Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
posting int he new thread

good OP majuju!

looking forward to our new world champions Virtus Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

RTZ betraying us yet again

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

laffo

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
not to distract from JPJ being a complete waste of biological material, but our boy artour is the topic of a piece in rolling stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/dota-2s-arteezy-on-the-hunt-for-big-game-at-the-international-w494565

we big time now

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
hhaahaha notail looks like me after like 15 vodka tonics :discourse:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Reality Winner posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/nalcs2

liquid vs. c9 starting up. really boring so far, but some weird picks.

ban this sick filth

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

what, it's real good and they both own

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
you are a broken person if you don't like Day9 :colbert:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
https://justpaste.it/19l57

tldr: Bulldog had the wrong type of visa, valve didn't tell him it was the wrong type, everything's a bit of a shitshow.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Wezlar posted:

I love how he blames Valve for not telling him he didn't have the right type of Visa with a handwavey "I probably should have looked into it more myself"

Like no poo poo when you are doing a job you've never done before in a country you've never done it in before you should probably check if you have the correct paperwork.

But it's all good because now he won't be at TI so everyone wins!

his US-based employer specifically asked him for his visa information, he sent it in and never heard from them again. it's not the biggest leap from there to go "i guess this means all is well". also to my knowledge you can't actually get a work visa to the US without an employer acting as petitioner to the government, so why valve/pgl wouldn't automatically start the application for all the people they want to employ is kind of beyond me. even if for some reason they want their employees to initiate the application process by themselves, they have to get involved. you would think that the responsible people at some point go "hey we've never been contacted by the US gov for the work visa of XYZ, something is wrong, better look into this".

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

IncendiaC posted:

Wait so does that mean valve has been sneaking in other talent using incorrect visas for years?

i've been looking around for more info on that as well, and... it seems that way?? apparently work visas cost money for the employer, so valve's workaround has been to make everyone attend events with tourist visas, with the players and talent simply saying they're here for a visit instead of work. which, if true, is scummy as hell.

https://twitter.com/scantzor/status/892324976178544644

(read replies as well)

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
fyi i have no way to know whether that stuff is true, so take it with a grain of salt.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
okay i have a way to verify that, turns out H1B visa sponsorships by US companies are public record and valve hasn't sponsored any players or any talents, which means none of them came in with a work visa. jesus loving christ

http://h1bdata.info/listlca.php?em=Valve%20Corporation

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Wezlar posted:

I guess I can see why he wouldn't think there was a problem if they never said anything, just personally if they asked me for my Visa and I had never worked in the US before outside of competition I would probably think "Do I have the right kind of Visa? I should look into this."

again, he can't get a work visa without valve getting involved, and apparently they don't do that, ever.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Wezlar posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if most of the talent really don't have the correct visas, but couldn't they be on some sort of P-1 P-2 or P-3 visas? Do entertainers need an employer to sponsor their visa?

edit: From what I can tell here he could probably qualify for an O-1/P-1 visa and all he would require from Valve would be a copy of his contract?

P visas are for non-paying gigs only, and getting an O1 is basically impossible unless you're a best-selling rockstar or david copperfield or whatever. players presumably travel on B1 visas because they're counted as amateurs who play for prize money only rather than a fixed salary, and i'm guessing talent is expected to lie. :shrug:

edit: i'm wrong, P1 visas can cover paying gigs as well. honestly i'm not an expert and this is all pretty confusing.

botany fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 1, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
watch this, sajedene knows what she's talking about better than all of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VSKbXVhr7Y

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/AdmiralBulldog/status/892346367800160256

https://twitter.com/AdmiralBulldog/status/892351040376406017

https://twitter.com/AdmiralBulldog/status/892351576710533122

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Ragingsheep posted:

OG, Liquid, VP and EG are the favourites - in what order people will argue. Personally, my dark horse is TNC.

IG and Newbee should be up there as well. ppd said he thinks there are 8 or 9 teams that can easily take the title this year, there's really no clear favorites. which is cool! i like how even the competition is, even though we (probably) won't get to see another wings gaming-esque stomp.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

RisqueBarber posted:

Seems weird to be responsible for over 100+ people's visa's and passports.

Valve: "Hey, do you want to come to TI and be an analyst? We'll pay you $5,000."
BD: "Absolutely, I'll be there!"
Valve: "Cool. Be sure to get your passport and visa figured out."
BD: "Oops"

As soon as esports become accepted enough to require P visas, valve will literally be forced to be responsible for visa applications for their events, so no it's not weird at all actually.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just a reminder that literally everyone else working as talent was able to get through customs including the russian and chinese talent, but Bulldog literally needs his hand to be held the entire way through.

just a reminder that valve is going to make a quite frankly absurd amount of money from this even and they couldn't even be arsed to spend 15 seconds on writing their prospective employees an email to tell them "by the way we usually skirt the law so just say you're going on vacation"

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Idc about bulldog lol

i don't give a poo poo about bulldog either but your knee-jerk defense of a massive company annoys me. valve had visa issues for years, and have apparently been bending the law for just as long. all the while they make millions of dollars off the people who work 18 hour shifts for them. you'd think in all that time, somebody would have had the idea to make a valve lawyer sit down and draft a three page document that goes: "you've been hired by valve to work an event, congrats! here's what type of visa you need, and here's what you need to do to get it. please make sure you follow these steps to ensure that everything works out"

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Majuju posted:

get the players in on a B-1 (athlete playing for prize money only), and all future TIs will be 100% American talent

host: zyori
panel: ixmike, ritsu, fluffnstuff, and swindle

every game cast by maut and ryuuboruz

i legit just shuddered in revulsion irl

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
those look good to me!

edit:

a witch posted:

Hell yeah boboka

i had him in my all stars :getin:

botany fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 1, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
man I'm hype as poo poo already

also Abed is turning 17 today, happy birthday Abed :toot:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Macarius Wrench posted:

What's the most prestigious dota event rtz has won?

take your pick

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/Arteezy/Results#Detailed_Results

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
on the one hand, chappie :ughh:

on the other, reso is probably a better player right now :shobon:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Liquid - IGV should probably be the highest level game here. man LETS GOOOOOOOOO

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
the stream isn't even up yet and already twitch chat is in-loving-tolerable

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah guys i know, don't worry :) i'm watching through streamlink anyway, so i actually have to go out of my way to see chat anyway. i'm just really hype for some dotes and posting away :coffeepal:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

not watching eg vs tnc SMH

i said highest quality game, not that i'm watching it *points to custom title like a badass lawyer in a TV show*

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Knowlue posted:

It's finally time! Get Hype! Bleed blue

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
why is radiant on top in the new pick screen, this is triggering me greatly

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax