Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Too Shy Guy posted:

Hollow Knight is on sale again and just got the first of three (!) free content updates which added new bosses, a new fast travel system, and other surprises. I really, really think you should get it.

only 34% off? do I look like I'm made of money? wake me up when it's like $4 or in a bundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Which game is this? Grimoire?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

oh, hey, someone put an MLP diaper pedophile game on Steam

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

il_cornuto posted:

I can't decide if I'm enjoying Shadow Warrior 2013 or not. On the one hand, slashing demons up is pretty fun, the upgrade system is decent and the environments are pretty. On the other hand the two guns I've found so far feel really weak, as does the tiger roar power I got, and there's something unsatisfying about the combat in general. I recently played Bioshock Infinite and while I'm sure this will make some people very upset, I kind of feel like it did similar combat - chaotic, lots of movement and mixing melee, shooting and powers together - a lot better. If nothing else the guns and powers felt much more satisfying. I'll stick with it for a while but I'm underwhelmed so far. It might also be because I'm also playing Wolfenstein: The Old Blood and the gunplay in that game is fantastic.

The core combat mechanics are fun as hell, but the level design is absolute poo poo. I couldn't bring myself to play beyond Chapter 4 or so.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

this just looks too cute

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Man, Abzu is truly fantastic. Definitely play it in one sitting if at all possible, which shouldn't be too hard as it's only about three hours long.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

oh dear god they actually did a Humble Waifu Titties bundle with HuniePop. gently caress this repulsive trash

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Turd Herder posted:

Ya I full agree that the digging was pretty weak this time.

And I really think they did way more with this game then the last one.

Hmm, can't say I'm that surprised that the digging/mining/selling loop is weaker in the sequel. It seemed better suited to a procedurally generated world with an almost completely linear downward flow than a more traditional, handcrafted Metroid-esque design.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

RotTR, Seasons, Orwell, Furi, and Scanner were all on my wishlist. Nice bundle.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Just finished Submerged, and I actually quite liked it, even though I know it didn't get the greatest reception upon release. Yeah, it's rough around the edges and the gameplay isn't exactly deep, but it gets by on visuals, atmosphere, and the game being short enough not to wear out its welcome. Kinda reminds me of Lili: Child of Geos that way, though the core gameplay mechanic is very different.

Doki Doki Literature Club is... something. The meta stuff is definitely creepy when it wants to be, but I kinda wish it didn't use themes like depression, self-harm, and suicide for what amounts to cheap shock value.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

What felt cheap about it in your opinion? I thought it handled it fairly well since the meta stuff was intended to amplify the already-programmed neuroses the characters suffered from and serve as a way to comment on the hellish existence they have. At least, that was my reading of it.

YMMV, but it didn't feel to me like it was actually saying much of anything about its weightier themes or even about the conventions of the VN genre, just that the darker/meta stuff was introduced to subvert the generic VN it initially appears to be... well, for the sake of subverting it.

BTW, Slayaway Camp is a really, really good puzzle game. Better suited to mobile given the very short levels and touch-friendly mechanics, but it plays fine with a controller on a big screen, and it really does have that addictive one-more-level quality despite being a glorified sliding-blocks puzzler.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Steam page is finally up; hope this is better than WayForward's Aliens game for DS.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Aliens: Infestation had a lot of ambitious ideas that were half-baked in execution, like the useless cover system and having ~20 characters that all played identically. Also, the level design was sub-Igavania in quality and the bosses were boring-rear end bullet sponges.

Demastered at least has no cover system (AFAIK) and what sounds like a better-executed take on Infestation's character permadeath, but dunno about the level and boss design.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

meh, boring Humble Bundle unless you really like roguelikes and/or don't already own the LucasArts remasters and Abzu

https://www.humblebundle.com/day-of-the-devs-2017

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Delusibeta posted:

Load up the Steam client, and click on your username on the top right of the client (assuming you're using the standard skin), then click Preferences. Finally, uncheck "show VR content" and then scroll down and click Save.

There's no way to keep VR games out of your Discovery Queue, though. At least, as far as I can tell.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Guacamelee 2 was also announced at PGW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_82Cu3Xlx50

The original is probably my favorite Metroid-like to date, so this is great news.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I thought it was just okay. It's definitely the weakest of the "spooky supernatural happenings affect a group of teenagers in a rusted out town" genre that is Life is Strange, Night in the Woods, etc. which isn't to say it's bad, but I don't think it goes far enough with its premise. The game is talky, VERY talky and the vocal performances range from competent to "obviously reading from a script" and that hurt my overall enjoyment of the story. That being said it only takes 3-4 hours to complete and the music is very good, so there are worse things you could do with your time. I found it entertaining enough to complete, just not particularly memorable.

It's also buggy. Ran into a game-killing bug an hour or so in where the game wouldn't let me leave a certain screen.

I also encountered a similar problem in the same developer's Mr. Robot game for iOS; Night School really needs to work on their QA.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

Dead End Road, you've let me down.

They did let me wish for otters though.

weird, this worked for me

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The bad news: Telltale is laying off a quarter of their staff.

The good news: it sounds like they might finally be ditching their ancient proprietary engine in favor of Unity or UE4.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/927976024729640962

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

Obviously I'm not privy to any business TellTale does but this seems more like a result of TellTale maybe hiring up and licensing properties in the wake of the success of the first Walking Dead so they could make more adventure games (and faster) but none of those after ever really getting as big sales-wise.

Also perhaps them releasing too many, too quickly.

Yeah, that's what the "fewer, better games" part seems to imply.

Also, if they're really switching to Unity or UE4, there's no need to keep the Telltale Tool team around anymore.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Anyone have any idea what the deal is with DONT PLAY THIS GAME.EXE, whose demo is finally out now? Everything about the Steam page screams "deliberately cultivated air of mystery to generate viral hype for a game by an established dev team," but I have no idea beyond that. Maybe there'll be a reveal at the Game Awards?

I even thought it might be viral marketing for an AAA game at one point, but the demo running on Unity suggests otherwise.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Ulio posted:

It actually looks interesting but this is the first I heard of it so if it is some sort of viral marketing they are doing a horrible job.

I didn't say they were succeeding at it!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

Bayonetta 3 switch exclusive thanks for nothing

OH gently caress THEY'RE SHOWING DEATH STRANDING

Sega has sole copyright on Bayonetta 3, as with the original game (Bayonetta 2 is "(C) Nintendo (C) Sega"), so it actually might just be a timed Switch exclusive. Maybe.

Death Stranding, I dunno. The PC version hasn't been talked about since the original studio announcement, AFAIK, and it's using a Sony first-party engine designed for PS4, which is a decision that hadn't been made when the studio was formed. So I wouldn't be shocked if the PC version is cancelled outright.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

1979 Revolution: Black Friday is pretty good despite some low-budget jankiness. If the idea of a Telltale-style cinematic narrative adventure set amidst the 1979 Iranian Revolution sounds at all interesting to you, you'll probably like it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I gave Omegaland a shot, but I couldn't get past the lack of controller support or the framerate seemingly being capped at 50fps, both of which are inexcusable in this genre, IMO. Shame, as it seemed intriguing.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

So from early impressions, it sounds like the Yume Nikki re-imagining has ditched the open-ended, non-linear exploration of the original game in favor of grafting the IP onto a linear puzzle-platformer along the lines of a much lower-budget Inside or Little Nightmares. That's a shame.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Zetsubou-san posted:

has not been my experience at all, do they work at polygon?

Hmm, can you elaborate? Well, as much as you can without spoilers.

Some people seem more favorably inclined towards it than others, but "low-budget linear horror puzzle/platformer a la Inside, Limbo, Little Nightmares, etc." is in line with every impression I've seen thus far.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 24, 2018

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Zetsubou-san posted:

i've only played through one door but i know i didn't do everything i could do in that area, a part seems to need an ability i don't have, someone wants an item i haven't found. sure, the main path through that zone might have been side-on, but the side areas were a mix of both that and free-roam

Okay, so it has some backtracking and isn't strictly point-A-to-point-B linear, and I know from the last trailer that it has some areas that are free-roaming 3D rather than side-scrolling 2.5D, but as best I can tell, it still has defined objectives, an order in which you're supposed to complete things, the frequent prospect of death, and other traditional video game-y elements (puzzles, platforming, basic stealth) that were completely absent from the original.

I can't attest to the overall quality, as I haven't played it yet, but I don't see how its design isn't much closer to the likes of Inside or Little Nightmares than that of the original game.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 24, 2018

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Alwa's Awakening is $2.50 on chrono.gg. Worth it?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Vakal posted:

Dig 2 is very similar but has more emphasis on environmental platforming and and less on just digging straight down.

It barely has any boss fights though which I found a bit disappointing. Just one at the start and one at the end.

Didn't Dig 1 only have a final boss? Also, I haven't played Dig 2 yet, but the whole mineshaft in Dig 1 is procedurally generated, with only the platforming chambers where you acquire new powers and optional puzzle areas being handcrafted.

Dig 2 has a 100% handcrafted world and has much more of a Metroid-esque design, from what I hear.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Just started Owlboy last night and really enjoying it. Does everyone here hate it or what

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rakuen and SOMA for ~$4.50 = the first genuinely good Weekly Bundle in what feels like ages, and that's before whatever they add next week.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

great news for anyone who didn't like Firewatch and was hoping for ItVoG to be Campo Santo's final single-player story-driven game, I guess

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Heard good things about Pillars of the Earth, for those who like narrative games in the Telltale-esque mold.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

gently caress yes. Never played the original, even though I had a GC back in the day.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

END ME SCOOB posted:

I was gonna just keep this to myself but my take on it is, by and large, no. I kinda think Killer 7 being accessible again and not just a "lost classic" is gonna do a lot to kill that dude's rep with people who can play his work.

His most accessible from a gameplay standpoint title is No More Heroes, and the first one of those is intentionally grindy as gently caress so it isn't just a 2 hour game.

Edit: I did forget about the adventure games and those are probably better at holding up, so maybe I'm sticking with "he can't do action games for poo poo". Shadows of the Damned onwards are absolutely dire.

I enjoyed Killer is Dead. Not a great character action game by any means, but the gameplay is solid enough to make for a decent experience in conjunction with all the badshit weirdness going on in the story.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

leaked, wrap it up folks

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/1001537677714391041

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

This month’s Humble is decent, thanks to PotE, YL, and Styx. Barely heard of BWM but it looks interesting.

Not interested in any of those July early unlocks, so I may cancel. TBD.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

omg SE and Dontnod are releasing a FREE LiS spinoff in just over two weeks and it looks so loving good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EolUfLJpUwc

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

yo OVIVO is a really good arty relaxing minimalist platformer that more people should play, and it’s real cheap right now