Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Jagged Jim posted:

Is The Surge any fun, or is it just a lame sci-fi Dark Souls clone?

Depends on what you put into it, but it is at least a better souls like than LoTF. The problem is that its very limited gear types and very simplistic bosses. Its more later souls drag than early DS polish and pushing to the edge. The setting also isn't really explored as you're always just in a ruined facility with nice air and weather for a world that is teeming on environmental collapse. However, its got a kind of janky charm if you can have a taste for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
New Batman Telltale and oh boy, are they falling head first into some bad ideas. Namely a lot of character death. I wonder if they plan on not going farther than Enemy Within.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME THERE WAS A NEW TALE OF WUXIA GAME COMING OUT SOON?!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Sylphosaurus posted:

Because while they are pretty drat fun they are also localized by the developers cat, banging randomly on the keyboard?

Aw come on, Nyaa is a good cat.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

As dumb as an image as it is to use, China is gonna do as it does regarding that symbol: utilize its older symbolism that they think of it with regardless of how that doesn't really matter or translate well to the rest of the world.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Lt. Lizard posted:

So could anyone write a bit about Tale of Wuxia games? I played and liked Age of Wushu in the past, so I got a thirst for Wuxia setting and tolerance for localizations made by a blind Vietnamese farmer who doesn't understand neither English nor Chinese and I was eyeing various Chinese rpgs/strategy games like Tale of Wuxia to get my fix, but I have no idea what to expect except "Wuxia" and "jank" so I am bit leery about buying them blind.

The first Tale of Wuxia is a bit like Princess Maker, except its training up a kung fu maniac that can learn martial arts from anything, even drinking tea or guzzling alcohol like a drunken ape. There are city environments that can be breath-takingly scenic and serious and then little goofy moments with cartoonish proportions throwing slight gags. You can romance people or avoid it entirely, you can strive to be good, evil or just beyond it all and seek specialized different endings everywhere. It is a game that gives you a lot of freedom in how you want to play it but unfortunately the instructions to play it are still like 3/5s in Chinese or badly translated. It will also kick your rear end if you try the hardest difficulty and are entirely new so the best thing to do regarding the first game is to take it at your own pace, read up guides and learn how to play it if you're interested as its one of the few legit Chinese RPGs that you can play without creative computing and decent Chinese comprehension and its a decent pedigree. There is an LP made by the very cool Nyaa of I think an older version of the game if you want to spoil some of the first game to see exactly what's up. There is some other content that is never coming west though so its still flawed to a degree.

However, I'm not sure how different the new game is so I'm still trying to find out about it myself.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

You have no idea how much I love this shoddy translation sometimes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Not to mention what little they did say about it presented Nu Prey as a pure horror game when it wasn't entirely that. It was an alternate reality shock game. Bethesda thinks it is so big that they can just play by their own unique rules and it'll never hurt than and we finally see that perceived invincibility backfire hard on a game that didn't deserve this cascade of bad publisher decisions.

Also Tale of Wuxia: Pre-Sequel is a strange game as its otherwise an improvement on the previously released one, however, I miss playing as my own create a character. Like you can sort of do that with whatever returning part of the cast you can play as, molding them with weapons, move sets and level ups to their attributes; but it feels a little empty without your own moron bouncing off these actual characters. It's a strange feeling and I can't really call it a detriment as that Kung-Fu Princess Maker element is still here, just not with one aspect.

Oh and, Jesus Christ Gearbox, your big new game was just becoming the publisher for a big-ish kickstarter game We Happy Few? No wonder its jumped up to over $50 for something that is still a bit of a gamble trying to marry procedurally generated random exploration and survival with Orwellian story events and plot.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

exquisite tea posted:

Bethesda doesn't seem to have a problem marketing their own IPs but they clearly don't put a lot of stock into their published games. I mean it's ridiculous that freaking DOOM of all things was the sleeper hit of 2016.

They advertised its weak multiplayer more than actually show that it had single player, let alone a really kickass SP campaign. People were wary of it, especially when they let IGN morons play it badly.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Appoda posted:

I did play a bit of Trails in the Sky, actually. The characters were surprisingly good! I fell off of it early on, in part because I had other stuff I was playing and also because the combat/presentation wasn't grabbing me (I think it was a PSP port), but I'll have to go back and give that one a look.

How's Cold Steel?

Do you like Persona 3-5? Its basically aping a little bit of that with the links system but still maintaining that Legend of Heroes flavor.

Also, which one of you wants to make your own Jurassic World Park?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Way to poo poo on a good game. Well I need to do a system restore now.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I liked how no matter how you played cole, you had to go down a certain narrative path because your character is still and always will be a shithead. HOW CAN IT BE NOIR IF YOU DON'T DO BAD THINGS, PLAYER?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I can't believe .hack//GU is coming to steam, much less a remaster with some new content. It's kind of quaint remembering the era of MMORPGs this is going to call back to.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wonder if they'll do the original series at some point too.

Maybe if .GU sells well, but they'd probably have to really rework the first tetralogy as .GU is a big improvement from both technical and gameplay standpoints. I just hope that this lets CyberConnect2 make something other than that anime they're thinking about and more Ninja Storm as those people really know how to make good combat.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 14, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

StrixNebulosa posted:

On the one hand, I can finally get it and finish the trilogy. I played the first two and half of the third and walked away for some reason despite having fun.

On the other hand, I get to play through Haseo being an idiot again.

Its a Tetrology too now, GU Last Recode is getting a host of new features, including xp buffs, cheat modes, parody videos ala subsistence's extensive theater gallery, re-balanced and improved combat and avatar battles and a new fourth volume post story after the original ending of the game where Haseo tries to find Ovan before The World 2.0 is permanently shut down. This also includes a new fifth form.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Yodzilla posted:

I feel like Telltale's games are now as poorly regarded as when that Jurassic Park game was that they shat out. They really need to stop taking on licenses and make some changes hopefully back in the adventure game/puzzle/gameplay direction.

I mean hell, the Lego games were put out even faster but Traveller's Takes felt like they weren't afraid to try things and innovate between releases. Telltale can't even be bothered to fix engine and save issues.

They didn't really need to change anything as people kept talking about Walking Dead and assumed every other game was good. Now? Well gently caress, did Batman really sell well or is DC just bankrolling it because whatever?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Sivek posted:

so Konami is releasing Zone of the Enders 2 on PC and VR in spring of 2018

that was unexpected

Where did they hide in the gambling algorithms?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Shima Honnou posted:

Loot boxes, probably.

We added several hundred thousand more weapons and the ability to completely customize Jehuty in any way you want. Unfortunately, to pay for this and server upkeep, you must buy konami koins to turn special Orbital Frame Capsule machine on Mars.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So Consortium: The Tower, the kickstarter sequel to CONSORTIUM that went and apparently succeeded on Fig, is coming to early access in a few hours -- maybe. God knows if it's having even problems releasing a stable build now. The game is very buggy and will probably be no where near done when it hits EA, but from what I've played its interesting for a low rent Deus Ex like.

Feel free to wait on a more stable or complete version.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 22, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Blattdorf posted:

Ruiner is out on Steam and GoG, a mix between Hotline Miami and cyberpunk.

It basically is Hotline, but with a lot more production values, a lot more mechanics going down that kind of make it even more bullet helly at times and a more coherent plot.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Can I even dare to dream Steam could get RDR2? Should I even want it knowing that its going to be likely so tied to rockstar social club that if they ever stop caring about the game, most of its features, if not the whole game is completely dead and unplayable?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Orv posted:

Would you rather Rockstar and Poptarts?

I'd rather Rockstar at least go with Budweiser or something a little more on the age bracket they supposedly market to, but we all know its gonna go with mountain dew.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
There are some very good ideas that they showed off a while ago. Unfortuantley, Warner Bros cannot stop shooting itself in the foot to drag down hype for a game that was a good improvement for SoM outside of maybe the dumb way they handled the spider lady.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
One more day until I can once again stick my hand into the euro jank and pick up a bunch of herbs and kill poo poo in ELEX. Oh and I guess listen to awkward English translation from German or whatever.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Baller Time posted:

Playing a Piranha Bytes game within the first year of it's release is pretty brave, man.

They actually seem to have functioning dodge rolls at release from the leaked copy footage floating around, I still remember having to manually do the awkward jump animation during fights to pull off a make-shift dodge to avoid being killed in Risen 2!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone that has tried pirate RPG outside of sid meier has typically failed. For some reason it just never works out for the arrpegsmee.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Do not ever sign a paper from EA. They will consume you and leave your corpse in the crypt of IP they will hold onto, yet never use again.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The unfortunate thing is that Story of Seasons is kind of mediocre overall in knowing what to use, what to keep and what to experiment with over its games. Like, I'd wish they kept some of the online stuff A New Beginning had because that was fun and helpful and profitable all at once, but SoS is far and beyond superior to anything Natsume tries to cobble together. Stardew Valley still reigns supreme over both of them at the moment, but SoS is good for a HM.

Natsume would impress me if they released their older games onto steam and just live off sales of HM64 or any of the wii games forever, if not finally figure out you need the creator of the series or concerned Ape to make a good game for them. But I'd rather not sacrifice the future of Stardew just to unfuck Natsume.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 25, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I like all the New Vegas DLC as its superior to most games. But Old World Blues just felt like it could have been its own game and I love it dearly.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Vakal posted:

I have the feeling that the Institute in F04 was an attempt to recreate the Think Tank from OWB but in a more grounded way.

By more grounded do you mean we legitmately believe the stupid poo poo we are doing and are not insane brains in jars that eat chems 24/7? Because Think Tank at least never lied about what they were about, insane science because SCIENCE.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Goddamn it I'm going to be here all night downloading GU Re-coded.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
What the hell is with all these weird updates that aren't real popping up on games? Like they que up but it doesn't download poo poo.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
In case I haven't already been beaten to this, Tokyo Xanadu ex+ is hitting steam the same time its hitting consoles. December 8th.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So has anyone played Seven: The Days Long Gone yet?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I hate Outcast in how you can gently caress yourself out of arbitrary and small side quests.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The biggest problems with most YOU WERE ACTUALLY HORRIBLE games is that 1: Their game-play glorifies what they say they are against regardless of what any sound narration or character can say, because you are still expected to be an integral part of this horrible thing to finally get the message you earned that obsessive force is actually bad and 2; they're a product that has no interest in dismantling the market that will keep glorifying OORAH bullshit in video games. Like yeah, Ubisoft, I'm sure you're gonna stop making Tom Clancy games because the whole franchise is kind of immoral and not because you keep loving up making games! Nothing makes hollow morality quite as paper thin as only pulling these morality plays because the well possibly has gone dry.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 15, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Metal Gear Luffy?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Too Shy Guy posted:

Hey, you guys want to see something really bad? The developer of Mover sent me their game, and I'm not sure why because if I made something like this I wouldn't want to show it to anyone.

You think this is bad, wait until you hear about the time I had the idea to basically make Mark Twain's Mysterious Stranger but this poo poo; starting with pong and going into vector graphics and maybe 90s polygons trying to form some sort of reality with your good old buddy, Satan, as he desperately wants some personality, ANY AT ALL, to take shape in a void of an empty mind before both of you die for good.

Xaris posted:

I'm probably going to be spending a good deal of this year celebrating legal weed (:ca:). What are some good vibrant relaxing games to play stoned? Like Zelda: BOTW, A Hat in Time, Psychonauts, Banjo games, Stardew, Steamworld games, etc. Generally that intersection of fun aesthetics, music, and peaceful pace

What sort of genres do you enjoy the most or could unwind with even if it got hard or heavy?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Dying Light the original game is still kind of decent if you can do it with other people. The Following is kind of garbage that doesn't' really improve the game so much as give its own disappointing sequel before Dying Light 2 is even a thing.

Once again, its just a refined Dead Island with grappling hook guy replacing a host of offensive stereotypes and programed in racial/gendered slurs, condensing everything down in a skill tree you can eventually power level your way to everything you want. It wastes its sort of cool Middle East setting by back ending it into a city you may not see within maybe 10 hours if you just steam roll through main story. Night time is hard only until you learn how to game it, then its nothing but throwing down flares to grind xp and loot from night terrors and goo boys holding the cure or something. Weapons are still take something blue/green/orange and slap a few good mods on it in case you need to hit mobs down, but eventually grappling hook and physical skills will be most of the attack you need outside of maybe using guns against raiders.

If you liked Dead Island, you'll probably be good with Dying Light, but the zombie's shambling mass hasn't kept well in between the haphazard updates and dlc.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

spincube posted:

The greatest tragedy about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided isn't the awful one-use-only DLC/microtransaction policies, nor the plot threads left hanging, nor even the different Sarif voice actor; no, the worst thing is that you can't make Jensen safety-dance while in cover any more.

This doesn't count?