Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Samuringa posted:

I got one of these and I'm sure I won't use it, anyone interested?

Hm. Has anybody tried Car Mechanic Sim 18 For owning CMS 14 or 15? I find this kind of sim pretty hit or miss, so I'd appreciate some opinions about Car Mechanic Sim 18 For owning CMS 14 or 15 before I take the plunge.

Also that's a kinda weird title for a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Spaseman posted:

The game itself is real solid but currently suffers from a bunch of bugs. The devs are working real hard and have put out three patches (as of Saturday) already and the game was only released Friday but I would still wait as there are still a number of bugs.
Thank you for your answer to my extremely serious question about the game Car Mechanic Sim 18 For owning CMS 14 or 15. I guess I won't buy Car Mechanic Sim 18 For owning CMS 14 or 15 then.

EDIT: Oh, Samuringa, I'm just curious, do you know why the gave you a coupon for the game Car Mechanic Sim 18 For owning CMS 14 or 15?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sunken fleet posted:

Worst part of the game is the intense desire to pick everything up clashing against my limited inventory space :(
player.setav carryweight 10000

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pentaro posted:

Nah, but if you do it anyways learn from my mistakes and don't pick the ninja robot dude. :sigh:
Also get cheat engine and crank up loot quality so you actually see purples and oranges.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ikari Worrier posted:

So Steam thread I finally played F.E.A.R. :staredog:

Are its expansions worthwhile at all or should I consider beating the main game a "good enough"?
I think the first one opens with the (dead) villain of the base game literally saying "Nothing makes sense anymore!" and he's correct. The gameplay remains good, though.

And one of them involves playing some random security guard instead of the Pointman, who somehow has the Pointman's bullet time for no reason.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DatonKallandor posted:

Don't forget that the FEAR expansions also feature maximum steve blum overload. One of them has a scene in which the player (Steve Blum) watches the Villain (Steve Blum) torture a random mook (Steve Blum).

FEAR 2 is weaker in terms of gameplay - the AI isn't as good, the combat encounters are worse, etc. - and it's got a different more console friendly art style, but it has some really good setpieces (Power armor!) and the story is a good continuation unlike the FEAR 1 expansions.

FEAR 3 isn't a FEAR game at all. It's fun in coop as a strange score-attack magic-shooter thing, but it's not a FEAR game.
... I don't remember any of the Fear 1 protagonists talking, ever.

I remember the FEAR 2 DLC actually being pretty good. Opened with you playing a... I think Replica soldier? And then you get brain-hacked and have to fight your way through a bunch of your former comrades and then poo poo starts getting, uh, weird. In a good way, not a "the ending of FEAR 2 base game" way.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WirelessPillow posted:

Yep, it ends by kicking of the beginning of Fear 1.
Given that what I remember brain-hacking you was the ghost of Fettel, the guy who was alive and well during Fear 1, I think it was leading into Fear 3 instead.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

This sounds like it could be even more useful than Pet Pal. Is the elf companion tolerable and useful? I almost have to pick him/her up now.
Note that in the very first townlike area I talked to a dog and got a quest and a key to use in said quest from him. It seems like Pet Pal is even more useful this time around than I remember it being in 1.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

I found the start of Original Sin 1 to be pretty bad - the town section and quests were too long to hold interest and trying to leave the town ended with me and my buddy getting destroyed by enemies regardless of the direction we picked. So I've never actually played past what I assume is the intro section of the game. Did they fix it in OS2 to make it more dumbass-friendly?
I had similar problems with 1, and I can confirm that 2 has much improved this.

For one thing, combat skills and noncombat skills aren't competing for points, so you don't have the lengthy town section convincing you to invest in talky skills and stealing and poo poo leaving you underprepared when you leave. You also don't have a maximum number of active abilities known, you just have slots you can equip them into and can learn several over that and switch them around depending on situations.

You will want to invest in some thievery to steal poo poo and thus get some gear and stuff to sell for gear by pickpocketing people in the opening townish area, combat can be a bit rough until you get some actual gear. You get the ability to respec, seemingly for free and without limit, once you make it out of Act 1, so don't worry too much about your build.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

Was that the one where the game chokepointed at NPCs who played cutscenes or something, and you'd just build up a pile of warm bodies waiting for an event that would never fire to advance them? Which would in turn put more load down?

Because man, that's extra special. I might be thinking of a different game though.
The cutscene played fine.

It was the "going into a solo instanced battle" part after that, uh...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mordja posted:

All the footage I've seen makes the actual combat in SR look as dull as dishwater. Which is weird considering Syndicate and Syndicate Wars had you leveling entire city blocks with micronukes and mindcontrolling civilians for human shields.

Plus making it so that you're some sort of resistance instead of a soulless corporate type completely misses the point.
From what I remember of the plot that I played in the beta you seemed to be more of a covert ops strike team for a rival corp. There was some Super Mind Control Sattleite or something that's close to done, and your job was to jack it and use it for YOUR faction instead. The combat, though... yeah.

tight aspirations posted:

Yeah, I was pretty much hoping for Syndicate v4. Guess I'll just reinstall 2013's effort and pretend the silly redemption bit doesn't happen.
The redemption bit in the syndicate FPS does happen right after you get hacked by somebody with a grudge against the corp you were working for...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lakbay posted:

Despite him saying waiting for a deep sale I'll probably end up buying it before the week is over because I'm jonesing for an exploration focused RPG and I loved Risen 1 and I liked and beat Risen 2. I'm just worried I'll run into a game breaking bug or nasty difficulty spike.

I also got the more serious "the refund system is not for demoing games, please stop" message even though it's been 3 months since my last refund so that's out of the question
Have you played Risen 3?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... I thought this was a sci-fi game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Basically, if you can stand the jank and boring/unfair action sequences, Deadly Premonition is awesome.
And track down an infinite use melee weapon promptly, I think you can get the infinite wrench before any other forced combat sequences.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

Infinite use revolver + infinite use guitar.
Unless things change substantially in the PC version I believe infinite guns are actually quite a bit weaker than their ammo-using counterparts. This is however not true for melee weapons.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Det_no posted:

So ended up buying A-Train PC Classic after all. It's as good as it's always been... except twice now I seem to have run into a problem that makes the tutorial really hard to complete and would probably ruin it for someone new to the game. Now I'm worried other scenarios might be broken and one could potentially lose hours of play.

https://webmshare.com/3Xrd8

I can't find anyone else reporting this issue at ALL though so basically feel like I was stabbed by a friend. I guess... buyer's beware? If your name is Det_no don't buy this game, you'll be utterly heartbroken. You'll also be like half the potential customer base :saddowns:
... What is the problem you're trying to show off here?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, to be fair, Bethesda don't seem to be able to move past the original Fallout setting, despite constantly moving the timeline on. I get why you'd want to make a game set in the immediate aftermath of the apocalypse, just stop saying they're 200 years later.
Which is weird because Fallout 2 did that. The NCR had built a brand new city with paved roads and everything.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

McFrugal posted:

CHIM isn't really about characters realizing they are in a game. It's more like they realize they're just an element of someone's dream, and then the dreamer tries to erase them and they refuse to cease to exist (I AM instead of I AM NOT), which gives them independence and thus power. The dreamer is the Godhead in this case, and is a being of great power who originated from a different universe. When I say "universe" I'm not talking about Mundus, by the way. Oblivion and Aetherius are also part of the Godhead's dream.

The Elder Scrolls universe is essentially a big-rear end onion of layered dimensions, which is potentially inside a different onion and likely has another baby onion inside the sun.
I believe the description Vivec gives in some book you can find in Morrowind for his view of the universe while hopped up on CHIM sounds an awful lot like the morrowind mod tools interface.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pigbuster posted:

My biggest issue with the Borderlands series is how little your own character seems to interact with the world. They have their quips and all, but for the most part it seems like it’s mostly everyone else talking at you, not with you. Co op characters don’t quip with each other, either, as I recall. It’s partly why I liked Tales‘ implementation of the setting so much more.
The characters in Pre-Sequel have actual conversations with questgivers and stuff. More so with main plot stuff than sidequests, if I'm remembering correctly.

EDIT: Also, One Way Heroics tip: if you have a good axe on a strong character you can just cut a hole in a wall and walk through, making exploring the maze buildings less of a risk since you can just make a wall explode and leave if the left side of the screen is getting too close.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Man I hope this is a good port.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vakal posted:

Aw, does this mean no more dead vultures with 300 foot long necks?
Maybe if we're lucky it means dead vultures with 400 foot long necks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

pick the most naked loli and hit us back with the results

knowing these games that's the op character
"Looks" appears to be before you pick your class, so it seems like it'd be unrelated.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

pentyne posted:

How is I Am Setsuna? I remember it getting a lot of attention when it came out for being a fully fleshed out classic style JRPG but that's not necessarily a good thing.
Do you like ice, snow, more ice, and even more snow?

Do you like your videogame soundtracks made entirely with one instrument, piano?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

pentyne posted:

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of reasonable complaints about the game so it really seems like any glowing praise is just "this is almost like Chrono Trigger but not really" and that they kept the traditional bullshit problems of old school RPGs rather then take note from modern quality of life improvements.
I'm not kidding about the piano thing, btw.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Augus posted:

Divinity II: Developer's Cut is on sale right now. How is it? It looks like a very different game from Original Sin
It's an extremely different game, being a third-person action RPG where you play a person who can turn into a dragon (eventually, you don't start with this).

This isn't quite as fun as it sounds because person-scale enemies disappear when you do and you fight flying things and siege weapons instead but it's still pretty fun.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ariong posted:

What is the "Mom's Spaghetti" award for? Scariest game? The description is confusing.
This is the best idea I have for what it means and it's still not very helpful:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

It hasn't really changed from last year but I'm not disagreeing.
I remember the categories being clearer last year.

EDIT: Like I'd say last year was "lovely" and this year is "super lovely", based on that.

EDIT EDIT: Also I just put Cook Serve Delicious 2 for "mom's spaghetti" because food, ignoring the actual description

Zereth fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 25, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Deakul posted:

How can you still think that after DA2, (most of) ME3, DAI, and MEA? The Bioware we all knew and loved has been long dead for many years now.
I believe there are almost no employees left from the crews that made Mass Effect 1 or earlier games at Bioware.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

No idea what exactly it's tracking and how but it definitely won't know how much you paid for a game outside of Steam.
I'm pretty sure it's just looking at your transaction history and adding everything up.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I got some answers before about the general quality of Capcom's ports, but after a few days- what's the opinion on Okami HD? I saw some posters here say that they had no controller support but that seems to be in the minority?

Steam reviews seem very positive atm.
I haven't had problems with my controller.

It doesn't let you adjust the resolution without quitting to the main menu, and if you're in "Fullscreen" and not "Borderlesss Windowed" it likes reverting to normal-windowed mode if you alt-tab. I was very annoyed by this until I noticed the borderless setting existed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Darkhold posted:

It was a scam legitimate offer that promised you a free copy of some newly released game. All you had to do was give them your login, password, and turn off your steam guard.

There was then a screenshot of the game in someone's account and 'proof' stamped on it.
No, it was even dumber than that.

The :proof: stamp itself was given as proof.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

I'm the copyright notice on a scam page

Original idea do not steal
Not copyright anybody in specific, of course. Just copyright.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

Wait, it's been a while since I played it but doesn't magic damage just ignore physical shields and vice versa?
Yes, but very few enemies in Original Sin 2 don't have at least a reasonable amount of both, and most of the enemies that don't just don't have any armor at all. At least as far as I remember.

So you're better off focusing fire on one armor type to get through to the meaty center first.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wow the bouncy RC car in Watch Dogs 2 is extremely overpowered. Enemies never connect its activits to you, so you can just drive it into a danger zone, pick up the bag of cash or whatever, and despawn it and stand up and walk away fine.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah it honestly gets a bit boring because that trick works in like 90% of the game. And then the other 10% they contrive reasons to force you to infiltrate in person and it's either a giant pain in the rear end or there's a simple trick that gets you what you need with zero threat, so it's still boring.

Though the actual worst parts of the game for me so far have been the car chases. There's something seriously hosed with the AI, so losing a scripted wanted level higher than level 2 usually involves desperately driving into the woods and hoping you happen to be camped in a spot the AI can't drive to or see (and you get to watch the AI circle around you like sharks because they blatantly know exactly where you are at all times). Because otherwise the game will just constantly spawn new pursuit cars on the road in front of you, making the hacking traps pointless. And then you're hosed if you're not in SF proper, since that's the only place you can feasibly zig-zag through side streets to possibly avoid them as they appear. Sometimes you can pull some goofy poo poo by running away on foot - hopping into a scissor lift and extending it up so you're out of sight - but that doesn't work for every mission.
The first time I used it to do that I was expecting it to have to bring the item back to me before I got it, but nope.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a point to drinking coffee or beer at restaurants/bars in Watch Dogs 2? It doesn't seem to cost any money or do anything.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wow, the wall jump in Hollow Knight just lets you loving go right up a single wall with basically zero fuss.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gerblyn posted:

Demos can be very expensive to make as well. It usually goes like this: 1-2 months before the game goes gold, you take a copy of the current game build, branch it off from the main build (so you can develop it separately) and make a bunch of changes so that it stops after 2 hours/2 levels/whatever. The thing is, the demo is now a separate piece of software, so it has to be tested separately, and on console it needs to go through the TCRs (i.e. you need to pay MS or Sony to evaluate it). If you make a fix in the demo, you need to port that fix over to the main build (or vice versa) which is sometimes very easy, and sometimes a pain in the rear end. All in all, the whole thing can cost $10k or more, so if it's not going to lead to 400+ sales, it's a direct loss.
And if you're going for the, say, Stanley Parable approach of "completely different content between demo and main game", that adds quite a bit more dev time and expense.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

To add to what others have said, at the beginning of the game, it's more about zombie avoidance. Tell him to use his mobility to his advantage.
Or kicking zombies into spikes.

I have a question about Elex: which faction has the more fun guns to use, the Clerics or the Outlaws? Note that "killing things real good" is a factor in how fun it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Crabtree posted:

Dying Light the original game is still kind of decent if you can do it with other people. The Following is kind of garbage that doesn't' really improve the game so much as give its own disappointing sequel before Dying Light 2 is even a thing.
Dying Light, The Following:
"Hey, did you like all that parkour and verticality and grappling up poo poo and kicking zombies off roofs?"
"DID I????"
"Well what if we gave you a car instead!"
"uh"