Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I know this is a little vague, but I finally got a better laptop. My old laptop could not run games like XCOM 2, Wolfenstein: The New Order, The Witness or Shadow of Mordor. My new laptop can, on low settings, but nothing more intensive than those games - no DOOM or Prey for example. Is there anything really good that I probably couldn't play before but probably can now? Those are enough to be getting on with but I'd like to update my wishlist.

Also, Hollow Knight's controls felt a little sloppy on my old laptop, tried it again on my new laptop and they feel really smooth. So I think for people who are finding the controls sluggish, it might just be a weird performance issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

AfricanBootyShine posted:

The Witcher 3. It ran decently when I still had my 7700 (which is basically a 5750 IIRC).

vv the first (2014?) one, the sequel wound up being unplayable in the final areas for me.

I'd love to play Witcher 3 but I really doubt my laptop will handle it. I'd rather wait until I can afford a decent desktop and have it looking pretty. I've already played both Tomb Raiders on xbox. Thanks for the suggestions though.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

GreenNight posted:

3 Lego games for $10

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/promotions/lego-pick-mix

What 3 is a good pick? I don't give a poo poo about coop.

IMO, Batman 2, Marvel Super Heroes and Lord of the Rings. I've heard less than great things about Avengers and Batman 3 but haven't played them myself so maybe wait for someone who has to chime in.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Just picked up The End Is Nigh and played it for an hour. So far, it's really good, clear similarities to Super Meat Boy in how it controls and the level design but still very much it's own game with more emphasis on searching for secrets and interconnected levels. Getting some of the tumours has been a little tough but the only really hard section I've found so far was a bonus area I opened when I got enough tumours, though that was on par with late game Meat Boy stuff. The music is good too, not quite as good as SMB or the original Binding of Isaac but better than Rebirth/Afterbirth for sure. Overall I'd say it's easy to recommend to SMB fans based on the first couple of areas.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Seconded, I'm 7 hours in and it might just be the best metroidvania on Steam. It has a ton of personality too.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

Maybe it's just me. I'm a huge fan of Metroidvanias and all that. But with Hollow Knight I am completely lost. I just got the first spell, and I don't know where the hell to go. Am I always going to have the nail as a primary weapon?

Honestly, getting lost and finding your way back is part of the appeal of Hollow Knight for me and I feel like that's intentional - one of the first NPC's you speak to talks about it. It has a lot more emphasis on exploring and finding your own way than a lot of Metroidvania's, especially since there's no objective markers.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I've played a couple more hours of The End is Nigh and it's already gone down in my estimation slightly. I still like it, and would recommend it to anyone who wants more Super Meat Boy style platforming, but there are some definite flaws. The way checkpointing works is a little weird and in some cases where levels are connected vertically you can end up having to redo whole levels because you fell in the wrong place - not to mention the lack of level select means you'll have to redo whole worlds if you want to go back through for collectibles. There's a large emphasis on collectible hunting, which is fun, but the rewards are sets of hard levels that, based on the 3 sets I've unlocked, are certainly hard but not actually that interesting - basically warp zones from SMB. Allowing you to pick which world to do next after the first couple is a fine idea, but since switching worlds means you'll have to do the whole thing again to get back to where you are it's a little pointless. Finally, a few of the tumours basically just require you to loop round and do the level twice, which is lazy and not really fun.

On the other hand, the controls still feel fantastic, the level design is mostly good with some cool challenges, and I like most of the gimmicks so far. Nailing a tricky section feels as good as ever, and figuring out how to get to secrets is attainable while still giving a sense of accomplishment. The soundtrack, made up of video gamey versions of classical pieces, sets the mood nicely.

In the end, I feel like it doesn't quite hit the mark, and the focus on exploration does work directly against the equal focus on hardcore platforming at times. It's still a solid game and platforming fans should find enough to keep them happy, but be aware your tolerance for frustration will need to be a touch higher than for SMB.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

SinineSiil posted:

How much main story do I have left in GTA V if I just did the mission where I robbed a small bank with minigun and escaped via train? It's such a slog of a game.

You're somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 the way through IIRC. I enjoyed GTA V but honestly if you're finding it a slog now it's not going to improve for you, the story doesn't turn up anything particularly exciting between where you are and the end of the game.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

This game has a terrible main story, and too many fetch quests BUT surprisingly fun combat that feels like a proper third person action game, fairly decent skill trees and some pretty cool lore in the side quests (the games version of elves are actually really interesting). I also like that fact that going mage means fighting with magical chakrams or basically fantasy guns instead of standing still and throwing spells.

If you get it though, don't use your special attack that grants more experience and only do side quests that sound interesting, otherwise you'll end up overlevelled and the most fun part - the combat - will become too easy.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

I like exploring video game worlds. I like metroidvania games. I like hard games. I cannot get into La Mulana. I've tried 3 times and I bounce off it hard every time. Nothing about it feels good to me from the combat to the movement to the music. I wish I could get into it because on paper it should be one of my favorite games, but in practice is a boring turd. :(

Honestly I don't think you're missing much, and I played until fairly near the end. Some of the puzzles are cool, but a lot of them are just obtuse. I really like the idea of La Mulana, and if La Mulana 2 has better puzzle design it could be fantastic, but the first game is fairly overrated IMO. I think a lot of it is because it does things most games don't do anymore - unguided exploration and hard puzzles - but it doesn't do them particularly well.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Hollow Knight handles exploration in way that is absolutely perfect for me but I can see why other people might not like it. Being able to enjoy not knowing where to go next and just heading into the unknown is pretty important. I actually really like only getting a partial map and filling the rest in by exploring too.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Sonic & All Stars Racing Transform made me laugh on the audio options menu (turning the announcer volume up or down has him complain or congratulate you) so I can believe it.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I like Diablo-likes for that - Victor Vran, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile. Stardew Valley would probably be good too.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Borderlands is one of those series where 2 is enough of an improvement over 1 that I can't imagine going back.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Would you recommend West of Loathing for someone who hasn't played KoL for years and even then only a bit?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Great, I have good enough memories of KoL's humour to wishlist that then.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Someone talk me into or out of buying Dex while it's on offer please.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Good Sonics: All Stars Racing Transformed, Mean Bean Machine, Chao gardens
Bad: rest of 'em

Sonic Generations is actually good too

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Sonic Spinball is the Dark Souls of pinball games

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Speaking of ARPGs, I'm enjoying Grim Dawn but is it normal to keep the same weapons for half the game? I got some insect blade things ages ago and they've easily outclassed everything else, unless I'm reading the stats wrong somehow. My equipment in general isn't changing that much. Still fun though.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Zaphiel posted:

Good review of a cool sounding game.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, it sounds fun so I've wishlisted it.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Same, in fact the main reason I'll buy from Steam is if I think there's a chance I'll want to refund it, since Steam makes it nice and easy.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I actually think the DMC reboot is ok but holy poo poo DMC 4 is a far far better game, it's not just a purist thing.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Symphonia is the only Tales game I've actually enjoyed but I think that's because I played it as a teenager and my tastes changed.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Appoda posted:

Are there any other notable/good RPGs on steam that are lesser known? Every now and then I get the urge to jump down the jRPG rabbit hole, even if I rarely come out liking them in the end.

I never beat Last Odyssey because some of the characters and cutscenes were too annoying to me, but it has a decent battle system, doesn't even allow grinding and some aspects of the story are really good. I know some people liked it.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

kater posted:

Are you guys talking about lost odyssey or is there another game that randomly features annoying children. Also I don't think it is on pc?

Huh you're right, sorry. I really thought it was on PC for some reason.

The 2 kids were exactly what made me stop playing too, though, so if that many people had the same problem maybe it's not worth playing anyway.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Phantom Pain was amazing for about 50 hours then I suddenly lost all interest in playing more and I don't really know why. It wasn't the usual tapering off or feeling like I'd done enough/completed everything I wanted to, I just couldn't muster any enthusiasm to continue one day.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

i would have turned it off when that flying whale showed up.
I would have killed for more flying whale, and more weird story in general, but then I'm a big fan of the MGS series.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I still can't believe they remade Flashback and it turned out so bad. I would have loved an actually good remake.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

She's reading Big Guns magazine

get it

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Alien: Isolation is great if you don't already have it. Goes on a little too long but it's the only game that's really creeped me out in quite a while.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

People who applied for a free Paradox game during the price change thing should check their emails, I just got my free copy of EU4. Can someone remind me which DLC I should wishlist first?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

Art of War. It's all but necessary to play. Common Sense is growing ever more relevant, too.

Thanks, I knew one of them was considered essential.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Why is that man so angry at the microphone?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

Oblivion ... Still my favorite TES game.

Wait what

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Given that D4 is probably never going to finished, is it worth playing through what there is or is it pointless without an ending?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I can't decide if I'm enjoying Shadow Warrior 2013 or not. On the one hand, slashing demons up is pretty fun, the upgrade system is decent and the environments are pretty. On the other hand the two guns I've found so far feel really weak, as does the tiger roar power I got, and there's something unsatisfying about the combat in general. I recently played Bioshock Infinite and while I'm sure this will make some people very upset, I kind of feel like it did similar combat - chaotic, lots of movement and mixing melee, shooting and powers together - a lot better. If nothing else the guns and powers felt much more satisfying. I'll stick with it for a while but I'm underwhelmed so far. It might also be because I'm also playing Wolfenstein: The Old Blood and the gunplay in that game is fantastic.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

If you liked the tone and story and humor and music of Deadly Premonition then absolutely go for it, even if the story ending comes out of nowhere it's a pretty fun ride while it lasts and if DP was anything to go by (where the murderer literally had a license plate that read HESTHE1 and you could find tons of clues around his house and office) you'll probably figure out the broad strokes of the rest of the story on your own anyways. The pacing is pretty similar to it too, if you're expecting a Telltale style game where you power from plot point to plot point while making choices that effect the narrative you'll blast through in a few hours and probably be underwhelmed, but if you take your time and go back and forth between the two areas that make up most of the game you'll find tons of hidden secrets and side quests and character moments and lots of content to explore. The QTEs are also way better than most anything out there because they're based on broad, simple mouse gestures and there's a lot of room for error.

I loved Deadly Premonition so that all sounds great, thanks.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Earthbound had copy protection that let you play 99% of the game? There are games where I never even bother to do the final part.

It also ramps up the number of random encounters you face, which even in a game with good combat is really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I pirate the Steam experience by just writing down names of games in a notebook and saying to myself "drat another great game added to my inventory, I'll get around to clearing this backlog some day"

This is good but how do you simulate installing a game and then later uninstalling it to free up space without having put more than 5 minutes into it?