Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Or just ignore the settlement building mechanic entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Anarch posted:

:cawg: Gotta check for those last minute bugs...

Grimoire Dev - "Found another bug. Looks like it might be a tick. I may have Lyme disease now. Better postpone the game for 2 or 3 years until I can get this sorted out."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

exquisite tea posted:

It's made by the creators of Gone Home, so it's that kind of "rummage through people's personal belongings" sim in a sci-fi setting. Early reviews from the Guardian and RPS have been positive.

Does the game feature any futuristic Lesbots?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It would be one thing to work on a ridiculously niche game for 6 months, knowing full well only a handful of people will play the game. To work 20 years on something you apparently think is going to set the world on fire and be the next minecraft.... I mean, gently caress. Craziness.

Even if it was a brilliant, amazing game, the number of people looking to play a modern take on the old Wizardry style games is vanishingly small.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maybe us Sapes just don't get it. Makin' my brain ache juss tryin' to consider da infos.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nah, it's fine.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Drifter posted:

Can somebody please play and give a short review about that crazy guy's game, Grim Grimoire - Heralds of the Kingdom or whatever it was called?

I'm dying to know what it's actually like.

Imagine balls, slapping you in the face, forever.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Convincing of what? That garbage game is still garbage?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I love TitS, especially when Steam is involved.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Palpek posted:

Guess what, a new Anno set during the industrial age is coming, it looks great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsFL7W-IGA

Oh poo poo, whaddup son.

Looks like they finally realized that half the appeal of the series is the old-timey charm from the earlier games. We might finally get a true successor to Anno 1404.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreenNight posted:

Wait so you guys are saying I can play ESO all by myself and not have to do anything MMO at all? gently caress, why didn't I know this before.

Yes, that's pretty much how all MMO's work.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sivek posted:

DRM blows and has no positive benefit to the consumer.

And? The world is filled with things that have no positive impact to a person, it doesn't make them bad.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, Deathstroke is way off the charts in difficulty compared to what you've seen in that game up to that point.

Even when you get his patterns down and know what to do, it asks you to do it 40 times in a row and it just becomes a slog.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

AbstractNapper posted:

It's just that when it came to interrogations the game made me think that like I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing.

You didn't know what you were doing. They only way to fail the first handful of interrogations is if you have autism levels of "I can't read emotions on peoples faces."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That, and the tag system is kind of hosed too.

Did you have to make a decision at some point in this adventure game? Yes? Then tag it as a strategy game too.
Hey, this FPS has a limited three item inventory. Better mark it as an RPG then.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The studio behind Cuphead came up with the art first, then the boss battles, and then they finally decided to shoe-horn in some levels last.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gort posted:

I see Planet Coaster is discounted to £20 today - worth it? I loved Theme Park back in the day.

Buy it if your interested in the sandbox building stuff. The financial tycoon stuff if barely there, so don't get it if you more interested in the challenge of running a money earning park.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I mean, the financial stuff is even less present than Cities. It's really 99% about sandbox building your own dream park. What financial stuff is there is threadbare at best.

The one downside is even if you really love the sandbox stuff, the game definitely starts to chug and bog down when stuff starts to get complex and detailed. I refunded back at release when the first thing I did was load up someone elses super-park, and with all settings maxed I was getting about 15fps, and that was on a 980TI at the time. I have a 1080TI now, and I'm just letting the game simmer for a year or so and see what kind of performance improvements they can get out of it before I dive in again.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Justin_Brett posted:

They didn't decide, I think MS actually mandated the actual levels.

Interesting. From what I recall it was just going to be a smaller boss-rush game. I guess MS was all "Nice, but that won't sell. Add poo poo."

Welp, they certainly added poo poo, but it's probably worse off for it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, these narratives aren't ludo'd enough. It's goddamned dissonant, is what it is.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Synthbuttrange posted:

Basically there were no graphics controls at all when it was released

That's not even remotely true. It had more settings than most other games. They simply added even more later, and a ton of under the hood optimizations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was watching the Gamespot Cuphead review and was thinking it would've been cool if they had added in some 3D backgrounds like the old Popeye cartoons, and then right after they show just that. A circular "stereoptical" desert backdrop, which definitely seems to pay a little tribute to the classic Popeye Meets Ali-Baba and The 40 Thieves.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
More like this thread is missing some WITCH STUNTS.

Wanna see Grizelda do a 1080 front-side broom flip into a reverse cauldron grind.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, the McElroys are going to be the richest dudes in Mordor then.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Get Desperados, amazing game.

Avoid Desperados 2, it's complete trash. I think they ran out of money and just shoved it out the door or something, there are so many things in the game that appear unfinished.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DaveKap posted:

I was checking out the top sales list and wondered why Shadow of War was missing. Turns out they aren't even allowing pre-orders on Steam, you have to get your key elsewhere to pre-load it. Also, it's not a midnight release. :( Weird decisions all around.

Also the music is fantastic! The Steamworld devs are amazing at production value.

They must've changed something, because I preordered it on steam about a week ago, and did the preload 3 days ago.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

spincube posted:

I think Deus Ex is sorely missing some QoL improvements that the genre has settled on in the almost two decades that have passed since it was released.

I would therefore say that it is not 'objectively good', as 'has a sane default control scheme out of the box' is a qualifier, to me, for a game being 'objectively good'.

Rebindable keyconfigs are for insane people who use ESDF or something, not for fixing a game that expects you to use [semicolon] to reload your weapon.

So you use ESDF from home, then?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Did anyone pick up any extra copies of Spelunky when they were on sale for like a buck fiddy a week or two ago? Don't want to wait for the next sale.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kibayasu posted:

I don't think you can buy extra copies of things any more. If you buy a game as a gift you have to send it immediately.

drat, didn't know that. Oh well, thanks for the heads up.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Unacceptable Simian Casualties.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Seventh Arrow posted:

That snowy base in NOLF 2 was legit spooky, especially when you start learning the backstory of the super soldier.

"Man, what's making that banging noise....."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

No thoughts yet, but they have also put out a demo with the full release, so there's you're chance to try it out.

Demos need to make a comeback.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Microproses old B17 game had an amazing manual. It was a glossy full color 100+ page book about the history and missions of the B17 Bomber. Tons of photos and historical accounts, with the instructions for the actual game interspersed throughout.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

StrixNebulosa posted:

6 GBs is not a small download! And it needs 15 GB total!

It's 2017. 6gb is a small download.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

StrixNebulosa posted:

:psyduck:

No, it's a fairly decent sized download? It's not the megasized dls like 20GB and 50GB games, but it's still pretty big!

Small is a couple hundred megabytes. That's when I know I'm in either old game or indie territory.

Inco posted:

That's still about 9-12 hours for me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Infinitum posted:

What games approach the 100Gb mark?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

destiny 2
forza 7

CoDIW
CoDWW2
CoDBLOPS3
WoW
ESO
BF4
ME:SoW

Basically if you're game has a title that can easily be turned into an acronym, it's got a big install.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tom Gorman posted:

I still want to get Shadow of War but the 70+GB download is the only thing that's kept me from getting it

I live in a poo poo area and have the highest possible package for my internet, and I get about 2.5MB down, if my girlfriend isn't watching Netflix or Youtube. Costs me 70 bucks a month for that. I've literally considered uprooting and moving to get better internet.

Don't forget another 40gb if you want to add on the hi-res textures and cinematics packs!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The General posted:

Whenever I receive a message on steam, it dampens the sounds of whatever else I am doing. This never used to happen, how do I make it stop happening? I don't want to turn off sound notificiations, but I also don't want steam to lower the volume on whatever else I am listening to.

Check the base Windows settings to figure out if it's Steam or Windows that is doing it.

start
control panel
sound
communications

When Windows detects communications activity:

select "Do nothing"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Did you upgrade to the Fall Windows Update recently? If so, that might've reset some stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Grapplejack posted:

I really hate this "feature", I don't see why it isn't opt in at least instead of on by default and hidden in the sound menu.

It sucks to be sure, but if you look at the user base of Windows as a whole, it makes sense to have it on really. There are going to be a poo poo ton more mainstream and business users that would appreciate audio ducking while they're Skyping or whatever, than people who would be negatively affected while playing a game.

I just wish Windows wouldn't haphazardly keep some settings and reset others after an update. And then after another update resets a whole different group of settings and retains others. And has an actual game mode that deactivates every last pointless piece of poo poo setting you don't need, instead of the half-assed game mode they have now which is basically "Uhhhh, we won't run Windows Defender for now, I guess...."