically improve your character over time, gamble on the next run or whatever. I like it when games have those!

“metaprogression” seems to be what people have settled on calling it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nowher posted:

Speaking of which... is Everspace worth finishing?

I put about 8 hours into the game and there seems to be a difficulty spike around chapter 6 & 7 which leads to my inevitable death.

Having to go back to the start and replay the first few chapters with limited upgrades feels like a bit of a drag.

It gets progressively better once you’ve unlocked enough blueprints to craft your way around, and you’ll die a lot less once you get the most important career upgrades for survival (-40% component break chance because components breaking will kill you, and the sector map upgrades so you can actually plot your course through less dangerous levels). there are also shortcuts you can find in the middle of a run to skip a sector.

Also any progress you make in sector 7 is preserved between runs so don’t feel bad about dying there as long as you make some progress there. just throw all your ARC-9000s and heavy missiles on it and destroy as much as you can.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

after searching I’ve again found the stuff on the library game page that I actually care about like my screenshots and installed DLC list, but it makes me scroll down past dumb poo poo I don’t care about like random anime fanart to get to it. it used to be visible right there near the top.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I've finally gotten around to playing Metro Exodus and it's sort of funny how the game's opening sort of just powers through the whole 2035 book in like half an hour :v:

Also lol how no one got better at their accents and these insane load times

Enable subtitles and change the voices to russian imo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You get subtitles for NPC conversations if you stand near them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Everspace is good. it just takes some work to get into it. my reaction to it pretty much went
1) this game’s visuals are great and the roguelite format is rad, I love it
2) three of my runs in a row just instantly ended to a bunch of poo poo randomly spawning on top of me, this game is bullshit
3) I unlocked a way to turn off the soft time limit and got enough upgrades + crafting recipes + knowledge to not die to random hordes spawning on me, I love the game again

some of the metaprogression upgrades are too important for survival, starting with no crafting blueprints means the whole crafting angle of the game/the main purpose of all the resources you collect basically doesn’t exist until you’re a number of runs in, and the ability to turn the soft time limit off is such a dramatic change in how the game feels that it should probably not be something you have to unlock. but stick with it and there’s a really good experience in there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Help me cull this a bit? Just shoot poo poo down.

cryptark’s the only one of those I’ve played other than disco, but I can’t really give it a rec. it’s a great design document and not great execution.

the game’s format and feel are really good but the visuals are really bad at communicating what things are/what their importance is to the gameplay, so it’s easy to make mistakes simply because your peripheral vision didn’t parse something as an enemy vs. a piece of background debris or a trap on a wall vs. some wreckage. this is pretty frustrating in an action game and slows you down for the wrong reasons when you really want to be moving as fast as possible.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

is surge 2’s weapon design better than 1’s or are the combos still unnecessarily specific nonsense with wildly inconsistent lengths of animation lock and timing? Is the camera no longer a nightmare?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Now seems like a good time to recognize synthetik’s sniper rifle called the 420 SNIPERDRAGON which displays how many degrees you spin and powers up if you do a 360 spin right before firing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Are there any good x-com-likes out there? Turn based squad combat, maybe with a campaign mode attached.

I don't know how much you can deviate from x-com without losing whatever it is that makes me love x-com, but somebody out there must have tried right?

mario + rabbids: kingdom battle

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I loved Xcom, played through it several-times, I bought 2 but never got round to playing it. Should I just buy war of the chosen and crack into that?

WOTC crams all of its new content and activities into the same length of game as base XCOM 2 so it can be overwhelming if you aren't familiar with the original stuff already. XCOM 2 is already a complete and good game (and better balanced than WOTC) so probably play at least a bit of that first, once you think you have the idea you can start a WOTC campaign.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zereth posted:

I am feeling like playing a new metroidvania game. Can somebody recommend some? I already have Hollow Knight and Bloodstained and i'm pretty sure i'm forgetting a big name one or two here that I already have.

Blasphemous

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zereth posted:

also, while good, Blasphemous isn't quite what I'm craving right now. Bloodstained would be perfect if I hadn't already beaten it and 100%ed the map and poo poo, I want something where the power level is more tilted in the favor of the PC. Anybody have recommendations for more obscure games in the genre that meet these requirements? (For example Environmental Station Alpha does not, endgame enemies take fewer hits to kill you at maximum attainable HP than starter enemies do a completely un-upgraded little robot man. Although the save file is in plaintext so once I got slightly deep into the weird postgame stuff I just edited it to give myself several thousand HP and just facetank my way through all this extra-hard poo poo)

EDIT: top down ones instead of sidescrollers would also work, a zelda-like instead of a metroid-like, f they're more about exploring to find where you can use your new tool to open up areas rather than "plot says you go here now"

have you played guacamelee? the game's not a joke but it's considerably easier than blasphemous.

Also look at gato roboto, it's very good although it's bite-size (2 hours) and more of a metroidvania in feel than practice

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

at least they didn’t spoil the boat

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

twitch prime added more free games this month:

gato roboto

this is worth downloading if you have prime. it's solid and can be completed in 2 hours.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rain world is loving awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

wait doesn't Disco Elysium have a problem with ties, nevermind

:hmmyes: