Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Really Pants posted:

something something, ЁҎЯҶ

What about my my yacht?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Looking for more games to play on my Macbook, preferably turn based or keyboard/touchpad playable. Here's a list of my favorites on Steam:

FTL
Rimworld
Civ V
Don't Starve
Darkest Dungeon
Starbound/Terraria
Monster Slayers
Monaco
Hotline Miami
Hero Academy
Craft the World
Into the Breach

So more stuff like that would be great

GrandpaPants posted:

Dungeons of the Endless
Tales of Maj'Eyal
Tangledeep
Stardew Valley
Slay the Spire

If you end up liking Slay the Spire (a deck-building dungeon crawl), Dream Quest absolutely deserves a go. It's Slay the Spire's brutally ugly genius uncle that happens to be related to Desktop Dungeons by marriage.

It's graphics are extra extra special, but it has more depth and strategic deck-building direction than Slay the Spire.

I also hear good things about Card Quest, but I haven't tried it and it doesn't look like there's a Mac OS version.

You might also like Door Kickers (top-down Frozen Synapse style Swat 3) or Defender's Quest (sprawling tower defense/rpg).

E: How could I forget Talisman? ;)

E2: Somebody already recommended Defender's Quest, so I'll add the holy trinity of Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 10, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

So are they probably gonna port Into the Breach onto everything like FTL eventually or would the control scheme not work very well? I haven't played it yet but it seems like it might be a good thing to get on tablet or something

The controls seem like they'd be much easier to port than FTL's. However, it sounds like ios and android is a "maybe, but not for a good while":

Subset Games FAQ posted:

What platforms will it be on?

Into the Breach will be initially available on Windows. After release we intend to bring the game to Mac and Linux as well. As a small studio, we found managing that large of a release for FTL very difficult, so we’re going to spread it out more this time. We will consider the possibility of bringing the game to Mobile devices and/or consoles in the future, but it is not a priority at this time.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ceyton posted:

That's a big fundamental problem with online matchmaking. Without a steady stream of noobs to match against each other, the community becomes highly skilled and insular, new players get stomped on or scared off by the skill curve, and the community slowly dies by attrition.

As with so many other things in life, the solution is to git gud.

If by "git gud" you mean 'git gud at constructing a thriving online community' via competent, instructive ai and training tools, effective handicapping, and incentives to positively interact with new players - sure.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 12, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Children gambling is supposed to be a good thing now.

Lootboxes are and always have been bullshit and they can't go away soon enough.

Is MTG also illegal in Europe? The monetization seems basically identical to loot boxes that can be cashed out (just not digital). I would shed no tears if all "mystery _____" style schemes disappeared.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

You can buy specific individual (C/E/T)CG cards aftermarket. (I don't know if any of those publishers sell individual cards directly.)

You don't always have that option for specific individual loots. Maybe not even usually.

My understanding is that it's the loot boxes that do have aftermarkets that are in trouble, because you can cash out your winnings.

dont be mean to me posted:

You can buy specific individual (C/E/T)CG cards aftermarket. (I don't know if any of those publishers sell individual cards directly.)

You don't always have that option for specific individual loots. Maybe not even usually.

My understanding is that it's the loot boxes that do have aftermarkets that are in trouble, because you can cash out your winnings.

She Bangs the Drums posted:

Trading Cards are not blocks to progression.
Loot boxes in these games are ltierally blocks to progression especially when compared to previous game (like FIFA) that didnt require loot boxes to enjoy it.

Have you ever played a CCG? Progression (in the sense of competitiveness) literally hinges on the cards.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 25, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

That's what makes this Belgium ruling significant. It includes games, like Overwatch, where there isn't an aftermarket.

Does the Belgian ruling give a path for compliance beyond "get rid of the boxes"? Like the previous suggestion of clear odds + maybe a guaranteed amount of virtual cash in each box to make any winnable item purchasable within a fixed minimum number of box openings?

E: I think that's already pretty close to how Overwatch does it, except the "fixed minimum currency" part.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 25, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Truga posted:

"People have been drinking and driving for decades, but now it's suddenly bad?"

Someone, probably, around the time that law was being made.

Seatbelts! :argh: efb

Content:
The GMG22 still works for 22% pretty much any cart on Greenmangaming and stacks with their current sales - just picked up Biohazard 7 and Shadow Warrior 2 for less than their historical lows. If you've had your eye on new games or anything on sale, it's definitely worth a look.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 25, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

haha dont people Australia pay these prices still?

We still effectively pay those prices in the US. It's DLC + sales and reduced pricing taking the place of the second-hand market on digital platforms.

Australia just gets doubly screwed.

E: There probably would be some form of sticker shock associated with preventing companies from bleeding whales. It's worth it.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 25, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

DrNutt posted:

9/11 was close to twenty years ago but I get your point.

What does 9/11 have to do with anything? She voiced Aquaria somewhere in 2005-2007 (hence roughly "ten years ago"). Regardless, the original poster's point was that she carried Aquaria despite being an unknown voice actress. Which she absolutely did, regardless of her politics.

It's pretty disappointing that's she's turned out to be a poo poo person, but it's extremely likely that no one knew that at the time (she was what, 22-24?) and most people probably aren't aware of it now. I certainly wasn't.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I had never heard of Aquaria until today, should I check it out

It was one of the first big Indie hits on Steam. It's absolutely fantastic, though apparently you'll be giving some small amount of money to a neo nazi (+ 2 cool developers).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

the cost could be no greater than $1 and take no time at all, but your idea would still be moronic. Hypothetically, let's say that the developer decides to go through with your idea; what do you think would happen after that? Would all of her twitter followers abandon her in disgust and turn away from alt-right conservatism forever, or would the act of removing her VO work in a 10 year-old game for political reasons give her a new reason to be in the limelight and result in her having even more followers than before?

It's also extremely unlikely to cut her out of any (minuscule) future sales, unless the contract explicitly hinged on her work being present in the product at time of sale.

no you see its very important to censor speech because nazis and stuff

:rolleyes:

E: So folks with Starpoint Gemini Warlords experience: do you get used to the controls after a while, or do they just stay grating? The concept of the game sounds right up my alley and I can tolerate bad controls up to point, but if it's game-ruining I might stay away.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 26, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Det_no posted:

This is probably the first time in five years that anyone talks about Aquaria because that game's main appeal was being an ok indie title back in an era when a lot of indie was unadulterated Flash garbage.

It's a good Metroidvania. It definitely stood out against in the fledgling indie scene when it was released, but it still holds up well. It's not for everyone - the overall tone and pace of the game is atmospheric and more exploration-focused.

There's a demo available, but I think it's for the first part of the game, which is pretty slow. It picks up a bit once you get combat abilities.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

isn't call of juarez: gunslinger supposed to be really good?

If anyone's interested in trying the not-quite-as-good original Call of Juarez, it's currently $2 at Indiegala.

Speaking of Indiegala, their newest adventure bundle isn't half-bad for $3.50:

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition
The Last Door - Collector's Edition
The Last Door: Season 2 - Collector's Edition
Quest for Infamy
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller
Morningstar: Descent to Dreadrock

Moebius: Empire Rising
Cornerstone:The Song of Tyrim
Tick's Tale
Supreme League of Patriots Season Pass
Lost Civilization
Face Noir
Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolarh

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I'm thinking about getting Watch Dogs 2, so I waded into the morass of DLC to see what it would take to pick up the whole mess:

Only non-cosmetic content:
$32.99: Gold Edition
$32.98: Standard Edition + Season Pass (missing cosmetic Punk Rock and Urban Artist packs)
$32.62: Standard Edition + No Compromise + Human Conditions + T-Bone Pack + Root Access Pack (less Punk Rock, Urban Artist, & Psychadelic packs)

Everything: (these get you all dlc)
$51.11: Gold Edition + Mega Pack + Ultimate Pack + Supreme Pack
$51.10: Standard Edition + Season Pass + Mega Pack + Ultimate Pack + Supreme Pack
$50.74: Standard Edition + (No Compromise + Human Conditions + T-Bone Pack + Root Access Pack) + Mega Pack + Ultimate Pack + Supreme Pack

Add the Fully Decked Out Bundle if you absolutely must have a Twitch Hoodie and 5,000 DedSec followers for $3.29

Thanks Ubi!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I picked out zero of the DLC because I glanced at all that and more or less went 'nope'

The base game has been more than sufficiently entertaining without it

That's where I've finally ended up, too. For me the take away was that there's no savings (and some loss) to be had from buying the gold edition/season pass, so I don't really feel like I need to make a dlc decision right away.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

then you tack in inflation changing what $50 means over those 25 years and dang, no wonder game development sucks

woner when/if there's gonna be a sea change

There's two big factors at play:

1) Games are a much bigger business and variable costs have gone down (in general, though licensing has to be factored in). With widespread acceptance, that means you can make more money at lower (introductory) price points.

2) With digital distribution, developers use sales, dlc, and gambling mechanics (i.e. loot boxes) to capture the breadth of price discrimination that was previously captured by secondary markets or rentals. Previously, profits for providing price discrimination went to reselling locations like Gamestop - now publishers and download platforms have taken those profits back.

In the end, it's pretty similar. A new AAA game + season pass runs $90-100, but if you wait a while you can get it for cheaper, just like how in the 80's and 90's you could get a game for cheaper by buying second-hand, renting, or borrowing from a friend. Console games still retain some of the second-hand market, but publishers have worked hard to include dlcs that don't transfer.

sunken fleet posted:

Yeah I can't really find any ire in my heart for game devs complaining about having to deal with "gamers". Even setting aside the current race-to-the-bottom market.

E: Definitely this, though. The indie scene has been saturated for years and gamers (as a group) are notoriously horrible.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If there's anyone who still doesn't have the original Witcher game, it's currently free on GoG in exchange for signing up for their newsletter. Also some Gwent cards, I guess.

https://www.gog.com/gwent-welcome-bonus?pp=d965a463ac183af4828302b14522bb3371cec49f

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hmmm... Well, Watch Dogs 2 base game plus only those two DLC is only $2.16 less than just getting the Gold Version. That's not really a huge difference, so I suppose the Gold version is okay to get. I'll skip all the unincluded cosmetics.

It should be $4.97 less. The "Deluxe Edition" just includes two cosmetic packs.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Awesome! posted:

yeah when i was playing dark souls i was like hmm you know what would improve this? qtes at the end of every fight

For anyone who hasn't played The Surge, there is not a "QTE" at the end of every fight. Once you've done sufficient damage, if you hold X for a short period of time without being staggered you'll perform a finishing move which chop off body parts for crafting materials and can be specced to heal you a small amount. The finishing animations can get a little old after a while, but that's your signal to switch to a different weapon for a while.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 2, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Baller Time posted:

Also there was this mid 00's European ARPG whose name I can't recall. It was a cyberpunk setting, loot was the same as Diablo but guns and trench coats instead, and it was an obvious alpha build that got a retail release.

That would be Restricted Area. It was godawful, but flaming dudes through walls was fun enough. I remember selling it so I would stop wasting time on that pile of poo poo.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 3, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

PS4 only, but has anyone tried Alienation? Twin-stick sci-fi shooter with loot sounds like it might be as close to a feasible sci-fi Diablo-alike as possible (without just giving up and doing "future swords").

Garfu posted:

I guess it all boils down to what you're prepared to tolerate in terms of rough edges for a unique experience. I can't argue with the complaints about Kenshi's flaws, but then I ride a 50 year old Triumph and its a similar experience. People often come up to me and admire it, and ask about owning one and are put off by the price you pay in blood sweat and tears . I had a girlfriend for years who was sex on a stick, my junk has never forgiven me for dumping her, nobody could believe my luck, but I tired of dodging crockery. If you want easy go buy a Big Mac, but it hardly counts as a gourmet experience. You don't get to have your cake and eat it in this life I'm afraid, and if you haven't learnt that life is a compromise yet, prepare yourself for a steep learning curve.

edit: ok I admit that's a comment on a 500 hour negative review

Indeed, it is the fate of men to choose between an attractive sex partner and a healthy non-abusive relationship. :rolleyes:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 3, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Awesome! posted:

its a twin stick shooter by housemarque so its good by default. its more of a shmup with a few arpg elements though. you only have a few skills and they recharge by picking up drops from enemies you kill so you cant spam them. the guns are random but the system isnt nearly as deep as a normal arpg.

its a cool game but if i specifically wanted "sci-fi diablo" i wouldnt be happy.

e: also since we are in the steam thread, please buy nex machina. show housemarque that maybe arcade isnt dead.

Oh man, I didn't notice it was a housemarque joint. Nex Machina is great! But yeah, the quest for a sci-fi diablo-alike continues.

There's also Harbinger from back in 2003. It was ... better than Restricted Area, but that's about as much praise as it deserves.

al-azad posted:

The Marvel Ultimate Alliance and that one F2P PC game are definitely ARPGs with a ton of loot drops and they're decent to pretty good.

Sadly Marvel Heroes went downhill fast and now has been put out of it's misery :(

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

i think all people take the world at a different pace. you and i, maybe we turned out fine, but not everyone will be.

in japan, they have programs designed to re-integrate hikikomori, shut-ins, NEETs, etc etc back into society through mentorship, therapy, and gainful employment. each individual retreats for different reasons, and these things all have to be considered. it's a process, and rehabilitation requires a certain amount of material resources. so it's not something that can be accomplished without funding.

nobody needs more enemies. least of all these people, simple as you or i, whose circumstances led them down an unfortunate path.

Rehabilitation through programs is very different that "accepting" them (by not calling them out on their horrible views or severing toxic relationships). Their toxic views need to be called out at every turn and be clearly socially unacceptable, because positive or even neutral exposure is how this poo poo spreads.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Morter posted:

Well I guess action games with trading in them? Not just buying low and selling high but also raiding people and maybe run from cops (or anything that'd wanna stop you)?

Yes, I am aware of Rebel Galaxy.

It's old (2001), but Independence War 2 has some of the best pirating/running from the cops gameplay I've seen. There's not much of a trading game - you just need specific trade items to trade for specific ship upgrades, but scanning cargo moving through shipping lanes and trying to snap up what you need while dodging massed security long enough to escape interdiction (all in with newtonian thruster movement) is harrowing.

VVV Whelp, there goes my Sunday! VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 6, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I finished my last run of Fallen Sea before the submarine stuff came out. Did they continue developing the sea surface locations (which I recall happened at least once) or should I only expect new content to be underwater?

There's a short surface storyline for building the submarine and a few storylines designed to lead you to underwater locations (mostly passengers that you pick up at surface locations). I didn't play Sunless Sea before the expansion came out, but they apparently updated/added several surface storylines for the expansion's release (though the expansion wasn't required for the new storylines). The expansion nearly doubles the number of significant ports, so there's a lot of unterzee content.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Speaking of deals, A Hat in Time is currently $17.50 at GMG with code MAY22 (it's all-time low). I seem to recall it was pretty well received - what were people's impressions?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't know much about these games beyond screenshots that get posted here and people's comments, but
(a) sounds like it's easy to meet, but legally it's a higher bar than it seems.
(b) requires explicit sexual nudity and requires it to be "patently offensive" which also an extremely high bar. If these games really are censored on steam then they don't meet (b) and even if they were uncensored keep in mind real person pornography generally clears these bars, so you have to be really offensive to be worse than that.
(c) If you can't argue artistic merit then you're not trying hard enough at this point, though I wouldn't be surprised if some of these games are so inept they can't clear this.

It's really hard in the 2018 world full of internet porn to argue something violates all three of those conditions. Maybe the pedo ones do, I don't know how explicit they are and I prefer not to.

The text of the law could pretty much cover everything or nothing, depending on the judge's (jury's?) interpretation of "patently offensive" and "artistic value". Presumably there's some body of precedent to provide more guidance, but it's both a bad law (highly subjective standards) and a dumb law (why are we banning subjectively "obscene" prurient content in general instead of just targeting specific highly damaging content like child porn?)

E: All while Steam happily shills a sexual harassment guide masquerading as a game (and marketed as a real-life sexual harassment guide!)

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 18, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Tip Report: The Division

I didn't buy it, I just downloaded the demo. Well, the tacticlol guns guns guns thing is great but I'm not sure the gameplay holds up for me.

So here's how the basic gameplay experience has been for me so far. You can't really be stealthy, once you fire the first shot, everybody gets in on the action, meaning every encounter is pretty much a big open firefight, with you against a bunch of dudes in a battlefield full of waist-high cover. You pretty much have to be behind cover the whole time or you'll get wasted pretty quick. I have no problem with this general style of gameplay, however the frustrating thing is that enemies are *constantly* throwing laser-accurate grenades right over your cover so they always land right next to you, one after the other, which means you have to spend the vast majority of your time not shooting, but busily swapping from one cover prop to the next, during which time the enemy shoots the gently caress out of you (because you'll be out from behind your cover) and keeps on lobbing those infinite grenades they seem to have. You really have no special tools for dealing with the grenades except for running away or staying where you are and shooting everybody. If you run, you get shot and killed because you're not behind cover and if you stay, you'll get owned by the grenades from which you have no defense, and the window for shooting people without getting owned by gunfire seems to be incredibly narrow.

I don't think this game is for me.

It's been a while since I play the Division, so I might be remembering some of this advice incorrectly:

- Grenades are annoying, but early game they'll mostly be coming from grenadier enemies (with a little grenade icon on their health bar). Focus on taking them out in your initial attack and you'll have much fewer grenades to deal with.

- Don't try to take on too many enemies at short range. Keep in mind available soft cover (walls/trucks) behind you and run away to regroup if enemies get too close. Starting engagements from further away can also help whittle down enemies before they become too deadly.

- In closer combat, use the cover-to-cover movement system to help avoid fire between cover. If you place you crosshairs close to nearby cover, you should see a highlight. Pressing the cover button will execute a crouch-run to that cover location that is generally better at avoid fire than running yourself, so long as you're not moving to an exposed position. You can also use this round corners or make short hops past gaps in cover. In the long-run, you'll want to rely more on soft cover, but cover-to-cover movement is pretty handy early on.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

LLSix posted:

It's cool that its only as hard as you make it. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to get it down to only 8 tiles. How did you do it?

You have one more necessary tile than fit directly around the arm, so you'll need to have at least one of the essential tiles be non-adjacent to the arm. Trying to make part of the output non-adjacent to the arm will mean that you'll need to rotate the output, which will necessarily go outside of the 8 essential tiles. So something else will need to be placed non-adjacent to the arm, and you'll need a way to reach it. Use the piston arm to grab an input placed two spaces from the arm pivot.

Here's my solution:

It's a shame that the thread was archived - there's a lot of cool solutions and ideas!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, asking for both myself and a friend: what are the best parkour games on steam? Dying Light, Mirror's Edge.... what else is out there? Bonus points from my friend if there's no violence/nothing to run from!

Does anyone have experience with Valley? It's tagged as parkour, but is it parkour in the Dying Light sense, or in the "jump/float really far onto platforms" sense?

Blattdorf posted:

Valve is driving me nuts with their lovely browser. The drat thing just likes to hang up randomly no matter what, and how many times do I even have to verify my age?

I've stopped using the store in the Steam client and just use Chrome with Enhanced Steam. A billion times better for the blood pressure.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

Are there any good sci-fi ARPGs out there at all

Does Dawn of War II: Retribution - The Last Stand(alone): More Subtitles count? It's more of an arena ARPG, but it's still bloody good.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

uh.

Why does Twitch download games now, I thought it was just a site where you view people playing games.

They're leveraging their synergies. Or maybe synergizing their leverage.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

How does City of Brass stack up alongside Immortal Redneck and Ziggurat? Loved the last two, and I think this is the first time City of Brass has been on sale?

C.M. Kruger posted:

Yeah you're generally better off going "APOLOGIZE FOR NANKING" or similar if you want to get a rise out of people.

In Hawaii we get some of this poo poo in person. Nothing makes you more proud to be American than some rear end in a top hat tourist yelling "remember Pearl Harbor!" at an elderly Filipino airport janitor :(

Stickman fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 20, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

zedprime posted:

Their argument is going to be there's a material drain associated with customer support managing defective delivery of the software and unauthorized resellers of new merchandise are an uncontrollable link. Like if you buy a "new" copy that's busted (whether because it's some shrink wrapped copy that was used as a coaster or legit manufacturing and shipping defects) the resellers gonna be like all sales final so you go to Bethesda like what the gently caress you selling this junk like this for and either they got a CSR managing this or they lose brand clout.

It's totally a stretch. But it's mostly to control the sale of copies that fell off the back of a truck to add a fencing drain on that part of the market. Sucks it's hitting normal people with buyer's remorse but eh the return period isn't ungenerous these days.

That's an argument against labeling a product as "new" when it should be "like new", but certainly doesn't imply that first-sale doctrine doesn't apply o products with warranties. Ruling that it did so would kill basically every used market in US.

On the other hand, I'd get behind a ruling that warranties must automatically transfer with second-hand sales for the full life of the warranty. On the other other hand, this is America in 2018 so I fully expect that we would effectively lose First Sale if it ever went to court, because gently caress you consumers.

E: How is the season pass DLC for Sniper Elite 4?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 12, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

zedprime posted:

But GameStop sells clearly new straight from the distributor copies and clearly used second hand market copies.

Again this is trying to put brakes on shrinkage in the supply chain because they are only targeting non-retail sellers advertising new copies. That's a market of what besides thieves? People with buyer's remorse? Christmas gifts gone wrong? Do people really buy a new copy and stick it on the shelf for months? Honestly asking because maybe I'm the weird one.

Considering how hard publishers have been pushing preorder sales, I wouldn't dismiss buyer's remorse. Presumably there might also be inventory sales from "authorized resellers", though those are probably relatively uncommon (and knowing the US, there's probably some buyback clause in the distribution deal).

Allowing publishers complete control over who can can sell new items just because some unauthorized resellers may be selling stolen, bootleg, or used stock is pretty heinous. Show that the stock is stolen using inventory control and then shut them down through CPB or the appropriate local consumer protection agency (instead of lobbying to kill the CPB).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

It's not recommended to buy used right now unless you know the seller because everybody's been grinding their GPUs into dust for that sweet cryptocurrency.

I don't think this is really all that true:

- Most used mining cards are in decent condition.
- EVGA, MSI, and Gigabyte cards have 3-year transferable warranties, so most used cards will have 2+ years of warranty remaining. This is based on the manufacture ship date, which is generally the first 4 digits of the S/N. If that's shown in a photo, you can even see the remaining warranty before you buy.
- Ebay has very pro-buyer return policies. If something is hosed up that wasn't mentioned in the listing and it's not listed as "for parts", you can return it regardless of whether the seller states "no returns" or "as is" (in fact, if they say "no returns" you might just get a refund and not have to return it).

If you're concerned about the longevity of a used card, just plan on replacing it just before/after the warranty expires. Used 10XX cards may lose some value over the next two years, but probably not more than 20-30%, assuming you troll for a good deal (and especially if you sell locally to avoid shipping/ebay fees).

Considering that buying used will save you $100+ on a 1060 6gb or $200+ on a 1080 ti (and probably more when the 20XX cards release), it's a pretty good deal.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 28, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Orv posted:

So you can actually min-max it. Your characters stats effect how your character looks and how fast you gain/lose certain skill categories. High Int, more body fat and faster skill gains, high Con, more bulk and damage reduction, high Str, better recoil control and melee damage, high Dex, better stamina, faster running, quicker animations. You could, if you wanted and also managed to find everything, vitamins, antibiotics etc, live a perfectly balanced life while exercising regularly (running a lot, basically) and have the Ubermensch character.

Who would then get shot in the face and it'd all be for naught, so don't worry about it.

That's... something :goonsay:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Did the Toys for Bob Star Control sequel get out of its legal quagmire (I think this was its issue?)? +1ing the "gently caress Stardock/Wardell" sentiment.

Good link to/description of said bundle.

Edit: Here's what I assume the poster was talking about : https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/megadimension-neptunia-vii-complete-bundle

Sadly they're still stuck in the middle of it, as of the end of June. They've estimate their legal defense cost at ~$2m, and their GoFundMe is not going terribly well. So yeah, gently caress Wardell & Stardock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Except it looks really cool.

And if you're planning to boycott something because of legal shenanigans and rear end in a top hat CEO's, might as well never play any game ever again, don't buy food or clothes, and don't interact with the economy at all. All CEO's of all companies are assholes, that's how they became CEO's. And every company is continually suing other companies for petty reasons.

I mean, who among us hasn't sexually harassed an employee, promoted a work environment specifically to continue harassing her until she gets pissed off enough to delete company files out the door, and then use that to counter-sue and force her to write a public letter of apology when she files a sexual harassment suit? I mean, come on, that's just called Monday.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

It's interesting because it seems like Origins may have been an attempt to remake/reboot/reimagine Star Control 2 (the guys behind SC2 got involved because Stardock started filing trademarks for the SC species and such, which they didn't legally own) as some of the reviews of it say that it is basically SC2 with similar plot points, story beats, and so on. But it's seriously just Star Control In Name Only. If it didn't have the name attached, you'd call it a 'spiritual successor' or 'inspired by'.

My understanding is that Wardell tried to acquire the lore rights from Ford and Reiche, but they said no because gently caress Wardell. So the logical next step is to sue their spiritual successor into oblivion, of course (while applying for trademarks on various names from the lore IP owned by Ford and Reiche in order to poison the water). Dude is a ghoul.

E: As part of Stardock's lawsuit, Ford and Reiche would be required to post this on their Ghost of the Precursors website under their own names:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 21, 2018