Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Important information for the Steam Thread while it is new - you can pet dogs in Watch Dogs 2. Everybody around you in the game will stop to watch you and cheer while you do it too :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just finished Wolfenstein: New Order. It's a fun game if short, and the trailer for New Colossus makes a hell of a lot more sense to me now :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

I played TNO and the trailer for TNC confused the hell out of me since I was certain BJ died at the end of TNO. Did it play that way to you?

I don't know if they changed anything about the ending in a patch, but it certainly felt open-ended to me. While BJ does call for the nuke to be fired, you don't actually see it happen that I recall, and after the end credits are over you can clearly hear a helicopter, suggesting they might have come back for him.

Is The Old Blood a sequel/prequel/standalone?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Floodkiller posted:

Case in point from earlier in the game:

Haha, I laughed my rear end off every time that happened in the game. It happens A LOT! :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pierson posted:

Watch_Dogs 2 is extremely good and what W_D1 should basically have been if they wanted the series to be received well from the start but god drat I've gotten frustrated by guard-dogs being able to sniff me out and ruin my stealth. They're fuckin' dogs, how the hell do they know where a restricted area begins or ends?!

Little late, but I quickly discovered that upgrading to the police/gang hacks makes life an (entertaining) breeze and will take care of your dog problem for you. Instead of trying to sneak your way into a base, you just kick off a giant gang-war/get the police involved (or both if you're careful) and watch the chaos unfold then casually wander into the restricted area to just pick up whatever you were after.

Getting into GoogleNudle was hilarious because the horrified staff were just watching an endless stream of police running in and arresting their security officers one by one - sometimes you could just walk through the remote-locked door as they were leaving because the police can open any door in the game and they take a little while to close after them :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just finished playing through the original Dark Forces. It hasn't aged particularly well but it's very easy to control - sure you have to use separate keys to look up and down but for the most part you can just jump in and play with a keyboard and mouse.

Dark Forces 2 however is a huge pain in the rear end - you can move forward and back easily enough but left and right just turn you on your heel. Up and down and left and right on the mouse axis seem to work opposite to each other as well, so if one of them doesn't feel intuitive, inverting the controls makes the other feel unintuitive and I had to go into a file and edit it to fix it. Hardware acceleration lets you up your resolution but then the screen turns black, and turning it off gives you an image but you're stuck at a lower resolution.

I know it's an old game, but it's weird that the even older game that preceded it is able to be played just fine by simply loading it up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm asking this here because I don't feel like digging up an rear end creed thread. Rogue or Black Flag for my first Assassin's Creed? They seem like they might be fun. Are there any RPGish mechanics? Like say, as much as Horizon: ZD? I know they aren't pure RPG games

Black Flag rules, I never played Rogue because apparently it's mostly just a reskin of BF but you can't go wrong with BF.

I got burned out on the AssCreed series after the borefest that was 3, but Black Flag actually got me interested in it again because it was so much fun.

Of course then they made Unity..... :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh I didn't notice they said it was going to be their first ever AC. Yeah, play 2 first for sure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

I picked up Witcher 3 and all the trimmings since it was on sale this week, and I never finished my 50~ hour run at it on PS4, nor even looked at the two expansions.

I'm only like 90 minutes into this new save file, but loving hell was I living in the dark ages playing this game on a console. Holy moley, it looks and runs incredible on pc. It even feels as though it controls better, and I got to play it with Alternate on PS4.

One question: does the FOV look funky for anybody else in this game? When I'm using Witcher Sense, I even have trouble interacting with stuff directly in front of me. Is this a common complaint? I didn't see any FOV options in the settings, and I'm not even sure if I should go monkeying with it anyway.

Totally fine playing it with that minor quibble, though. It looks fantastic otherwise, though I did turn off hair physics before even starting my file since I know that would likely tank my frame rate.

If you've got an Nvidia card you can turn on Ansel with Alt-F2 and just play around with the camera and get some absolutely beautiful shots of the game. Outside of being probably the best game I've ever played, it looks beautiful and the world is incredibly well constructed. I love it when the wind kicks up and the grass and leaves and bushes etc sway and shift with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

why did you tell me about this cursed feature

Finally, a Doppler who is bad at their job!

Mutant Standard posted:

funny enough I'm jumping back into the Witcher 3 as well.

are there any new options or mods I should be turning on or installing? is all the DLC for the post-game?

I'm not joking when I say get the mod that adds scabbards to NPCs. It's such a tiny little thing but it really adds to the immersion somehow.

Xander77 posted:

2. I'm still unsure why I like Rome: Total War 1 so much, yet can't get into any of the other TW games. Anyways, spent forever going through the game and compiling a guide to playing as The Rebels, which is probably the hardest campaign in RTW, as the game doesn't really expect you to unlock and play that faction.

Man I loved RTW1 and it got my so psyched for RTW2 which was.... fine.... I guess. Something about it was just lacking though, in spite of all the obvious improvements, it lacked the fun that I found in RTW (and even more so in Medieval 2).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I wish I could play it again for the first time, it was such a good game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

I see Call of Juarez: Gunslinger with no playtime on that list. Fix that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtRNg5uSKQ0

Seriously, it's a great game and I was an idiot for not playing it sooner.

Dias posted:

You have Doom and you haven't played Doom. Go play Doom. Rip and tear.

Also find a way to play Doom too. Simultaneously if necessary.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

For all of the hullabaloo about how incredibly mean that game is to Lara (and it is), I feel like it is entirely made up for the moment you get the grenade launcher and suddenly *every last rear end in a top hat enemy is afraid to death of you*

The moments in the game where you realize that the various bad guys are in absolute terror of Lara are so well done. There's one scene later in the game in particular where they launch a giant raid on your camp while you're away, and have outflanked your buddies and are pushing in with overwhelming weapons and numbers superiority.... then they see Lara coming back and immediately they all get the gently caress out of there because they know she's gonna kill the poo poo out of them. :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

I will say that liberating the neighborhoods in Syndicate suuuuuuuuucks

A bit late but I just wanted to say playing as Evie and just beating the everloving poo poo out of the Templar Champion in a gang-war is pretty loving great :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've been playing the free copy of Watch_Dogs that Ubisoft gave away a little while back, and I gotta say it's giving me more appreciation for Watch_Dogs 2 because boy howdy is the protagonist a dipshit and the city remarkably dull.

That said, I got a good laugh out of doing a mission where you specifically break into a prison, kill a bunch of dudes and threaten a low-level gang member all to keep your identity a secret to protect your family... and then shortly after I'm driving in a car and over a radio I hear,"Police are having no luck finding the vigilante Aiden Pierce."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Excelzior posted:

of course

imagine liking PoE, hahahaha

I always think people are talking about Pillars of Eternity :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ulio posted:

So I just started playing Far Cry 3.

I have never played a game with such an amazing difference in the quality of the story and the quality of the gameplay. It is an incredibly fun game to play, and everything feels so intuitive and, once again, fun.

But holy gently caress the story is unbelievably bad. In that I still can't quite bring myself to believe that the story isn't something I just had a nightmare about or something. It's appallingly bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Somehow I was able to choke down the story in FC3 but I couldn't continue playing FC4 because I hated the story so much. Here are two horribly disgustingly awful people and I have to help one of them because apparently I am a robot who is completely incapable of making my own decisions. So after forcing me to pick one or the other to actually play the drat game it's all like 'oh ho ho, your choice was bad now don't YOU feel like an rear end in a top hat!'. :smuggo:

Yeah, 3 was batshit awful writing but also batshit insane which made it a lot of fun. 4 was just nasty and condescending while also not reaching the same insane heights of 3.

All that said, I am excited for 5 since the setting looks interesting and there is potential for more of the craziness of 3.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I take back anything bad I might have said about the otherwise quite enjoyable WatchDogs 2, because I just finished playing the free version of WatchDogs 1 that Ubisoft gave away a little while back and holy gently caress that is a dumpster fire of a bad story and a terrible protagonist (and worse antagonist) :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jamfrost posted:

Was it morbid curiosity? I stopped after a few hours.

Pure pigheadedness I think - I started it and I guess I just wanted to finish it, and maybe I kept hoping some of the charm that the sequel had would be present somewhere in there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Artelier posted:

For those that missed it, you can still get the Uplay games that were being given away for free here: https://freetrial.ubisoft.com/

Watch Dogs

It's NOT worth it. :sigh:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also, I really REALLY want to like AC4 and do piratey things but I am so loving sick of Assassin's Creed bullshit that I'm almost ready to stop playing. I have yet to get a ship or crew

I can fully appreciate how tedious the usual AC gameplay is, but seriously once you get your boat and the world opens up the game becomes absolutely fantastic to play.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

With this video posted it finally feels like Christmas :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God, Prey is so loving good. I know other people have said that many times, but I assumed they were lying as part of some complicated confidence scheme. Now I can confirm it really is a loving great game and everybody should buy and play it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kevin Palpatine posted:

i dunno, prey looks good but i'm not really sold on a game unless it has lootboxes and obnoxious collectables

You can hunt down e-mails and audio logs and also corpses! And get into shipping containers to find materials to build stuff with!

Quite seriously though, it's an absolutely fantastic, atmospheric game that just eats up the hours without you even realizing because you're so drawn into the game. It's amazing and I feel lovely that I didn't get it sooner and apparently it didn't sell all that well(?)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Deakul posted:

I was enjoying Prey for the most part, despite the awful combat, up until the introduction of the loving Nightmares.

I can't stand enemies that hunt you non-stop throughout a game when I'm barely surviving as it is! :cry:

I kept my recycler grenades in inventory SOLELY for that particular enemy. Throw one, let it do its thing, repeat 2-3 times and its health should be so severely impacted you can easily dispatch it with a pistol (especially if you have Combat Focus).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Another neat thing about the Nightmare is that it is essentially the alien's version of you - something bizarre and horrifying that comes out of nowhere with all these horrifying overpowered abilities. The in-game notes even point out that it was created solely for the purpose of dealing with you because you're such an anomaly compared to all the other squishy humans.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Justin_Brett posted:

They should have made it smaller then, I never fought the thing since you can just sit and wait for it to leave.

Well maybe if the Phantoms had hid under a desk and left ME alone they wouldn't be dead now :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My first one was in Crew Quarters, and I just cheesed it out of there and up into the movie theater. I ended up unloading everything I had while constantly stopping to stuff food into my face, and in my desperation of throwing everything I had at it, I realized how good the recycler grenades were. After that I pretty much had it handled whenever we met again.

I actually had more trouble with the Voltaic and Thermal Phantoms than anything else.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Reality Loser posted:

Any opinions on watch dogs 2 at 66% off? I heard it was actually fun, unlike the first game. And maybe the protagonist isnt a huge unloveable rear end in a top hat?

It's a fun and very stylish game, though it's kind of ironic that the big theme is about how evil and soulless giant corporations are when the game itself is made by Ubisoft. I'll tell you what though, I played it first and thought it was fun but flawed, then I played Watch_Dogs 1. By comparison to 1, 2 is a loving masterpiece.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always got the impression they were very much about being an assembly-line - creativity seems to largely be funneled into generic systems across their games in order to enable that annual release schedule, and the games often feel shallow or same-y as a result. Sure they're nowhere near as bad as EA but the "we're cool and laidback" thing really seems to be a corporate dictated PR thing to make them seem quirky, and Watch_Dogs 2 is a pretty good example of that.

Being good about annual leave and actually responding to HR concerns is a good thing for sure though, even if it is kind of depressing that this is considered unusual rather than standard.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

I recycled more recycler grenades than I used but they are also your general purpose damage grenade. When I did use them it was to clear big obstacles I couldn’t lift yet.

I saved them purely to use against the Nightmare - they made short work of what could otherwise be an aggravating enemy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I finished my third complete playthrough of Prey and now there isn't any more Prey to play :gonk:

Thank goodness I got Death of the Outsider in the Summer Sale as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hey I own that!

....when did I buy that?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

I hit a fail state in Watch Dogs where I had to bug bedbugs phone, except when I hacked him, he died seconds into the mission. I got around that by killing his spawned model (he has an outline) inside the house, through lots of explosions. It wasn't enough to use grenades, so IEDs covered the house, then they detonated.

I had this exact same problem happen to me when I played the game. I left it a day, tried again and it all worked fine. So in short...iunno? :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I know I'm super late to this party, but I finally got around to playing Prey and it's awesome. After a bit of time, I'm the one hunting them down and it's great.

I am so mad at myself for not playing it until this month. It's so great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/gokunaruto67/status/955961937384239104

Whoever this is, they are alllllllll riiiiiiiight

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

"Man, can you imagine when graphics look like that. It'll be like real-life."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3GD0UnBCk

This thing is burned into my brain, I watched it over and over again so many times :hellyeah:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Have you played Prey

Everybody play Prey!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Justin_Brett posted:

I got to the first Letho fight in Witcher 2. Is there any rhyme or reason to him just turning invincible whenever?

It can be a frustrating fight for sure, but part of the reason for the way it's handled is to hammer home the idea that Witchers don't survive by being the best swordsmen, but by being cheating fucks who use absolutely every dirty trick and cheap move they can in order to win/complete their contracts. Letho especially is a guy who will do everything he can to set up the situation so that any fight he has is to his advantage.

Doesn't change it from being really loving frustrating the first time you experience it though. There is a lot of satisfaction to have from setting up like 30 traps in advance and watching him trigger them all at once and lose 2/3rds of his health though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

Doom actually has a bit of clever writing too, though not nearly as much.

It is brought up all the time, but the section where the guy starts to carefully explain how to gently disable the power station or whatever is absolutely phenomenal :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that the demons have left around little histories which basically detail their reactions to DoomGuy as,"What the gently caress is this thing and why it is so goddamn terrifying? :gonk:"