Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Jim Barris posted:

man i am really psyched about Ys VII coming to steam along with every other Ys game yet to be released.

personally am super excited for Ys VIII to see how it changes things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Xander77 posted:

It's the same game in a slightly different setting with basic quality of life improvements. It's quite possibly the most blatant Ubisoft ever was about recycling.

It came up several times on the first pages of the FC4 (happy?) thread, and stuck with me enough that I recalled it the moment I started playing.

Edit - No one is particularly confused when I refer to "rear end Creed".

Probably because a lot of people say rear end Creed, and because the logical leap in name alone is easy to make.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Turd Herder posted:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/newsroom/2017/09/11/pewdiepie-uses-racial-slur-livestream-causing-outrage/

Looks like Pewdiepie is making waves in his streams as of late When he called another gamer a N****r during a live stream. Wonder if this will be the final nail or just more publicity?

Are these people new to the world of the internet? I watched the video and didn't even realized what he had done until you pointed it out, simply because so many loving people do the same thing.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Ikari Worrier posted:

So Steam thread I finally played F.E.A.R. :staredog:

Are its expansions worthwhile at all or should I consider beating the main game a "good enough"?

If you enjoyed the game I would say keep going.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Wamdoodle posted:

Well it's more FEAR combat and some decent encounters. The stories are completely non-canon if you care about that sort of thing.

Does anyone care about the "canon" story of Fear? Rape scene and baby eating scene's included?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Zereth posted:

... I don't remember any of the Fear 1 protagonists talking, ever.

I remember the FEAR 2 DLC actually being pretty good. Opened with you playing a... I think Replica soldier? And then you get brain-hacked and have to fight your way through a bunch of your former comrades and then poo poo starts getting, uh, weird. In a good way, not a "the ending of FEAR 2 base game" way.

Yep, it ends by kicking of the beginning of Fear 1.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Unless you own one of the temporary crates from gamescom there are no microtransactions in PUBG at the moment.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Sininu posted:

I just don't want anyone wasting money on me... It's the worst feeling when I don't enjoy a game that was gifted to me.

Heads up, you can refund gifts and the money is returned to the gifter.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
I dreamed of a sequel to the first homefront, which had a much more workable premise.
Then we got The Revolution, where the US hosed itself over economically and people were starving, but its ok the guys with the food and stuff are evil.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Black Griffon posted:

So AssOrg has a photo feature that's actually pretty cool, cause it let's you take good Ansel-like photos and see a random selection of user photos on the map (and then heart them, so it's basically AbstergoGram). And quelle surprise, "sliding down the great pyramids" is the new "really funny perspective photo at the leaning tower of Pisa" and it's terrible.

Also it turns out I'm one of the assholes who enjoys the present day poo poo. The animus user is pretty cool, and the loads of lore and info you can find on her computer is interesting.

These are all good reasons, I'll give it another try.

Come to think of it, there is a slight possibility I played nolf2. That could explain it.
Edit: checked the wiki and this is indeed the case.

It helps that they gave the modern day character some actual character. She's relatively interesting in behavior and wants in life and seems to have more wants in life than to just be the players ragdoll.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Black Griffon posted:

And having a woman of color in this video game wasteland of white man meat doesn't hurt either.

So long as the writing about the person is interesting I couldn't care less what ethnicity or gender they are.
if the writing if focused on their Ethnicity or Gender the story tends to suffer for it, so in this case I am glad its more about her as a person and the world around her.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Rookersh posted:

I'm going to spoil the ending of the game. It's where most of the issues are.

Most of the game starts out and plays like a pretty stock standard WW2 shooter from back when those were popular. IE very lacking in the story department. You have some grumbling about one of the Sergeants being a hardass, worries about the war, talking about home, etc. But no real major plays across any of that. It's largely a stock standard WW2 shooter from that era, uprezzed and looking quite nice, with a few neat tricks like the supply/teammates thing. It's trying and failing to do the Band of Brothers "we all became brothers" motif, largely failing because nobody is really interesting enough, and they keep cycling characters around a bit too often.

And it's actually a longish campaign honestly. I clocked in around 9-10ish hours, which is pretty impressive for a CoD campaign.

So I'm rolling along, thinking this is basically just CoD2 again, this time better looking. Kind of thinking maybe it wasn't fully worth $60, but whatever, I'll probably try some Zombies, and maybe give the new War mode a try. There's a really uh, weird moment where the military guys you roll with start talking about the strength of German industrialization and how much Germany has produced for the world, and a bunch of talk about how the Wehrmacht is just like us ( it's only the SS that's bad! Activision needed? to get that Clean Wehrmacht myth in their game for whatever reason. ) which I wasn't fond of, but whatever.

Then around midway through the game ( ENDING SPOILERS ) the Jewish character in your squad gets captured/taken by the Nazis. And he is basically dropped from all conversation for most of the game until the end.

All of a sudden you NEED TO FIND OUR BOY and GET THE SQUAD FILLED, and your main character denies an Honorable Discharge so they can find him.

It pans off to you searching every Concentration Camp in Western Germany until you find a bunch of people that say an American Soldier was just dragged into the woods and was about to be executed. You and the squad run out and find a Nazi Commander executing the other people, and get a TAKE THE SHOT RED slo mo moment where you shoot him in the head, then go save your friend. Then it plays the Band of Brothers music?

Then it pans away to a year later as everyone is back home, and he's doing fine, due to the strength of your brotherhood! PTSD, whats that.

It's just.......really badly handled in every conceivable way. Like the initial thrust of the campaign, redoing all these battles doesn't really work in the slightest. I've fought all these fights before, better, in a variety of different ways. I've stormed these beaches and captured these cities in old CoD, with a team of people I genuinely liked in Brothers in Arms, from the generals vantage point in Company of Heroes. They should have done different battles, or gone in a different direction rather then just the Normandy > Hedgerows > Bulge cycle yet again.

And then you get to the ending and it's just. Kind of offensive. Like to take the Holocaust, one of the worst events in human history, and to try and dramatize it for the sake of your Band of Brothers TOGETHER moment is uh. Awful.

Especially when you look at the other CoD games. I realize have a very specific opinion on CoD games, but I've always loved their campaigns for being really schlocky action movie type games. Like oh man, a giant space war and we have the last ship/tons of twists and turns. That's a good one! Oh man, mind control/body horror storylines in the military industrial complex, that's neat if not particularly well told. Oh cool a story about PMCs in a weakened America.

These stories go places and do the absurd and make it work in an Apocalypse or Fast and Furious way. Like it's not -good-, but there is something to getting sent up to the ISS and having a gunfight with narcoterrorists up there. Why? Because it's a CoD campaign of course! To just have a "Heeeeere's Normandy" storyline, especially one so weirdly told is not really all that great.

Calling it typical WW2 shooter is giving it to much credit, the pacing was awful all the way true. Fight in paris (that you snuck into) and fight at a single Nazi HQ. Fight off the army, and not even 3 seconds after the soldiers in your particular sector starts retreating the entire city of Paris is celebrating and they know exactly where to go next? Holy gently caress game have you heard about pauses? If you want a WW2 CoD shooter go play United Offensive and CoD 2 for the best experience, this games voice acting, and story is garbage. Events are scripted that don't need to be. There is a tank sequence and if you hit the gas the tank will align with the turret, you cannot drive in one direction and aim in another, at all. Quick times are terrible for M/Kb and it feels like everything shooters learned over the years is just abandoned because.... reasons?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Sometimes the guys in Arma really get into their experience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv0KAvpP7-M

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You know, instant suspend-resume on consoles has spoiled me to the point where the time it takes to load into most PC games feels like forever, even with an SSD. Bonus if your game has unskippable company and middleware logos

http://www.pcgamer.com/durante-shows-off-an-instant-resume-feature-we-want-in-every-game/

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Ghetto Prince posted:

Ubisoft is running a 75% off weekend. Which asscreed is better, Unity or Syndicate?

Syndicate has more content than Unity in terms of open world stuff to do, but the story is less straight forward.
Unity got flack for running like rear end, at the current stage its fine and it really depends on what you want to see in Asscreed, Industrial London or French Revolution

That being said Syndicate has Evie's bonebreaking combat moves

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Xander77 posted:

Clear Sky faction wars experience in a nutshell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TWznUztdqw&t=193s
Even if (for some reason) you played and liked 3, avoid Liberation like the plague. It's the worst. Just... the worst.

Liberation is the only one I haven't actually played yet, what was wrong with it?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

corn in the bible posted:

Origin has New Lady Desmond, except they're afraid of having too many modern scenes so all she does is climb a cliff, kill some people, and meet Desmond's dad. She doesn't even have anyone talk to her in the past so it's weirdly pointless.

If they use it to create something in future games where there is actual substance and "missions" in modern abstergo sense it could be interesting. I remember people thinking Desmond would do that since 2 gave him all these abilities that they then promptly never used again (except for climbing).
They keep showing us cutscenes of assassins sneaking in to the abstergo compounds in what sounds like absurd mission with crazy fighting scenarios, but won't let us actually play it out which is dumb.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Palpek posted:

They removed the ability to pet animals in Unity because Parisianers are assholes.

They reintroduced it in Origins, the game owns hard, the best AC imo. You can even pet your eagle and there are like 3 different animations for it.

Origins is by far the best AC since Brotherhood.
Black flag was a good game but it wasn't a good AC game

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Glare Seethe posted:

I only skimmed this video and the thing that most had me nodding along knowingly was when the player drove slowly through a bunch of bushes and FC5 constantly flashed "X - EXIT CAR" on-screen while FC2 just... didn't.

Maybe those prompts can be turned off - if I recall at least some AssCreed games were good about letting you pick and choose your UI - but man do I dislike the constant, needless prompting in contemporary games.

(I do know that wasn't the point the video was making in that segment though.)

The UI can be completely turned off in Far Cry 5 and tweaked to a reasonable degree. That being said the game has no minimap and hides your weapon interface after a set amount of time so if prompts do show up they are more obnoxious than usual due to the lack of anything else on screen.
It does mean when just walking around you can get scenes like this though, which is nice.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Deakul posted:

Congrats on being one of the few sane people around apparently, not understanding the sudden nostalgia goggles for FC2 which was objectively poo poo in just about every conceivable way.

The story was kind of cool in a Heart of Darkness kind of way I guess and the world was interesting but the gameplay was dog poo poo.

Ending having every merc, both dead and alive, come after you was incredibly bizarre.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Croccers posted:

I love super strict regional stuff :allears:

Yeah, makes it so easy to share games with friends!
Like how I can get games from all my american friends but the moment I try to give anything the internet screams at me. Neighbourly

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

They added higher difficulty modes in Ni No Kuni 2! :supaburn:

June 22 patch notes.

Looks like the higher difficulties just make the enemies sponges, not sure I care for it

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

redreader posted:

I came here to ask: I loved souls/bloodborne. Is the surge any good? Considering getting it.

I refunded it when I discovered that the big bosses will rotate 180 degrees with no animation to hit you with their swings. Combat was clunky already, just got made worse when enemies don't actually care about your position, once the swing of the weapon starts they will auto pivot to face you until just before the weapon hits the ground. replay Souls instead.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
mark as jerk, move on to talking about how guns are pew pew and cars are vroom vroom in video games again

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet is surprisingly good!

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

I, Butthole posted:

I finally buckled and bought Rocket League PC after putting in way too many hours on PS4. Is there a thread/discord to hang out and get games going in?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718089

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

In other news, this is what they released to convince you to buy Darksiders 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zeWuaiguus

That impact noise is super disappointing, and the video makes the combat look sluggishly slow compared to what I remember of 2. Why is a whip not making explosive snapping sounds D=?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Snuffman posted:

Sounds like excellent advice, thanks! :)

Sadly, I already refunded the game. :(

In addition to the poor performance, I found the PC controls weird and annoying. Also, it'd look really bad if I buy the game again and ask for a third refund. :v:

It was the flying wasn't it? No idea why they set the "Chase - Normal" as regular flying for mouse, when "Locked - Inverted" makes more sense. Move mouse to the side, ship turns to side as much as you turned mouse.
Best to fly with a controller on those settings either way

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
I used the option "Don't automatically sign into friends when logged in" that option appears to be gone oh well.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Warbird posted:

So is Discord just Xfire2 now? Because it sure seems that way.

All its missing is the ability to record video, and recording time spent in a game.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Xander77 posted:

Anyone got an hour and half to watch this thing and give a summary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2eos3V7jTI

After flipping through its pretty clear several of the textures have been improved, and the lighting system has changed, but at the cost of atmosphere.
To quote youtubes comments "Dark Souls vs Relatively Well-Lighted Souls"
Everything is really bright, maybe to show off the new textures? but it essentially looks like it has the same issues Doom 3 BFG did, where the change in lighting techniques loses everything about the atmospheric design

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah due to the randomness of the game itself sometimes you wind up on a planet so harsh you only make it a minute, sometimes you can make it like 30 minutes.

Rerolls at the start of NMS are common

the latest update seems to limit it to 5 minutes at the most, but as long as you follow the tutorial stuff its easy enough to find the ship

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Morter posted:

And i'm screaming

That whole mission is absurd and great

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Realtalk are the mooks afraid of her, Batman-style, like they got in the first game? It bummed me out in Rise that they were all so blase about Lara icing them from the shadows

Impressively the conversations indicate that anybody with experience is loving terrified of her from the very start. Some of the rookies will laugh it off only to be told to shut up. Voice lines have them routinely hype themselves up as "We've got this", while the guys in charge are having a yelling match with Lara over the radio network.
They are at a point where they are fighting Lara because they are more afraid of what she would do if left alone than they are of facing her.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

EightDeer posted:

Who wants to bet this will result in a stealth price increase for Australians?

They didn't "stealth" the price increase in Canada, but yeah price increase incoming

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Terminally Bored posted:

Got some bad news there:

Is that technically legal? Doesn't that change the circumstances of the money transfer?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

haldolium posted:

It's kind of both on Windows. I tried some time ago with just the store. The issue is that it doesn't matter, because you have one account where all things Microsoft is tied to, your live account. IDK if that one is different to what Xbox had or if they now merge your existing into the one from live, but on Windows it has been that way for some time now. The idocracy is the process mostly. Microsoft is the only store with a "purchase region" which it lets you set manually within the account ONLY on their website, but it will revert it AUTOMATICALLY to another region depending on your OS settings if you try to make a purchase out of an app or even over the web without localizing their webfront first.

Yeah I've had similar issues with Xbox and Sony when I was on console, when I moved from Europe to Canada.
I was fortunate that I had an Australian 360 so it just worked as a NA console for online purchases, but for Sony I had to call them and ask them why I have to call them every time I travel to a new continent.

Microsoft is likely still operating on console mentality, even if selling on both cross platform now.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Video games go mainstream and people are surprised that famous people are in them?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Grapplejack posted:

Almost all of their games have been on the xbox though, so this is wrong. Tim must be sweating, especially since he lost so much goodwill over the past month.

When VR tried to make games specific to a headset it blew up in their faces, because PC is already the platform, how they thought this would be different is hard to fathom.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

I just posted a review privately then promptly deleted it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

ymgve posted:

My Rage 2 trip report

"Driving sure feels bad, huh."
"Oh they have a combat arena, god I hate those things, gonna drive around that"
"Oh they have a race track, god I hate those things, gonna stay away from that place"
(one hour later)
"So...becoming a champion in both the arena and racing is a main quest requirement..."

*uninstalls*

The race track I can understand, but the combat.... why play a combat heavy game if you don't enjoy the combat in a 5 minute arena? Was there some confusion as to what kind of game RAGE is or am I just missing something here?