Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Gigantic trip report: That was really fun! Worth checking out for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Dragon's dogma is mediocre

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Offworld Trading Company is pretty dang good.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The market is just incredibly saturated and there are way more great games than any human could possibly play and a lot of them go for 5 bux or less.

Most of those games that weren't that successful are all stuff that looks great and I want to play but I haven't bought them because there are so many other competing games to get to.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The End Is Nigh and Amnesia: The Dark Descent were both added to the Humble Trove, which are games anyone subscribed to the Humble Monthly can download (DRM free) at any time (as opposed the the monthly games which you only get if you are subscribed before that month's reveal).

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

SirSamVimes posted:

Is there any way to get these on Steam through Trove or are they only available as DRM free downloads?

Downloads only

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The End is Nigh is pretty drat great.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Pastry of the Year posted:

I love this game, and I've spent a lot of time with it, but I feel like I've hit a plateau as far as getting good at it is concerned. No matter how well I think I'm doing, the higher-difficulty expeditions end up eating my lunch. I've only "won" the game once, out of many, many attempts.

It doesn't look like we have a thread for it, so I'll ask just sort of generally: any advice or experiences to share? Nothing is too obvious; I can be incredibly short-sighted sometimes.

Make sure you're managing the mood in fights properly. The difference between being in a disadvantaged mood like friendly vs aggressive instead of devious vs aggressive is like thousands of gold worth of defensive stats and fights can go to hell extremely quickly in the wrong mood. Keep an eye on what moves the meter to change the mood and plan each turn to at least get back to a neutral mood by the end of the turn if you're going to dip into a disadvantaged mood. It helps to have a party that can cover a range of different attack types and inflict a range of different debuffs. Make a plan before you start doing moves, the order you do things matters a great deal to both the mood and the debuff enemies are left with for their turn.

Both skills and stats count towards success on the wheel, like science related checks are helped by speech defense, physical by armor, diplomacy by speech etc. You can hover over the spin to find out what's helping your odds. Skill trinkets aren't the only way to prepare for the skill check types of the next adventure, buying the right stat items can also give you a big boost to success.

Running out of food is not lethal, it just starts stacking up stat penalties. Especially in the easier early adventures you can take multiple hunger hits to explore more of the map and still win pretty easily. Getting extra resources early on makes a big difference by snowballing.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I feel like TumbleSeed fell victim to the common indie pitfall of 'I've been playing my own game for 1000 hours while making it so I've inadvertently lost touch with how hard I'm making it because my expertise feels normal now'

I've been idly interested in giving it a shot anyway because it looks reasonably unique.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Wow, Pyre was really great. I was kind of iffy on it at the start but then it really hooked me. Superb stuff.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

God drat you humble bundle I would have got it if Shadow Tactics was the headliner instead of trash.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I don't really get the hype for shovel knight. It relies too heavily on 'enemy attack touches you, get flung into a pit and instantly die' for difficulty which was annoying and made me feel like I had to be really conservative and then I didn't feel like I was getting much real flow going. And then it ended poorly because the final boss fight sucked, it had the boss fight cardinal sin of making you sit through long but boring attacks before you get a chance to attack but took it to new levels by making your chance to attack dependent on a dumbass npc who may stand in a crappy position.

I had a very mediocre time with the shovel knight campaign.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Shadow Tactics is incredible. Amazing sprawling multi-approach levels full of opportunities to be a badass ninja who does clever and cool coordinated attack plans.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Seventh Arrow posted:

Ok so I think I need some hints 'n' tips for Invisible Inc. It seems like the main challenge comes from the fact that you need to explore the map to find the objectives, on the one hand, juxtaposed against the fact that the more time you take the higher the alert state, on the other hand. In the map I played last night, by the time I found the executive terminal, I had two normal guards, an elite guard, and a murderbot out for my blood. I'm just using the standard starter guys, Internationale and Trench Coat Dude. I'm used to taking my time in stealth games, so how do I go about this? (other than reinstalling Thief 2)

The way cover works is the guard has to be in past your cover to see you. Your agents are essentially 2d when they're stuck to cover.
Until you reach a special mission, all guards go on a two turn cycle if they're unalerted and on patrol. If you peeked through a door and there was no one there, and ended the turn and still no one there, you know the room is safe.
When guards turn around at the start of a turn, they don't turn their heads when they turn. Their vision goes straight from looking in the old direction to looking in the new direction. You can be out of cover right next to them and be in their blind spot and be totally safe from them.
Not at all obvious but very helpful: you can start or stop sprinting as long as your AP is at your starting AP (or above). You can turn sprint on, run a couple of squares and turn it off again. This doesn't get you extra AP but it lets you make noise that the guards will investigate and then slip into cover.
You want to cover ground as efficiently as possible early on, generally split up and explore different directions at the start. Slip past guards whenever you can because knocking out guards means they'll be on red alert once they wake up. Try to only knock them out if they're too inconvenient.
Don't forget to get anarchy 2 on at least someone and pickpocket as many guards as possible, you're missing out on tons of money if you don't pickpocket.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

General Emergency posted:

How is Blades of Shogun? I keep hearing good things about it and this is the cheapest it's been at 20bux. Is it real time or can you pause?

Superb. It is real time only, although it lets you queue up abilities ahead of time to be executed at a push of a button, which makes it reasonably easy to pull off split second timed coordinated attacks as long as you've planned them out beforehand.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I picked up Riptale and it's really good. It's a platform/fighting game where you have three gems that represent your attack combo and they do massive, high mobility attacks that chain together and let you dash around like an absolute madman and kill any non-boss that you hit but with the catch that they take a bit of time to regenerate. They're extremely satisfying with the sound, the hit slow-motion, the mobility, the way blood sprays out. It's also pleasingly tactical; you have to consider how the enemies will move as you approach and where your attacks will carry you so you can get in, land your hits and then end somewhere safe to pause for a second to get ready to attack again and that makes it feel interesting and original. And it's only $3.89, which is cool.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I found longnail and gathering swarm didn't make much difference in hollow knight and just plain getting more soul with soul catcher and grubsong etc to be able to stay healed and still have spare soul for spells made much more difference. If you want to faceroll bosses quick slash, longer invincibility and a bunch of extra health will let you power them down.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

strategery posted:

Quick Recommend: Blades of the Shogun is 20 bucks and is basically commandos 1/2/3 but set in feudal japan. It's one of my favorite games in recent years and is extremely good.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Rainbow Six Siege is real good.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

just lol if you don't play dark souls on a drum kit

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Tangledeep is really good :toot:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Is there anyone in the known universe who does not have FTL who would like the extra copy I got free with Into the Breach.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Yami Fenrir posted:

I actually don't have it yet.

Add me on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/lazorexplosion/

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Olive! posted:

Can someone else who's play Stephen's Sausage Roll please explain to me what the criteria are for being able to step off of a sausage roll onto solid ground? It seems like it should work but doesn't allow it in most situations.

You can only step off the sausage on the end, like

here <-- Sausage --> here

if you went up or down, it rolls the sausage.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Looking for some recommendations.

I really enjoyed Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley, Broforce, South Park (Stick of Truth and Fractured but Whole) and Torchlight 1+2.

I didn't care for Pillars of Eternity, Civ 5, or Volgarr the Viking.

I can afford something up to $20 - $30.

Grim Dawn is $5 at the moment

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Wizard of Legend impressions: I would recommend it so far on the basis that it just feels really good to play, and there's a nice variety of attacks to play with that I'm sure is going to keep me coming back for more until well after I've got my money's worth from the relatively low price. On the downside, the art is not as vibrant or interesting as the top tier games, and it can be a little hard to see enemies winding up attacks, especially with the display damage numbers option on (on by default, but it's better off). Thumbs up, worth a look.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

POE2 has a 25% off deal on fanatical for the next nine hours if anyone is hanging out for a discount.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

That was an extremely good monthly bundle

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

40% off Oxygen Not Included, looks like it's time for me to jump in on it.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Hearts of Iron 4 is really fun, I like the balance it strikes between having a bunch of mechanics but not being too inaccessible.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Also Renowned Explorers complete edition (contains all DLC) was added to the Humble trove and is therefore also available with the monthly, and it's a great game with great DLC and the DLC has never been bundled before as far as I know.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Two very consistent things for some reason: the overall average quality of the humble monthly (pretty decent), and the number of people insisting that this month's bundle has really gone to poo poo now.

Boo a bundle with Hitman and Hollow Knight with some mediocrity, remember back in the days when you got uh Infinifactory, Mad Max and some mediocrity?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

66% off total war: warhammer 2 yo

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I am 100% on board with being bribed into using the Epic Games Store and also Uplay with free stuff and early discounts.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The best stealth game is Invisible Inc

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Wow Darkwood is good as hell

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Kly posted:

im playing Prey for the first time and it was all going pretty good until i i did calvinos workshop and phantoms started spawning everywhere
i thought maybe i could sneak around them or blow em up with canisters but it doesnt do much to them. i made as much 9mm ammo as i could and medkits but ate all of it up pretty fast.
what am i missing? how do i deal with these guys?

Flee unless you absolutely have to until you can blow things up with your merest thoughts

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

:gas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

AI War 2 is so good. The grand strategy where you're balancing choices between ton of different rewards to salvage with different benefits and objectives to destroy while not making your borders indefensible or pissing the AI off more than you can handle is just so great. You're out there doing full scale invasions, hit and run raids, surgical strikes behind lines. I had the craziest fight, losing five planets in a fighting retreat where I had to keep falling back to get the fleets repaired before their attack ran out of steam and a counter-attack took them all back, it rules.