Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Okay, Posting this here because it's on Steam and it doesn't otherwise have a topic to go in.

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.

The Eldar starting position is TERRIBLE. Right off the bat, you only have one place to attack, and the honor guard you get there is a Ranger Squad. Decent to speed up scouting, and can deal with light infantry well enough, but drat near worthless for taking down bases.

From here, you have two choices of places to attack. One of them is guaranteed to be at least strength 6, which means two enemy bases, which means, with only a single Ranger Squad as honor guards, good luck taking one of the bases out before the other one runs rampant over your base, ESPECIALLY if the commander is there with their Honor Guard. Your OTHER choice of location gives you another Ranger Squad, which is... less than helpful.

If you go collect the second Ranger Squad, you still have two choices of destination: the stength 6 province mentioned before which, by the way, doesn't give any Honor Guard, it gives Bulwark, which only affects garrisoning basic troops in provinces you already control. Your other option that just opened up is Pavonis Spaceport. Not so bad to capture, but you really need to hope you get all six servitors before the two enemy bases start hammering you.

Once you have this, you basically have to look around the map and cherry-pick weak provinces with good Honor Guards, which if you're like me and hate breaking supply lines, is quite frustrating.

(if anyone knows of a better place to rant about/discuss Dawn of War, please point me to it!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

this is by design, you chose space elves and are being punished for it wtf were you thinking

I'm bored and couldn't decide who to play! I've been bingeing Dawn of War stuff lately, I've gone through Winter Assault, and I did Soulstorm as Orks (I found a couple tweaks that make the Soulstorm campaign bearable).

So I sure as gently caress ain't doing Dark Crusade as ORKS. I'm all Ork'd out.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Mokinokaro posted:

Do Chaos or Imperial Guard. They're both fun as hell.

Heck give Tau or Necrons a try if you don't want to play something from the previous games. Both are done pretty well.

I mean, I'm not NEW to Dawn of War, I've just been bingeing it because I feel like it. I was kinda tempted to go for Tau? But on the other hand, Taldeer is so deliciously snarky in the Stronghold mission dialogues, and I love it. She gives absolutely zero fucks.

I'm just salty that Eldar get the unquestionably WORST Honor Guard selection starting off. Let's go through a list of all the races in Dark Crusade, and list off all the Honor Guard units within two provinces of their HQ.

Chaos: No less than THREE Chosen Champions, and two Raptor Champions all within two provinces of your starting position. Not bad, some solid meat for the front lines there.
Imperial Guard: Two units of Regimental Bodyguard (aka guardsmen), a Veterak KASRKIN SQUAD (drat nice!), and a Regimental Commissar to stick to one of those Guardsmen squads to beef everybody up with some summary executions.
Necrons: Are easy mode by virtue of being Necrons, but are also spoiled for choice due to being smack in the middle of the map. Crypt Immortals, FOUR different Crypt Warrior squads, a Crypt Pariah Squad, a build scarab, and two groups of Flayed Ones can all be found within two provinces of HQ.
Orkz: 'Eavy Stormboyz, and 3 groups of 'Eavy Shoota Boyz. The Shoota Boyz are nice because they come default with Big Shootas, so you don't have to spend resources upgrading them.
Space Marines: Two First Company Veterans and two Veteran Assault Marines. Those First Company Veterans are especially nice because they're versatile, being regular Tactical Marines instead of the Sergeant like the Chaos versions; so you can kit them out with different weapons for different targets.
Tau: Two Fire Warrior squads, a Vespid Elder Strain, a Kroot Alpha Pack, and two Veteran Stealth teams.

Then you have the Eldar, who literally have only those two Ranger Squads. And EVERYTHING else is, from that point, locked behind Strongholds or provinces with Non-Honor guard bonuses.

Plus, it doesn't really help that Taldeer is one of the weaker (not weakEST, I think) heroes - she has some nice abilities, but they don't exactly let her solo the likes of Gorgutz.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 2, 2019

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

*looks at a long list of awesome 40k armies, but selects Eldar*

C'mon, you have to admit there's something satisfying about covering entire maps in invisible Listening Posts and laughing as the AI flails around wildly because they don't have a detector in range.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

Care to elaborate? I really really want to like Soulstorm (come on, Sisters of Battle!), but the campaign is just so loving bad.

A couple of mods:

https://www.moddb.com/games/dawn-of-war/downloads/dawn-of-war-soulstorm-campaign-fixes - Reduces Honor Guard costs a bit, changes Annihilate win conditions in standard maps to be Destroy HQ instead (like Dark Crusade), and changes Hard Difficulty so that the AI has 100% of normal health instead of 120% (again, like Dark Crusade)

https://www.moddb.com/mods/soulstorm-bugfix-mod/downloads/soulstorm-bugfix-mod-version-156 - A general bugfix mod that fixes a mind-boggling number of small details and bugs. Comes with a full readme listing all the changes and version updates, but it's a bit messy and tends to all blend together due to the tiny nature of most of the fixes.

https://www.moddb.com/games/dawn-of-war/downloads/soulstorm-persistent-campaign-bases-mod-v14 - THIS IS THE BIG ONE. Persistent bases for defense maps. No longer will you have to start each defense off with nothing.

Didn't touch the Strongholds or anything outside the bugfix mod itself, but this was enough to make it bearable.

I remember I had to sneak the files for the persistent campaign bases inside the Bugfix folder, since both are considered "mods" that need to be activated through the Game Manager on the main menu, and thus they would be mutually exclusive normally. It worked, thankfully, and because I didn't overwrite any files, I'm pretty sure I didn't break any of the fixes!

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 2, 2019

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

Anyhow, it's different maps, different factions, more units and I've played DC to death.

Main problems being the fact it runs like poo poo, forces you to hunt down every single listening outpost, doesn't let you keep buildings for defense unless you take over a specific stronghold... On the plus side, what little there is of the writing gets hilariously bad.

This, basically. I already mentioned that Soulstorm removed the idea of "persistent bases" which means you didn't keep the fortifications you build up when the territory gets attacked, but instead you could "garrison" buildings in the territory much like you could garrison units there. The buildings you could garrison were the same ones you'd be able to start yourself with using the Forward Bases bonus. Also, all those neat bonuses are tied to the Strongholds themselves, meaning each Faction starts with one, which is... kinda neat.

Story... yeah, it ends up going into the "so bad it's funny" territory, with Scott McNeil single-handedly responsible for SEVERAL of the many, many memes to come out of the game, thanks to voicing INDRICK BOREALE as well as Firaeveus "METUL BAWKSES" Carron, and attempting to imitate the original Cultist voice, but ending up with what got nicknamed "Cornholio the Cultist".

But yeah, there is some comedy in the fact that Carron is genuinely THE most incompetent Chaos Lord in the Dawn of War series, being one who favors Khorne, but keeps making amateur mistake after amateur mistake when it comes to Khorne worship. Plus he's a drat sissy coward in the end. Part of me wants to make my next Soulstorm run as Chaos just for the comedy of the worst chaos lord ever killing everybody.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The thing about the Dawn of War series, is that all the entries in the series have VASTLY different gameplay.

Dawn of War 1 is a fairly standard RTS, with base-building, resource management (though not in the same fashion as say, Starcraft - you gain resources by controlling territory), and all that.

Dawn of War 2 strips out the base-building, and the campaign plays more like Diablo than an RTS.

Dawn of War 3 goes back to having some base-building, but also maintains Dawn of War 2's focus on epic Leader units that can mangle plenty of normal troops all on their own.

With Dawn of War 1, the base game and Winter Assault have more traditional story-based Campaigns, with the base game focusing on the Blood Raven Space Marines, led by 3rd Company Captain Gabriel Angelos. Winter Assault lets you play as everybody BUT the Space Marines across two campaigns, with one "Order" campaign featuring the Imperial Guard (led by General Sturnn) and the Eldar (led by Farseer Taldeer), as well as the "Disorder" campaign featuring Chaos (led by Khorne-worshipping Chaos Lord Crull) and the Orks (led by Warboss Gorgutz). Both feature a branch toward the end where you have to choose which faction you've been playing as you want to continue with for the final level.

Dark Crusade and Soulstorm's campaigns take on a more Risk-style element, with a Strategy layer featuring a map split into a number of different territories, and your goal is to take them all over, with each territory being fought in a manner not unlike a standard skirmish game, though each race has a Stronghold that's more along the lines of a more scripted Campaign-style map.

Dawn of War 2's campaign again stars the Blood Ravens, in a fashion not unlike Diablo, with your teams that can level up, equipment that drops as loot as you play through the campaigns, with occasional big bosses to fight. Chaos Rising is the first expansion, and continues directly off the end of the base game's campaign, though the second expansion Retribution continues a full decade later in the same sector of space. It's standalone, and lets you play through the campaign as ANY of the (at this point) six playable races, with the same basic string of events, but a different story unfolding for each race.

Dawn of War 3's campaign is a single cohesive plotline that jumps from perspective to perspective as you play as the three different playable races, but the game left a poor taste in a lot of people's mouths. I enjoyed it, but it definitely has a number of flaws, not the least of which is the fact that the story is very blatantly setting up for expansion, but all expansion and DLC content for the game got canned, leaving a lot of loose ends.

Of note, all of the campaigns with multiple different endings have had a "canon" winner or certain events confirmed as canon in later games. For example, Dark Crusade's campaign lets you play as any of the six races, but Dawn of War 2 makes near-constant reference to the fact that the Space Marines were the sole victors on Kronus, wiping out all of the other factions themselves.

EDIT: As an aside, turning on "Persistent Corpses" in Dawn of War 1 can have hilarious results in some cutscenes. For example:

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 2, 2019

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I would just like to put it out there that the Eldar are cheesy cheaty motherfuckers in the Dark Crusade campaign (inb4 "just the campaign?" comments).

Watching the AI flail around helplessly because they don't have any detectors out yet to see your invisible listening posts is always hilarious. As is completely cheesing the escape section of the Dark Crusade Necron stronghold because Webway Gates.

EDIT: Actually, on that note, I've finished playing as the Space Elves. Now I wish to do another run of Soulstorm because I dunno, I'm a masochist or something. The problem is... who to play as?

1) Chaos, for the sheer comedy factor of the most incompetent Khornate Lord ever actually winning?
2) Dark Eldar, for MAXIMUM EDGE?
3) Sisters of Battle, and PURGE EVERYTHING WITH FIRE?

I already have a vote for MAXIMUM EDGE from my roommate, but what about you guys?

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 4, 2019

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

chaos is cool but i don't remember if it was soulstorm or dark crusade where the chaos vs necron home base mission has your chaos guy getting all freaked out when he realizes that the necrons have no souls

That was actually Necrons attacking the Chaos Stronghold in Dark Crusade.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

I've finished playing as the Space Elves. Now I wish to do another run of Soulstorm because I dunno, I'm a masochist or something. The problem is... who to play as?

1) Chaos, for the sheer comedy factor of the most incompetent Khornate Lord ever actually winning?
2) Dark Eldar, for MAXIMUM EDGE?
3) Sisters of Battle, and PURGE EVERYTHING WITH FIRE?

I already have a vote for MAXIMUM EDGE from my roommate, but what about you guys?

Hoping for some Dawn of War input, because I'm not sick of the game yet.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Going through the Dawn of War 2 campaign again (vanilla, moving on to Chaos Rising when I'm done).

I'm in the "Victory Lap" part of the campaign, where I've unlocked the final mission, and am just doing missions looking for cool gear.

And it occurs to me that Speccing your Dreadnought out for Melee, then giving him an Assault Cannon is frighteningly effective. The Assault Cannon doesn't need a full ranged skill bar to be devastating, and if the enemy closes in, you've got the points in melee to pummel them even with only one fist. Having the buffed ground-slam AND the Assault Cannon Sweep is wonderful.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

Important question about the DoW2 campaign. People keep saying it's like an ARPG with four characters, but is there gear that affects appearance? Because what's the point of an ARPG if you can't play dressup?

To a degree. There will be small differences in the looks of different armors you equip, but you ARE still Blood Ravens Space Marines, and all your armors will reflect that, whether you're wearing Scout Armor, regular Power Armor, or Terminator Armor. Some armor is blingier than others, though.

You can also choose what weapon they're using, of course. And you technically end up with SIX characters, but you can only take four on any given mission, so it's up to you who you think you need for any given mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, Middle Earth: Shadow of War's topic is way back in the Archives, so I'll post this here. This was my reaction to something that occurred earlier.

Me, earlier today posted:

NO. OH NO. OH DEAR JESUS WHY
Me: level 69
Ar-Beku of the Caves: Level 72.

Me: "Sir, you can summon Graugs, I want you on my side, but you're a bit too strong, so please, if you would get on my level.
Ar-Beku: "WOO WOO WOO, WOO WOO. WOO." <No. You get on mine.>
>BECAME A MANIAC

HE'S LEVEL 85