Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
There's icons that highlight the objectives when you have visual on them. Other than that...just open every door I guess? Although finding the objective is usually the biggest hurdle on most missions, most of them are pretty easy to find except maybe the ashtrays missions (and I think they toned it down since early access).

I beat the game twice yesterday and the game is better than it's EA counterpart in every way except they added an enemy that ignores your time warping ability. It's not that hard to beat but it'll definitely make any pacifist run into a chore since once you trigger it it'll aggro all enemies nearby since it'll start shooting and tracking you through wall even if you undo or rewind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Vasler posted:

Thing is that I *did* open every door on the DJ level and still couldn't find the objective.

The "talk to bartenders" mission is the same. I can't find the objectives! I comb the entire facility but for some reason can't find anything. I think I need to watch a stream of this game or something because, for some reason, it isn't clicking with me.

On most level there's a security room somewhere with a bunch of guards inside and drone terminals. I am not sure if the position is fixed, but the few times I played the security room is always behind the dressing room on this level. So just go in there and you should find the tracking station.

The bartenders should be around the bar area, there's 2-3 of them and they should all be there. So don't bother searching the back room.

Notes on Pacifist run:
It's actually way easier than I thought. If you have no weapon except the cyberfist installed not only can you pass through weapon detector and drones undetected (as written in the weapon description)...actually no enemy can detect you except when you enter the restricted area. So just rush the fist then undo and pheromone to help with the speech mini-game and it's fairly easy to quickly run through all the levels and see the Pacifist end.

Hint: Figure out how to not kill Dragan Muller.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I looked into it to see if it also had that thing where no matter what the turn order is always a friendly unit followed by a hostile unit. Didn't find any concrete mechanics, but they keep mentioning that smaller teams have some kind of turn-order advantage which doesn't really fill me with confidence. But hey, maybe I'm reading it wrong, I'll wait and see what people say.

Yes, the turn system works similar to Banner Saga with a few difference. There is no pillage mode, so the last enemy unit will get to move every turn. At least attack damage is now separate from health so it's not going to be hitting you with 20+ strength hits every turn.
Also you can decide which unit to move within your turn, there's no initiative system, however, the character you moved will not be available until you cycle through all your character first. I guess that's what the dev meant by turn-order advantage.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Looks like Lobotomy Corporation has just come out of Early Access. Any trip reports?

It's basically SCP stories with some management element. they revamped the gameplay loop so many times I am no longer 100% sure how the game works.

Basically, you have to collect certain amount of power per day by taking care of SCP monsters. Monster produces power base on their mood, and they'll wreck your poo poo up if they are unhappy or if you trigger certain condition that you'll only learn base on observation and trial and error. As you interact with monster, you'll gain points that you can spend to unlock equipment and hints that explain what the deal with the monster is. Not all monster produce power when they are happy, in fact, some monsters actually drain power when they are happy. As you progress through the game, you unlock more monsters, more agents, bigger facility and other surprises. I stopped playing around the time when they start working on the story so I don't know if they did anything interesting with it.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Anyone tried Dead In Vinland yet?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/573120/Dead_In_Vinland/

Looks like a mix of This War of Mine, Darkest Dungeon with viking theme. The developer also made Dead in Bermuda so I'd love to hear if anyone has anything to say about these games.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I've been playing Offworld Trading Company this weekend and it's pretty fun!

It's kind of like a more competitive and trade oriented version of Anno. You produce resources and sell it to the market with supply and demand influencing the prices in real time. The key is anticipating shortage based on the map and your opponent's faction then position yourself to take advantage of that.

You can also buy different types of attacks that can disrupt your opponent for a time. It's hilarious when power costs over $300 per unit (an absurd amount) then you chain EMP on your opponent's power farm and watch his bond rating tank.

Each game is pretty short, too.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Naganted posted:

I've kept Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front on my lists for awhile now waiting the mythical day I have something that can run it, and it's on sale,
https://store.steampowered.com/app/312980/Graviteam_Tactics_MiusFront/

It's half off right now and I've got that mythical rig that can actually play 3d games now, so does anybody have much to say about it beyond the usual tutorial is completely bad and learning curve is a cliff and you will have to do lots of looking up everything you want to know on your own?

I'd ask some specific questions, but I don't really have a clue beyond seeing a cute Marder and then a herd of them in the trailer along with all sorts of other pretty nice looking armor that got me smiling.

Also considering Men of War because someone said it has good destruction in it? I know it won't be Silent Storm level, but I'm curious.
Think I'm just fiending to mess around with lots of Ww2 armor in 3d (especially weird rare and variant stuff, Real Red mod spoiled me eons ago.) and really wanting good damage modelling, totally a simple little thing to ask for, heh.

I played and enjoyed Operation Star but the scale in Mius Front is too big for my liking. It's already kind of tedious to keep track and move all the platoons on the strategic map in Operation Star's main campaign. I couldn't even finish one turn of Mius Front because there's just too many drat units. I also can't figure out how to undo a move and had to undo the whole turn. I wouldn't say the learning curve is huge, especially for this type of game. In fact I usually don't know what I am suppose to do except watch because you have fairly limited control over your units. Even more so in Graviteam because one unique feature of Graviteam Tactics is that your ability to issue command is limited. You have a limited command point for issuing order and if you used them up you can't issue new one. The amount of command point needed depends on the type of command and the condition of the unit. Unit with field telephone connection or radio can be commanded fairly cheaply while a unit outside of command range in a middle of a firefight will be expensive to issue command to.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 12, 2018

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I'm intrigued but looking at its Steam page, seems like it wasn't received very well. Tell us more about it as you play along, please.

I got the game when it was released on EA and beat the game again after it was released, got both ending (I think there's only two). The concept is interesting and execution good, but there isn't much depth. I feel the main problem is there just isn't that much content. Every mission is kinda samey. Your time control powers are very powerful and make everything not really challenging (except maybe some of the talky bits which cost a tremendous amount of your time currency to rewind).

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Pylons posted:

I don't think the type of lore you recruit them with has any impact on what aspect they have, just if you're promoting them, it needs to be the right level or higher, and then they get more of their aspect.

You can't improve your minion beyond upgrading them as far as I can tell and they'll always suck (from what I read disciple has 30% fail chance while believer 70%. I guess once you have enough lore to get disciples it's easily repeatable) until they are at the highest level, then they can't fail. Alternatively, you can use summons through different rites.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

The only way I know of is by letting Restlessness decay, but getting restless is also mysterious so...

It's created from the hook icon (forgot what that verb is actually called) that just appear every once in a while, it'll borrow your temptation/dedication for a while.

Keep dreaming with just a passion maybe? I think four out of one of the default dreams will result in a dread.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I found a way to generate dread reliably! Have a chat with your hunter with certain lore will create dread, though you might buff your hunter in the process.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Get bigger numbers than other guy. If you don't have bigger numbers, marry people with bigger numbers and make people hate the other guy. Everything else is really secondary to winning.

Yeah there isn't much to CKII warfare besides having the bigger army and stand behind a river on a mountain until you are rich enough to afford tons of retinue. War is usually decided before it begins in CKII.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The R6 team is on a maintenance budget for the most part so it's easier to keep one version of each map.

They're also removing gambling references in a game with lootboxes, ironically.

They already backpedaled and will have a separate version only playable and sold in China.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Thoughts on Phantom Doctrine?

It's an ok XCOM-like game with some cool ideas. Way too long with no procedurally generated map and basically only one type of enemy (guys with guns, yeah, some of them can throw grenades I guess).

Don't grind at all, just blitz through the main mission, the game may be the right length and better balanced that way.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Has Mechanicus had the update that gives it more difficulty?

Yes, a lot of the bosses have more health. A lot of the most powerful abilities are nerfed (funnily most of these abilities are the first one in each of the skill tree) or get put later into the skill tree. So overall it's harder, but at some point you squad still gets too powerful once you get enough good gear and level.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Important question about the DoW2 campaign. People keep saying it's like an ARPG with four characters, but is there gear that affects appearance? Because what's the point of an ARPG if you can't play dressup?

There is. You gear affects your appearance. it's unlikely you'll notice them in-game except for things like cape or some headgear that's very prominent. There's a loadout screen where you can see the different appearances very well.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Heat Signature is fun but every other guard having a shield they auto-trigger guaranteeing I get airlocked and lose the objective got old after the fourth time. Any tips on not having that happen? I know defenders can generate them but most of my characters have no crash items and the guards dont seem to indicate they can personally active them to instantly win a fight on levels where that happens. I just lost a personal mission because every single guard could and I got overwhelmed after juking three or four of them.

The game tells you what kind of equipment the enemy on the level has. If it says they have shield, then they'll all have shield. Have ways to disable shield or avoid fighting. At this point you should have plenty of these things, if not then you need to go farm some.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Then you also have the Battlefield 1942 problem when the demo contains basically all the gameplay but the retail just contained more content and the variations from different maps. Plenty of people were happy with just replaying the demo content.

Yeah, my dad played the BF1942 demo for over two years. He never bought the game.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Still on my first guy in Cultist Simulator but I'm having trouble staying ahead of just Funds let alone all the other crap starting to pile on. Three-health work (1 funds per 50s) is barely fast enough to beat the freaking illness timer :(

You are unlikely to get anywhere in the occult world working as a day laborer (though you should be quite healthy with all the exercise you get). Gaining esoteric knowledge is not cheap.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Compares to ES2 I vastly prefer Endless Lengend due to the combat. ES2 combat feels boring. You mostly just out-produce, out-tech, and try to match damage against protection.

EL2 combat feels much more involved and you can build many different style of army. From one cultist hero just wrecking entire army himself to endlessly multiplying necrophage swarm. You can gear your army to have initiative to deny enemy from acting or you can just have heavily armed troops that can stonewall any attack.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Andrast posted:

Did the banner saga sequels fix the godawful health/turn system which ruined the gameplay?

That's their core design so no. Never have much problem with it myself to be honest.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Andrast posted:

The combat in banner saga is like horrendously bad imo.

HP and damage being the same stat combined with the turn system where the enemy side always gets the same amount of turns is just a baffling design decision. It means that you don't actually want to kill enemies, you want to whittle them down to 1 hp instead. It's really loving dumb. Unit variety is awful too, your units basically boil down to just ranged and melee with the only differences being them doing counters (awful because you're killing the enemy) and whether they have AOE attacks (amazing because you're whittling enemies down to 1hp).

The whole game has like one battle where the goal isn't to kill every enemy on the screen and the map design is atrocious. Every map is just an uninteresting box. If you actually want an SRPG that has good combat with interesting decisions to make during the combat, stay far far away from Banner saga.

There is also a lot of combat.

I know the complaints and like I said I am not really bothered by them. Yes, sometimes its annoying when I left 2 20+ strength mofo on the board and they just start crippling my guys left and right.

Banner Saga 2 and 3 both added more unit type, especially different weavers and all the classes also got some new skills, as well as a trait system but if you really hate the hp/armor system then that's not going to fix that.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
A big annoyance I remember when playing DoK was when I noticed box-select-attack doesn't tell your unit to attack what they counter. Railgun will fire on AVT when there's a tank right next to it while in the original HW you can just tell a group of units to attack another group and they'll automatically select the correct target.

The campaign is also really boring. After the first three missions, basically every mission boils down to attack into this defense while the enemy poo poo out constant reinforcement to attack you, and constantly fires cruise missiles at you that you have to dodge (while the AI doesn't react to cruise missile at all). I remember in the last mission, instead of devising any sort of strategy for the last stand or even controlling any units in combat (or even get to watch most of the battle), I was on the other side of the map starting three new mining operation instead.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

succ posted:

Are there any single player persistent world games where things continue going even while youre offline?

State of Decay kind of does that. Not sure if State of Decay 2 kept it since a lot of people didn't like it.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

What's the deal with the Thief being the two-star difficulty class in Dicey Dungeons? I've beat at least two episodes with everyone else, but I can't even make it past the second floor of the first episode as the thief. I don't understand the playstyle here at all, you have lots of ways to manipulate your dice but nothing to use the dice on? Is this just a joke class that exists purely to steal the bear potion? I can't even get the bear potion to work right because you unfortunately have to play as a thief long enough to become a bear, which is impossible to do without dying.

You sometimes just get screwed over by bad roll, especially early on. Use your dice manipulation skill to get lots of dices as your basic weapon just use low dice to do damage. Don't sweat it on the first two floors if you keep dying since at that point you simply don't have enough tool to overcome really bad RNG, but by the end of the second floor or third you should have an idea what you want to go for for the run.

On Pathlogic 2. Honestly, I don't find it that hard. You can't go in there expecting to be playing a walking simulator, but if you try to be efficient you'll end up with resources to spare. I think I ended the game with over $7000 in the pocket (about enough to live for a day or two) without ever trading for herb or organ, just to show how lenient the resource available is. And this is trying to do every single quest everyday while trying to save as many people as I can even though half the named NPC still ended up dying, but eh, for about 75% of them I did all I could.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 1, 2019

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Well, I played a bit of MoW:AS: Cold War.

It's um...pretty content light. There's only skirmish mode and the campaign mode just uses the "dynamic campaign generator" the feature lists talked about. There's no story mission or scripted campaign like in AS.
You buy units in a set up screen and put them into 3 different formation that you can call in (the entire formation get called in at once). If the unit survive it'll keep its experience and you can reinforce them and buy new units after each mission. Units slowly gets unlocked overtime so at the beginning your troops will still have mostly WW2 era weapon while elite units that gets unlocked later equipped with M16 and more advanced tank (from M24 Chaffee to M60A1).

If you are desperate for more MoW I guess it's ok. Feels like a paid mod. Infantry now no longer have AT grenade which is simply the biggest mistake for a MoW game.

Tanks are ridiculously powerful with 250 range on the main cannon and 130 range on MG with high accuracy and huge blast radius for HE shell so I don't know how infantry is suppose to survive at all. Oh and vehicle now has health bar. Not even kidding, though the tank armor vs penetration dynamic is closer to the original MoW (as oppose to AS) where similar tanks are reasonably well protected from each other at long range instead of at risk of getting penetrated when you drove 2m too close. Didn't get a chance to try out helicopter.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Popete posted:

Yeah I watched some gameplay footage and it just looks so half baked, like it's just a workshop mod.

The developers on Steam Discussion seem to understand that it's not what people want and are apologizing for it. Still, it lends credence to the idea that MoW was sort of a fluke by the developers in that it worked but probably not in the ways they intended it too.

The newer Men of War games were all developed by Digitalmindsoft (DMS) as oppose to Best Way, which made the original MoW, FoW, and Soldiers: Heroes of WWII. Best Way just contracted out some part of the game to digitalmindsoft (I think a few SP missions and maps for MoW). DMS then licensed the engine and name for Assault Squad and Call to Arms. So it's different developers. Best Way is working on its own game game.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/421010/Soldiers_Arena/?snr=1_7_15__13
Sounds like it's going to the World of Tank of MoW.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Was it really one of the better-selling RTS games recently? Like, I've hardly even heard of it, and I love to play RTS games.

I had so much :words: over the years about DoW2 and CoH but suffice to say I could never get into DoW2's MP because it always felt like a worse version of CoH to me.

Anyway the best RTS games released within the last decade or so has been the Wargame series. Though I guess granted it's not for everyone and really does rightfully deserve to be called a "niche title".

DoW2 MP is one of the last RTS that I enjoyed playing both casually and competitively besides Wargame. Yeah, it controls like rear end when there's any lag. It launched in a pretty terrible state for MP with GFWL and they literally had to redo the entire MP gameflow 3 months later with the There is Only War update. Then It took them like a whole year before they figured out maybe they should remove the unit AI from CoH so units wouldn't keep trying to dash forward from cover to cover (into the closest Ork choppa). It's pretty relaxing to play, you never have that many units. It looks great. 2v2 and 3v3 are always spectacular late game. The macro aspect doesn't require much active attention so you can actually see the eye candies the artists no doubt spend a lot of effort on while you play. The fact that its MP scene is still sorta alive and people are actually playing some of the MP mods is pretty cool.

Wargame/Steel Division is similar. The pacing is really slow (besides helicopter rush I suppose). Everything takes minutes to happen so you actually have time to watch a situation develop. Cool setting. Steel Division added a lot of QoL features that makes it hard to go back to Wargame, interesting setting with the Normandy bocage and better infantry mechanic (imo).

Another RTS (or RTT) I quite like is Men of War. Super detailed. Every soldier and vehicle has its own inventroy. Same deal as the games above in that you don't have to worry about gathering resources. Sim-ish tank ballistic and combat. Direct control allows you to do some insane things such as using a lone infantry to blow up a tank that costs 100 times as much. Pick up a strumtiger shell and detonate it with a grenade as a trap. Use AT grenade to blow up a wall to make new entry way. Vibrant modding scene. Too bad the developer just doesn't have the resources to take it further.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 22, 2019

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Noita is good the moment I got a triple cast bouncing projectile, fire trail, burning trail, and gunpowder arc wand. One mouse click cause the entire screen to explode for a good 15 seconds. Oh, and I also got fire immunity :getin:

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 25, 2019

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Steam Labs has a new feature where you can look at the most recent positive reviews to see games that people like. I fired it up, and the first thing I saw was this (mildly NWS). I think it's not quite ready for primetime.

Oh no anime.

It's publish and made by KFC, what kind if VN do you think it is?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

They're talking about the review, not the game.

Oh. Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah, I was playing The Long Dark story mode and the writing now feels downright boring and terrible after Disco Elysium.