Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Tacoma is basically Gone Home plus the "ghosts" from System Shock 2. I liked it, but it was a bit underwhelming. If you only got money for one single Walking Simulator this week, you should probably pick up What Remains of Edith Finch instead, which is on sale now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Fuligin posted:

I 100%ed Hollow Knight and now I'm craving more ~metroidvania good stuff~

I've got Environmental Station Alpha but I'm pretty turned off by the lo-fi graphics and controls, they give me a headache. Ori is intriguing, but I've heard it's more of a metroidvania in name only and is pretty linear? Help me steam thread?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/428550/Momodora_Reverie_Under_The_Moonlight/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/332200/Axiom_Verge/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275390/Guacamelee_Super_Turbo_Championship_Edition/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/236090/Dust_An_Elysian_Tail/

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

corn in the bible posted:

there is no reason to ever play cave story + on pc

Please elaborate

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
My experience with Borderlands 2 scaling:

There is a mechanic where enemies that are too high level for you will have a skull over their head.

I did not notice this mechanic until I tried doing an optional raid boss postgame, and got a tutorial popup about it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Just call it PoX

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Rime is 33% off. Is it good?

It's an OK, atmospheric puzzler kind of like ICO (though no combat). It is pretty linear though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Cojawfee posted:

I finished The Witness today. I cheated on a few puzzles because if I don't figure it out after a few minutes, I'd rather just move on with the game. Sometimes I just don't have the time, especially when the puzzles in a series sometimes go up and down in difficulty. Though I did have to use a puzzle type guide all the time because I'd forget what each symbol means between sessions.. All in all, I really enjoyed the game. The puzzles were fun and the game is very beautiful. I'm not entirely sure if it had a story. I got some kind of meaning out of the ending, but I didn't understand the optional bits. Like why am I watching a video of a guy trying to carry a candle across a windy ruin? I'll have to go back and look for the rest of the environmental puzzles and some of the other optional bits.

As far as I understood it, the island is just a place to meditate in whatever way you find best. Did you find the secret ending, by the way?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
http://store.steampowered.com/app/676820/Subsurface_Circular/ is a cool little game about robots and their place in human society. Basically a Visual Novel, so don't expect any gameplay apart from conversations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Are the Dead Rising 1 psychopaths supposed to be garbage bullet sponges? Especially that motorcycle chick - only way I could kill her was by cheesing geometry and shooting her after climbing on poo poo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Quest For Glory II posted:

A lot of people wanted Bulletstorm without the awful GFWL integration, but Gearbox thought the best thing to do was sell it at $60 and half-assedly put Duke Nukem in it and call it a day. And also they didn't award it to original Bulletstorm owners, and offered a discount that was just not good enough.

Top sales for 2017-released games so far (so not Dishonored 2 for example cause it was released in the 2016 holiday season):

#1 Playerunknown's Battlegrounds 7.3m holy cow!!!
#2 The Long Dark 1.04m
#3 Dear Esther Remaster 803k (did original owners get grandparented in?)
#4 Slime Rancher 754k
#5 Portal Knights 585k
#6 Conan Exiles 582k
#7 LEGO Worlds 577k
#8 Black Desert Online 568k
#9 A Youtuber's Life 545k (why)
#10 For Honor 506k
#11 Hollow Knight at 501k (just wanted to include this on here cause yay for Hollow Knight selling well)

If you include F2P games the list is almost entirely different of course:

#1 Unturned 30m
#2 PUBG 7.3m
#3 Creativerse 3.9m
#4 Fallout Shelter 3.1m
#5 Last Man Standing 3.1m
#6 Dungeon Defenders II 3.0m
#7 Argo 2.2m
#8 Line of Sight 2.0m
#9 Orcs Must Die Unchained 1.6m
#10 Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop 1.56m

Paid Games released in 2016:

#1 H1Z1 6.6m
#2 Don't Starve Together 6.3m
#3 Skyrim Special Edition 5.9m
#4 Bioshock Remastered 3.8m
#5 Bioshock 2 Remastered 3.4m
#6 Stardew Valley 3.0m
#7 Starbound 2.9m
#8 Wallpaper Engine 2.8m
#9 DOOM 2.2m
#10 Dead by Daylight 2.0m

#31 Dishonored 2 853k

top 2015 seller: Rocket League (5.8m)
top 2014 seller: Shadow of Mordor (4.0m) (most likely because of that GOTY deal Bundle Stars always ran)
top 2013 seller: Rust (5.6m)
top 2012 seller: CS:GO (31.4m)
top 2011 seller: Skyrim (11.4m)
top 2010 seller: Civ V (10.1m)

someone will have to explain to me the success of A Youtuber's Life

e: oh yeah also with these lists I'm not trying to prove anything I just thought I'd share them because they were interesting to me, although it does seem like year-over-year AAA sales are trending down a bit while indie games are skyrocketing. this is a fun rathole to go down.

e: e: since i'm about to hit the hay i may as well pre-emptively respond to anything else: obviously bundles will inflate some owner numbers, although in Youtuber's Life's case, it was the single game of a $12 tier, so its success is still really bizarre to me. slime rancher was an early access game and in a humble monthly. and i think steamspy is not the most accurate website around, though it's still better than vgchartz at least

Just a note - on your 2016 list you should exclude Skyrim Special Edition and the Bioshocks because most of those numbers are from people that owned the original Skyrim/Bioshock and got the updated version for free. I would also exclude games that's been on Steam for years but got out of Early Access in 2016, like Don't Starve and Starbound.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Too late. You're already dead.

NEVER re-use passwords, folks!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Yeah, you never get trading cards in regular Steam because no one ever plays their games there.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

And then they ruined it by having standard FPS weapon sounds.

edit: They just launched a Kickstarter. They promise a playable demo some time during the campaign.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1777595379/scorn-part-1-of-2-dasein

ymgve fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 5, 2017

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Tokyo Dark is a new Visual Novel game published by...Square Enix?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/687260/Tokyo_Dark/

Anyone know anything about it? Is it good or bad?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Which game?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Unbalanced posted:

I was more ok with it than what is typical with that style of ending, because at the very least (ALSO HUGE SPOILER!) the simulation was based on events that had really happened. How the real Morgan handled the situations is left up in the air and all we can know for sure is that he/she didn't kill or let Alex die.

She probably got killed by the Nightmare because she didn't have quicksave/quickload

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Just play Sleeping Dogs?

That's not crooked cop, that's thinly disguised homicidal maniac that manages to keep both cops and triads on his good side

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The best part in L.A. Noire is when it does a time jump and suddenly the main character is cheating on his wife with some lady that he had showed no chemistry with beforehand. Just "oh I guess I'm playing a cheating rear end in a top hat now"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is Divinity: Original Sin 2 a direct sequel to D:OS1, or can I jump straight in? I never got further than halfway in D:OS1, and don't remember much of the plot.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Phlegmish posted:

Avellone is involved with every single CRPG revival project. Last I heard he's working on Pathfinder: Kingmaker. The man is omnipresent

Makes me wonder what level of involvment he has with most projects. I assume for some projects it's like "sure, you can slap your name on it, let me write a paragraph or two of backstory"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
They should make a Quantum Break spinoff game where you failed to save the world. Make it a survival game where you have to run around an open world gathering supplies, with the whole world being frozen in time.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Child of Light gave 600ish Uplay points while normal games mostly give 100. That gave me enough to stop thinking about points for a while.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Xaris posted:

The caves are good but hoolly poo poo gently caress THE FLOOR IS LAVA cave, jesus christ. you get to the end and grab the cog, then it taunts you with a sign "haha lava was not your friend! try beating it without touching the lava!" so you have to go back and do it over

I've been bashing my head over this stupid cave for the past 30+ minutes :mad:

There is a late game upgrade that helps a lot with that cave. Just come back later.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Olive! posted:

The creator is accused of having done bad things on the internet like 7 years ago, if that colors your decision to buy it

It also has a small voice part from legit nazi JonTron too

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Wish I would have known that Neon Chrome was a good game before I passed on the Very Positive Humble Bundle! I usually skip games described as "twin stick shooters" but that looks pretty good.

Also it turns out the name "JYDGE" is literally ungoogle-able. It keeps thinking you're trying to say judge.

Use double quotes around a search term to tell google that you meant exactly what you typed

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

nachos posted:

Day 1 baby, I need to kill me some nazis

why do I have to choose between killing nazis and running across the world as a fat plumber, oct 27 is a busy day

ac origins also releases at that date but meh

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Playing Doki Doki Literature Club reminded me of this tiny gem - it's a 5-15 minute long text adventure, and 100% anime free, so everyone should play it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Rookersh posted:

Because it wasn't invaded according to the game. It was a police/peacekeeping action!

When you exposed it for an invasion NATO came in.

Why didn't NATO lead the peacekeeping action in the first place? Why am I arguing about logic in a game where North Korea takes over half the globe?

Also for some reason the new South Park game doesn't release at midnight on Steam, even though it does on Uplay and PS4. Just...why.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
gently caress yeah new Zachtronics game in three days

http://www.zachtronics.com/opus-magnum/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj689znjxpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/558990/Opus_Magnum/

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I've restarted DOS2 like three times now because I feel like my party is unbalanced. And now people are saying Fane is the one with most responses/side quest stuff, so I'm considering restarting again once I come back to it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

That's the non-default tileset to "help" non-purists. The default one seems to be 100% DOS ASCII.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Dias posted:

oi you fucks is danganronpa 3 decent or is it a disaster like that side-game that i was unfortunate enough to learn about

like i'm not gonna buy it now because i have way too many games on the backlog but i finished 2 on a whim and it was good so i wouldn't mind going for another round of super high-school fucks getting murdered eventually

It's good, but there are a few things happening in it that made some fans really hate it

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
How fun is Destiny 2 if you're mostly a single player guy without a mic?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

bentacos posted:

I, too, have been playing Watch_Dogs, and am very troubled by the lack of dogs.

The sequel fixes this.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

CJacobs posted:

Reading through the guy's analysis, I think what happened to cause it to crash and burn is that he pushed the game ahead of the marketing. In the article he says that he put the game out and then mentions the lack of publication about it. It seems like a case of putting the cart before the horse- imo it'd make more sense to wait for journalists etc to cover it first and then put the game out instead of the other way around.

That's not a bad idea for indies though. Like, if you get a one-paragraph mention in RPS that says your game will be out in a few weeks it won't really matter because 99% of the readers will forget the game is coming out. But if you get them to say "this interesting game is OUT NOW" it means that people slightly interested can just go and buy it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

nachos posted:

If I'm in the mood for a horror game should I get evil within 2 or resident evil 7?

do you want psychological horror or slasher horror?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

nachos posted:

the former

Then I guess you want Evil Within 2 (be warned that I haven't played it so I don't know if it's good or bad)

Resident Evil 7 is great but it's more hillbilly psycho house then mutant shooting gallery later

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Blattdorf posted:

The Sexy Brutale is like Majora's Mask-lite. Play it if you have it in your library, it's really good.

The game felt like it never reached its full potential - all the people are basically inside their own self-contained stories/chapters. I would have liked if there was more interaction between the diffent people, so it felt like you were actually at a murder party.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

exquisite tea posted:

"You were the bad guy all along" twist endings are almost as bad as "it was all a dream/simulation" in the annals of video game history.

That was the most pointless twist in Crackdown. Oh, I'm a bad guy? Who cares, let me do more jumping over buildings and throwing cars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The Crew 2 is coming in March, though I guess I'm one of the few people that liked the first one.