Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Anyone peep RUINER yet? Because holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwPFqNB-_E4

:chanpop: :chanpop: :chanpop:

It's like a game made specifically for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
has anyone else picked up Mutant Football League? this game loving owns

it's simultaneously an awesome spiritual successor to Mutant League Football on the Genesis and an awesome spiritual successor to NFL Blitz

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, I sort of got the vibe Spec Ops isn't calling you an rear end in a top hat for playing Spec Ops, it's mostly calling you an rear end in a top hat for playing games that are much less critical of the same sort of events (ie Call of Duty)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
see, i think the "you are still a good person" stuff kind of gels with my interpretation of the message

you are still, unironically, a good person, because you're sticking with a game about how war is loving awful and dehumanizing instead of going off to play some hoo-rah bullshit and not think about it anymore

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's weird hearing that DoW3 is bad, the impression I got was that it was an okay game that just sold like crap because they dropped it pretty much out of nowhere at full price without building any hype for it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Soul Glo posted:

Ctrl+f'ed for it the last three pages and didn't see anything:

Is Agents of Mayhem worth :10bux: if you liked Saint's Row the Third and Saint's Row 4?

yeah, it's worth that much. absolutely not full price.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Propaganda Hour posted:

That's not scary or weird, that's just bleak. I want a game with the corn maze scene from Signs.

scary and weird aren't popular anymore. if you want your game to sell, you make it pointlessly bleak and claim it has an anti-war or anti-capitalist message.

e: scary is especially unpopular nowadays, "scary" in video games translates to "Five Nights At Freddy's bullshit" in most people's minds when they read it as a descriptor.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

He commits sudoku.

ahahaha can you get killed by it Yoshimitsu-style?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh apparently in Cities: Skylines, digging a sewage pit instead of draining into a water source will inevitably cause it to overflow and drown your entire city in poo

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

socialsecurity posted:

Did you expect it to be some sort of infinite hole?

No but I expected it to maybe, like, shut off the poo pumps when they get poo-logged or give me a warning that it's about to overflow other than one of my citizens going "hey uh we need a pumping service" after my city is half buried in loving turd water

e: I know I sound angry but I'm mostly bringing this up because it's one of the actual funniest things that's ever happened to me in a game

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Alright, after building a couple more pumping truck stations, Cannburg is no longer poo-logged

e: also, grabbed Skullgirls from that list. Thanks!

e2: uh... the grass the poo-water went over looks really strange, will it ever go back to normal?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Knorth posted:

I hope people are trying out Skullgirls, it's probably my favourite fighting game and I think it's the only one where I can enjoy playing as any character

... Ms. Fortune/Filia/Squigly are the best though

I grabbed the key for this exact reason- it's always looked really fun but I've never had the opportunity to grab it. Peacock is pretty much my favorite design in it by a country mile so I'll probably try to learn her first.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Digirat posted:

Are there any other of these turn based mechwarrior games and if so what are they like? this looks cool but I've only really heard of battletech in the context of a mechwarrior game which has apparently been surrounded in a destiny 2-like whirlwind of controversy for as long as it's existed so I don't know what to make of it

MechWarrior Online is a pile of poo poo, and is a controversy magnet specifically because it's a massive outlier in the franchise for being complete poo poo (but also has a lot of ultra-grognards who love it simply because it's Battletech).

Basically, BattleTech started out as a tabletop game (which, from what I understand, this game is a loose adaptation of). To get a general sense of the tabletop game, you can either go look at one of the PBP games run on SA, or you can play MegaMek, which is a lower-rent version of it (sort of like FUMBBL for Blood Bowl).

From this tabletop game begat novels/comics/a cartoon/etc, none of which you need to worry about just yet; the in-depth lore doesn't tend to crop up too much in the video games beyond references, but if you get in a conversation with Battletech grognards they're probably gonna look at you a little funny if you don't know it.

More importantly to you, from this tabletop game begat a metric gently caress-ton of video games. There's the MechWarrior and MechAssault series; the MechWarrior series is a mech sim that pretty much straddles the exact line between arcadey and :spergin: (the easiest way to get into these is MW4: Mercenaries on the PC), whereas the MechAssault series (original Xbox-exclusive) is basically a third-person shooter with BattleMechs. Then you have the BattleTech RPGs from the late 80s, which are an interesting historical piece but not really fun nowadays (interestingly enough they're made by Infocom of all people), MechCommander, which is sort of like the Myth games or real-time Jagged Alliance but with BattleMechs, and MechWarrior 3050 on the Genesis, which is... well, if you've played Brigador it's kind of a proto-Brigador.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
poo lagoon update: poo lagoons are completely loving unsustainable without constantly babying them and expanding them when they're about to fill up, and the water physics hate you and expanding your poo pit will cause a tidal wave of poo water to splash up over the edges and flood your city

also, the game seems to think this counts as a tsunami, which is loving hilarious

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think this is true in real life as well...?

there's a sewage pond less than a loving block away from me and i'm fairly sure it's not in any danger of devouring the loving city of houston

e: like, this is definitely in bug territory but it's funny enough that i genuinely don't care. like, this is unironically the funniest loving thing that has ever happened to me in C:S.

e2: this has apparently literally never happened in real life before (because the way sewage behaves in C:S is not exactly realistic) and is a very common trick for C:S let's players (because it's beyond loving hilarious)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 28, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also this is a better video of sewage craziness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqukrQD9DiY

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

John Murdoch posted:

Edit: Skylines' water physics are infamously a bunch of busted nonsense. loving around with terraforming and water stuff literally always leads to disaster because of how unintuitive it all is.

i would have a problem with this if it wasn't amazing

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so uh, Puyo Puyo Tetris online seems to be populated entirely by crazy motherfuckers on the level of those insane Japanese TGM videos where people play light-speed tetris while blindfolded, just to give anyone on the fence fair warning

e: making matters much, much worse, the matchmaking gives zero fucks about your rank and will happily match someone who just bought the game against the 37th best player on the leaderboard

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 1, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly if The Bureau hadn't had the XCOM IP we'd probably just regard it as another one of those shooters that kinda came and went, like TimeShift or the Syndicate reboot

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Morter posted:

Syndicate (2012) owns and I wish it got more love.

it was a pretty fun game, yeah. pretty much the last dying gasp of old Starbreeze before everyone left for MachineGames, from what I gather (it definitely had really similar gamefeel to Riddick and The Darkness)

e: so, re: Puyo Puyo Tetris' technical weirdness/lack of options: it works totally fine on my desktop, but I'm a little antsy about recommending it to people with older or nonstandard computers because I'm not really sure how it handles resolution. I think it just goes with whatever your desktop resolution is, but I could be wrong and it might be 1080p-only and not play nice with laptops that have a native res below that (for example), and I have no clue if it plays nice with 4:3 or ultrawide resolutions.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 1, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dragon enthusiast posted:

Matchmaking is still wild wild west since the crazy players are still grinding rating points to get to their "real" MMR. There's this player on the Switch version who got to 11k doing nothing but holding right and down in Puyo, so that should give you an expectation of what the competition will look like once the dust settles.

well, tbf there's also not that many people who've bought the PC version, I checked SteamDB last night and it listed only about 5k owners (only about 3500 of whom have actually opened the game)

i feel like i may have been hosed by jumping in early instead of waiting for a sale, we're not exactly looking at PUBG numbers here

John Murdoch posted:

And unless I'm mistaken Enemy Unknown's development overlapped with The Bureau's to some extent, but I'm sure all the internet manbabies who pooped their diapers about it would like to think they personally made EU happen through their anger.

EU was happening regardless, but they totally announced it when they did because of the reaction to The Bureau, and they probably would have held off for longer (and possibly released the game later) if it weren't for that

like, in the alternate timeline where The Bureau got a totally fine reaction from everybody, we probably got EU a year later with the EW content pre-baked in

e: also keep in mind that the literal reason why The Bureau is "The Bureau: XCOM Declassified" and not just "XCOM" is because of the reaction to that one trailer; like, the internet manbabies didn't personally make EU happen, but they totally sent 2K into "gently caress what do we do now" panic mode.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 1, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

yeah. its legit. lots of funny character animation and the action scenes are really well done and exciting. imo i also actually appreciate what it's going for, which is 'world war 2 sucked and everyone at the top was either an idiot or a monster but the tanks were marvels of engineering and it sucks that they were only ever used for war, so heres a goofy show about girls having fun in tanks.' which i can appreciate. the japanese-themed school are also played as completely useless idiots, which lol.

anyway its less nazi than world of tanks because girls und panzer is like 'a lot of late-war german tanks were completely useless excesses that broke down constantly or just made no sense from a design perspective' while world of tanks makes all the late-war german tanks on par with modern/korean war tanks and has them cost 1000000 real world dollars and dominate the game.

i mean world of tanks balance makes basically no sense with history even outside of germany, because of how its progression is set up tanks from later on are always strictly better in WoT even if IRL they were hilarious garbage and the earlier tanks were actually better

Guy Mann posted:

What did you expect, for him to go "Yeah we really hosed up making that game, our bad?" instead of happily shifting the blame onto literally anyone else like any other person would do in that situation?

noted bad game that wasn't massively critically acclaimed at all, Prey

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They pretty much have their poo poo together as far as making good games with good PR so nobody's worried about brand damage, Bandai had pre-existing toy licenses for some of these (and partly owns Gundam iirc) so working out game licenses for those was probably simpler than usual, and I think some of the licenses are non-exclusive

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Too Shy Guy posted:

The developers of INSIDE have collaborated with the Realdoll people for... um... https://store.iam8bit.com/collections/playdead/products/inside-collector-s-edition

Are they... actually expecting to make money off this?

Like, who in their right mind would see those company names, look at the fact that they're not talking about what's actually in the thing, and then decide "hmm yes this is a good use of my money"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just want a good spiritual successor to the Armored Core games. If it has multiplayer like Chromehounds, even better.

Firing up the older games in PCSX2 works fine, even on my potato-y computer, but they're... kind of insanely hard and impenetrable, and an indie spiritual successor could hit the same buttons for me without being made for insane Japanese nerds with a billion hours to spare. I miss how Chromehounds was simplified on all that stuff enough that it made total sense to 12-year-old me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Samuringa posted:

One of the games FROM is making could be a new Armored Core :pray:

didn't ACV and Verdict Day go in a really bad direction though? they're also not playable on PC

i just want an indie spiritual successor to the AC2/AC3 era stuff that's on PC

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Samuringa posted:

We've been getting a lot of ports that would be unimaginable ~10 years ago. Unless Sony is directly funding all of FROM projects, there's a pretty good chance it'll also be on PC.

i mean, beyond that, FROM hasn't made a good Armored Core in a while from what I gather, which is why I'm hoping for Not FROM to give me something

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
okay Puyo Puyo Tetris matchmaking is loving busted, I just got put against the 3rd best player in the world and i am near the actual bottom of the rankings

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

who the gently caress do you think, i got my rear end handed to me within literal seconds of the match starting

e: it then proceeded to keep feeding me to people in the top 100 until I finally said "gently caress this" and decided to play PUBG instead. losing to people where there's not, like, a huge skill gap is one thing, because i can sort of identify what i did wrong. with this kind of matchup the answer to "what i did wrong" is "didn't hack the loving matrix to give myself superhuman reflexes." it's like if I loaded up Fightcade to play some casual Real Bout 2 or SamSho and the first three people to challenge me were JWong in disguise, Daigo in disguise, and SonicFox in disguise.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 12, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
seriously isn't the literal point of ELO matchmaking supposed to be "you get put with people who are near-ish your rank and not ridiculously far above you"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

Lara's response to seeing cool archaeological sites in 2013 and Rise was to go about demolishing as much of it as she could to make platforms that she could jump on. I don't know much about archaeology, but I don't think it involves destroying things like that?

there's not a whole lot of point in preserving the inaccessibility of a site, and she doesn't exactly have a helicopter or jetpack :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

corn in the bible posted:

It's funny to realize that, as bad as it was, Angel of Darkness still sold better than Chronicles

Angel of Darkness was actually a new game whereas Chronicles was literally just unused material from the first 4, it's not really a shock.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Deakul posted:

I'm not sure how allowing Lara to move in every direction fluidly would break this.

the levels aren't designed around Lara being able to move fluidly in every direction, and would pretty much be pointlessly easy with Assassin's Creed-ish controls

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

If Lara had complete freedom of movement there would need to be some kind of system that auto-aligns her in mid-air or else you'll miss jumps and grabs.

this is pretty much how most modern 3D platformer/parkour-ish games handle it, and it would make the early TRs stupid easy

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DrNutt posted:

It's probably worth noting that the anime art style is objectively worse, it's not even like a "this art style is for people who don't like anime thing." Like the alternate art style looks like professionally commissioned art for a game and the anime art looks like a 12 year old watched a lot of Sailor Moon and bought a "how to draw manga" book.

they're... both anime art styles, though :psyduck:

like, style 1 is a sorta-generic shojo manga style (which is probably why your mind went to Sailor Moon), and style 2 is riffing hard on Kazuma Kaneko's aesthetic (the faces are straight out of one of the PS1 Persona games)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
N++ is one hundred percent worth the BTA price on its own. I don't actually like Tropico 5 very much as a fan of the series, it's... weird and the new mechanics aren't very good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Justin_Brett posted:

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/976460761865342978

THQ Nordic is such a crazy company and I love it.

Accordion Man posted:

Battle for Bikini Bottom seriously better get an HD remaster.

Mordja posted:

Isn't that part of what sunk the original THQ?

this is just a shot in the dark, but i think i know what's going on here, and the article's... possibly a little misleading.

if you look at the list, you'll notice that Tak and the Power of JUJU is one of the listed IPs. Tak and the Power of JUJU was a game-original IP Nickelodeon made; the three games that came out on PS2/Xbox/GC are pretty fondly remembered and were published (and possibly developed) by THQ. while there was a cartoon, it only lasted a single season, postdated the games by several years, was hated by fans of the games for making a bunch of really dumb and lovely changes to the setting and characters, and... is probably not why they snuck that IP in, on the whole.

i'm pretty sure most of this was just a roundabout way to unfuck those rights so they can remaster the Tak games, because SpongeBob is the literal only other IP in that list with any particularly decent games to come out of it. hell, some of those IPs don't even have games (Zim, Danny Phantom, Wild Thornberries) or only have games that came out back in like the SNES era (Ren and Stimpy).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 22, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Clear Sky isn't bad, it's just the least good of the STALKERs.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

Watch Dogs 1 has that neat Drive homage mission that is the only thing good about that game.

whoa, wait, what? i'm not buying watch dogs for a single mission but do you have a youtube of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

GOG is pretty good, but also has a good deal of flaws. The two that really get my goat:
Their gatekeeping, while keeping a lot of crap out, also keeps out a lot of really good games. Other people have gone over Zachtronics being (briefly) locked out, but I've also heard stories of Dusk and the CAVE shmups getting form-letter rejections without any explanation of where they failed.

Also, many games on the service lack vital patches or entire modes of content for various reasons ranging from "we can't justify the effort to replace the Steamworks API with the Galaxy one" to "getting updates out on GOG is a teeth-spittingly frustrating process".

I also had a refund given in store credit instead of back to the payment method used, but that was for a heavily-discounted game in the midst of a busy sale, so I'll let it slide just this once. Anyway, long story short, you're best using GOG for old games that have long since ceased patching, since that's kind of their field of expertise.

Holy gently caress, Amanita Design actively hates GOG customers, huh? They've gone out of their way not once but twice to gently caress people who bought their games on GOG. It's not even a patching thing, it's a "putting the game on sale for a dollar on other platforms literally immediately after releasing on GOG with content that the GOG version lacks" thing.

e: seriously, what's with that? The other stuff, I can buy being due to incompetence or lack of resources, but this is just straight up a dev being dicks.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 27, 2018