Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Occultatio posted:

Headlander is not a long game -- it took me about 8 hours to finish and find all the secrets -- but its pacing, writing, coherent holistic art direction and general sense of fun make it a fantastic experience. Strongly recommended.

I'm 3.5 hours into this right now and I agree completely. The Metroidvania aspect is indeed a bit thin - the map design is too straightforward for it to really shine - but the game is just fun. It's fun to zip around and suck heads off, it's fun to shoot lasers all over the place and it's fun to explore and experience the world. The aesthetics and production values are sublime. It's comfortably one of Double Fine's best games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Orv posted:

No it had like a, shaded fantasy aesthetic, it'd been in development forever and they kept occasionally releasing dev blogs but somewhere along the way I completely forgot the name and I'm mostly trying to make sure I'm not crazy at this point.

Was it Spire? That game the Dustforce devs were working on.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I'm playing through Jotun right now, and it's as if the devs completely forgot to add actual Stuff To Do in the levels. 90% of the gameplay is running around really slowly in maps that are overwhelmingly empty and devoid of anything of interest. I guess the main gameplay attraction is the boss fights, which I haven't done yet, but still. Even the camera seems disinterested in the whole thing, often lagging behind for several seconds before eventually acquiescing and centering back on your character. It's all just so plodding.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I really enjoyed climbing stuff in the early Assassin's Creed games because the movement/parkour was a major part of the gameplay and fairly innovative at the time, and because of the historical landmarks. Looking up at Giotto's Bell Tower and thinking "yeah, I'm gonna climb that" and then doing it and being rewarded with a superb view and a bunch of new map markers was great. It obviously lost its luster somewhat as Ubisoft ran it into the ground as a mechanic but I still think it can be good in the right setting. I actually haven't played any of the recent Far Cry games so I dunno how it works there but I can't imagine it being as exciting as climbing the Sistine Chapel or whatever.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

No it was made in 2011. I was going to say technically yes it is their latest but apparently they made some game called Knock-knock.

Knock-Knock was great, by the way. Ice-Pick Lodge fans definitely should not overlook it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Bit of a random question, but can anyone who has Sorcery! 1 & 2 installed at the moment tell me if it also gives your CPU a bit of a workout? I'm not sure what this game's doing that my temperatures go up to the mid-70s. Granted it's the absolute peak of summer and like 30 degrees here, and I'm using the notoriously garbage stock Intel cooler... but still. Running 80 Days from the same devs only takes it up to the mid-50s, Skyrim mid-60s... so I don't know why there's such a stark difference. I can't find any complaints about this being poorly optimized or anything.

I had a similar issue with Mountain recently, but there's a massive thread on the Steam forums complaining about its excessive CPU usage so at least I know I'm not alone. I'd chalk it up to my ancient i5-750 being outclassed by these mobile ports, but then Sorcery!'s system requirements are actually very low.

It's not stopping me from playing though, been very fun so far and having played the books as a kid it's really nice to recognize familiar scenes and try to remember how things go down. UI is a bit dubious from a PC perspective but that's all right.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Xander77 posted:

I don't have it installed atm, but I played a LOT of Sorcery, and it never gave me trouble. The worst was a bit of stuttering during pans across the 3d map in Sorcery 4.

ZearothK posted:

Seconding that I played the hell out of Sorcery without any technical issues.

Thanks. It's running smoothly for me as well so if I wasn't monitoring my temps anyway because of the heat I wouldn't have noticed anything either. I'm still good at the current temperatures but just baffled/paranoid about how a seemingly innocuous-looking game could tax my CPU so much. I think it's probably just the wretched ambient temperature + bad cooling combo.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Glare Seethe posted:

Bit of a random question, but can anyone who has Sorcery! 1 & 2 installed at the moment tell me if it also gives your CPU a bit of a workout?

Quoting myself just to say that this turned out to be a full-screen issue. For some reason full-screen mode doubles CPU usage. Running it windowed keeps it around 25% and my temps look much better that way.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I finished the Sorcery! series just now and it was supremely excellent up to the middle point of the 4th part, when it nosedived into a frankly infuriating loop of tedious repetition and trudging through the same encounters over and over again trying to find whatever needles you missed in the metaphorical haystack. I actually thought not having the rewind feature would be fun and good, especially since I rarely used it throughout the series to improve outcomes, opting to roll with whatever consequences my actions had. But it turned out to be a huge weight on the game's design in my opinion and it's such a shame. The game world is already less interesting than the second or third parts, and the way to make progress more opaque, so having to continually go through the same bits repeatedly just made it ten times worse.

Still, as a whole the series is excellent... just be wary of that fourth part, I guess.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Doesn't necessarily make the towers of magic any better, but still.

Yeah the towers were awful. Even when you know how to get through them it's still so much pointless clicking just to get to where you were. If the game does you the courtesy of letting you keep items/hints it could have also eased you through whichever towers you've already 'solved', so to speak. The UI isn't built to support the no-rewinds design in a game with so much experimentation and unexpected dead ends. And just in terms of feel moving through them one by one was like wading through a swamp; it didn't feel like progress, just tediously checking them off one by one.

I know now you can break the curse with the hourglass, but how does that affect resurrection? Do you rewind all the way back to the Libra encounter in the alleys?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Milkmaid of the Milky Way (2366 owners)

This might be my iffiest rec, because it's not a particularly spectacular game and so maybe it deserves its obscurity, but this is a charming point n click adventure game in rhyme. You're a farmgirl who winds up on an alien space ship and has to save the aliens from themselves, essentially.

It's not spectacular, but it's always nice to have more low-key, humble and charming games like this one. Milkmaid is like the definition of 'lovely game'. It was one of my favorite games that I picked up in the summer sale, so I definitely second your recommendation.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

Somebody talk me out of Origin Access. It's $30 a year for the opportunity to clumsily juggle 3 team shooters that I'm mildly interested in :v:

quote:

I literally don't have the free time for this much content.

You surely have enough games in your backlog to occupy whatever free time you have. Don't let the price/deal bamboozle you - the $30 is ultimately negligible.

Skip it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Turd Herder posted:

I hope this Jigsaw puzzle simulator has one piece that is missing from some of the puzzles. Really make it authentic.

:)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

Man this looks cool but it also looks like it's probably 90% combat.

Are there not any game where you fly around in space being a trucker or explorer or something that aren't like 75%+ combat? Fightin once in awhile is fine but man the whole genre just seems way too heavy on the combat for my tastes. I guess No Man's Sky exists but ehhhh

I just wanna hit spacestation bars and haul weird poo poo across pretty space drat it

Personally I just want RPG mechanics in space. I don't know why space games focus so much on making money; feels like the whole space experience has been reduced to mining, trading and fighting, mostly in a dry universe populated with generic NPCs. How about some actual characters, with proper writing? Or exploration that isn't rewarded with just pretty vistas, but some useful loot, or a new quest? I get the vastness, emptiness and loneliness of space are in themselves an attraction, and I enjoy that too. But there must be a way to inject some warmth, some personality, some hand-designed content, into a space game that would lift the experience to beyond just "make money". Essentially I feel like there isn't enough adventuring in these games, everyone seems to go for a cold and calculated simulation instead.

Maybe Escape Velocity fits that bill the best, but even that had a big focus on trading and money. The various plotlines helped a lot, though.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I've just put about two hours into King of Dragon Pass, am I right to assume not having any goddamn clue what you're doing is the authentic KoDP experience? Cause I sure have no idea what the hell I'm doing. Winging it completely. Built some temples to random deities. Raided some cattle. Sent some emissaries, but I always pick the number of guards at random. Continually forget to send out explorers. Sent someone on a heroquest and he got killed. Sorry dude.

It's such a dense game. I'm sure I'll get used to it gradually but right now I mostly wish the presentation/UI was a bit friendlier. It's difficult to discern what needs attention. I don't think I will become King of Dragon Pass on this first try.

But, happily, I've allied with the ducks. Seen enough warnings in this thread.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Then you read the warnings wrong, you're supposed to gently caress with the ducks.

I figured I shouldn't jump straight into the deep end on my first game. I will gently caress with them hard, next time.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I'm looking at a few Zelda-inspired games: Shipwreck, bit Dungeon II and Super Win the Game. Has anyone played any of these and can say if they have enough personality to stand on their own? Or do they just give you that hollow feeling that you should be playing an actual Zelda title instead? Gameplay-wise they seem fun enough and they're so cheap it wouldn't hurt to just take a punt on them, but I figured I'd probe the thread all the same.

Also, Dex for $2.99, yay or nay?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

Have you played Anodyne?

No, for some reason I skipped it way back when it came out, I don't remember why. I'll keep an eye on it though, looks like it's been cheaper in the past.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Disgusting Coward posted:

Bit Dungeon II is straight garbage, yo. It looks vaguely Zelda-esque and has Zelda style dungeons, but it's all randomised Diablo style loot and the gameplay is like a half step up from Hydlide on the NES. Just walking into monsters, watching their poo poo go down and your poo poo go down and hoping their poo poo goes down before yours. About the only plus side is it can be battered through in under an hour, if you're some kind of cheevo nut.

Ah fortunately I'm not. I'll find a better use for that dollar, thanks.

Really Pants posted:

I don't know any of those but Treasure Adventure Game is free and I thought it was pretty good, if sometimes frustratingly difficult.

I'll check it out!

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 27, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Croccers posted:

It plays like a RPG from the PS1 era, back when they tried different stuff.
IMO I enjoyed it, the plot isn't super amazing but the worldbuilding is nice.

Thanks, I think I'll pick it up if only for the atmosphere and worldbuilding then. I'm in the mood for some cyberpunk.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Hooray for switching to NIS and having absolutely everything get 15% more expensive. Joy.

It blows. Looking at my wishlist it seems most of the indie stuff only went up by 5% or so, though, which is annoying but acceptable I guess. What also sucks is that comparing between Steam and other online stores \ IsThereAnyDeal is now more cumbersome cause you have to keep a currency converter open and tab back and forth.

edit: Lots of big publishers went kind of crazy. Bethesda's stuff is up 20% and Capcom's a meaty 35% across the board, looks like. Good thing I don't really play many AAA titles nowadays. I suppose I'll pick them up in bundles if I'm ever in the mood.

edit2: Europeans and Aussies still have it worse, though.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 14, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Knorth posted:

I steam-sale'd, what fun. Pretty pleased with it, I've really wanted to play Dujanah for a long time and Rakuen looks really sweet. Pyre, Tooth & Tail and Nier at a discount were real tempting but stuck to <$10 games this time

Good job picking up Milkmaid, it's a very lovely, feelgood little game. I'm always glad to see people buy it. And Goetia is also very good.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

If you're someone who enjoys games that are kinda weird, with often deliberately obfuscated mechanics, the sort you have to poke and prod at for a while in order to unravel their mysteries, here's a general recommendation for Caiysware's games, particularly Straimium Immortaly and Echo of the Wilds. The former is a trippy action roguelite, the latter a story-based survival game. I've been playing them a lot in recent weeks and they are excellent if you can handle/enjoy not knowing what you're doing at first. Not everyone will get along with the writing, as it's very whimsically flowery and you have to re-read every item description three times just to understand what it does, but for me it worked to lend more charm/mystery to the package.

Straimium Immortaly is just fun right off the bat and there's plenty of stuff to unlock as well as alternate game modes and ways to customize your runs.

Echo of the Wilds reminded me a bit of The Void, in that you will lose hours of progress and have to restart because you didn't know the game and how to manage your resources properly. On the default difficulty it walks a tightrope between frustrating and engaging, and may fall on either side depending on the player, but fortunately there's a Sedate Mode which eases up on the survival elements and allows you to focus more on solving the puzzles and unraveling the mysteries.

The other two games in the pack are Straima, a fairly straightforward but fun super tough platformer, and Ilamentia, a first-person puzzler which shares the sense of mystery with the above two but which I found less successful because of irritating platforming and frequent game overs.

The developer is also very active on the forums and the games are still being updated. I really like this guy's games and think they deserve a bit more attention. Straimium Immortaly especially is a real hidden gem.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

What's a cool new under the radar action-roguelite these days? Preferrably with some kind of persistent progression. There are so many I have no idea what's good and what's a pass so I just buy the talked about ones.

I posted about it earlier in the thread but I'll recommend it again: Straimium Immortaly. It's a trippy action/shmup roguelite with a lot of personality. There's plenty of stuff to unlock, some of which is puzzley in nature that you'll gradually work towards over multiple runs. Also alternate game modes and some challenging achievements if you're into that. It doesn't quite have the depth and strategy that something like Isaac has but it's super fun and weird and definitely worth a look. I've put in almost 50 hours into it already.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Started playing Shadow of Mordor a few days ago. After two hours I was ready to post here about how creatively bankrupt AAA games are and the exact number of yawns they induce in me, but I stuck with it. 25 hours later I have beaten the campaign and the first story DLC, and even gone back to round up more collectibles. Once you get into the groove it's very good. What strikes me the most is how it sort of fulfills the promise Assassin's Creed made all those years ago - play stealthily to get close to your target, strike very publicly and get away in the chaos that ensues. AC never fully made good on that promise, in fact it did the opposite over the course of the series as assassinations became more and more scripted and limiting. The whole thing in SoM where you learn your target's strengths and weaknesses, study the environment, devise a plan and try to execute it (and sometimes it goes wrong and you have to scramble) is exactly what AC should've been but wasn't.

The fact that you don't even have to do that and can choose to storm a stronghold through the front door makes it even better. I know the Nemesis system is what usually gets the accolades but even without it the many ways to confront and dispatch captains and warchiefs are great.

A good game, and happily it runs great even on my terrible i5-750 / 4GB RAM / GTX 660.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Monolith, maybe?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Just a heads up: a few months ago there was some talk in this thread (actually the previous one) about janky / difficult / obtuse games that are still worth playing - rough gems and such, like E.Y.E. or Two Worlds, etc. - and some interest shown in a dedicated thread. Gorn Myson was gonna post it but I don't think it ever happened so I went ahead and made one.

This being the de facto PC games thread I imagine there'll be some overlap, since most jank seems to reside on PC, but that's probably all right.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

I really really wish this game let me take notes on the map itself. Would that really make things so easy if I could leave myself reminders?

I haven't played Hollow Knight yet but I just generally wish this feature was included in more games. Off the top of my head I can only think of Morrowind that let you do it. I've played others that did but can't think of them at the moment, but it's not a lot in any case. It's so useful.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Any recommendations for games that could provide some decent stress relief? Essentially something easy, non-demanding and conflict-free that you can sink into for a couple of hours and have a pleasant, relaxing time. Ideally also solid and well-made from a technical / usability point of view cause I've been playing a lot of jank recently and could really use a game I don't have to do battle with as counterbalance. I also do not want too much dialogue from needy NPCs, if at all.

Looking at my library some examples are Proteus or LYNE (the daily challenges were my go-to post-workday unwinding exercise for months a few years ago, you can really zone out). I was thinking Stardew Valley but I'm unsure how much it makes you do X before the day/season ends or else your crops/finances are RUINED. I might get it anyway but I don't know if it fits this specific bill.

And now for the opposite: what's the closest thing on Steam to the old D&D Goldbox RPGs? I'm mostly looking for an overworld map with random encounters, a lightweight story/quest to keep you going, turn-based combat and some large, dark, dank dungeons to descend into and emerge out of all bloodied and bruised. Was thinking Bastard Bonds or Battle Brothers?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

It sounds like you don't want intensive puzzle games, but if you do then everything by Zachtronics (Shenzhen I/O, Infinifactory, etc) is fantastic.

Yeah I love Zachtronics but you're right that it's kind of the opposite of what I'm looking for at the moment, too much of a brain workout when I want to turn my brain off. When I was in peak SpaceChem mode I was literally dreaming about solutions (it even worked once and I got up to jot down the idea I had; next day it actually worked).

Anyway thanks for the suggestions everyone, some good stuff to look out for in the sale. Low Magic Age looks exactly like what I want for the Goldbox-like angle, if they pull off the campaign/adventure mode. I might snag it even in Early Access for the lower price.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Sitting around all day fishing in Stardew and listening to the in-game music is probably the most relaxed I've ever been playing a videogame. I even bought the soundtrack on vinyl cause Im a huge nerd and it makes me that happy.

Ah this sounds promising... If you can go off and just chill like that and not always be tending to crops/chores then it might well be what I'm looking for.

StrixNebulosa posted:

:cheers:

I say go for it, the arena combat mode is fun, plot or no plot - you can design your own characters, level 'em up, and take them through strings of encounters. Just pretend they're walking or traveling between fights or something. :D

Yeah I think I will, everything I've seen on the forums re: the future of the game looks promising and the reviews are already good. It was like $4 a month ago so hard to go wrong.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Played my first 3.5 hours of Stardew Valley and yes, I needed this game in my life. Right from the start it does a really good job of dangling all sorts of goodies in front of you. I mean I can plant pomegranate trees?? Yes I want that. But I also want that backpack upgrade, and it'd be nice to restore the museum collection, and I'm curious about that community center and the mines, but oh this looks like a nice fishing spot actually, I'll just do some fishing all day instead.

Why do I always wait so long to buy these widely acclaimed games? I could have been playing this all year. Still early days but I can't imagine not sinking at least 100 hours into this.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

While trawling the store I stumbled on something called 3030 Deathwar Redux and it looks kind of awesome. Has anyone played either the original 2007 version or this updated Redux release? Open-world topdown 2D space action that turns into an adventure game when you dock at stations. At 20% off it's still a bit too high for me at the moment but I basically instantly added it to my wishlist.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

I have played it, yes. It is sort of Escape Velocity, though with more lame nerd jokes (Crow from mst3k as a bartender). It's not really adventure game segments so much as just the way you visit a space station. They're all more or less the same, though with different people to talk to there.

On the other hand it was pretty fun? If you want a game where you shoot stuff in space and do trading and missions it is one of those.

Sounds good. I don't even know what mst3k is so hopefully most of the nerdy jokes will pass over my head like the memes in Guacamelee, a nice perk of my ignorance. I love and miss Escape Velocity and it consistently bums me out that Nova is not on Steam. I really ought to try Endless Sky some time.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx posted:

Unfortunately Arkane seems to be the only studio interested in 451 games so there aren't many games to look forward to.

To add to the 451 discussion, there's also Neon Struct which is pretty much cyberpunk Thief. It's indie and lo-fi, though, and kind of easy. But the first door code in the game is 0451 and like Gone Home it was made by a former Bioshock designer.

Meridian posted:

So this is my current cart, any other suggestions? Trying to pick up cool games I am missing that are under $5.

This is a good cart. Dark Scavenger and Straimium Immortaly are cool, cheap games that maybe you don't have.

And these look cool but I can't vouch for them yet... I'm going to buy them for sure, though. The Preposterous Awesomeness of Everything, Hylics, Qora, Omegaland.

edit: Knytt Underground is under five bucks and amazing.

edit2: Milkmaid of the Milky Way is the very definition of a lovely game.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 25, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Artelier posted:

Pardon, but what is a 451 game that's being referred to? Is it a genre or something that certain games reference?

It basically refers to so-called 'immersive sims', those games that are descendants of the Looking Glass legacy. Deus Ex, Dishonored, Bioshock, etc. LG's door code back in the 90s was 0451 and they put that in all their games and it's become kind of tradition to reference that in similar games over the years.

See here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147925

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Samuringa posted:

This is such a niche genre that I don't know if it'll be appreciated, but I'll recommend it anyway: I've recently gone through both A Normal Lost Phone and Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story and thought they were very interesting experiences.

These look cool, thanks.

I went into this sale hoping to put a dent in my wishlist and instead I keep adding things to it, and most of the things in my cart weren't even on it to begin with. :cripes:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I wonder if that's why it hasn't been put on sale in ages. I was all ready to finally buy it last two Steam sales but not for $20.

On the one hand, since I don't own a controller (yes I know) this gives me hope that the mouse and keyboard implementation will be better than the original release. On the other hand, my computer is old and slow and this "upscaled textures" thing has me worried I won't be able to run the remaster. I think I just about hit the minimum requirements for DS3 so maybe. I wish hardware prices went down a bit.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

My takeaway from this discussion is that I should not let my non-ownership of a controller hinder me from buying Dark Souls, even if the remaster does nothing to improve the control scheme on keyboard and mouse, and this owing to the fact that I can probably count the number of times I've actually used a controller in my life on one hand. Maybe there's even a decent chance I'd actually do worse with a controller considering how little experience I have with them.

Good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't quite understand that. You're saying Fallout 3 is better for exploration because it has unimportant locations with nothing in them? And New Vegas is worse because each individual area is important?

edit: One thing I liked about New Vegas is that each area has at least one piece of unique loot in it. This makes exploring worthwhile.

Irrespective of how the Fallout games do it, I wanted to go back to this because I actually think unimportant locations with nothing in them are good for worldbuilding and exploration since they ensure you don't know if and what you're going to find inside. In Morrowind when you're facing a door to some random cave it might be a tiny, empty place with a couple of bandits, or it might be a sprawling labyrinth that connects to some underground Daedric shrine or whatever. It might be part of a quest, or it might not be. There might be unique loot in there, and there might not be. You don't know, and that's exciting. If every location has unique loot or is part of a quest that, for me at least, takes away some of the mystery and sense of discovery, and it kind of reveals the 'design' behind the world you're exploring. In other words the cave's not there just cause it exists in the world, it's there because the designers want you to find that cool item they put in it.

I like when there are unremarkable locations for that reason.