Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Too Shy Guy posted:

Also since we're talking about roguelikes (and I hate the attempted distinction between rogue-lites and roguelikes yes I will fight you) did you guys know that both Delver and Darkwood are finally going to leave Early Access? Possibly as soon as next month?

Yeah right, I'll believe it when I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Yodzilla posted:

And terrible cutscenes artwork aside, Dust: An Elysian Tale is a good Metroidvania with great combat.

It was surprisingly good for a game where the main character is the dev's furry self-insert. Now if only he had hired a writer and some decent VAs...

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

He's dead

nachos posted:

What does shadowrun dragonfall do better to make it consistently recommended over HK?

Better pacing, more interesting characters, fewer bugs.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Ugh. I really wish Squeenix would do remasters with the same art style as the originals, I hate this ultra kawaii :keke: poo poo. At least it's not as bad as their mobile ports I guess.

Also, there's no gameplay in that trailer. Keep your pants on, people.

Cowcaster posted:

i comment not on its quality although i think it was legendarily buggy even for an square snes title, but on the fact it sold like 6 or 7 copies

It was tragically flawed. Great visuals and soundtrack, more responsive combat than Mana, plus they got rid of spell grinding and 20 second charge attacks. But the level design was loving awful. Jungle maze, desert teleporter maze, cave maze, multiple literal sewer levels, HUGE castle maze, limited visibility teleporter maze, pyramid maze... you get the idea.

As for "legendarily buggy", it had a hilarious stat overflow bug that let you get godlike stats early in the game.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean Secret of Mana had a pretty cute art style so I'm not sure what you mean

I was hoping for something more like Stardew Valley. I actually kind of liked the subdued-due-to-technical-limitations anime schmaltz in the original SoM and SD3, but Square's recent remakes crank the :nyoron: up to 11 and I find it repulsive.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Wildtortilla posted:

Speaking of Dragonfall, I spent a bit of time with it yesterday after finishing BG and wanting a short deviation before diving into SOD, and I am having trouble enjoying it. I am crippled by character creation because I don't know what any skills really do. I'm also not sure how companions work - do I have to outfit them with gear and distribute skill points or does the game handle that between missions? So far the first mission felt like a boring version of XCOM. Any advice or suggestions about builds? I am thinking about making a Decker/Rigger combo so hack computers and use drones.

Companions automatically re-stock their consumables every mission, buy themselves new gear, and allocate their skill points. You can put items in their spare slots, but you can't change their base equipment. 5 (or 6?) times during the game, you can choose a bonus that gives them a new ability, piece of gear, or weapon.

Be warned that the inventory system has a very stupid and arbitrary limitation: you can't make your companions pick up items or swap items with them during missions.

One of the possible companions in the game is a decker/rigger, but he sucks, so by all means be one yourself and tell him to gently caress off. As for builds, you get enough skill points to be good at 2 things, and 1 of them had better be combat-related. You don't have to min-max, but don't put more than a few points in your non-focus skills. I'd also recommend putting some points in charisma for the extra conversation options.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

FanaticalMilk posted:

His problem is that's what he sees himself as.

I think this is it. He could travel the world in obscene opulence, build a Bond villain lair on a private island, or even just do coke and gently caress gold diggers all day. Instead, he stews in his misery and trolls on Twitter.

The only reasonable explanation I can come up with is that he has a major depressive disorder.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't disagree with you, but nothing about the first mission and subsequent running around a lovely town was interesting to me. I don't like the way the interface feels either. The entire thing feels half-assed to me, much like my attempt to enjoy the game.

Admittedly, the combat is mediocre at best, the interface sucks, and the opening mission sucks as well. The plot, characters, and quest design are where the SR games really shine, but you have to get over that initial bump before things start heating up.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

StrixNebulosa posted:

... When did Nintendo let up on the strict censorship and aggressive control of what games could be on their consoles?

IIRC, they started loosening up around 1993-94, when the censored SNES version of Mortal Kombat bombed and the uncensored Genesis version sold like hotcakes. SNES MK2 had blood and fatalities. Then the ESRB rating system went into effect at the end of 1994, and Nintendo announced that they were dropping their internal censorship standards because they were obsolete.

Ragequit posted:

Some Steam games can run independent of the client, like Caves of Qud and (I think?) Dungeonmans. I am sure there are way more examples, but I have personally put Caves of Qud on a flash drive to play on the go before.

Most indies and a smattering of non-indies can do that, here's a list: http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Oxxidation posted:

I'm trying the Lisa fangame and it's a little annoying because whoever made this seems to really get Lisa but is also one of those horrible people who thinks RPG difficulty romhacks are the bee's knees. This difficulty is bananas.

Which one, Pointless or Hopeful?

In either case, you could consider the unfair difficulty to be part of the metanarrative. :chord:

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

explosivo posted:

Mashinky - This looks like a 3D TTD, and judging by the comments it's not terrible? Anyone try this and able to report in on it? Cuz I looove me some TTD and wouldn't mind a new one!

Looks like a mashup of TTD and Railroad Tycoon 3. Could be extremely cool if done right, but it's EA and $25. :smugjones:

I'm gonna wishlist it and let it stew for a few months at least.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Also it'll look like poo poo if it follows the upcoming prequel's aesthetics, which if they are working with Stardock it is likely to.

Congratulations, you look worse than a 25 year old game. Still, tentatively excited the original guys are working on this one, so weird that Star Control 2 never got a sequel!

The game Ford and Reiche are working on is entirely separate from the game Stardock is making.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/11/star-control-ii-devs-finally-making-sequel/

C'mon guys, don't gently caress this up :pray:

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Grapplejack posted:

So I'm enjoying Mankind Divided but lol does it have some problems.

The lip sync is completely off, I've run into an untranslated French email, and I'm not super happy with their decision to only let you pick one of the story arcs to complete in Prague at the end of (assumedly) act 2. I do really like the universe and I love how the game is basically letting you see Bob Page and Meghan gently caress everything up and set the original Deus Ex into motion, but it's really spotty.

The French e-mail is probably deliberate, HR had a few of those that were inside jokes by the devs. :quebec:

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Morter posted:

A Ptolemeeaboo

Sumeraboo? Spartaboo?

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

I'm another one of those weirdos who liked Dead Money the most, in spite of its foibles. But F:NV really wasn't the right choice of engine for something like that. It would have worked a lot better as an FPS, like as a mod for STALKER or something similar.

RBA Starblade posted:

Lonesome Road really needed a dialogue option where you explain to Ulysses what couriers actually are.

My thoughts exactly. I was like "Really, Ulysses? That's why you're mad at me?"

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Trickyblackjack posted:

Hello

Does anyone have any experience regarding moving to a different country and how that affects your ability to make purchases on Steam?

I've moved from the US to Canada a couple years ago, and now I'll soon be moving to Germany. In Canada, I kept using the US storefront tied to my US billing address without any issues. Will I be able to do the same in Germany or do I have to switch? I ask mainly because I hear prices in the EU are considerably higher, so for Steam purchases I'd rather keep using the US store.

I've been using a Canadian CC and CAD from Sweden for months without any problems.

Trickyblackjack posted:

Also, do I need to notify Steam support about the move so my account doesn't get locked or something for what could be seen as suspicious activity?

Nope.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

il_cornuto posted:

Lisa it is, thanks.

You've made the right choice. Just make sure you're prepared to confront the uglier side of the human condition.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Jesus. loving. Christ.

Playing Darkwood right before bedtime with headphones on was a really bad idea. That's probably the scariest thing I've experienced in years - and I mean, I avoid horror stuff because I know how easily scared I get, and yet I somehow thought I could handle this game.

And now I have to take my dog out for a walk. :ohdear:

(Which is to say, if you want to be terrified, get Darkwood! I played through the prologue and that was the most effectively scary tutorial I've ever seen. God help me if I had been in the dark...)

I'm halfway through Darkwood myself, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Basically one part STALKER and one part This War Of Mine. The writing and audio are excellent, too.

It's definitely not for people who can't take the pressure, though.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Azran posted:

(and Gloomhaven straight up leaves every other dungeon crawler in the dust).

Assuming you can find it for sale for less than like $250 :argh:

Maybe somebody will port it to Tabletop Simulator soon.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Kly posted:

wait is installing a new video card not just plugging it in and downloading the drivers?

Not always. One time I put a gaming card in a Dell shitbox and it wouldn't boot past the POST screen. Updating the BIOS fixed it.

Accordion Man posted:

Star Ocean 4 was pretty much everything wrong with JRPGs last decade.

Going on 2 decades, more like.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

DX:HR was viewed pretty positively. Sure, it has a few glaring problems (boss fights, bizarre animations during conversations, and a terrible final level), but they were all transient. The core elements (level design, combat, art, music, and writing) ranged from decent to excellent, generally tending towards the latter. The Missing Link DLC kept up the gameplay quality and addressed the boss fight issue quite well, though story-wise it was a really bad shoehorning attempt. Like someone upthread said, it was a breath of fresh air in a genre that had been increasingly dumbed down by DX:IW and the Bioshock series.

But it came out 6 years ago and I don't think it has aged very well. The combat is pretty creaky by modern standards, and Dishonored (and now Prey) one-upped it in pretty much every category. It doesn't look so good compared to its competition any more.

Ulio posted:

:words: Alpha Protocol :words:

Also the mini games to hack/break locks are incredibly hard. I don't know if this was affected by the hard difficulty setting or just in general.

Yeah, they were designed for twin sticks on a console, and the transition to PC broke them, especially on higher difficulty levels. AP is one of those games that's best on Easy difficulty, because it takes the edge off the bad gameplay while still letting you experience the incredibly good story/choice/conversation system.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Hollenhammer posted:

I'm on day 3 or 4 and I'm not too sure where I should be focusing my attention. I know I'm far too weak to venture out where wolfman told me to go but I've explored pretty much everywhere around my house. There was a knock and I think I'm holed up in the wrong room to be able to answer the door, too

I think the best thing to do is explore all of the starting area, find loot, and focus on workbench upgrades. Once you have a stack of molotovs and a lantern, check out the underground passage, then head over to Wolfie's camp in the 2nd area.

Use furniture to augment the barricades in your hideout if you're not doing that already.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

I'm very pleased with the train game resurgence happening right now :spergin::fh:

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

il_cornuto posted:

Properly finished Undertale. I love how pretty much everything is happy if you wander around right at the end - the mice at the save points get their cheese, the mushroom guy with the Temmies gets transplanted to the surface, the dog in the bar wins a game of poker against himself. Toriel's texts were great too.The game wrapped up really nicely, and I'm left feeling like it might actually be the best intertwining of game mechanics and story I've ever seen. It's absolutely a story that couldn't be told in any other medium.

Good, good. You know what you have to do now. :unsmigghh:

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Non-graphical code dependent on a locked framerate :cripes:

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Chin Strap posted:

I really really wish this game let me take notes on the map itself. Would that really make things so easy if I could leave myself reminders?

Glare Seethe posted:

I haven't played Hollow Knight yet but I just generally wish this feature was included in more games. Off the top of my head I can only think of Morrowind that let you do it. I've played others that did but can't think of them at the moment, but it's not a lot in any case. It's so useful.

Aquaria let you do that. It's a fantastic feature, and it really annoys me that it never caught on, especially in metroidvanias of all games.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

corn in the bible posted:

I actually tried to play Battlefield Hardline nonlethally and only used force in self defense to see what would happen. Turns out they still call you a ROGUE COP WHO KILLS PEOPLE regardless

One time I played an entire game of Test Drive 2 driving under the speed limit to see if you still get arrested at the end (you do).

~ludonarrative dissonance~

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Jack Trades posted:

I'll look into that, thanks.

I also want to mention GRIP and Distance which are both really good arcadey racing games with good soundtracks and interesting gameplay twists.
Both of them are still in EA though.

I was going to link to Distance and say "hope u like synthwave", but :agreed:

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

signalnoise posted:

There's a different tag for that though

WHEN

WHEN DID I DO THIS AND HOW DO I GET RID OF IT

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS

I know, right? You play one loving Shantae game and suddenly your queue is full of anime tits.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Too Shy Guy posted:

It’s honestly distressing how much potential is lost here, especially in light of the game’s magnificent aesthetic. The hand-drawn pixel art is incredibly detailed and lovingly animated, which gives the entire world so much depth and character. There’s clearly a lot of thought put into the strange creatures and mysterious ruins you’ll come across, which makes it all the more frustrating that the story and gameplay can’t keep up. Owlboy feels like a trap, a game made to look warm and inviting that then slaps you around and ridicules you once you buy in. That awful intro set the stage for the further frustrations suffered throughout the game, and no amount of pretty art can make up for such offenses.

You philistines just don't know a masterpiece of meta-tragedy when you see one :chord:

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Shaking lemur butt posted:

Does Pillars of Eternity get any more interesting? I've gotten to the (first) big city that's divided into different map sections. I have the stronghold and have done some refurbishing on it.
I used to love Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, and NWN. As far as I can tell this game should be right up my alley, but for some reason I just can't build up much of an interest in playing it.

I can't quite tell if it's just this game, or if it's Infinity Engine-style games that I don't have enough patience for anymore (which would suck seeing as BGEE, BG2EE, and PTEE are all in my backlog).
Does it get any better, or will I perpetually long for Original Sin 2 if I try to get through it?

Nope. A lot of old-timey RPG fans (myself included) found Pillars really dry, stuffy, and generic.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Kevin Palpatine posted:

mods, pls punish appropriately

He's not wrong though. Spector's involvement is a pretty big red flag, he's basically on the same level as Peter Molyneux and Tim Schafer.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Well now, let's have a look at what games Spector has directed in the last 17 years:

- Deus Ex: Invisible War (ugh)
- Thief: Deadly Shadows (flashes of brilliance, but otherwise meh)
- Epic Mickey (uuugh)
- Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (there was a sequel? Huh.)

So he made some fantastic games long ago, but his latest (but granted not-so-recent) stuff has been a lot of disappointment and wasted potential. So why is a comparison to Molyneux and Schafer so ill taken?

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

man nurse posted:

I’m gonna buy chrono trigger when I get home and you cannot stop me

I hope you mean you're buying the SNES or DS cart on eBay :toughguy:

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Anyone have impressions of Northgard? I just saw that it left Early Access.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Railroad Tycoon Collection is a bundle for Sid Meier's Railroads, and Railroad Tycoon 2+3[/url] for 3.74$

I have no idea if these games are any good, but the reviews seem decent and hell, why not.

RT3 is good, but it doesn't run on any Windows newer than XP.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

That's a big fundamental problem with online matchmaking. Without a steady stream of noobs to match against each other, the community becomes highly skilled and insular, new players get stomped on or scared off by the skill curve, and the community slowly dies by attrition.

As with so many other things in life, the solution is to git gud.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Still a crime that of all the Front Missions to put on Steam they go with the bad not-Armored Core instead of any of the others (even the kinda neat platformer would have been better, though knowing SE you'd still want to wait for a good sale on it).

I wish Squeenix would let me pay $30 for a re-release of FM1 with ultra-kawaii redrawn portraits, 2xSAI filtered graphics, and lovely audio quality :(

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Jamfrost posted:

Banished didn't have enough complexity to it to keep on generating interesting problems to solve. Still fun for what I played, but not as much staying power as other games.

Agreed 100% on this, it's a nice little town building game but it gets very boring once you're out of the "survival" phase.

The Colonial Charter megamod helps a lot with this. It adds a bunch of those development "mini-goals" by way of a fuckton of new materials, food, and buildings, and getting up to the higher tiers of buildings and products takes a much bigger supply chain. Like, to build the fanciest houses, you need hardwood foresters, sand collectors, glasers, clay diggers and brick makers, furniture makers, etc.

spincube posted:

Banished's biggest problem was handling its own quirks: like how, in order to become parents, your people need an empty house to move into and call their own. Sounds fine on paper, but it means you're forever surfing a wave where you have to keep building housing - can't have more than two generations under one roof - plus in a few months there's going to be a huge population downturn as the older generation start dying all at once anyway. Then you have weird poo poo like a 7-year-old and a 5-year-old being left in a house which nobody else can move into.

I love Banished, and respect it as a one-man achievement, but it's not quite joined-up in its thinking.

Yeah, the population oscillations were annoying. You can get mods so citizens age slower than the default 5x real time, which helps a bit, but then you get the problem of having to wait longer for growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Since the Endless games are on the Humble sale right now, I figured I'd ask this here: are there any tips or guides out there that describe how you're supposed to build your military in Endless Legend? I feel like in games like Civilization it's really easy to see enemy army strength and makeup at a glance, which makes it easy to figure out what units you should be building and how many of them. But in Endless Legend, every faction has different units, and those units all have equipment and different abilities, and heroes can show up out of the blue, which makes it basically impossible to know what you're up against and how you should respond without delving into a bunch of numbers and watching enemy composition like a hawk.

I've tried EL a few times (and Space 1 had similar problems) but I keep bouncing off of it because the military game is so hard to follow. It's a really pretty game though and I want to like it. What should I do?

Unit strength is stat-driven, so unfortunately you do need to pay attention to the stats. Particularly HP, attack, defense, initiative (determines turn order), special abilities like flying, etc. One thing that makes it easier is every unit conforms to an archetype (melee, ranged, or support).

But if you want to make things easier, play as the Wild Walkers and spam longbows.