Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Has anyone else used Depressurizer to create 1,000 categories (which sounds excessive but is actually extremely useful) and found that the "filter" function in Big Picture (and only Big PIcture) drops the frame rate to like 1 frame every 5 seconds? It is now useless in Big Picture, which puts me in a worse position than when I started.

Another question: Is there a program that will continuously record video for a specific duration, like how the Playstation 4 does it? I know I could use Fraps or whatever, but I want to set it so it only records the last, specifically, 20 minutes of gameplay and nothing before that.

credburn fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Deakul posted:

Fallout 4 also has the worst open world I've ever seen in a Bethesda game. You basically only have 2 major settlements with npcs and the rest of the world is just ghoul infested small settlements or you have to effectively reconstruct the world and it's economy using a terrible and super tedious ui.

Fallout 4's "settlement" thing is an awesome idea, as an idea, as in, an idea for an entirely different game. I don't care how short you make the pop-up distance, it's not a settlement if there's another settlement three hundred loving feet away.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Nuramor posted:

Is there any reason to not get the two Ground Control games in a pack for 3.05€?

Ground Control 2 is a fine game, kind of a self contained, perfectly playable, above average product. But Ground Control 1 was phenomenal. Not the story...is there even a story? I can't remember. It's a real time strategy with a lot of emphasis on utilizing terrain; you don't have resources and there's no base building. It's all about positioning and quick thinking. It's really good; I compare it with Myth. It's kind of a sci-fi Myth. If you've never played Myth, go play Myth (not Myth 3)!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I just bead Dead Rising 2. It was very good!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Finally freed up enough room to play Doom. The new Doom. It's fine...I'm pretty disappointed, really. How can I not be, after hearing about it for the last year. But it feels pretty solid. The graphics are wonderful and somehow this rinky dink computer I built for under a grand three years ago can pull it off. I'm not sure if that speaks highly to the game's optimization or just the PC's final escape from the clutches of having to upgrade every six months, as it was some fifteen years ago.

What I don't like is that the game starts by showing you how you have complete control, you can run fast, jump high, climb on poo poo, and it gives you this level that just lets you have fun with that. Then the next level has you on some Marscape and (because I got lost; my own fault) ended up near the beginning where the OVER HERE IDIOT mission indicator was telling me to go to this platform. Well, turns out, you're supposed to go all the way around (which is not a long distance if you went where you were supposed to go) but from this angle all I can see is a mission indicator telling me to get to that place, and I see all around me a thousand ledges and platforms. In trying to get to my destination, I found that a lot of things I could climb on, but inexplicably a lot of things I couldn't. I found a lot of invisible walls where you might expect (say, the edge so your dumb rear end doesn't fall off) but others that are just stupid, like on top of a box or something that is like, as high as my knee. After a lot of Skyrim-esque hopping along slopes and corners and poo poo, I finally got to my destination, but just hit an invisible wall again. Then I went the long way around and got to where I needed to go.

The point of this rant is that...isn't it stupid, to have a game show you how free you are, and then immediately restrict you with invisible walls and platforms that I was just told I could climb on but now cannot? What's the worst game with "invisible walls"? I think the worst offender I can think of is Dirge of Cerberus. First of all, Vincent with his loving elf shoes can jump six feet in the air. There's one level where a street full of debris keeps you from advancing. You could step over most of it, and you can jump like loving Super Mario arrrtuugghhh why do I have to go the loooooong way?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Just an update to say I've changed my mind and Doom is awesome again.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey, does anyone here use dance pads? My girlfriend just invested three hundred dollars on a pad. We used to play with Stepmania, but we recently moved and now my computer is in another room connected to the living room television via Steam Link. Steam Link is awesome and works great, but the bastard will not recognize the dance pad. I use various controllers, and they all sort of just default to the XBox controller setup in Steam using xinput. They all work, basically just translating button inputs into whatever Steam wants them to be. The dance pad, however, will not cooperate. When it's connected directly to the computer, the xinput translates the button input correctly, but through the Steam Link it does not. It recognizes there's something plugged in, and it thinks it's an XBox controller, but none of the button presses register.

We actually bought a big rear end CRT television just so we can play DDR on the ol' PS2.

On a related note: The DDR craze has long since gone away, but are there any games out there that use dance pads? The only one I can think of is Crypt of the Necrodancer, which is a lot of fun, but we're wanting to move on. I see there's this game, Pulsen...are there any others?

Edit to also add:

Oregon's fire warning or a leaked image from the new Far Cry map?

credburn fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 30, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

il_cornuto posted:

This is good but how do you simulate installing a game and then later uninstalling it to free up space without having put more than 5 minutes into it?

God drat it but that is a plight, isn't it? I have a 100 gb solid state drive. I love it. It's fast. I don't use it for anything but gaming. Everything else can go on a normal drive. But I want to play the Witcher 3. I can do so, but it means I can only play Witcher 3. And it's a long God drat game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I don't understand why anyone bothers with anti-piracy things since they don't work. It wouldn't surprise me if Sonic Mania was already available for anyone to pirate. It wouldn't surprise me if it came available before the game was released. I have had okay luck with anti-piracy protections; the only problems I've had in the last few years has been with any and all Ubi Soft games. I don't know if it's specifically their servers that the game has to connect to or what, but often times it will just shove me out of the game with some obscure coded error that I've learned has some vague relation to anti-piracy protection. The solution was a hacked .exe. I don't think that's piracy, is it? But in any case, doing that disabled the anti-piracy thing which enabled me to play the game I bought. I remember a decade ago having all sorts of hell with SecureROM and the like. SecureROM games used to cause my DVD ROM to refuse to eject my God drat disc.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I'm a PC gamer anyway, but at least once and probably more times the reason I bought a Steam version of a game as opposed to the PS4 version is because I am a lazy motherfucker and cannot tolerate changing god drat discs to play different games. I remember when I brought home the DVD version of Baldur's Gate, instead of opting for the six-disc version. It was like ten loving years later until DVDs became a regular thing for PC games. Anyone remember that? Why did it take so long?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

So this guy (I don't know why it didn't capture the subtitles) tells me "do not touch" but the instructions say "find the statue" which is right in front of me. I've fulfilled two instructions by locating and not touching the statue and yet the game will not progress. I'm out of ideas, I have spent literally days on this. I don't want to use a walkthru because I don't want the story spoiled.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Random question - I've got a load of non-Steam games in my library that I've manually created shortcuts for. If I get a new PC will those non-Steam game library entries show up on another system?

I don't really care about the actual game data and I can fix any broken shortcuts when I need to, but it'd be nice to keep the library list the same.

The Steam library is stored on the cloud; as for your custom shortcuts, those are stored locally. I'm not sure where, but I'm pretty sure it's called something like shortcuts.xml and can just be copied over. Steam makes backups of this file, too; occasionally, after an update, it will replace the shortcuts with a new one and erase all the custom ones.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Whoever suggested Realm Grinder I want to punch in the loving throat. I'm passing up sex to stare at numbers.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Black Griffon posted:

I just reinstalled it, EA was really loving fun and satisfyingly violent.

I played this once a long time ago. It was an early version and in my experience it was like, the first level felt very much like Road Rash but then it went off the rails and you were flying off procedurally generated roofs with jetpacks and I got immediately disinterested. Can anyone comment on how grounded this is?

Edit for context: We're talking about Road Redemption.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Man, Road Redemption is often so true to its inspiration that it, also, at times when you veer slightly off-road will halt you via an invisible wall a loving inch from the finish line and you watch as you go from 1st to 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 9th, 15th, and you slowly wheel your goddamn bike around and drag your pathetic rear end past what really appeared to be the exact spot at which you stopped goddamn it to hell

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

when unity daggerfall comes out i'm going to lose my poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_53ewC7wsz8

God drat this makes me have PTSD over what I thought Morrowind would be like and what it turned out to be like. Which like, in retrospect, I think Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls game. I want a game as ambitious as Daggerfall...though in all honesty, I don't know that my grown up brain has the patience for such things.

Hey dudes, this surely must sound stupid, but I can't figure this one out. In Big Picture mode, I can easily go to the Disk Management thing and see all the Steam games that are installed and how much space they take up. I can't for the life of me figure out where this same feature is located outside of Big Picture mode.

credburn fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 27, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I want to chime in with my support behind the purchase of a Steam Link. I bought mine for like twenty five bucks and have used it every single day for two years. We have a 30' network cable we run under the carpet, so I have yet to experience the lag problem people get. I will say that using my Logitech gamepad has a headache because for some reason Steam doesn't treat the thing plugged into the Steam Link the same way it would as if it were plugged into the computer (which I believe it should.) This has been a recurring problem with every single update, because it's like, there are these third party things that make it work, but then Steam updates and either they incorporate their own version of that or they fix the problem, but then the third party programs cause problems, and then...well, anyway, I'm just saying, it's a great tool but I think it's time I just got a XBone or PS4 controller. I hear those work fine.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Rise of the Tomb Raider has on one hand some of the best graphics and presentation I've ever seen. On the other, what a loving awful game. It's so God drat insulting to have every ledge and path clearly drawn on by bird poo poo or paint. And I can't help it, I've played Tomb Raider games, I like exploring, but gently caress this game is all about creating the illusion that there's any openness to this at all while punishing you for attempting to go there. This ledge looks exactly like that ledge, but birds didn't poo poo on it, so you can't actually grip it. Invisible walls, areas that look like they can be explored but apparently the developers forgot to put an invisible wall to keep you from these areas so you just instantly die once you touch a certain rock or something, mechanics that work in some places but not when the plot doesn't want you to do it. At one point you gain the ability to throw your grappeling hook, enabling you to reach higher ledges. Not just any ledge, though! Nice try, Lara!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not going to disagree that it's insulting, but isn't this sort of a convention of the genre? It's been a while since I played an AssCreed or Uncharted game or any of these modern platformers, but they usually pretty strongly signal what's "interactable" with the environment. I'm also not sure what the alternative would be, since I imagine the general complaint would then be "I tried to make that jump thinking that I could grab that ledge but nope I couldn't."

I recently played Uncharted (the first one) and my biggest complaint is that, yeah, there are TONS of ledges in that game that look just like any other ledge, but no, Drake can't grip them. I think what annoys me about this telegraphing in Tomb Raider is that in classic Tomb Raiders, these things were telegraphed by, well, low polygon count, I guess. If a ledge was less than 45 degrees, you could hold onto it. If it was less than 30, you could walk on it. I think there could have been a better way to implement this sort of thing without actually bird-making GBS threads on everything, but now that I think about it, I really don't know. Doom did this too, now that I think about it, but it was all glowy-yellow.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

My review for Starbound, my new favorite game.

I bought this game right after it came out of early access and I quit right when you did. I heard there were mods that fixed so much of that, but it was all so complicated and new patches were disabling some mods but not all mods and some savegames and nothing worked right with each other... I really wanted to like that game, but it required an investment in the mod community just to understand how I could even make the game feel finished. I'm happy to see there seems to be a cohesive setup so...gently caress, I'm going back in.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Aphex- posted:

Has anyone got any opinions on STASIS?

It looks really interesting and I'm all about sci-fi horror but it's got mixed reviews on steam so I'm a little wary.

I want to check it out if just for the enthusiasm on the game's description.

quote:

STASIS The isometric, point-and-click, sci-fi horror adventure game!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I love that Steam has these achievements, even though they kind of don't mean anything. But since it's easy to integrate HTML wizardry into the Steam database, is there any games or websites that do anything particularly interesting with the achievements?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Griefor posted:

Fanatical has a bundle going on with Monster Slayers in it. I like this game and have posted about it in this thread before.

That bundle gives you the game for 75% off, plus its DLC, plus a bunch of other games.

This looks like it might be fun, but the art style turns me off so much. I've played three or four other games that look and feel exactly like this, though with an entirely different UI and mechanics. I mean, is this made using a kind of Flash-based engine that a lot of people use? It just feels like this should be played in a Newgrounds window.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Mokinokaro posted:

Wasteland 2 recreates the grognard systems of a 1980s crpg, for better or worse.

Hope you like 6+ forms of lock picking that are generally mutually exclusive

And really misleading chances of success. I read that whatever chance is displayed (for anything -- lockpicking, repair, shooting, maybe?) is the base chance before modifiers. So when you fail a 90% chance like six times in a loving row, it might be because you're carrying too much or something that the game is not telling you.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Edit: haha I didn't read well

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hollenhammer posted:

Also in video form, George of SuperBunnyHop documented the events at the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCAVbPaw5SI

I read that when a camera shot cuts but is still centered on the same subject, if there isn't a greater than 40 degree change in scenery it causes stress in human beings. I can't remember why this happens, but I know for me it's just frustration that the editing is so half-assed and jaggy. God dammit why can't anyone edit their loving videos

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey, anyone have any idea why none of my controllers are working right anymore? It's been a while since I've used one, but I just got the bundle that had the Tooth and Tail game and want to play it with my girlfriend*. The controller kinda sorta works in that if I push up on the joystick, it moves up, but then it just keeps moving up, like I'm holding the joystick. Only, sometimes it doesn't do it. And sometimes it doesn't respond at all. And if it does respond, there's an enormous lag. This is happening with two Logitech controllers and a Steam controller. Tried it originally using the Steam Link, but just now hooked it up to the computer directly and it's still doing it. Sonofafuckingbitch.

*Look, I know you didn't need a backstory for this but now you have one. I know this is making this post obnoxiously long but I also didn't want to leave it unaddressed because it would drive me nuts later on.

Edit: I edited it to make it better.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Prison Architect gets so many things right that it's baffling to me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

What are some good couch coop games to play with 2-4 people? We've been playing Moon Hunters and it's a lot of fun, but maybe there's some other good stuff out there. Steam sure loving sucks at identifying what "couch coop" or even "local coop" means. By that I guess I mean companies will slap every label on their MMO to get me to look at it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I didn't realize BBC's website was so saturated with clickbait headlines.

Edit: Until now.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey dudes, is there a streaming thing or a YouTube playlist that sort of just rotates through games' trailers and such? Steam's ad screen saver thing doesn't work correctly when I stream it over the Steam Link for some reason and anyway, I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for.

I have 1,500 games now. I don't know how this happened. Well, that's really a combined library with my girlfriend. We want to play some random games, and it'd be nice to just watch random trailers from this library and sort of just make note of what looks interesting. But anyway, I guess if there was just a playlist or something of random steam games, it'd be about as effective. It's not like we're goddamn responsible with money.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Too Shy Guy posted:

How in the world did you not just search YouTube for Steam trailers?

If you're actually trying to find things in your library to play, an alternative approach would be to use https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/ and click on filters that look interesting to you to narrow down your list. It's a very robust tool.

Man, I must have searched for all different combinations of "steam" and "trailer" but never put them together. Mostly what I got was a lot of MOST MISLEADING GAME TRAILERS EVER?!?! That's exactly what I'm looking for.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Kly posted:

What is this?

If you're in Big Picture mode and wait around a while, it'll start showing ads. But mine are all just black boxes with FAILED TO LOAD on them.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey, if Girlfriend and I both have Steam accounts and both own the same game, can I run two instances of Steam and just have them send the output to two different monitors? My computer's relatively powerful. Like, it's not a behemoth but it maintains 50-60 FPS on high quality Witcher III, if that's sort of any indication? Well, anyway, my point is, the games we want to play are of the kind that are too demanding to use on our laptops but pretty easy for the desktop to do. But I don't know about the splitting thing. I mean, I already have multiple displays, but I don't know about running multiple Steam games at the same time.

Oh, furthermore, even if I did get that done, wouldn't the input all just go going to whatever instance Windows prioritizes?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I think I asked this before, but I don't think anyone knew? Or maybe I didn't ask it. Or maybe

Is there any website or game or anything that makes interesting use of achievements? Like, there's this astats.nl which is uh, neat, I guess. But... surely someone has done something... more?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Guys I'm stupid, how do I make that go from not installed to installed?

Edit: Nevermind, I fixed it. I had to right click on the game inside the list, go into the properties, go to the DLC tab, and then check the box marked "install." Is the DLC that bad that by default it just lies dormant? Ha.

credburn fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 2, 2018

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

ArfJason posted:

afterbirth+ was notoriously bad on release. I've played like 2 seconds of it after buying it last sale and it seems fine but has a lot of really bad items.

Yeah, that seems to be the biggest issue, a glut of bad items. I just did a run and got the Fish Head and then the Fish Tail. On one hand, that's a really unlikely combination of things to get. On the other hand, maybe having one makes the other more likely to appear :|

StrixNebulosa posted:

Titanic: Adventure Out of Time is on Steam and somehow I missed it??? This game is one of the best adventure games I've ever played, it's atmospheric and creepy and I spent way too many hours playing it when I was younger, oh my goodness.

Uh, creepy gameplay? No thanks!

credburn fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 2, 2018

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Edit: god dammit

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Well, hell. Today I decided to play a run or two of Dead Cells, but I was going to be at work where the wifi sucks so I just started in offline mode. It gave me the message saying that it couldn't sync with the cloud, which is fine -- Binding of Isaac says this every time I play it at work in offline mode. This is my first time playing Dead Cells in offline mode. Well, gently caress, I don't know how it stores its save data -- I didn't even think about it, I just hit the new game button or whatever. And then it was telling me a bunch of tutorial messages, so I realized that this game assumed this was my first run. So I got into a place where I could use wifi, turned Steam online thinking I can at least get the game going in online mode and then move it to wherever and it probably won't make a difference. But, to my horror, I guess the game assumed that the most recent save, the one automatically generated in my offline game, was the one I wanted to keep, and so it just overwrote the one stored on the cloud!

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Just want to say, in case anyone else does this -- Dead Cells apparently keeps its online save and offline save separate from each other. So, if you play offline, it won't have a local copy of your online save. And if you're online, it won't even acknowledge your offline save.

(to recap: I played DC online and then offline and was mad because it looked like it deleted my saves)