Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jamfrost posted:

I don't get it. Is there a meta-narrative with the supernatural stuff with Far Cry. I thought Brotherhood was about crazy fanatics. Or did I misread?

Also, the thread's new car smell is already gone. :smith:

What exactly is Far Cry: Brotherhood? I assumed it was some DLC pack but I can't find anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Does the new Batman ep run better than the last season? I enjoyed season 1, but having to change my desktop resolution to load it was mega dumb.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hellblade is really reminding me of Ryse*, but done right. It's a pretty unashamed graphical/tech demo, but with pretty great writing and excellent art design.

Senua is probably the best performance I've ever seen in a videogame character. It's next level mocap and facial capture. It's pretty goddamn spooky. I guess the game can really crank the graphics as it's on rails though.

*I kinda liked Ryse as far as pretty but mindless games go

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 12, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

The only thing I know about enslaved is in the post mortem for the game, there was a writer asking why the hell the lead character was such an rear end in a top hat and the designers being surprised because they thought kicking slaves to death was him being a badass.

It's not a post mortem. The game's writer, Alex Garland, saw some preproduction cutscenes and said they really needed to change this if they didn't want their lead to be an rear end in a top hat.

There's no slave kicking in the game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Well I was enjoying Hellblade until I got hit by the save ruining torch bug. Wait for a patch before buying imo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I got Warhammer Man O'War Corsair. Is it any good?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So basically Valve is a gravy train for long term employees who get paid eye-watering amounts to gently caress around and produce nothing. And they're terrified of someone new ruining that.

I mean, I can't really blame them if they've got the opportunity, but it's a bit sad.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Adding my praise to the Hellblade chorus - the game rules rules rules.

Also, is there a dedicated Crusader Kings 2 thread about? I've searched and can't find it. Decided to properly, finally learn how to play... and it is not an easy ride for newbies. Resigning myself to loving around and learning from failing at the moment.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cheers! Was searching for Crusader Kings "2" by mistake.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Steam Randomizer got me loading up brainless shooter Renegade Ops which for some reason stars Gordon Freeman?!

The real HL3 was in my library this whole time?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Random question - I've got a load of non-Steam games in my library that I've manually created shortcuts for. If I get a new PC will those non-Steam game library entries show up on another system?

I don't really care about the actual game data and I can fix any broken shortcuts when I need to, but it'd be nice to keep the library list the same.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

credburn posted:

The Steam library is stored on the cloud; as for your custom shortcuts, those are stored locally. I'm not sure where, but I'm pretty sure it's called something like shortcuts.xml and can just be copied over. Steam makes backups of this file, too; occasionally, after an update, it will replace the shortcuts with a new one and erase all the custom ones.

Ta, found it. It's a file called shortcuts.vdf in Steam/userdata/*account number*/config, which appears to just contain all the custom shortcuts I've set up. I'll back that up.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'd be very, very nervous if I considered myself 'saved' by Yoko Taro. That guy hates happy endings more than anything.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

on the first mission there's the witness at the jewelry store that got robbed who's like "i don't know i didn't see him" and i was thinking like "lady you were in the store the whole time i'm sure you saw something you aren't telling the truth" and chose doubt

cole was like you stupid lying bitch i should drag you down to the station and let you rot for a few hours and then we'll see who remembers seeing what

Honestly, stuff like this was the highlight of the game for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rNV61Rpo-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cib-Mlqz3ZU

Felt like a Bad Lieutenant simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WvwXljG2ww

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If we're talking Bioshock (again), is there any consensus on which version of Bioshock 2 is best to play? Heard a load of bad stuff about the remaster.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rookersh posted:

Note, this is the guy Zynga hired to slow down it's lovely moneitization, and he did a pretty ok job of righting the on fire ship. He's not the guy that got Zynga into being monetize nonsense.

But drat, have you seen Telltale's sales figures lately? The new season of Batman is currently at 20K Steam sales while the spin-off season of Life is Strange is on about 250k.

Telltale are pretty much dead in the water and they've overpromised big time to their many, many licensees.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sivek posted:

so Konami is releasing Zone of the Enders 2 on PC and VR in spring of 2018

that was unexpected

Wait what?

Hope we get a MGS collection Steam release one day.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DatonKallandor posted:

Consortium is pretty awesome. James Bond in Iron Man power armor is a great player character, especially since you're not playing him, you're playing yourself taking over his body with no information about the universe. There's lots of fun dialogue and you can even do a Gordon Freeman run ("..." is an option for every dialogue and you can also just let the response window time out) and see what would happen with a silent protagonist. Some wonderful fuckery ensues because certain characters know or might know that you're actually playing a game from a different reality, and one of them can even override what your character says against your will. It gets very meta quickly - at one point one of the characters hears the game's soundtrack playing and recognizes it as video game music because it's jeremy soule. The murder mystery is also quite good and meshes well with the pseudo-time travel you get from playing the same day over and over.

Hopefully The Tower Prophecy continues the branching and meta stuff.

I love it when you hear about a cool sounding game and go check it out on the Steam store, only to realise you already own it somehow.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Didn't realise I already owned Outlast, so here's a key for anyone too lazy to use the HB offer:

The ? is an H - ?4PEM-KZI69-6F6VN

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm playing Tomb Raider II on Steam and running into all kinds of difficulties, but I think I've mostly wrestled it into a playable and alright looking state.

The one thing I can't work out is how to get an X360 controller working with it. TR2 is dinput only and as it's a Windows 95 game you can't fudge it through DOSbox. I've set up Joy2Key (my usual workaround), but while it's definitely working (the pad buttons type the keys in Notepad), it won't work when I actually load the game.

Does anyone know if there's programme that'll emulate dinput from an X360 controller, or why Joy2Key won't work with this game?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've got that loving Doki Doki song looping nonstop in my head.

Thanks a lot assholes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just play Witcher 3 completely vanilla. Nearly all of the stuff people mod out is in the game for a good reason. It's great as it is.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Weight limits are legitimately awful, though.

Why? You just end up with a jumbled inventory with like 60 swords cluttering up the place if you disable it. Weight limits force you to think about what you're carrying around and sell what you don't need.

And it's not like stuff you actually want to have on you like alchemy ingredients or key items weigh anything.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dias posted:

(always mod for unlimited inventory/weight cap, increased run speed or unlimited stamina and quest markers)

Better chuck in god mode too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

Back to the Future is good though. The gameplay is kind of meh but they captured the spirit of the series super well.

Sam and Max and Strong Bad are both great as well.

I'm playing through Back to the Future now and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it. You're right, they really nailed the tone and the voice acting is amazing.

Christopher Lloyd as 'Citizen Brown' in EP 3 is the best vo I've heard in aaages.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Randler posted:

Is Mordheim: City of the Damned a good game for its current :tenbux: price?

The Steam reviews tend positive, but I think I remember that game not being that well-received and the amount of DLC makes me suspicious.

It's terrible.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Didn't Telltale move to a new engine with Batman? Naturally, it was a buggy piece of poo poo that ran terribly, but it was new!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vanilla Doom rules. Brutal Doom rules. Doom 2016 rules.

Can't we all just get along?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hey cool, Street Fighter Collection is coming to Steam. Maybe this will actually be the last time I buy SFII and its variants.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Qylvaran posted:

Ugh. I bought a Sonic bundle a while back, and Generations does this (probably other ones too, I just haven't gotten to them yet). No sensible defaults set for my DS4 pad, and if I remember right, I couldn't even figure out how to map the start button in the game to the start button on my pad, so I couldn't get past the title screen. Admittedly, I have a talent for finding and toggling a setting that screws everything up without realizing it (configuring Dolphin was fun).

This was from Sonic 4 ep 2 with a 360 Controller plugged in. V useful, Sega.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dias posted:

I couldn't get either to run. Just crashes after doing every single thing possible to make them run, disabling movies, fullscreen, the dated options, compatibility mode...Oh well. I'll use that pocket change to get something else.

edit: also lemme give TSG a shout-out for Ananias, it reminds me of Pixel Dungeon in its simplicity. It's a pretty fun little thing if you're looking for a no-hassle roguelike on mobile.

Try these steps to get KOTOR to run:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic#Installing_retail_version_on_modern_versions_of_Windows

My copy only worked once I'd manually patched it with the file from LucasArts.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Played, finished and submitted a refund request for Gorogoa. It's short. I finished it in less than an hour (54 minutes). It's quite pretty, but it's woefully short.

Congrats on being a lovely person.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Xander77 posted:

It's (near-enough-to) my birthday, and as usual :siren:I'm handing out gifts:siren:.

Add me:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77

Tell me your SA name, and you'll get something good (unless you don't).

In return, please do a short writeup of the game, or ride the Gift Train.

Awesome and happy birthday!

steamcommunity.com/id/mrflunchy

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BexGu posted:

Finally looking at picking up Witcher 3: Game of the Year Edition and I know every one goes on about the story but how is the combat? Would it fix that "Lets kill some big monsters in a Action RPG" itch that Dragons Dogma did?

Also I don't know how long each play session would be, is it easy to pick up were I left off after not playing for a day or two?

The combat in Witcher 3 is at worst competent. I actually had a tonne of fun with it, though I went with a signs build. Setting people on fire never got old.

Also bombs are super fun.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm getting a new laptop tomorrow and wondering if there's a way to transfer my library list and categories to a fresh Steam installation. There's a tonne of non-Steam games I've added manually and I don't want to add them all again.

Not at all bothered about transferring game data/files. Can easily redownload them on a fast connection.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Fart of Presto posted:

Your best bet is probably Depressurizer (also mentioned in the OP).
Not sure how well it handles manually added games, but there is a way to save your Steam category configuration, so you can later use it as a backup, if things didn't get synchronized.

That looks perfect, thanks.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My fancy new laptop has Tobii Eye Tracking hardware built into it and comes with a neat demo where you look at asteroids to destroy them. Are there any games that actually use this well or is a bit of a gimmick?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't know about "well", but take your pick.

https://tobiigaming.com/games/

Yeah, I saw that. Was wondering if anyone had any first hand (first eye?) experience with eye tracking in a game and whether it's worth bothering with.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Thanks to Xander77 for Chroma Squad.

It's your basic tactical RPG / TV show production type of game. Essentially you're trying to make your Power Rangers TV show the biggest hit on television. This means hiring actors, crafting costumes, purchasing equipment, hiring a marketing team and dealing with legal challenges. Then, when you actually get down to filming the episodes it feels a bit like a very simplified XCOM. I'm playing on 'Interesting' difficulty and am at the end of the the first season. It hasn't really challenged me yet - though the enemies and bosses I've faced off against haven't been particularly tough. I kind of miss the elevation and intricacy of XCOM's maps - Chroma Squads are essentially big flat grids without much personality. However, synchronising your attacks is fun and I can see that the skill trees are going to have some neat stuff to play with in a couple of levels.

I'm not a huge Power Rangers/Sentai fan so I think a lot of the references are going over my head, but the game's got a neat sense of personality. It's not laugh out loud funny, but it is kind of amusing. If it stays like this I think I'll power through to the credits.

Thanks again for the gift!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jesus loving christ the live-action TV episodes in Quantum Break are total garbage (plus they have hideous diagonal screen tearing for some reason). Is it safe to skip them from now on and understand the plot?

Also I laughed that I was the only player amongst my Steam friends (which is mainly people from this thread) who chose the 'evil' option in the first decision point. C'mon guys, you're playing the ruthless bad guy - embrace it!