Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

So could anyone write a bit about Tale of Wuxia games? I played and liked Age of Wushu in the past, so I got a thirst for Wuxia setting and tolerance for localizations made by a blind Vietnamese farmer who doesn't understand neither English nor Chinese and I was eyeing various Chinese rpgs/strategy games like Tale of Wuxia to get my fix, but I have no idea what to expect except "Wuxia" and "jank" so I am bit leery about buying them blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

The Kins posted:

Sega announced a Theme Hospital spiritual-successor by various former Bullfrog and Lionhead people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6TPTiOCuVk

Don't you dare to gently caress this up.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

I am waiting for gameplay and a bit of context of how the setting and story come together before I'm willing to gush about the game, but Atomic Hearth is definitely one of the games I'm closely watching.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Nichael posted:

.......and RA2's was funnier.

Counterpoint:

https://youtu.be/3yMy7JuGpJM

RA3 cutscenes is Tim Curry and George Takeshi having a blast and its joy to watch. :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Gort posted:

I found an article on Neogaf saying CDProjekt fired that shithead Twitter troll of theirs.

Guess I can buy Thronebreaker now - surprised they didn't make a bigger deal about it.

I got curious and googled around for a bit. All I found was a bunch gamergate babies screeching about censorship, feminazis, LGBT lynchmobs and the huge betrayal from CD Projekt, mostly on GOG, Reddit, Neogaf and Youtube. But CD Projekt is completely silent about it, no big or small gaming news site picked it up and the info apparently came from ~GoG insider~ who wished to remain anonymous and was initially reported on site called lulz.com so......

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

al-azad posted:

Artifact looks like a solid game, just lol if you think I'm going to spend $20 on digital cards.

No, no you misunderstand. With Artifact, you are spending $20 on privilege to spend $ on digital cards.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Andrast posted:

The free drafting is the only thing that interests me about Artifact so I might try it at some point

The drafting mode actually costs 20$ plus however more buying new tickets cost if you happen to not be instantly good at a game you never played before or got unlucky.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

You can pay $20 then play the draft mode without tickets as many times as you want before you spend any tickets. Entrance to phantom draft is free and unlimited.

The ones where you spend tickets you can get card rewards that you could turn around and sell or melt to use in constructed. These rewards are still not guaranteed, you can do a money draft then just lose twice and have nothing.

You can also play from a selection of 8 decks that show off all the game's cards and archetypes. Against other players, or bots. Without spending more money.

E: I'm not saying that Artifact's business model is perfect or even great, there are just a lot of people either misinformed or willfully lying about what you get. :shrug:

My mistake. You DO get unlimited draft mode for no card reward for $20 as a thing unique for Artifact. I concentrated on the idea that you can build solid collection of cards with draft mode "for free" which is both untrue because you already paid $20 for the game and extremely unlikely.

Everything else you mentioned is just part of the basic digital card game package that games like Hearthstone offer as well, without need to spend any money.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

i shed no tears for greedy cash grabs deservedly burning to ash but i would like to comment it's funny to me that for all intents and purposes it seems like the current artifact pricing model and the process through which you're expected to acquire cards mimics exactly the same market that has existed for magic the gathering for the past 20 years, just that valve decided to a) make all the cards digital and b) take a cut of every sale

I think its c) you have to pay $20 to even be able to engage with its pricing model that is deal-breaker for most people. A lot of complaints about Artifacts economic model would disappear if it was free to play, because without needing to buy the basic game, all that left is basically MtG model with some extra perks and people have been used to that for decades. In short, whoever decided on that $20 price-tag is a a moron.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Rebel Blob posted:

One thing to remember that back in the ancient days when people had to physically travel to a store and look at boxes to buy games, this was the cover:

I'm not sure if you want to say that the cover helped or hindered sales, but just to be sure:

That cover rules.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The description of Last Night on Steam basically sounds like "In bleak hellscape of fully automated luxurious gay communist utopia....." and I'm kinda morbidly curious how exactly does that sentence end.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Frog Act posted:

yeah I clicked that email and recoiled from my phone a little bit when the options came up. aren't the hyperdimension neptunia games about like...a videogame character coming to life, or something weird?

No, no they are about video game consoles coming to life. Nothing weird about that!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Has anyone been following A Plague Tale: Innocence? The concept seems pretty interesting, a medieval TLOU with rats instead of zombies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flEPlqsRNF8

That's a pretty brave change of direction for a Vermintide sequel.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So looking at SEGA sale, I am kinda pondering buying Endless Legends.

I only played Endless Space before and I wasn't a fan, but I like fantasy turn-based 4x games and I heard good things about EL.

Anything I should know before jumping in? Are DLCs worth it? Any possible dealbreakers?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Lethemonster posted:

In case anyone is interested:

She's doing work on the (perceived) differences between quality of writing in games vs films and tv (which is the field she actually writes in) AND research on the "illusion of choice" in gaming, how we sometimes get choices in games we dont get in real life despite always thinking of games as always more limited than real life. And on how to effectively use conversation systems to allow players to solve things without giving them the answers inherent in presenting them with conversation options.

Err, so any games you might think of that illustrate any of those.

I actually think Dragon Age 2 might be interesting game for her, as it tried to do a lot of intriguing things regarding player choice and branching narrative. Now they failed to implement most of those things and what they implemented ended up being flawed, but the resulting mess is fascinating. It's not really a good game and I really wouldn't recommend it as something you play for enjoyment on your own free time but I would say its pretty relevant in unique way to the theme of her work.

Also Pathologic is something she would consider REALLY intetesting for her work, now that I thimk about it. And also another game thats not really enjoyable to play.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Oh no, I can't believe that Randy Pitchford and Gearbox did something scummy, that never happened before. :ohdear:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ok, so how ironic would be to enter the Steam thread expecting to see a discussion about games, discovering that everyone there talks about correct use of the word "ironic" instead and then deliberately using "ironic" wrong out of spite?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

I wonder if in the future there will be firms that do this sort of thing. Like a more public version of PIs that trawl your internet history to damage you publicly.

Didn't that already happened to James Gunn? He got fired from Disney over bunch of unfunny decade old gross-out jokes on twitter that some right-wing nutter dug up to own the libs.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Trickyblackjack posted:

So my daughter-in-law successfully carried out a plot to murder my son. Sure he was a dull, pox-ridden lunatic, but he was also my child and heir to my lands. Now bitter rivals, forsaking honour for revenge, I challenged her to a duel to the death - but I was old, and the injuries accumulated in a lifetime on the battlefield made her victory decisive. Fortunately, my family line survives with her two children, whom I had actually secretly sired behind my son's back as we were lovers this whole time.

Ah yes, the classic "my character is in his seventies, but somehow still doesn't die and his heir sucks anyway. I need to somehow rig things up so that I end up playing as one of his grandchildren, who actually have decent stats ASAP" gambit.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wait, what the actual gently caress, this is kind of a big deal.

Andrast posted:

That's a big assumption

Yea, there will be a massive avalanche of requests every single day, because we are talking about both new workshop items and update of old ones, for an entire Steam. It's doable, if you have huge, well-organized and well-funded team that works on Workshop curation and nothing else, but this is Valve, so lol.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 11, 2019

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

If you want all your dollars to be only sent to ideologically purest developers with Chinese communist party seal of approval, go right ahead you weird cultist, doesn't explain why should anyone else care about the same.

Ah yes, the nigh unattainable level of ideological purity called "not being a rapist".

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 30, 2019

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Deakul posted:

What's that? You wanted another terrible Terminator FPS because you didn't get enough of Terminator 3 War of the Machines way back in the day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yguiiqU7Kys

Umm, excuse me, Terminator: Future Shock and Terminator: Skynet were loving awesome FPS games back in the day. :corsair:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really wonder how much of it being a relative flop was bad timing. It came out like the day after the 2016 election which is not when you want your game called “tyranny” with the tag line “evil wins” to come out.

I think the main reason, outside of it being obviously a niché game, was zero advertising. I still remember that, even though I knew about Tyranny and vaguely followed its development, I discovered its release date by just tuning into Twitch one day and seeing a bunch of streamers playing Tyranny and realizing that they are playing pre-release copy and that it will be released tomorrow. It was really bizarre - as far as I could see, there was no hype, no word-of-mouth and barely any promotion about the game whatsoever. Like if you weren't a fan of Obsidian and didn't already know about Tyranny, or weren't a follower of one of the few Twitch streamers who bother with playing cRPGs like that on stream, I'm not really sure how were you even supposed to know it exists.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I keep wanting to re-try Numenera since Planescape: Torment is basically my favorite game ever but I keep remembering that one time I got into a combat encounter. And then spent thirty minutes there. Just missing hits and waiting for all the enemies to take their turns so I can miss hits again. No cool abilities, nothing. I'd take loving 2nd ed AD&D over that.
I also really, really dislike the whole "spend points to improve dice rolls" mechanic.

I keep thinking I'll get back to it. One day. Maybe.

Yeah, Tides of Numenera is really unfortunate that way - the writing is somewhat worse than Planescape:Torment, which means it's loving fantastic, but the gameplay is also somewhat worse than Planescape:Torment, which means it's nigh unbearable garbage. I really can't fault anyone who gives up on it due to gameplay, despite liking the game myself.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

The developers of Outer Worlds are cowards and swear that their game is completely unpolitical in interviews while the Discord Elysium guys have politics be the central focus of the game's skill system and have Chapo Trap House doing voice work on it. Even ignoring the ugly oversaturated visuals and faux-gamebryo jank in every video Obsidian has shown it's not even a contest.

The basic concept for setting in Outer Worlds is "frontier colony world completely ruined by capitalist exploitation and corporate greed". They can make whatever PR statements their publisher wants them to, it's blindingly obvious to anyone that bothers to look that criticism of capitalism is one of the main themes in the game. For the record, I am betting that Disco Elysium ends up being more influential and memorable game, but out of all possible criticisms that can be levied against Outer Worlds, I don't think that trying to be apolitical is one of them.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

OutOfPrint posted:

Age of Wonders: Planetfall is on sale. I like the Endless games and Stellaris. Is Planetfall worth a buy?

Unlike those two, it's a wargame at heart and closer to something like Total War, just with tactical layer being turn-based as well. In other words, the game focuses almost exclusively on war, and pretty much every other system like exploration, diplomacy, research, city management, spying etc... is mostly there to facilitate conflict with other players and give you advantages in it. On one hand, the game knows where it's focus lies, so it can make that one aspect really shine - Planetfall has one of the best combat system that I ever saw in turn-based games. It's easy to learn but hard to master, quick and actually pretty balanced, despite huge amount of customization it offers and every part of the games naturally leads to it, or influences it in someway. But, on the other hand, if you like peaceful game-play, focus on economic and diplomacy and ways to win that don't involve grinding most of your enemies to dust under the heel of your mighty armies, Planetfall might be a bit disappointing.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

It’s arkane’s best game

Extremely weird way to spell Prey, but ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

the real key will be whether it all falls apart in the final episode, like LIS1 did for me. i felt like the theme/lessons of the first game were all over the place while this will be a lot more focused and consistent

Yeah, I won't say that the LiS finale ruined the whole season for me, but the last episode was noticeably weaker than the preceding ones and left me underwhelmed, which is not an ideal feeling to have when you finish a game. It's basically the only reason why I didn't pull the trigger for LiS 2 ages ago - I want to know what the general feeling about LiS 2 finale is, so I can adjust my expectations accordingly (and decide if I buy season 2 immediately or wait until its at least -50% off).